Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,211

Your context is a little skewered people.

• illinoislady

Rep. President — had in right in his time.

• illinoislady

I've seen Lankford with a decent streak now and then, but it sure hasn't be4en in evidence much lately. Shame on you and all your cohorts.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady

And the Law won.

• illinoislady

I did not know this.

• illinoislady

How it happened.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Such a jewel. How did we ever do without him all that time.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Colombo is so great with his sirs —- and we all know who thinks he totally deserves it.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,573

Don’t know where you get your memes, Jackie, but they are great! ♥️

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,275

Great memes! This site is still on the active topics and I am fine with that.

I had thought perhaps a topic like this doesn't belong on BCO, but all of us have had breast cancer, I myself was diagnosed three times, and if this topic needs to be hidden, than many if not all social topics should be too.

To some, the forum on drinking is not great, especially when recommendations about breast cancer lean towards NOT consuming alcohol or at least restricting it. Yet many members like to drink, and they found a place to share with others. I rarely drink, maybe one or two drinks a year, but I have no objections with this topic, or any other topic. Unless a topic has unlawful content or promoted violence, I am ok with it.

I do wonder why BCO doesn't divide the Active topics into two categories, one for medical and breast cancer related topics and one for social topics? It would allow everyone to pick and choose topics they want to participate in. If someone is coming to BCO forums for support for their cancer, they shouldn't have to scroll through tons of topics that have nothing to do with breast cancer to find one that might help them.

Just my thoughts.

• illinoislady

It’s simple things, like a glowing sunset, the sound of a running stream
    or the fresh smell in a meadow that cause us to pause and marvel
    at the wonder of life, to contemplate its meaning and significance.
    Who can hold an autumn leaf in their hand, or sift the warm white sand
    on the beach, and not wonder at the Creator of it all?

Wendy Moore

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,170

mm,

There’s a bit of history as to why this topic is hidden. Many years ago, there was also a conservative leaning thread (The mirrror or something like that). As you can imagine, at a certain point in time , things became a bit contentious , bordering on ugly. The threads were then hidden and mods warned us not to cross post , and further stir the pot, or the threads would be closed. I don’t know why the conservative thread disappeared (lack of participation?), but if hiding this thread keeps the ugliness away then I am happy for that.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,573

mavericksmom, you raise many good points. The idea of dividing medical topics from social ones is interesting. I don’t look for forum administrators to upset the apple cart like that, tho. As the saying goes, sometimes the enemy of good enough is better. The site works as is and too many members are rocked when changes are made.

Your point about bco having a drinking topic makes sense, too. I drink about as often as you, but do not judge anyone on the drinking thread.

It doesn’t bother me if this topic is seen in the active section. Anyone posting with alternative views is quickly corrected that this thread isn’t geared for them and told they are welcome to start their own thread with like minded members.

• illinoislady
    edited June 5

Good thoughts MM. I think many different topics can end up on BCO because despite the fact we have all had breast (and sometimes others as well after) cancers, we do lead a whole life comprised of so much and as you mentioned — some parts can have an effect. Some can drag us down and some can make us feel better.

Taking your example I don't drink either. Maybe one or two drinks a yr. depending on an outing or birthday. People who were used to having a drink or two a day would likely have a tendency to keep it up and even if they didn't do a lot of it might actually find some solace in using it to stimulate conversations among those who lived that way before their diagnosis. I have read there a few times and am always amazed at the "drink" descriptions. I had no idea such a variety existed.

Our political thread has been around for a long time. People often feel great effect with what is going on with something as touchy as politics can be. Likely a big part of the reason it came up in the beginning is that many things good for 'cancer' patients had to and did spend time in government hearings and laws being passed etc. It is also a pretty contentious item. So, in time due to some pretty nasty words and disagreements, we were given this exclusive site and for those on the right, they had theirs — I don't recall but it was something like "The Mirror". Peace begin to reign again, even though both sides (we were guilty too) sometimes sneaked over to the other thread and posted. In time that was taken care of. Not sure why but in time almost no one posted on the Mirror anymore. An occasional person would show up but a party of one posting with no response usually doesn't work very long.

Guess the major thing is that we have many aspects to our lives — not just cancer. And everything that affects us could have an effect on our health. Politics is a big one and within the last years (for me starting with Reagan) and very much through having our first black President I have "felt" somewhat trapped by what goes on with almost no outlet. Having this place has given me a way to try to take a big deep breath and de-stress because I am among friends — who just happened to have had BC in their life too.

It is a good thought that it would be nice if someone didn't have to scroll through places they may not have any interest in, but then again — perhaps later on these things may once any crisis is passed, be something they may want as they transition in whatever way that happens.

I'm not sure there is a good way or best way, but my thought is that the simpler you keep something, likely the better. Since I have been here so long, I don't "use" or scroll actually like others might as newcomers do. I have the places I go and that is about it. I guess you could say I've made it "simple" for myself.

ETA: This topic is basically hidden because no one needs extra stress and if there is anything that seems to provoke stress it is differing viewpoints on politics and also different religions. Nothing seems to cause deep rifts and menacing attitudes, thoughts and hurtful words as people who disagree strongly about their politics or their religions. We are given the huge gift here of being able to be as expressive as we need to be w/o causing people who feel differently enough angst to feel they need to 'fight' back. I so appreciate having this outlet.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,480

Hi all,

Just a quick update and bit of background. Yes, as exbrnxgrl and illinoislady shared, this thread, along with an alternatively-minded thread were hidden from Active Topics years ago, after some very contentious back and forth. The goal here is that you can have your conversations here without inviting others to come and share their potentially opposing opinions, unprovoked, and therefore cause unnecessary uproar. Particularly in a contentious election year.

You have to look very hard for this thread (or bookmark it) in order to find it, so it's unlikely those looking to oppose your views will find it. This is very intentional. We did also treat the opposite thread the same way, but as stated, that thread seemed to go very quiet and eventually went away due to non-activity.

This being said, there does seem to be a technical issue that occurs where this thread will at times start showing up again in Active Topics (this has occurred twice now since the new platform) of which we are still investigating. However, in the meantime, the issue seems to have resolved itself and as other threads are being posted on, this thread will eventually fall way, way, way back into the pages of Active Topics, eventually to the bottom. This way, you can all quietly continue to share your posts without interruption and opposition.

We thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter! Happy posting!

—The Mods

• exbrnxgrl

Hey mods,

Thanks so much for taking care of this and the explanation. How will this topic eventually fall to the bottom if we continue to post on it thereby keeping it currently active?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,480
    edited June 5

@exbrnxgrl We have adjusted the functionality of this thread so that even when it is posted on, it does not go to the top of active topics.

—The Mods

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609

Thanks Mods for protecting our site from interlopers.

There is a reason for bookmarks so we may select the topic/forums we wish to participate in and to reach easily. I can add or subtract as fits my needs.

A far as the drinks topic, I do not see BCO in the role of moral/ethical arbiter and I do not think alcohol caused my BC, if I want to drink I should not have others judge me for it, and quite frankly if I had the misfortune to have MBC, I might choose to drink. If you don't drink, then don't look at the forum. BTW, having an occasional drink does qualify you as a drinker since it is not based on quantity but partaking.

• exbrnxgrl

No objection to the drinks topic what so ever. If you are of legal age, you get to decide whether to drink or not even if you have bc. Same thing with eating sugar, red meat, or anything that “might” encourage cancer. Yes, this is a bc forum but we certainly don’t need to be lifestyle police.

• illinoislady

Things keep turning up about Trump having had his interview on Fox yesterday or the day before? - not sure which.

So I just saw this:

Stephen Colbert wasn’t impressed by Donald Trump’s answer when asked about his relationship with God during a Fox News interview over the weekend. 

“I do very well with the evangelicals, I love the evangelicals,” Trump said, then unleashed a wild word salad.

“Religion is such a great thing, it keeps you, y’know, there’s something to be good about. You want to be good,” he said. “When you have something like that, you want to be good. You want to go to heaven, OK? You want to go to heaven. If you don’t have heaven, you almost say, ‘What’s the reason? Why do I have to be good? Let’s not be good, what difference does it make.’” 

Colbert tried to sum it up. 

“So the reason to be good is because of heaven,” he said. “That’s like a kid saying, ’If it’s not for the Elf on the Shelf, I would murder my parents. But [it’s] there, and I want presents.” 

I really had to think about that. I don't see Trump caring one whit about going to heaven — unless there is something to grift. He does indeed seem inclined to want to fill the air with his voice even if he has no actual knowledge or reality on the subject. It's also obvious he does not know the definition of good in the context he is using it.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady

You just know by what they've done what they are going to try and do.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,498
    edited June 6

As far as 'heaven' goes, Trump just likes the thought of streets paved in gold.......not the being good part (which, incidentally, is not how you get to Evangelical Heaven.....you have to repent of your sins; something very, very foreign to Trump).

The meme below isn't political, but I thought was hysterically funny 😄