Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,211

I like it.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady

y  MICHAEL KUNZELMAN

Updated 6:20 PM CDT, August 9, 2024

WASHINGTON (AP) — A California man with a history of political violence was sentenced on Friday to 20 years in prison for repeatedly attacking police with flagpoles and other makeshift weapons during the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol.

David Nicholas Dempsey’s sentence is among the longest among hundreds of Capitol riot prosecutions. Prosecutors described him as one of the most violent members of the mob of Donald Trump supporters that attacked the Capitol as lawmakers met to certify Joe Biden’s 2020 presidential election victory.

Dempsey, who is from Van Nuys, stomped on police officers’ heads. He swung poles at officers defending a tunnel, struck an officer in the head with a metal crutch and attacked police with pepper spray and broken pieces of furniture, prosecutors said.

He climbed atop other rioters, using them like “human scaffolding” to reach officers guarding a tunnel entrance. He injured at least two police officers, prosecutors said.

“Your conduct on January 6th was exceptionally egregious,” U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth told Dempsey. “You did not get carried away in the moment.”

Dempsey pleaded guilty in January to two counts of assaulting police officers with a dangerous weapon.

Only former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio has received a longer sentence in the Jan. 6 attack. Tarrio was sentenced to 22 years for orchestrating a plot to stop the peaceful transfer of power from Trump to Joe Biden after the 2020 presidential election.

Dempsey called his conduct “reprehensible” and apologized to the police officers whom he assaulted.

“You were performing your duties, and I responded with hostility and violence,” he said before learning his sentence.

Justice Department prosecutors recommended a prison sentence of 21 years and 10 months for Dempsey, a former construction worker and fast-food restaurant employee. Dempsey’s violence was so extreme that he attacked a fellow rioter who was trying to disarm him, prosecutors wrote.

“David Dempsey is political violence personified,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Douglas Brasher told the judge.

Defense attorney Amy Collins, who sought a sentence of 6 years and six months, described the government’s sentencing recommendation as “ridiculous.”

“It makes him a statistic,” she said. “It doesn’t consider the person he is, how much he has grown.”

Dempsey was wearing a tactical vest, a helmet and an American flag gaiter covering his face when he attacked police at a tunnel leading to the Lower West Terrace doors. He shot pepper spray at Metropolitan Police Department Detective Phuson Nguyen just as another rioter yanked at the officer’s gas mask, prosecutors wrote.

“The searing spray burned Detective Nguyen’s lungs, throat, eyes, and face and left him gasping for breath, fearing he might lose consciousness and be overwhelmed by the mob,” they wrote.

Dempsey then struck MPD Sgt. Jason Mastony in the head with a metal crutch, cracking the shield on his gas mask and cutting his head.

“I collapsed and caught myself against the wall as my ears rang. I was able to stand again and hold the line for a few more minutes until another assault by rioters pushed the police line back away from the threshold of the tunnel,” Mastony said in a statement submitted to the court.

Advertisement

Dempsey has been jailed since his arrest in August 2021.

His criminal record in California includes convictions for burglary, theft and assault. The assault conviction stemmed from an October 2019, gathering near the Santa Monica Pier, where Dempsey attacked people peacefully demonstrating against then-President Trump, prosecutors said.

“The peaceful protest turned violent as Dempsey took a canister of bear spray from his pants and dispersed it at close range against several protesters,” they wrote, noting that Dempsey was sentenced to 200 days of jail time.

Dempsey engaged in at least three other acts of “vicious political violence” that didn’t lead to criminal charges “for various reasons,” according to prosecutors. They said Dempsey struck a counter-protester over the head with a skateboard at a June 2019 rally in Los Angeles, used the same skateboard to assault someone at an August 2020 protest in Tujunga, California, and attacked a protester with pepper spray and a metal bat during a August 2020 protest in Beverly Hills, California.

More than 1,400 people have been charged with Jan. 6-related federal crimes. Over 900 of them have been convicted and sentenced, with roughly two-thirds receiving terms of imprisonment ranging from a few days to the 22 years that Tarrio received.

This man was one of those who attached police at the U.S. Capitol with poles gets 20 years, which is one of the longest January 6th. sentences. He full well deserves it.

• illinoislady

I think this says it all pretty much about the so-called assassination attempt. We are exhausted by this yahoo, and only want him to take his lies and DRAMA and after the election go to jail or wherever as long as we can put him out of sight and not hear from him again.

• illinoislady

But what will you do if they don't send the money?

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Leave it to the dumb Reps. to think everyone will fall for their dubious memes.

• illinoislady

Behold —- the Trump and Vance campaign.

• illinoislady

Because they have decided to do unto others before the others get a chance to do anything.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady

I certainly would expect you to, Ms. Bash.

• illinoislady

It is a shame to be a ridiculous holdout on something so important.

• illinoislady
  • divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,573
    edited September 16
    Kamala Harris Makes Surprise Visit To Teamsters’ DC HQ; Union Hasn’t Endorsed A Candidate Yet

Deadline.com

Kamala Harris sat down today in Washington D.C. with the Teamsters’ leadership and members for what could be the precursor to an endorsement for the Vice President from the powerful union.  

The meeting was behind closed doors, with the VP exiting the 1.3 million-member strong union’s 25 Louisiana Avenue building by a side entrance at 1:57 pm/ET.

While there has been talk for over a week that the Democratic presidential candidate would meet with Teamsters chief Sean O’Brian and the union’s board, nothing was on Harris’ schedule for today. “The Vice President will be in Washington, DC where she will receive briefings and conduct internal meetings with staff. These meetings will be closed press,” last night’s White House guidance for Harris obliquely said. “Then, at 1:30 PM ET the Vice President will participate in a campaign meeting. This meeting in Washington, DC will be closed press.”

Today, the Harris team put out a statement confirming Harris’ participation in an International Brotherhood of Teamsters’ candidate roundtable – just like the Teamsters said on September 5.

VICE PRESIDENT KAMALA HARRIS TO ATTEND TEAMSTERS RANK-AND-FILE ROUNDTABLE

The International Brotherhood of Teamsters will host a rank-and-file Presidential roundtable with Vice President Kamala Harris on Monday, Sept. 16, in Washington, D.C.

Harris has committed to meet with… pic.twitter.com/JAz2Z5WIWC

— Teamsters (@Teamsters) September 5, 2024

O’Brien and the Teamsters board have previously met with Donald Trump and President Joe Biden, when the latter was still top of the Democratic ticket.

The Teamsters have yet to endorse a presidential candidate, despite some backlash from members after President Sean O’Brien made an appearance at the Republican National Convention in July. Despite past endorsement of GOP candidates by the Teamsters, O’Brien was the first Teamster leader ever to speak at a Republican National Convention. In his speech this summer O’Brien warned that the union is “not beholden to anyone or any party,” adding that he didn’t care about any criticism the move might draw.

O’Brien did not appear at the DNC last month, and the Teamsters have left their official endorsement up to the members. So far, the union has not announced the results of the supposed rank-and-file vote, though it has historically thrown its weight behind the Democrats. With that said, now Harris has sat down with the board and O’Brien and with the election less than 60 days away, an endorsement could come as early as this week, a well placed source tells us.

The union has not endorsed a Republican since 1988 when the Teamsters put their muscle behind George H.W. Bush. The Teamsters had previously backed Ronald Reagan in 1980 and 1984, with Richard Nixon receiving the endorsement in 1972 and in 1960. 

With the strong support Biden and Harris have given to unions since taking office in 2021, a number of Teamsters members were angered by the union’s donation to the GOP’s convention fund in January. However, playing both sides of the aisle, the Teamsters also donated to the Democratic National Committee, indicating less that the union is shifting alliances and more likely that it is hedging its bets in an unpredictable election year.

Still, as internal polling has displayed, a significant number of Teamster members said earlier this year they will be voting for Trump. That was before the blue collar friendly Biden stepped aside for his VP, before O’Brien’s badly received RNC speech, and before the union boss accused Trump of “economic terrorism” for agreeing with Elon Musk on possibly pink slipping union members who went on strike. 

Closer to home, worries of another Hot Labor Summer in Tinseltown proved unfounded for the still fragile industry. Led in no small part by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 399, the Hollywood Basic Crafts sealed their latest deal with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers on August 1 with the overwhelming ratification of their new three-year contracts with the studios. 

• divinemrsm
    Harris meets with Teamsters as union nears endorsement decision

Union leaders are polling members ahead of an executive board meeting on Wednesday.

Teamsters General President Sean O’Brien said Monday that the powerful union could issue a presidential endorsement in the coming days, after hosting Vice President Kamala Harris for a closed-door roundtable.

“We are going to look at any and all options, and I can’t commit to what we’re going to do,” he told reporters at the union’s D.C. headquarters.

Harris left immediately after the meeting without talking to reporters

O’Brien said the union is wrapping up polling of its membership ahead of an executive board meeting on Wednesday. He said those results will also be publicly released.

“There’s no secret that the Teamsters union is very different than most unions, and I mean that with total respect; we represent everybody from airline pilots and zookeepers, O’Brien said. “We don’t just represent registered Democrats, we represent registered Republicans and independents, and so we have to take [that] into consideration.” 

The union’s million-plus membership is one of the largest in the country and it has long been a bedrock of the Democratic coalition.

But it switched up its process under O’Brien, courting presidential candidates of all stripes — including former President Donald Trump — and has remained uncommitted as most other unions lined up behind the Democratic ticket.

O’Brien said that open-ended stance — which has garnered notable opposition inside the union — has been a “complete distraction, but it’s necessary because we need to make sure we make the right decisions” given the Teamsters’ diverse membership.

“Our sole focus is representing those workers, negotiating strong contracts and organizing new members,” he said. 

O’Brien has drawn criticism for speaking at this summer’s Republican National Convention — though he said his anti-corporate message polled overwhelmingly well with members — and was snubbed when he solicited a similar role at the Democratic convention a few weeks later.

• divinemrsm
    edited September 16

I think we’ve all been waiting to hear who the Teamsters plan to endorse, and it appears we may find out soon.

Especially after Elon Musk’s comments on unions, and FG saying he’d have a role in his admin if elected, it’s hard to understand why Teamsters would consider backing FG. But, hey, what do I know? Some people are certifiably nuts. Others vote against their own self interests over and over again.

• illinoislady

Someone who has similar thoughts to mine:

One of Ohio's most prominent newspapers published a letter to the editor blaming former President Trump for the assassination attempts that have occurred against him, saying he "brings a lot of this stuff on himself."

Cincinnatti's The Enquirer, part of the Gannett-owned USA Today Network of newspapers, ran a letter penned by a woman from the suburb of Sharonville. 

loser of the 2020 election; when he continues to spout how he wants to use our military to ‘round up’ and deport immigrants who are not White from this country, he brings the crazies out, and one of those crazies tries to shoo

The woman then suggested that the costs and resources to put up the Secret Service at Trump's properties are a factor in the near misses on the former president's life. 

"One thing Trump can do to reduce the chance that one of these crazies will attempt to assassinate him is to stop charging the American people thousands of dollars per night for his Secret Service protectors to stay at his Trump-owned properties, as reported by NPR and other news outlets. (I am sure each agent has their own room, too.)" the woman said. "Those excess monies can then be used to put more Secret Service agents on his protection detail. Otherwise, why should the American people continue to put out extra millions for protection that is only needed because the former president can't keep from lying and bringing these issues on himself?"

Ryan Routh is accused of aiming an AK-47 at former President Trump while he was golfing at his course in West Palm Beach, Florida, on Sunday. It is being investigated as a second assassination attempt on Trump. Fox News© Fox News

An editor's note was placed on the top of the piece reading "The opinion expressed in this piece reflects that of the writer. Gannett and the USA TODAY Network do not condone or endorse violence of any kind."

One of Gannett's newspapers published a letter to the editor blaming the assassination attempts on former President Trump on his own rhetoric. Reuters Photos© Reuters Photos

The Enquirer isn't the only news outlet to suggest Trump isn't blameless for the assassination attempts. On Sunday, NBC's Lester Holt similarly appeared to link the foiled plot at Trump's West Palm Beach golf course in Florida to his "increasingly fierce rhetoric."

"Today's apparent assassination attempt comes amid increasingly fierce rhetoric on the campaign trail. Mr. Trump, his running mate JD Vance, continue to make baseless claims about Haitian immigrants in Springfield, Ohio. This weekend, there were new bomb threats in that town," Holt told viewers.

FG is a mean-spirited, vicious and vindictive person. It took me a while to figure it out even though I knew upon first attempting to watch him on tv that I felt massive revulsion for him. I do think you tend to attract many of the same sorts of people —- and certainly when you are walking the walk and talking the talk as yourself.

In fact, FG should feel little surprise at all that he is causing chickens that come home to roost and reaping what he has so viciously sown. The only difference is that people in large numbers are not showing up, but single individuals that only seem interested in doing something to FG only. This man is not liked by THAT many, and his actions since his first four years and beyond have done little if anything to endear him to others save only for his hard-core group. Nothing he has ever done has turned them off. I really wonder that the other side often if not more, especially this campaign is just as weary, frustrated and tired of it all as we have been. And in the beginning, they were okay it seemed with a lot of what was going on. I do think a lot of them are fully awake to the destruction that has gone on with their party losing far, far more than it has won since FG has been the 'agenda'. That too has made some difference although they don't indicate too much upset, I do think it is there and not vocalized much.

Anyway, I think rational people will think of FG as getting a hearty taste for what he has been so eager to dish out to others. FG has had the stolen privilege of doing unto others, but now they are exercising the karma of returning in kind. No longer needing to pay back others, but the ONE who is the cause and instigator of most of their grief.

• illinoislady

Divine, I will be anxious too to find out who the Teamsters will really support.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,498
  • divinemrsm
  • divinemrsm
  • divinemrsm
  • divinemrsm
  • divinemrsm
  • divinemrsm
  • divinemrsm
  • illinoislady

As yesterday is history, and tomorrow may never come, I have resolved from this day on, I will do all the business I can honestly, have all the fun I can reasonably, do all the good I can willingly, and save my digestion by thinking pleasantly.

Robert Louis Stevenson

• illinoislady

Mr. Garland — I'm not looking at it as COOL that it was deleted. I hope you are watching this guy like a hawk. He is one of the dangerous in my book, Reps.

• illinoislady

AuthorIf You Only Newshttps://polinews.org/bush-blasted-over-trump-harris.../...

I hope this will open for you. The thoughts conveyed are that Bush should indeed man-up. He was a former President and former Presidents don't just pretend that everything stops when they get on their last helicopter ride to Andrews.

I'm with them Bush. You seem to be playing games just like Sinema and Manchin. As they say in my neck of the woods. You need to get the lead out, man.