Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Comments

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,164

Fortunately, the Executive branch isn't the President alone. Biden's staff and secretaries are also driving policies that actually take care of people and the environment, and I'm sure they'll keep it up through the remainder of the term and under Harris's leadership.

But I think your concerns about the Reps trying to spin this retroactively in a horrible direction are valid. Buckle up!

• trishyla1
    trishyla1 Member Posts: 92
    edited July 21

True, Mavericksmom. But they would challenge the election no matter what. We can't let that deter us.

I am normally a very glass is half full, doom and gloom, oh, woe is me kind of a person. Today, for the first time in many months, I am optimistic about the election. We just need to motivate our voters to get out and vote. I plan on doing my part.

And, as an aside. Nearly every person in this country under the age of 45 knows at least one out gay person, or gay couple. It's not a big deal for them, unless they're Evangelicals. And Trump already had that vote locked up.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,171

Can I please have some of what’s in your half full glass? I just want unity in the party, and as quickly as possible and yes, voter turnout will be key.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,574
    edited July 21

That’s an excellent way to put it, Trish. Biden was lacking in the sizzle department. And yes, you need that as a presidential candidate. The Republicans have dog vomit, yes, but too many Maga maniacs are doubling down on the taste of it. They are like rabid dogs.

Dems definitely have new energy now, but who the f—- knows how it will continue to unfold. The Reps are ruthless and have a win at any cost mentality. They will pull out all the stops and then some and try to capitalize on any tiny little misstep by the Dems. How will the media cover it all? Will they stay in the Rep corner? I am ALREADY seeing headlines where Trump is in favor of electric vehicles! Honest to shit! They are going to try and spin Don as the man for Gen Z. I hope the young people see the truth, are registered to vote, and that they will vote.

• divinemrsm

This was Heather Cox Richardson’s post 3 hours ago. It sounds to me like she believes Biden strategically waited until the Rep VP was picked before ending his campaign. I think Biden’s been lining things up behind the scenes:

Hey folks: Buddy and I are halfway down a river in our kayaks. I won’t be home for at least two hours. When I am, I’ll announce the time for a broadcast tonight. Deep breaths, everyone. This is a change, for sure, but now that J.D. Vance is locked in as Republican vice president, it has some significant upsides. President Biden has many stellar qualities, but above all, his sense of timing has always been unrivaled. I’ll see you soon.

• divinemrsm
  • divinemrsm
  • trishyla1
    trishyla1 Member Posts: 92

I love that last one, Camille. I believe we women will save this country. I'm looking at close to a 60/40 split in favor of the Democrats.

I think a great appeal to women might be something along the lines of: "You may not like me personally, but you're going to hate what Republican policies mean for you personally ". Vote Blue, no matter who.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,265

I have had several hours to think about things. I have been busy so only saw the tv and news in a very sporadic fashion. It sounds like VP Harris is picking up a lot of the delegate pledges. I'm ecstatic. This is not going to be a walk in the park, and more so for the fact it is coming on a little late, but Camille and others — I've lived for a long time feeling that a lot goes on behind the scenes that if we find out much about it at all it is much later — so saying that I do think HCR is likely right.

Pres. Biden was waiting for the strategy of it and it will turn out right for all of us. Many people have issues with those who are gay or indeed anyone not so called 'straight' - you can see I know I'll mess up all the initials - but I don't have one bit that way. If they are sincere, honest, upright people I'd rather they be with the person they want to be with. I think in the long run you are better adjusted people if you don't have to live something of a lie.

The Reps. have been doing it seems to me all they can to "ruin" us and so far I thought they have fallen pretty flat. They celebrated Pres. Biden's negative debate night till they lost a lot of their air time and had to take advantage of their guy getting shot at by one of them to get it back. Then they celebrated Pres. Biden's dementia all through their convention until even though he doesn't have it, he bowed out of the race. Oops, the guy they were sure they could beat gave them what they acted very much like they wanted. Bet they regret goading the rt wing media into keeping the 'gas' flowing. The women who were likely going to vote for Biden anyway will not miss the opportunity now for darn sure.

Also, I think much of this was not all that expected from the other side. I don't think they are all that well prepared and frankly, I think VP Harris is formidable. I remember her as Senator during hearings. Talk about getting sat down and put solidly in place. She always made it new as**ole time with her facts and her questions. Yikes.

Sizzle — yes VP Harris is full of it, and I think Buttigieg isn't bad in that department either. Two relatively young, bright, highly intelligent people who could easily stay for another 4 yrs.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,505

Well, this has been a momentous day. My sister's kids, spouses, grandkids etc. were over all day (very fun), so I only had a few chances to peek at my phone. Biden is a class act who continues to put country before self. I am excited for a new generation to step up to the plate, and hope this will energize not only Democrats, but all decent Americans who want to move our country forward, not backwards.

• divinemrsm

i’ve never been a fan of Hunter Biden, but he made the following statement after his father’s announcement to step down from the campaign, and it’s brought tears to my eyes:

“For my entire life, I’ve looked at my dad in awe,” the younger Biden wrote. “How could he suffer so much heartache and yet give so much of whatever remained of his heart to others? Not only in the policies he passed, but in the individual lives he’s touched…. That unconditional love has been his North Star as a President, and as a parent. He is unique in public life today in that there is no distance between Joe Biden the man and Joe Biden the public servant of the last 54 years. I’m so lucky every night I get to tell him I love him, and to thank him. I ask all Americans to join me tonight in doing the same.” 

• ruthbru
  • betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
  • betrayal
  • betrayal
  • betrayal
  • betrayal
  • betrayal
  • betrayal
  • mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,275

New day, new opportunity! Who will she pick as VP? That’s anyones guess, but how wonderful it feels just sitting back and watching things unfold, Vs feeling as if Democracy has no chance!

Like all of you, I couldn’t be more proud and honored that Joe Biden is our President!

• ruthbru

How about this? (I haven't read this anywhere, it just came into my mind.) A National Unity Ticket of Harris and Adam Kinzinger.... a 46 year old straight white Republican moderate with a military background and a profound hatred of what Trump has done to his party and to the country.

• mavericksmom
    edited July 22

Oh Wow, Ruthbru, nice thought! I have so much respect for Adam, he abides by the Constitution and is trustworthy. Unfortunately just like Liz Chaney, who I also have great respect for, they often supported policies I don’t agree with.

• illinoislady

The trick of living is to slip on and off the planet with the least fuss you can muster. I’m not a professional philanthropist, and I’m not running for sainthood. I just happen to think that in life we need to be a little like the farmer who puts back into the soil what he takes out.

Paul Newman

• illinoislady

Interesting memes and thoughts. Ruth, I'm still thinking about that one. Not sure we could have an actual Rep. on the ticket, but I remain grateful (if wary in some ways) that Kinzinger and Chaney stepped up to a plate over the likes of Trump. I still appreciate that they were willing to sacrifice for democracy as well.

Camille, I had a couple tears in my eye as well since it is easy to tickle my emotions and I was forewarned. No matter what Hunter has done, his dad held him up through the bad times loving him and caring as though he were a perfect person. That's really devoted to life and principle's. The Biden's have I think always been a wonderful family.

Long morning, lots to do and not a lot of tv time, but I remain the same — seeing the Reps. upset as all get out and sort of reaping what they have sown. I think while Kamala has some work to do I can't imagine that Trump can survive well at all. Also, the Reps. They will get it together, but their 'together' may not reach far enough at all.

• illinoislady

• divinemrsm

No offense, Ruth, but no way. This election is not about showing voters that Democrats are willing to be bipartisan. We know we are. Democracy is at stake. We must WIN. We need a VP pick that helps get us over the finish line. Kinzinger is not it. A national unity ticket would confuse too many. We’re here to play hardball.

• illinoislady

Democrats in Array

Kevin H. Kruse

Wow. What a year this past month has been.

After weeks of Democrats in Actual Disarray, the 2024 race was basically reset with the announcement yesterday that Joe Biden would be setting aside and endorsing Vice President Kamala Harris to take his place. (If you’re only learning this now, I’m going to have to recommend you get additional news sources.)

To the credit of the Democrats, it seems now that some of the delay behind Biden’s decision was the result of some careful organizing to make sure the baton was passed as cleanly as possible. A deluge of high-profile endorsements quickly followed the president’s press release, and the rank and file of the party has signaled its support with a staggering fundraising haul as well. Not even a professional spoiler like Joe Manchin wants to challenge Harris for the role now, which suggests this change in candidates will go off fairly smoothly.

The best metric for measuring the impact of this change, however, is the howling reaction from Republicans. They’ve already resorted to bizarre arguments that it’s somehow illegal for the Democrats to change their nominee a month before they’ve formally selected one. (It isn’t. Not remotely.)

And when that failed, they resorted to whining that the change just wasn’t “fair” because the Republicans had already set their hearts on running a campaign against the president and they already spent all this money on some not-remotely-pathetic “Let’s Go Brandon” flags for their yachts.

They’ll switch from self-pity to full-blown attacks soon enough, though. Trump has already set up a complaint that Harris will be an “illegitimate candidate” — because, after all, the Democratic Party doesn’t get to decide its candidate; Trump does! — which is just a slight variation on his original claim to fame, arguing that Barack Obama was an “illegitimate candidate” as well.

And this is where the Republicans just won’t be able to help themselves, as a base that has become increasingly misogynistic and racist in recent years — led by a candidate who couldn’t even stick to a “unity” script for his acceptance speech — will ramp up the ugliness to levels we can’t even imagine right now. But that ugliness will only drive away swing voters, I suspect.

Campaign Trails is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work, consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.

Anyway, back to the Democrats.

For all the useless speculation and West Wing fan fiction we’ve seen in recent weeks imagining some sort of “blitz primary” carried out on television chat shows or a wild contested convention we haven’t seen in my lifetime, there’s finally something to speculate about — who Harris will tap as a running mate.

Given the traditional practice of “balancing” a ticket and the unwarranted-but-real jitters in some corners about having one woman on the ticket, much less two, Harris’ running mate will almost certainly be a white man. (I know, Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer is my favorite too, but that’s not happening.)

And given the understandable reluctance to give up a Senate or House seat, it’ll almost certainly be a governor. (Or maybe a Cabinet member like Pete Buttigieg, but my money is on a governor who could actually put a state in play.)

From that narrowed list — in which the interests of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion winnow the field down to just white men — there are a couple that stand out to me.

Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro or North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper are both interesting candidates that would provide some energy on the campaign trail and help shore up Democratic chances in key swing states. Either one would be a great pick, though I lean strongly to Shapiro as I’ve been able to watch him fairly closely from the next state over.

After that, some potential picks that would be good but not great. Kentucky Governor Andy Bashear is terrific, but his state isn’t in play and personally I’d love to see him run for Senate there. Colorado Governor Jared Polis is another contender, though I’d say the same for him. California Governor Gavin Newsom is a good surrogate on TV, but there’s no way they go with two Californians.

So … Harris-Shapiro, Harris-Cooper? We’ll see.

Whatever it is, this campaign seems to have completely reset and, for Democrats, reset for the better in every way. Buckle up.

• mavericksmom

I do think it is ironic that the GOP commercials are now complaining about Democrats disenfranchising other Democrats by having Biden drop out, but thought it was perfectly OK to try to completely overturn a legitimate election that Democrats won fair and square!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,171

Besides Newsom also being from CA, he has never shown too much interest in being second fiddle, though he was lieutenant governor at one point. Despite Orange County and some pockets of Republicans in Kevin McCarthy territory, CA is definitely a blue state.

BTW, I love those silly arguments the Reps are putting up over the candidate change. Since the convention hasn’t been held, no Democratic candidate has been named so there’s nothing to change.