Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,211

Maybe Judge Merchan wants to send him to jail. Maybe that's why the delay in sentence.

• illinoislady

Definitely his people. He is in some cases more un-educated than they are.

• illinoislady

Never fit.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady

All I had to worry about was getting a spanking (they were in fact very rare) with what looked like a Ping-Pong paddle.

• illinoislady
  • divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,573

Random thoughts:

I agree, no surprise FG’s sentencing was delayed. He gets all the breaks.

I’m not sure I’m surprised with D Cheney’s speaking out about voting for Harris, but I will take it. It does make me think, “Hey, Dick, too little, too late?” I mean, why did it have to reach this crescendo before you spoke out.

In regards to Liz Cheney, I read this excerpt from HCR today, and would like if more Rep would see how anti-women their party is and jump ship.

“For her part, former representative Liz Cheney appears to see this moment for what it is. Although a staunch Republican herself, she is urging conservative women to admit they’ve had enough. Referring to both Trump and Vance in a conversation sponsored by the Texas Tribune, she said: “This is my diplomatic way of saying it: They’re misogynistic pigs.” She assured listeners, quite accurately, that Trump “is not a conservative.” “Women around this country…we’ve had enough.” “These are not people that we can entrust with power again.”

It is disappointing that the FOP endorses FG. I’m still interested to see what the Teamsters do.

I’m nervous for the debate, but I am that way with all of them. I’d love to see a Kamala Harris slam dunk, but the media likes to spin their diseased version of the political system for maximum profit, so there will be unpredictability.

• illinoislady

Contentment. . . comes as the infallible result of great acceptances, great humilities—of not trying to make ourselves this or that (to conform to some dramatized version of ourselves), but of surrendering ourselves to the fullness of life—of letting life flow through us.

David Grayson

• illinoislady

I'm glad that Cheney and Kinzinger and others are standing up for Harris. Some like Cheney's Dad were rather late, but at least are making themselves known. Why didn't they say more and say it earlier ??? Perhaps for the same reasons others seem to have when they are in the presence of a sociopath and don't quite realize that is what they are dealing with — it tends to make you feel you are not the right one to speak up — that others having more authority are the correct ones. This despite the fact that many people in other circumstances have no issues with speaking their minds.

It is likely one of the greatest issues that deeply sociopathic people can provoke. No one thinks they are the right one to take someone or something in hand. I am thankful for those who have, even though some are VERY late. I don't kid myself though and no one else here does either, as to why the Reps. who are walking out on FG are doing so. If things were 'normal'. I doubt whether many of those people are truly realizing how it feels to have felt THIS bad about the FG from the moment he supposedly won the presidency (still makes me want to gag) in 2016. I seem to recall many Reps. feeling iffy very highly about FG but thought they could exhibit plenty of control over him which turned out to not be the case. I'm not sure just when they realized it, but likely at the end and maybe towards the middle of FG's second year. He had rid himself of some of the 'good' guys then and started working on his cadre of yes men.

I am hoping that Kamala does well with the debate. She really should and likely will. She is so astute about keeping others at bay and not giving opportunities to get the upper hand by getting under her skin. That has been her role as a prosecutor and why FG calls her nasty. She can bully FG right into the ground by blowing off everything he tries to stick on her and once he starts to resist he is done.

I do feel concern. I'm sure Pres. Biden knew enough about how FG operates too, but got tripped up trying to change things that FG made wholly in-correct allusions and then going on with the 'question' posed. The same questions pretty much that FG didn't even bother with. I don't think Kamala is going to moved off her stance too easily and I do think she will blow off all the crazy for what it is and only move on things that might make a difference.

I'll be watching, but I do feel some angst just due to 'the' waiting game for it to come and get over. It could make a whole lot of difference though in those places that are close right now. I will be interested to see how 'honest' the media decides to be for both sides.

• trishyla1
    trishyla1 Member Posts: 92
    edited September 7

I'm hoping during the debate that Kamala laughs at every lie Trump spouts. Her microphone will be off, so only he and the moderators will be able to hear her. I think that would drive him right over the edge. She should also call him Don Old (with the emphasis on Old) every time he deliberately mispronounces her name.

• trishyla1

Talk about a curveball. Liz Cheney just endorsed Colin Allred, the Democrat running against Ted Cruz in Texas. I did not see that one coming. Wow. She's all in on destroying the MAGA party.

• divinemrsm

I appreciate your commentary, Jackie and trish! Yinz are keeping me off the ledge, lol!

• divinemrsm
    No, calling Grandma isn’t the way to fix nation’s child-care crisis

Petula Dvorak September 5, 2024

Why didn’t we think of that?

That’s the big idea coming from the GOP campaign for lowering the cost of child care in America, according to vice-presidential nominee JD Vance.

This isn’t like his incendiary T-shirt-and-meme-launching comment back in 2021 about “childless cat ladies” that the senator from Ohio now calls a “thought experiment.”

And it’s not him agreeing back in 2020 with a podcaster’s theory that the role of a “postmenopausal female” is child care.
    »» This is what Vance said on Wednesday in an interview in Arizona, when the host asked him about child care.

“One of the ways you might be able to relieve pressure on people who are paying so much for day care is to make it so that maybe Grandma or Grandpa wants to help out, or there is an aunt or uncle that wants to help out,” he told Charlie Kirk, founder of Turning Point USA.

Slap me on the forehead, where was Vance’s brilliant idea all those years we were paying more for child care than my paycheck could cover and it still meant a crazy scramble of pickups, drop-offs, carpooling and nanny-sharing, held together with Scotch tape and spit?

It’s especially tone-deaf in this region, where a swath of professionals don’t live anywhere near family. Heck, only 55 percent of Americans, according to a recent Pew Research Center study, live within an hour’s drive of extended family.

So Mamaw isn’t always nearby for free child care.

The lack of affordable child care is a crisis in the United States.

“New Childcare Data Shows Prices Are Untenable for Families,” was the frank titleon a recent data dump by the U.S. Department of Labor.

It showed that in some parts of our nation, infant day care can run about $15,400 a year.

And then families are stuck with the dilemma of derailing one career to stay home with the kids or simply sucking it up until grammar school starts.

Give up on the ambition, you say?

It’s not even ambition or the pursuit of fulfillment and happiness we’re talking about here. It’s survival. The living wage for a family of four in America — this includes housing, food, transportation, health care and bare necessities — is $104,770 a year before taxes, according to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Living Wage Calculator.

Take a look at the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ average salary chart to get a feel for who can afford this (a neurologist’s $271,470 salary can make this work; a dental assistant’s $47,350 haul cannot).

Even if a family member were to quit and stay home with the kids, that means thousands of dollars in day-care costs will be saved for those few years, but the gap still can’t be filled in most American households.

“Quality, affordable, accessible childcare supports higher employment and full-time work hours, reduces poverty, and reduces socioeconomic disparities in employment and early care and education,” according to the U.S. Department of Labor.

We’ve solved this problem before.

I come back to it every few years in this column, and I think it’s time to revisit this important piece of history again.

When America needed women in the workforce for the war effort, the U.S. government stepped in to make it possible for all those Rosies to leave the kids behind and head into factories to rivet.

It was called the Lanham Act. In 1943, Congress gave $20 million to create the nation’s first and only universal child-care program, known as “war nurseries,” which enrolled more than 550,000 children.

“The Lanham program broke ground as the first and, to date, only time in American history when parents could send their children to federally-subsidized childcare, regardless of income, and do so affordably,” according to the Friends of the National World War II Memorial.

The day cares had smart curriculums and caring workers, and some of them even sent mom and kids home with a hot dinner.

“By late 1944, a mother could send a child of two to five years of age to childcare for 50 cents per day (about $7 today),” the World War II history folks said. “That included lunch and snacks in the morning and afternoon.”

It was, according to the National Park Service, “the first time the US government acknowledged childcare as critical infrastructure.”

It took war for America to acknowledge this.

And today, we’re still having a hard time figuring how to be pro-child.

• Vance joined Republicans in refusing to vote for expanding a child tax credit that could help families with children pay for child care.
    • Meanwhile, the Republican Study Committee has proposed raising the full retirement age — when seniors can access their Social Security benefits without penalty — to 69.

So that probably means Grandma and Grandpa won’t even be available to fill the child-care gap that Vance is proposing — they’re going to be at work, too.

He’s surely reaching back into his own dinged-up childhood that he portrayed in his bestseller, “Hillbilly Elegy,” when his “Mamaw” helped raise him.

But let’s go back to the book to see how that — what he’s asking Americans to do right now — sat with him. Because, in his words, he felt bad for his grandmother’s reprise as a primary caregiver.

“Mamaw had her dreams but never the opportunity to pursue them,” he wrote. He said she wanted to become a lawyer who represented abused and neglected children, but possibly “didn’t know what becoming an attorney took.”

And when he lived with her as a child, he said there were “whispers from a lot of people to Mamaw that she just needed to take a break and enjoy her golden years.”

Vance wrote that he felt guilty about being her charge.

“That feeling of being a burden to Mamaw wasn’t something I imagined; it came from a number of small cues, from the things she muttered under her breath, and from the weariness she wore like a dark piece of clothing. I didn’t want that …”

But it’s okay for the rest of Americans?

• divinemrsm
  • divinemrsm
  • trishyla1

Yeah. That about covers it for me, Camille.

• illinoislady

Does it for me as well. Really enjoyed reading the Petula Dvorak article. I did not read Hillbilly Elegy. I always meant to since it sounded like something that might be familiar to me and the tiny ( 200 people tops) town where I grew up although that town is considered central Illinois.

So Vance knows that the older generation per his own personal experience really may not be very good for the elder (hopefully, but maybe not) retired grandparents. I kept my own granddaughters for a bit over a year a short while before I was retired so I know it can be a bit wearing. Mind you, I'm fine with it and I'd do it all over, but it wasn't the easiest — full time with a baby in diapers at near retirement. I've done easier things. Made me sort of wonder what other dichotomies might be lurking in his book to possibly haunt him just a bit. 😁😁😁

• illinoislady

yes — worked fine. They are all so greedy. could have been a tad of blackmail of some type as well.

• illinoislady

Hmmm, have they noticed yet???

• illinoislady

James Murdoch endorses Kamala Harris for president

Son of media mogul Rupert backs Democrat, who would ensure ‘fair policies that support the rule of law’

Edward Helmore, in New York6 September 2024 • 9:10pm