Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2020 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• HangryMama
    HangryMama Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hey ladies, been praying for everyone who had surgery this week. So glad to hear nodes were negative squatchmama, hoping the rest of the pathology reports come back with good news for everyone. Still hoping I will get some of my energy back before my surgery in two weeks. Not feeling much different since I finished my chemo three weeks ago. In fact, new SE have showed up and not sure if residual from chemo or from the Tamoxifen they started me on. Hopefully oncologist will have some insight. Ready conquer another step in this fight.

• flowerkid
    flowerkid Member Posts: 83
    Options

So I am a few days post single radical modified mastectomy. funny I was upset about surgeon wanting my arm in a sling, but it hurts too much to move anyways . My doctor friends who visited me at home seemed to think I am doing well.

Ajmin3- I also am afraid to see what's under the surgical bra. But in my case the surgeon forbids me to open it. Post op appt. Monday with a nurse and then Wed. With the surgeon, maybe he will remove a drain then.

Trying hard to stay in fair spirits, I fear it will spiral downwards for a while after Monday when the reality of my new body hits home.

• Momofboys3
    Momofboys3 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hi January ladies! My plan has changed a bit. I originally had a lymph node biopsy scheduled for this morning then a DMX with immediate DIEP reconstruction on the 24th.

My surgeon called Friday morning to tell me after meeting with the panel & going over all of my latest results she’s concerned about how close the cancer is to my skin & whether we can get clear margins. New plan is node biopsy & left side mastectomy w/ expander on the 24th. We will wait for pathology results so that if radiation is needed we can do that before reconstruction. So at some future date TBD they will do right mastectomy & then the DIEP for both sides.

I’m of course disappointed with a more stretched out timeframe but I feel confident that we’re taking the smarter/safer route for my situation. So back to the waiting game..

• JaynerK7
    JaynerK7 Member Posts: 34
    Options

momofboys3, Feel for you. It’s so unexpected when things change like this. I had something similar in that I was scheduled for lumpectomy to be followed by radiation and was called in the day before surgery to be told the area of DCIS was too big and being grade 3, masectomy was the only option. The pathology after the masectomy further confirmed this was the right decision.
    You have the right attitude in believing that this is ultimately best for you. Hope you don’t have to wait too long for a surgery date.

• moxie32
    moxie32 Member Posts: 51
    Options

Hi all. My first post to the forum. I'm having a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on January 22nd. I'm sitting here right now waiting for my pre-surgery call. On Friday I am having a SAVI SCOUT placed.

My follow up with the medical oncologist is March 6. Once I have that appointment, I will know what my follow-up treatment is. Radiation for sure - I am hoping I'm a candidate for the Mammosite 5-day radiation vs the 4 week whole breast radiation. Then I will be on some kind of aromatase inhibitor for 5 years. Probably don't need chemo.

• squatchmama
    squatchmama Member Posts: 16
    Options

I have a naive question. What am I waiting for? If the nodes were neg and a clear margin what could show up in tissue? More than thought originally? Different presentation ? After the tissue then doctors will decide if chemo or not? I just started thinking again and I don't think I can get out of it this easy...if losing a breast is easy.

💖

• moxie32
    moxie32 Member Posts: 51
    Options

@squatchmama - My doctors said they would be doing pathology locally - I think that's when I get the margins/nodes info. Then they are sending it to CA for an oncotype test to see what the chance of recurrence is. I believe that's why they can't take chemo off the table entirely for me - they want to see what the chance of a recurrence is.

• dysonsphere
    dysonsphere Member Posts: 134
    Options

I found out this morning that my right lymph node is positive for cancer so now I’m not certain when my surgery might be. I may have to do chemo first.

• JaynerK7
    Options

Sorry about your news, dysonsphere. Hope you get more information soon and are tapping into all sources for support.

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

Hi ladies - hope everyone is doing well and that those who had surgery last week are on the mend. Who is having surgery this week?

I just had my pre-op appt with the plastic surgeon. I'll be having over the muscle silicone implants. I'll have tissue expanders placed at surgery and he says they'll probably be filled with about 200cc's during surgery. No clue what 200cc's is in terms of breast size. I'm having a skin sparing bilateral mastectomy. I'm parting with the nipple on the left side to match the cancer breast since I can't keep it on that one. My surgery is on the 27th and I'm getting nervous.

• kikind
    kikind Member Posts: 16
    Options

Hi everyone! I had the lumpectomy with sentinel node biopsy yesterday. Surgeon told hubby that she thinks/hopes she got clear margins but my tumor was spiculated (looks like an octopus). So there's a slight chance that all margins might not be clear. But the lymph nodes she took out all came back clear in the quick preliminary testing they did during surgery (Yay!). Chemo will depend on what final pathology report says in a few weeks. I will definitely have to have radiation but not for another 4-6 weeks.

The sentinel node mapping where they inject blue tracer dye into 4 spots around your areola kinda sucked. The upside is I've been cracking up every time I go to the bathroom because my pee is bright Smurf blue, lol. The wire localization was the thing I was most scared of but it was painless. The pain after surgery really hasn't been too bad. I took 1 pain pill last night and 1 this morning, I think I'll be ready to switch to Tylenol this afternoon.

One thing I can highly recommend is a booby pillow. I bought a set of them on Etsy and they are AMAZING! Covered in a soft snuggly minky fabric. The set came with a pillow that you lay across your chest/tummy with rounded notches to tuck under your arms, 2 little heart-shaped pillows that fit perfectly under your arms and a padded seatbelt pillow. They call them mastectomy pillows on Etsy and several people sell them.

• dysonsphere
    Options

Sugar77, glad you finally have everything set! I know that is a relief to know when everything is going to happen.

kikind, I'm glad you made it through surgery. Hope everything comes out okay! It's funny to think what a roller coaster we have been through already.

• JaynerK7
    Options

Hi Sugar, It makes sense to be nervousI hope you are able to reflect on how strong and resilient you are and really believe that going in to surgery. You know from my past comments, I believe this type of affirmation really had me ready to go into surgery. Its great when they can already give a bit of a fill to the expander during surgery. At least for me, I found it a pleasant surprise to learn reconstruction was already underway before I left the operating room and before I woke up. I will be thinking of you on the 27th. You've got this

• sugar77
    Options

Jaynerk9 - thanks for the reminder about the affirmation. It's so true and I'll be doing one for sure. I have a Reiki session planned next week so I'm trying to get all my energy and mindset aligned for the 27th. Your surgery will be here before you know it, too!!

• sugar77
    Options

Dyonsphere - sorry to hear about your positive lymph node. Have you met with a medical oncologist yet? Perhaps you'll have an axillary dissection to remove the node. Will you be having radiation? Sorry you're going through this. Please keep us posted. Cancer is a tough journey but we're strong women and we can do this!!!

• dysonsphere
    Options

I saw Oncologist today. I have to do chemotherapy before surgery so that has been pushed back. Honestly, I'm crushed that I can't have surgery and rads like I thought before. But I still wish you guys the best for your surgeries and I will check in on you.

• HangryMama
    HangryMama Member Posts: 7
    Options

Sugar77 glad you got your date and I am right there with you super nervous too, but I know we got this. My DMX is the 24th with no reconstruction. I am just not ready to make that decision yet. I am personally so ready to get this part of my treatment finished, and move on to the next thing.

Dysonsphere I am so sorry to hear about the positive node, and that you have to start chemo. I just finished neo adjuvant chemo myself my tumor was just under 6cm in July and the chemo shrank it tremendously. It is a rough road but effective. You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.

• Craftylife61
    Craftylife61 Member Posts: 34
    Options

Today I met with the surgeon for the pathology report. My margins were clear and so were the five nodes. It is triple negative. I got appointments for the port (February 4) and to meet with the MO (February 7). Sigh, more waiting. This journey has been going on since the mammogram November 6th.

Before we left the center,I went to the restroom which is right next to the infusion room. I cried when I saw those recliners. I’ve been there before in 2014 and all I could think is I don’t want to do this again!!! I’ve been pretty positive but today was a big downer.

Sugar77, I pray time goes quickly for you. Dysonphere, I’m sorry your plan is changing. That messes with your head, I’m sure. I am so thankful to have people I can vent to and who understand but I’m sorry as hell everyone on this board and others are going through this.

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190
    Options

*hugs* Crafty.

• Craftylife61
    Options

Thank you, Brilee76!

• deedeet405
    deedeet405 Member Posts: 27
    Options

Momof3boys- do you know if they are putting the expander on top of the muscle, or under it? Wondering which way they do it to prepare for future DIEP

• sugar77
    Options

craftylife - ((((hugs)))). Sorry you are having to do chemo again. I’m waiting to hear if I’ll need it again this time. I was triple negative before so chemo for sure. I’m hormone positive this time but won’t know the size, Her2 status and if the nodes are affected till after my surgery. Chemo sucks but you are strong and you’ve gotten through it before. Stay strong.

• Craftylife61
    Options

Sugar77, thank you for the positivity. This has been a rough day mentally. I am usually upbeat.

• Neamster
    Neamster Member Posts: 7
    Options

I had an MRI yesterday and am scheduled for bilateral mastectomy on Tuesday the 21st. It took 8 weeks from finding the lumps to surgery, which seemed like a long time while going through it, but looking back, maybe not unusually long? I had 3.1 cm lump and a .8 cm lump in right breast, different quadrants, therefore, mastectomy rather then lumpectomy recommended.

I have chosen to get left side done as well, to reduce chance of future cancer, and also for symmetry. I am 34 F, so would feel pretty lop sided. I have chosen not to have reconstruction. I am 74, so not as difficult a decision as if younger, but still difficult.

• JaynerK7
    Options

Hi Neamster,

Sounds like a rational, level-headed decision to me.

Timing seems pretty standard. At least in Canada. It’s kind of a paradox. On the one hand, things take so long, yet at the same time. It’s happening fast in a whirlwind of events.

Good luck on Tuesday. One step closer to it being in the rear view mirror.

• sugar77
    Options

Neamster - welcome to the surgery group. My timing is just dragging on. Ten years ago it was a month from my very first mammogram ever to my lumpectomy (Aug. 20 to Sept. 25th). This time around, it's been dragging on since my annual mammogram on Oct. 23rd...a callback and then a month to wait for the biopsy. Then even more waiting to get the date with both surgeons. Granted a DMX with reconstruction takes more time to line up OR space, surgeons etc, but I had so much waiting time before my diagnosis. Sending good wishes to you for your surgery next week.

Jaynerk7 - I see you are also in Ontario. How has your wait been?

Hope everyone is doing well this weekend. We are bracing for a big snowstorm tomorrow.

• ajminn3
    ajminn3 Member Posts: 284
    Options

Hi everyone- I am almost 2 weeks out from my BMX with reconstruction direct to implants (wasn’t 100% sure what I’d wake up with since it depended on what the breast surgeon was able to leave over. I am generally feeling good. Recovery is going better than I could have expected and I am generally pleased with the outcome of my reconstruction as of right now. I got my drains out earlier this week and that has greatly improved my mobility. I received my pathology results and it has landed me into the realm of chemo, radiation, and hormone treatment. I semi expected the outcome but to final hear it was tough. It will be a long road but I think it’ll all be okay in the end. I hope everyone has a great weekend. I’m in the midst of a snowstorm here too Sugar77

• JaynerK7
    Options

sugar77, I was diagnosed early May 2019 and scheduled originally for a lumpectomy in June. However day before that was to happen, I was called in to learn the area of DCIS was too big and I would need unilateral mastectomy (with placement of tissue expander) instead, which I had in August. Now a couple of weeks away from the exchange. Many call backs for mammograms and ultrasounds these past 5 years due to dense breasts and then a biopsy that they decided not do once I was all set up on the table to have 2 years ago. Hmm. It had become high grade by the time I had static biopsy earlier last year.

Bracing for snow and hoping they are wrong! Stay safe and warm!

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    LiveLoveLaugh2020 Member Posts: 173
    Options

I just had my bilateral implant exchange with fat grafting 1 week ago. (Bil NSM 4 months ago) I can't believe that I'm finally here. When you first get the diagnosis/news you are so distraught, overwhelmed and feel like you'll never get through it but you will!

Praying for all of you ladies and good luck to all of the January surgeries!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    Options

Welcome, Neamster and LiveLaughLove2020! We're glad you've both joined our community, and hope you find this to be a place of great support as you continue down this road!

The Mods