Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,211

I probably won't remember.

• illinoislady

Hello voter — hope there is a lot more of you.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady

And you did a magnificent job Hillary.

• illinoislady

BREAKING BOMBSHELL:

Donald Trump is accused of committing ADDITIONAL Class D felonies in New York with stiff penalties.

I’ll break it down as an attorney;

In case you thought that the case of convicted felon Donald Trump couldn't get any worse, ProPublica is out with a bombshell story today.

Nine witnesses in the criminal cases against former President Donald Trump have received significant financial benefits from his organization, including large raises from his campaign, severance packages, new jobs, and a grant of shares and cash from Trump’s media company.

These pay increases and other benefits often came at delicate moments in the legal proceedings against Trump. One aide who was given a plum position on the board of Trump’s social media company, for example, got the seat after he was subpoenaed but before he testified.

If prosecutors can prove that the purpose of the benefits was intended to influence any testimony, this is a serious crime.

In New York, paying a witness can be considered a crime under several statutes:

•Bribing a Witness (Class D Felony):

•Bribe Receiving by a Witness (Class D Felony):

•Tampering with a Witness (Class A Misdemeanor to Class B Felony):

Let’s share this everywhere so D.A Alvin Bragg launches an investigation! 

I think just getting rid of him is best. I'm not sure anyone he was good too ended up actually testifying for or against him as such. If we are not careful we will look at though we are just trying to haunt him — not that the bastard doesn't deserve it.

• illinoislady

We were so fortunate to have had former Pres. Obama and now Pres. Biden for 8 yrs. taking care of our White House. Obama is one of the beautiful human beings.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,275

LOVE THE MEMES!!!!! I plan to wear Orange on July 11th if I remember! I took a picture of that meme to remind me!

Month long celebrations, while I hate them, are no big deal.

Michael Flyn, on the other hand, is a huge deal!

Wondering if anyone else here watches MSNBC and is sickened by the time given to Lara Trump? They allowed her to speak her lies without confronting her! I don't mind her being on their station, but I object to anyone remaining silent and not confronting her accusations!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,573
    edited June 4

maverick, I don’t watch MSNBC or any other 24 hour news network. Ten years ago we got rid of extended cable which included all those news channels. We now have basic cable and some streaming apps, much better. We get nightly news on the big three networks and we only watch them sporadically. By the time they air in the evening, I’ve read most of the news online so they tell me nothing new, tho we definitely watched it for a few days during Trumps trial and conviction!

• illinoislady

͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­͏   ­

Forwarded this email? Subscribe here for more

June 3, 2024

The fallout from the New York jury’s conviction of Donald Trump on 34 felony counts last Thursday, May 30, continues. Trump’s team continues to insist that the guilty verdict will help him, but that’s nonsensical on its face: if guilty verdicts are so helpful, why has he moved heaven and earth to keep the many other cases against him from going to trial? And why are he and House speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) calling for the Supreme Court to overturn the convictions? 

As political consultant Stuart Stevens put it: “I worked in five presidential races and helped elect Republican governors or Senators in over half the country. I have never heard anything more transparently desperate than a party trying to spin that there is some non-MAGA pool of voters who can't wait to vote for a convicted felon.”

On Friday, Morning Consult conducted a poll to gauge how voters were reacting to the guilty verdict. It showed that 54% of registered voters approved of it, while only 34% disapproved. Perhaps worse for Trump was that 49% of Independents and 15% of Republicans thought he should end his campaign. A Reuters/Ipsos poll found that 10% of registered Republican voters and 25% of Independents said that his conviction made it less likely that they would vote for him for president. 

Then, on Saturday, there was what Danny Westneat of the Seattle Times called a plot twist. It turns out the state of Washington has a law on the books that prevents felons from running for office. But because a candidate has to be certified to be on a ballot before they can be challenged, the issue can’t be resolved until Trump officially becomes the Republican Party’s presidential nominee at the July convention. Westneat asked, “Republicans: You sure you want to go down this road?”

On Sunday, Trump appeared on Fox and Friends for his first interview since his conviction. The interview was heavily edited, suggesting his comments were problematic in some way, but what was there was still bad enough. He repeated his plans to fire generals who refuse to do his bidding and to deport immigrants by using local police to round them up. Notably, considering his own looming sentencing, he claimed he never said “lock her up” about Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, a claim that reporters on social media promptly shredded with video clips of him doing exactly that. 

Media figures are puncturing Trump’s image. The verdict buried a story by The Apprentice producer Bill Pruitt, who is now free of a nondisclosure agreement, explaining how he and others created an illusion that Trump was a successful businessman and alleging that Trump used the n-word on set. On Saturday, an image circulated on social media of Trump leaving Trump Tower and waving as if to a crowd, but there was no one there.

Also on Saturday, top sports talk host Colin Cowherd pushed back on the idea that the trial was rigged, telling his listeners: “If everybody in your circle is a felon, maybe it’s not rigged. Maybe the world isn’t against you.” “Donald Trump is now a felon,” Cowherd said. “His campaign chairman was a felon. So is his deputy campaign manager, his personal lawyer, his chief strategist, his National Security Adviser, his Trade Advisor, his Foreign Policy Adviser, his campaign fixer, and his company CFO. They’re all felons. Judged by the company you keep. It’s a cabal of convicts.”

Cowherd went on: “[Trump’s] trying to sell me an America that doesn’t exist.” “Stop trying to sell me on ‘everything’s rigged, the country’s falling into the sea, the economy’s terrible,’” he continued. “The America that I live in is imperfect. But compared to the rest of the world, I think we’re doing okay.”

This morning, Robert Faturechi, Justin Elliott, and Alex Mierjeski of ProPublica reported that Trump’s businesses and campaign committees have funneled significant financial benefits to at least nine witnesses in the criminal campaigns against Trump, often at crucial moments in the legal proceedings. The pay of one campaign aide doubled; another got a $2 million severance package that barred him from cooperating with law enforcement. The daughter of one of the campaign’s top officials was hired onto the staff and is now the fourth-highest-paid employee, with a salary of $222,000. Payments to the companies of certain witnesses dramatically increased.

Faturechi, Elliott, and Mierjeski note that it is not uncommon for bosses to find themselves defendants, complicating their relationship with employees who might have witnessed alleged crimes. In such cases, lawyers advise the defendant not to provide any unusual benefits or penalties, to avoid the appearance of witness tampering.

Trump’s attorney, David Warrington, sent ProPublica a cease-and-desist letter saying that if the outlet and its reporters “continue their reckless campaign of defamation, President Trump will evaluate all legal remedies.” He demanded that ProPublica kill the article, keeping it from publication.

And then, this afternoon, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Damian Williams, along with the U.S. Department of Labor and the State Department, unsealed an indictment charging Weidong Guan, also known as Bill Guan, the chief financial officer of the global news outlet The Epoch Times, with using the outlet to launder at least $67 million. The Epoch Times is affiliated with the ultraconservative Chinese anticommunist religious group Falun Gong and supports Donald Trump and other right-wing U.S. politicians with both press and cash. It was a major promoter of Dinesh D’Souza’s film 2000 Mules that claimed the 2020 presidential election was stolen. A voter depicted in that film sued for defamation, and just last week the distributor settled with the plaintiff, issued an apology, and stopped distributing the film.

The allegation that The Epoch Times is a money-laundering operation comes on top of yesterday’s story by Joseph Menn in the Washington Post, reporting that the editor of another media site that pushes disinformation from both the far right and the far left, The Grayzone, has worked for Russia’s Sputnik as well as taken money from Iranian government-owned media. One of the people who retweets Grayzone stories is Senator Mike Lee (R-UT).

In the middle of all this bad news for MAGA Republicans, it felt like desperation today when the House Oversight Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Pandemic tried to resurrect Covid conspiracy theories against Dr. Anthony Fauci. Fauci was director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) from 1984 to 2022, serving under seven presidents. President George W. Bush awarded him the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the U.S., for his work on combating the global AIDS epidemic. 

Fauci’s position as NIAID director put him at the center of U.S. attempts to grapple with Covid-19, and for his work on developing a vaccine, Trump awarded him a presidential commendation. But first QAnon and then MAGA Republicans centered him as a villain who either started or covered up the pandemic, or forced people to mask or to get vaccines they told their supporters were unnecessary or even dangerous. QAnon conspiracy theorist Ivan Raiklin and convicted January 6 rioter Brandon Fellows were seated behind Fauci today; Fellows made pouty faces when Fauci was describing the death threats he, his wife, and his daughters have endured. 

Video creator and political commentator Michael McWhorter noted that Raiklin has made dramatic threats of violence against those he considers members of “the Deep State” and that he should have been nowhere near Fauci. McWhorter also noted that the two men were likely invited to the hearing and that it would be useful to know who invited them.  

Committee member Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA), who has skipped seven of the last ten hearings and who has expressed sympathy for QAnon in the past, attacked Fauci by saying he should be prosecuted: “You know what this committee should be doing? We should be writing a criminal referral because you should be prosecuted for crimes against humanity,” she said. “You belong in prison, Dr. Fauci.” For all the nastiness, the hearing turned up nothing.

Later, Greene told Manu Raju of CNN that Speaker Johnson should shut down the government over the Trump verdict and prosecutions. “We're literally a banana republic. So what does it matter funding the government? The American people don't give a sh*t.” 

While MAGA Republicans are insisting that a Manhattan jury’s conviction of Trump means that President Joe Biden has weaponized the Department of Justice and that they must take revenge, the trial of Biden’s son Hunter on federal gun charges, brought by a Trump-appointed U.S. attorney whom Biden kept on, started today. Former top Justice Department prosecutor Andrew Weissmann noted that Biden is “living the rule of law…in the most personal way. He is not telling DOJ to stand down…. He is not pardoning his son…. He is living what it means to have a rule of law in this country…. If you want to know if he believes it, you can actually see what is happening with his own son.”

Notes:

https://www.axios.com/2024/06/01/poll-trump-conviction-election-independent-voters

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/one-10-republicans-less-likely-vote-trump-after-guilty-verdict-reutersipsos-poll-2024-05-31/

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/plot-twist-for-trump-wa-has-a-law-against-felons-running-for-office/

https://www.propublica.org/article/donald-trump-criminal-cases-witnesses-financial-benefits

https://slate.com/culture/2024/05/donald-trump-news-2024-trial-verdict-apprentice.html

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/its-not-bad-for-me-angry-colin-cowherd-blasts-trump-for-selling-bad-america-that-doesnt-exist/

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/chief-financial-officer-multinational-media-company-charged-participating-scheme

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/03/money-laundering-epoch-times-cfo-charged-with-alleged-67-million-scheme-.html

https://www.thedailybeast.com/larry-elder-pocketed-up-to-dollar5-million-from-far-right-newspaper-the-epoch-times

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/06/02/grayzone-russia-iran-support/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fauci-commendation/

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/anthony-fauci-covid-origins-hearing-06-03-24/index.html

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/08/qanon-fauci-conspiracy-theories-retirement.html

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/31/g-s1-2298/publisher-of-2000-mules-election-conspiracy-theory-film-issues-apology

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/06/03/hunter-biden-gun-trial-live-updates-jury-selection/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/06/03/fauci-testimony-congress-covid-conspiracy/

X:

JayinKyiv/status/1797642197304766926

RonFilipkowski/status/1796987887054926101

TheTNHoller/status/1797026753304567828

stuartpstevens/status/1797072740383399978

kyledcheney/status/1797402289285570877

FPWellman/status/1797265151181124049

Acyn/status/1797246836329292150

MarkHertling/status/1797360216209563847

atrupar/status/1797257168548253746

atrupar/status/1797642153822216221

BillChristeson/status/1797667838527959276

ddiamond/status/1797661998744047897

Reichlin Melnick/status/1797728929891172762

TizzyEnt/status/1797704415958454658

briantylercohen/status/1797670282662215907

AWeissmann_/status/1797761774994751604

• illinoislady

I tried to edit the above piece about 7 different times and find to get it to go in I have to leave a lot of things that don't need to be there. Hope you can overlook that for the content of the piece.

• illinoislady

Pardon one another so that later on you will not remember the injury. The recollection of an injury is in itself wrong. It adds to our anger, nurtures our sin, and hates what is good. It is a rusty arrow and poison for the soul.     -Francis of Paola

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,498

Looks like he's got the seven deadly sins covered…….

• illinoislady

Again, I do apologize for the messy entry. It did though present a bit of hope where we mainly are fed the lies from the right. You'd think the Loon was running away with not only worshippers, but all of their funds as well.

I do watch MSNBC, sometimes CNN and sometimes another couple of lesser well-known channels like NOW. I try not to watch just one although they are all meant for viewers that are in the main Democrats. I also do limit my viewing (or maybe I should say I quit listening at a certain time) because I do know at some point they (even the lefties) give airtime to people I don't trust in any way or believe and sometimes even seem to go for the viewpoint being presented.

Even MSNBC will go where they shouldn't to keep the ratings going. CNN was known for a long time as the channel that gave both sides a voice. In fact, for a while I turned them off, but they are a slight bit better now. I've never been entirely happy with ANY 24 hr. news channel. Stems from my BIL's trying for years to push Fox on me. In those days, like Divine I only had the regular hour news programs. I didn't even understand then totally how Fox wasn't so much for news but propaganda. The one thing I will say when I started watching MSNBC was that they were and still to some extents do, rebuff Fox and so I always could figure out what was being touted at Fox. Sometimes, but not much now, I would even watch some Fox — until I could no longer stand the blondes or certain men like Bill Reilly who got the boot some time ago now.

I do think while it will take about the same amt. of work that we are not getting near the 'real' story yet on the Trump conviction. I don't know if the monetary figure we have been given is correct and while the idiot Reps. are gathering around and being extremely supportive, I can't say for sure it has so much to do with Trump. I think they are more interested in what they see as saving themselves and their party. I believe the article is correct about that. For whatever the reason I don't think the Reps. are seeing the forest for the trees. I just don't know why but they seem almost completely clueless as to how they are perceived by others.

Pres Biden is coming out now and calling out Trump and it is what he needs to do — remind EVERYONE what horrid shape Trump is in and how much worse he will be should he get a re-election. I think the stage is being set for choice and maybe setting it just a bit later than too early will be a good thing for us. I sure hope so.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,573

Jackie, the HCR newsletter was packed with info. Now, I don’t know why a sports talk show host is talking politics, but I hope he has massive influence, as this is what HRC reported he said:

“…on Saturday, top sports talk host Colin Cowherd pushed back on the idea that the trial was rigged, telling his listeners: “If everybody in your circle is a felon, maybe it’s not rigged. Maybe the world isn’t against you.” “Donald Trump is now a felon,” Cowherd said. “His campaign chairman was a felon. So is his deputy campaign manager, his personal lawyer, his chief strategist, his National Security Adviser, his Trade Advisor, his Foreign Policy Adviser, his campaign fixer, and his company CFO. They’re all felons. Judged by the company you keep. It’s a cabal of convicts.”

It could not be more clear!

HCR’s newsletter also mentioned the following story in the Washington Post (which I’d read):

The verdict buried a story by The Apprentice producer Bill Pruitt, who is now free of a nondisclosure agreement, explaining how he and others created an illusion that Trump was a successful businessman and alleging that Trump used the n-word on set.

In the WaPo article, Bill Priitt said that a lot of behind the scenes footage of The Apprentice was filmed, and if I’m reading between the lines correctly, I took it to mean that there is a possibility that Trump using the n word is somewhere on tape in The Apprentice video archives. Timed right, such a video reveal would make for an explosive October surprise before the election.

We know that MTGreene is a piece of shit. If anyone should be prosecuted for crimes against humanity over the pandemic, it’s Trump. MTG only shows up for hearings when she thinks she’ll get media coverage. As for why QAnon conspiracy theorist Ivan Raiklin and convicted January 6 rioter Brandon Fellows were seated behind Fauci after their horrific death threats against him, I have to even wonder if it’s the media setting this up looking to create some kind of bloodbath that they can film.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,170
    edited June 4

And this thread is now visible in active topics… again. Mods, what say ye?
    I messaged the mods as this is the second time it has happened recently. Wonder why?

• illinoislady

exbrnxgrl, I as well sent a message to the mods. Told them i was so thankful we were allowed to have and use a thread that saved our sanity where we could post our feelings just as they were w/o worry and that it seems once again that wasn't the case. I felt we were being possibly put at some risk and could they please let me know why this was happening again.

I'll share any answer, but it would also be nice if the mods would just answer here for ALL.

Thanks again if the mods are reading. We do appreciate having this outlet and hope you will help us safeguard it in any way possible.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,170
    edited June 4

Mods have replied that the tech team has been made aware of the situation. Not sure why this has happened twice recently but never happened before (to the best of my recollection) 🤷🏻‍♀️ However, as of right now, it’s still in active topics.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,480

Thanks for alerting us, @exbrnxgrl and @illinoislady via PM and e-mail. As we shared there, this is a technical issue that is being worked on and we will provide an update once it's been fixed!

• illinoislady

Hats off to our mods for helping us hopefully get to the bottom of things. I am so happy we get to come here, but I want to feel that we aren't being monitored by someone who might not be in agreement or even willing to kindly move on if they found they didn't care for what they were seeing.

I do indeed think we need our site more than ever. That said I have in deed thought from time to time the day could come (if I'm even still around) that we won't so desperately need a place like this to use. Well, it is a great thought. Definitely would be awhile.

Mods, I've always had help and understanding from you and want you to know it is appreciated. You have a difficult job at times — I do wonder if changing the site has produced a better perhaps situation for all of you, and so I thank you. It is interesting that this has happed again and I'm sure we are all eager to hear we have another fix with the hope it is permanent.

Blessings for your day and all of you.

• illinoislady
    edited June 4

exbrxnsgrl, You are in fact right I believe. To my knowledge and I've used this thread for a really long time now — back with Obama then. It may have some strange quirk with having given us a new re-vamp of the site since far as I know that is the only really major change in many moons that has gone on here.

I'm sure the techs will find where the glitch is that seems to set off the 'fresh' appearance of our site where it shouldn't be and we will all be fine. You all know me, as hope and faith are usually my middle name and I have plenty of that for this occurrence.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,480

We appreciate you saying that, @illinoislady! We're just glad to be able to help support this space so it can exist. It's been such a meaningful source of support for so many, and we just want it to continue to be such a place. As with technology, it always has its ups and downs and having to update is inevitable, so we just do the best we can as it comes up! All you can really do really.

We're thankful for all of you making this community what it is, and this thread is certainly a meaningful source of laughs and understanding for folks. People may have breast cancer in common, but everyone is always more than their diagnosis and it's nice to be able to get to know each other in a well-rounded way. 🤗

• illinoislady

Can't say I blame you.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Said the pond scum Josh Hawley who sure knew how to beat feet when he thought Trump's guys were going to get him too.

• illinoislady

Oh my yes indeed.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Boom.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady