Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Options

Comments

• trishyla1
    trishyla1 Member Posts: 50
    Options

If you haven't read it yet, Robert Kagan's essay in yesterday's Washington Post is a chilling account of what Republicans have planned for this country should Trump prevail in November. I never thought my country would fall so far from our promise.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,147
    Options

devinemrsm, love the meme!

trishyia1, I didn't get to read that essay. I will look to find it. I feel the same about our country! We need four more years of Biden, and keep Democrats in power longer than that. I worry that things will not be settled in November. My hope is that the NYC trial will show more who supported Trump, his true colors. There must be hope, without hope, all is lost!

I am concerned and hugely disappointed in the college protests. I never thought I would agree with Mike Johnson, and I don't when it comes to asking the College President to step down, but the rest of what he said about the protesters I agree with. Protest is a right of US citizens; however, it should NEVER cause colleges to go to virtual classes and shut down for the safety of their students! I was upset by the chants to "kill Israeli soldiers." The epidemy of irony, college students who should be settling disputes with educated conversation, but instead are promoting violence!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,034
    Options

trishyla, I just read the article you recommended. I’ll have to read it a few more times to grasp all the truths, but a few things stand out to me after the first read:

So, why will so many vote for him (Trump ) anyway? For a significant segment of the Republican electorate, the white-hot core of the Trump movement, it is because they want to see the system overthrown.

I actually did know this but needed to be reminded of it. As much as many of us want to live like John & Yoko’s “Imagine”, there are others who are literally bloodthirsty and relish upheaval and strife.

Another point from the opinion piece: “……anti-liberals acknowledge that the country they want, a country subservient to the Christian God, a country whose laws are based on the Bible, cannot be created absent the overthrow of the Founders’ liberal and defiantly secular system.”

We are dealing with Christian Nationalism and white supremacy. Again, something we all know but it answers the question we often ask “why would anyone still support Trump”. His base cares not that he is the scourge of the earth that he is. They want the turmoil he brings.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,293
    Options

If I'm wise, I won't worry about growing old, for I know that
    there's a time for everything.  I won't worry about whether
    someone likes me or not, for I know that all things can't be.
    I won't worry about the things that I don't have, for not
    having them diminishes me not one bit.  I won't worry about
    the future and regret the past, for I know that only the present
    moment truly matters, for it's all that we can live.  If I'm wise,
    I will keep my eyes open and notice things that other people
    pass by or dismiss as trivial.  I will stop and smell the flowers
    and marvel at the snow and ice.  I will give of myself as much
    as I can, knowing that in giving comes our true growth.  I will
    be grateful for each new day of life that I receive, for I know
    that each day is a gift, and it's up to me
    to make something of that gift.

tom walsh

• illinoislady
    Options

Going to try and find the piece Tryshla and read it. Sometimes my computer won't let me go far since I don't subscribe to some things. Reading what Divine said helped me get a couple of points.

It saddens me tremendously that we don't use facts and REASONS and blindly seem to follow nationalism and extremist Christians just because they don't agree with the government viewpoint. There is too much greed for money and power, and it shows up strongly in government circles as well as religious. No one bothers to look at how blinded their viewpoint has made them. How can they perceive or consider the damages that will be done with too much un-done should they get their way. It is chilling.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • divinemrsm
    edited April 25
    Options

I had numerous reasons for not attending my mother in law’s memorial. One was because it was at my sister in law’s church, over an hour from the community where my MIL lived for 70 years of her life and where she attended her own church. SIL is nauseatingly religious. She is also very controlling, but hides it behind a high, sweet voice and big smiles. She wanted to control who attended the memorial and organized it with a big religious slant on her mother’s life. My MIL believed in God but mostly because she got herself into messes and hoped God would rescue her. Well, it was dh and I doing the rescuing. But sister in law liked to claim it was God.

SIL won’t say hardly a bad word about anyone but will vote for the despicable orange blob. She tries to press her religiosity onto others, never acknowledging that others may have different beliefs. She thinks she is 100% right. I could not bring myself to walk into her church and pretend it didn’t bother me. Besides, we’d had a short, graveside service with just immediate family that I’d attended back in October when my MIL’s ashes were buried. That was more meaningful to me.

I’m not sure what dh told his sister or the rest of the family as to why I was absent at the memorial. I told him he couldn’t say it was because I was sick. But SIL hasn’t texted me saying she missed seeing me there or thanking me for the photo album I put together. She lives in her own little self made bubble.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,972
    Options

BREAKING: Key witness David Pecker blew a MAJOR, gaping hole in Trump's defense in the election interference case in New York, with his testimony that Trump's payments were made to benefit the campaign, NOT to protect Melania.Pecker was grilled by Assistant DA Joshua Steinglass about the "catch and kill" scheme that paid people money to prevent damaging stories from being published. He said he "made the assumption" the payments were made to keep women quiet for the campaign's benefit.He even mentioned two specific instances when he thanked Pecker, saying "I want to thank you for handling the McDougal situation... I want to thank you for the doorman situation," Pecker recalled.And as for his concern about Melania discovering his sordid deeds, there was virtually none. "After Mr. Trump announced his candidacy for the presidency, did he ever express concern for how... Melania Trump would think of his affairs?" Assistant DA Steinglass asked."No," Pecker confirmed.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,146
    Options

Time to dig out that "Ask me if I care jacket" again. She has secured her financial future for her and her son and I really don't think she gives a damn about him. He's just her banker and if I were her I'd make a withdrawal now and skedaddle before he goes to jail.

Now that they are investigating his legal fees and how illegal the payments have been made, Mar-a-Lago may be up for sheriff's sale.

Love that Pecker has been a real dick in his testimony and that he's not lying to protect the scum bag.

• illinoislady
    Options

I'm thrilled Pecker is being honest as well. I'm sure if that 'rag' is still on the store shelves it likely isn't selling as well. Well, I think he and Trump were never actual friends (not that Trump ever really had any, anyway), but I think it was more business. The Loon needed Pecker and Pecker just did what he did best.

I haven't looked for a long time but when I did I was always amused at the range of cover stories on several of those magazines. From the first day I saw one at the check-out lanes I never believed what they said. Not only the hype, but they manufactured pictures that were equally far from what was going on with these so-called well known people. It wasn't that I actually knew, not in a factual way, but most of the stories were too outlandish for me to come close to making them real. I love fairy tales and that was what it was to me, as gruesome and un-wholesome as many of them usually were. I knew someone who gathered papers on a route they had and sometimes he would have a few. I read a few and just thought of them as a waste of good ink and paper.

Betrayal, you are so right about Melania. I've come to think those two Trumps have some similarities. Both think they are the absolute cream of the crop. Got news for them — the cream is curdled, badly. Melania got more from her orange jerk than she should have as she just isn't that good. But then the one thing it seems the loon was fine with paying out was having someone good looking (depends highly I think) to squire around who would act thrilled to be the Mrs. Gag, gag, gag. In many ways they deserve each other but I too would head for the hills soon.

I feel for that young boy, but he has had the best of everything. I have to wonder what shape he will be in once the dust settles, however it does. I hate to say it and hope I'm wrong, but it could work out to be another worthless Trump.

• illinoislady
    Options

Absolutely — and they are indeed seemingly busy helping the Loon. They won't give him immunity — too obvious for sure, but they could stall the trial for a good long while for Trump. I have nothing good to say about this group. May they all rot and soon.

• illinoislady
    Options

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of the birds, the ebb and flow of the tides, the folded bud ready for the spring. There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature—the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter. -Rachel Carson

• illinoislady
    Options

“I am in shock that a lawyer stood in the U.S. Supreme Court and said that a president could assassinate his political opponent and it would be immune as ‘an official act,’” lawyer Marc Elias, whose firm defends democratic election laws, wrote today on social media. He added: “I am in despair that several Justices seemed to think this answer made perfect sense.” 

Elias was referring to the argument of Trump’s lawyer before the Supreme Court today that it could indeed be an “official act” for which a president should be immune from criminal prosecution if “the president decides that his rival is a corrupt person and he orders the military or orders someone to assassinate him.”

The Supreme Court today heard close to three hours of oral argument over Trump v. United States, which concerns former president Trump’s claim of absolute immunity from criminal charges for “official acts”: in this case, his attempt to overturn the lawful results of the 2020 presidential election and to stay in office against the will of the voters. 

That is, like the authoritarian leaders he admires, Trump tried to steal the 2020 presidential election and seize the presidency. Sometimes I worry that the enormity of that crime against our democracy is becoming normalized. 

It was not normalized by grand jury members who reviewed the evidence of that effort; they indicted Trump in August 2023 on four counts. But Trump responded by claiming that a president cannot be prosecuted for official acts and that a former president cannot be prosecuted unless the House of Representatives has impeached him and the Senate convicted him. 

Justice Clarence Thomas, whose wife, Ginni, participated in that effort, did not recuse himself from today’s hearing, and the court did not object to his presence.

Ruth Marcus of the Washington Post noted that the justices on the court seemed to be weighing “which poses the greater risk—putting a criminal president above the law or hamstringing noncriminal presidents with the risk of frivolous or vindictive prosecutions brought by their successors.” 

The liberals on the court focused on the former—after all, the case is about whether Trump should answer to criminal indictments for trying to overturn our democracy. Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson noted: “If someone with those kinds of powers, the most powerful person in the world with the greatest amount of authority, could go into office knowing that there would be no potential penalty for committing crimes, I’m trying to understand what the disincentive is from turning the Oval Office into, you know, the seat of criminal activity in this country.”

In contrast, the right-wing justices focused on the risk of vindictive prosecutions, which has been the heart of Trump’s argument for complete immunity. Trump insists that without immunity, a president will be afraid to make controversial decisions out of fear of later prosecution. Such a lack of immunity would destroy the presidency, he has argued, claiming that he is simply trying to protect the office. 

And yet he is the first of 45 presidents to be charged with a crime, and no previous president made any claim of immunity.

Nonetheless, the right-wing justices made it clear they were more interested in the future than in the present. In their comments they stayed far away from Trump and focused instead on presidents in the past and the future. (Conservative judge Michael Luttig noted: “The Court and the parties discussed everything but the specific question presented.”)

Justice Neil Gorsuch said: “I’m not concerned about this case, but I am concerned about future uses of the criminal law to target political opponents based on accusations about their motives.” Justice Samuel Alito tried to turn the argument for accountability upside down by suggesting that complete immunity would be more likely to encourage presidents to leave office, because if a president knew they could be prosecuted for crimes, they would be less likely to leave peacefully. 

Indeed, Marcus wrote: “The conservative justices’ professed concerns over the implications of their rulings for imaginary future presidents, in imaginary future proceedings, seemed more important to them than bringing Trump to justice.” Constitutional law professor Anthony Michael Kreis was more concrete in his reaction; he found it “[u]nbelievable that Supreme Court justices who see forgiving student loans, mandating vaccines, and regulating climate change as a slippery slope toward tyranny were not clear-eyed on questions of whether a president could execute citizens or stage a coup without being prosecuted.”

The court’s decision will likely take weeks and thus will delay Trump’s trial for crimes committed in his attempt to overturn the results of the 2020 election, likely until after the 2024 election. On Monday, April 22, former representative Liz Cheney (R-WY), who served as vice chair of the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol, called out Trump’s attacks on the legal system and delays to avoid accountability. In a New York Times op-ed, Cheney reminded the justices that delay would mean that the American people would not get to hear the testimony and evidence Special Counsel Jack Smith has uncovered before the 2024 election. 

“It cannot be that a president of the United States can attempt to steal an election and seize power but our justice system is incapable of bringing him to trial before the next election four years later,” she wrote.

And yet, here we are. 

Voters’ right to know what a candidate for president did to overthrow the will of the people in a previous election is at stake in today’s arguments. But so is the rule of law on which our democracy stands. The rule of law means that laws are made according to established procedures rather than a leader’s dictates, and that they are reasonable. Laws are enforced equally. No one is above the law, and everyone has an obligation to obey the law. 

As Justice Elena Kagan noted today: “The framers did not put an immunity clause into the Constitution. They knew how to; there were immunity clauses in some state constitutions. They didn’t provide immunity to the president. And, you know—not so surprising—they were reacting against a monarch who claimed to be above the law. Wasn’t the whole point that the president was not a monarch and the president was not supposed to be above the law?”

Indeed.

“[W]here, say some, is the King of America?” Thomas Paine wrote in Common Sense, the 1776 pamphlet that convinced British colonists in North America to cut ties with their king and start a new nation. “[I]n America the law is king. For as in absolute governments the King is law, so in free countries the law ought to be king; and there ought to be no other.”

The above is from Heather Cox Richardson for yesterday's date. Had to do it this way to get rid of all the non-essential swirls and minutia that get installed with a copy and paste.

• illinoislady
    Options

It is teeth griding at its best, but I really don't think in the end the justices will rule with the Loon. Just can't see them wanting to be derided for the rest of their lives and losing what little reputations they have left. Who wants to know they will spend the rest of their lives in the history books for aiding and abetting a former felon who got off because of them. Can't see it, but it is still maddening and all the more so since the media fodder will soar.

I do think in the end the documents trial will go on and there won't be immunity for it. It has been said that Jack Smith may pare down some of the charges to remove the need for judicial comforts for the Loon. I don't know about that either. It was always for me on the level of remains to be seen and there I presume it will stay. I know one way or the other the Loon will go down — just how and exactly when.

Interesting that he is calling Pecker a good guy because he is getting so solidly shoved under the bus. It would almost seems that he (the Loon) gets that their is no honor among cons/thieves. Just does not seem too upset that Pecker is spilling tons of beans.

Then again, when you are getting more senile by the minute do you really GET how bad things sounds for you the defendant. Hmmm. All interesting.

• illinoislady
    Options

Sorta screams out loud heavy-duty felon don't it. Too bad the right people aren't listening good enough.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Thinking Robt. Kennedy Jr. here.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Whole life is a lie. Chose that early on.

• illinoislady
    Options

not re-sizing the picture. Hail, the strong man, able to shoot someone on 5th. Ave. with a single bullet or sit in a courtroom as a felon with equal aplomb.

We are getting quite common to say the least.

• trishyla1
    Options

I don't know if anyone else saw it, but this is coming up on my main feed. It appears to longer be hidden. I hope that doesn't cause an influx of Maga types.

• divinemrsm
    edited April 26
    Options

trishyla, the moderators are good at keeping naysayers out of this thread. They might try to jump in here or there, but it’s easy enough to report them and the mods remove their posts. They are welcome to create their own conservative thread, but the last one they had moved to a different platform so as not to be moderated.

Oh, the National Inquirer has always been a joke. I always thought people bought them to read for comic value, not as a serious publication. The headlines are always so outlandish. But, I have to say that even tho their stories are over the top and filled with lies, often there’s a tiny element of truth somewhere within the tale being told. It’s just that the National Enquirer must aggrandize, sensationalize, fictionalize and intensify what they print to capture the attention of shoppers passing by their magazine racks.

• ruthbru
    Options

Hmmmm……should I let the Mods know? And/or Mods are you reading this? Do you want it back on the Active Topics page? It didn't go well when it was there before…….

• ruthbru
    Options

• illinoislady
    Options

Went and checked and same here. I hope the mods decide to make it more obscure again. I like not having to consider opening this up and seeing anyone from a group we have been able to mainly forget about. It is enough that we have had to deal with 9 yrs. of Trump and the most worthless GOP there has ever been to date. I can hope.

• trishyla1
    Options

The link is still on the main page, but thankfully no unwanted visitors. Which is a good thing for me, since I have no filter when it comes to supporters of the Mango Mussolini. Many of you live among Trumpers and have practice with not blurting out what you think of them. Not me. I live in Los Angeles and when we see anyone sporting MAGA merchandise we just point and laugh. There were a couple of middle aged men with pro Trump shirts in our grocery early in his term. The ridicule was immediate and widespread. They turned tail and fled. Such Broflakes.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,798
    Options

trishyla,

I too live in a no trump bubble in the Santa Clara Valley. I have seen occasional bumper stickers or maybe a MAGA cap here or there but I literally have no personal relationships with any trump supporters. This was not a conscious choice but I simply have no friends or family who think that way, at least that I know of…

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,798
    Options

Well darn! I just noticed that this was on active threads too.

• ruthbru
    Options

I just messaged the Mods.