Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Options

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,281
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Absolutely —

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Ravings from the 'second' coming. I'm so thrilled not to have been a Reps. all my life.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Can dish it out you know. And just what does he think his lawyers can do NOW for the abuse he has heaped on others since he was quite young. They should tell him to enjoy what he so voraciously earned.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Just for fun and because I needed a good laugh release from all the memes I read this afternoon. And because this was a couple of my cats.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,034
    Options

I love the tweet by the prospective juror. Very appropriate.

I’ve asked my husband to speak up, if the subject comes up, a bit more to others on his views of Trump. Dh doesn’t like controversy. He doesn’t want to argue. But I told him that since he is an older straight white guy, some people may listen more to his words. So he’s been a little more vocal.

We are both adjusting life around us by who we don’t want to spend time with, meaning Trumpers. The husband of a woman we both know does seasonal work for out small town. He asked dh if he wanted to work this summer doing things like cutting grass on vacant lots, etc. Dh is happy with retirement so he doesn’t want to take on the part time job, but most especially because he has seen this guy’s social media account, and it is all bitching about Biden and praising you-know-who. Dh wants no part in being around him. Plus, he said others working for this guy are probably of that same mindset. So dh said, “no thanks.”

Also, I think I’d mentioned my 95 year old mother in law passed away in October last year. She’d lived five minutes from us for over 30 years, so was very much part of our every day life, and dh was her only child, out of four, to still live in the area. She was widowed the year he and I married, so we looked after her. Well, dh’s oldest sister who lives an hour away planned a memorial at her church for her mother this weekend, inviting about 50 family members and friends. Dh and ds went, but I chose not to go. That whole side of the family are Trumpers. Dh’s other sister sat at her kitchen table last year and told me how she “loved Donald Trump.” (To which I replied: “Too bad.”) I knew she said it to try to rile me up. I did not take the bait. But neither was I going to grace the memorial with my presence. I assembled a very nice photo album full of 30 years worth of pictures taken of different occasions we spent with my mother in law. But to attend the memorial and put up with their shitty remarks about Shithead. Nope. No more.

I also stay away from my own family more, many who are Trumpers. My sister invited me to stop at her house over Easter where other family members were going to be, but I declined. At some point, people have to learn that their political views are costing them in terms of relationships. I’m no longer tolerating what I once did.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,144
    Options

DivineMrsM: It is so nice that you have developed a backbone against the trumpers in your family and I say that from admiration.

My MIL treated my children and I like dirt and DH would not say anything for fear of upsetting her. I took exception to this (and him quite frankly) and her behavior because I was always kind to her and sometimes went out of my way to please her. A few years before she died she moved to a local assisted living near us and I went several times to see her but when she began treating Dh like a doormat, I said enough. I refused to visit and made no excuses about it. Really she didn't miss me.

During Covid she had to move to a new assisted living because she was getting short on funds and I made it crystal clear that we were not footing any bills for her care. Her DD kept asking how much money she had left out of concern it would affect her inheritance and she said she would not pay for her care either. Now this is the DD who benefitted the most since she and her children were always well taken care of even though she hated her SIL. She told DD she would not leave any money to SIL. She died during Covid from old age and we did not attend the funeral services. I was surprised that DH did not go. He felt he had done more than enough for her while she was alive. He did go to an anniversary mass a year later but hasn't done it since. She was cruel to my husband on many an occasion but he was the dutiful son almost to the end.

• betrayal
    Options

Meant to also say you were a wonderful DIL to your MIL for all those years. The photo tribute spoke wonders about your relationship.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,034
    edited April 21
    Options

betrayal, I can understand the kind of relationship dynamics you and your husband had with his mother. I had a complicated relationship with my MIL. Since she was widowed, dh felt overly responsible for her. She took advantage of it. He didn’t see it, but I did, so you can imagine the problems it created. Meanwhile, she rarely asked anything of her other adult children.

Many times over the years, I would plead with dh to establish better boundaries with his mother, to no avail. Nevertheless, I had a good head on my shoulders and worked hard to create a comfortable life, so, similar to you, I always looked out for my MIL’s best interests. Making the photo album took a few weeks as I sifted through photos and put it all together. It was a way for me to work through some of my feelings. I also thought the album would be a nice keepsake for my son, who grew up with his Grandma being a big part of his childhood.

• illinoislady
    Options

I admire both of you Divine and Betrayal. It is best if you can keep as much peace as is possible. For yourself every bit as much for those in your family who may for some reason be a bit of a trial. Also wonderful for the men who seem to get stuck with the chore of providing what an elderly parent needs. Nothing is settled if animosity is allowed too much room. Also the child/husband in this case with most of the care gets it from all sides then.

Mother-in-laws generally know they can get away with sticking a little guilt in the right places while the other female has to buck up. Sounds like both husbands in this case figured out in the long run.

It is also great when you can speak up a bit about your political leanings and feelings. I don't do it much but then I did establish boundaries long ago in the family. Other people I know to be Reps. I just don't bring up anything political and in this town most of them don't either. No reason to destroy a friendship that is so good in every other way. Being a small town means that you will often rub shoulders (in local businesses or Dr.'s offices) so long before I came the practice which has remained to this day was don't talk politics period. It works for me. After a while you can generally sense (if you go to their home and the news is on and its Fox) who is who, but I still don't bring anything up.

The California group who later than me, followed me to my hometown to retire, started out being quite politically vocal. Denny and I are the only Democrats in the whole group. Interesting, because people (later they mentioned it to me) were really upset and un-happy with them. Not so oddly, most of those who spoke of it to me were in fact, Republicans which I already knew. They really do have a sort of un-written rule around here that it is a verboten subject. Okay by me.

Anyway, good for the two of you for having made the best of one of the worst situations.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,972
    edited April 22
    Options
    • it's telling that I don't have to explain who 'he' is…….

• betrayal
    Options

Must be a familial trait since junior seems to have the same behavior. Thanks for the laugh.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,972
    Options
  • betrayal
    Options

Ha Ha. Think that's like closing the barn door after the horse has escaped.

• illinoislady
    Options

Long day today — see ya'll in the morning.

• illinoislady
    Options

I shall open my eyes and ears. Once every day I shall simply stare at a tree, a flower, a cloud, or a person. I shall not then be concerned at all to ask what they are but simply be glad that they are. I shall joyfully allow them their "divine, magical, and ecstatic" existence.

Clyde S. Kilby

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Seems to have been dropped on his head a few times too.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Likely not gold shoes, crummy steaks, and fake degrees either.

• illinoislady
    edited April 23
    Options