Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Scared of bone mets and so tired of being worried

Options

Comments

• solarsister
    solarsister Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2021
    Options

Serenity - Oh, I didn’t know it was bad for your stomach to split the pills but I can imagine, they are bad enough for the stomach as it is.

I have a range of osteoporosis safe exercises for my core and hip area but I’ve been too afraid to do them now, I’m so afraid to trigger the pain and right now I can’t tell the difference between muscle soreness from a workout and the other pain I’m having.

Thank you for telling me about your experience with sciatica. I so hope this is “just” that for me too.

I have an appointment with my primary doc this Tuesday and I’m going to BEG him to give me something like Ativan. They are very restricted when it comes to prescribe these kind of meds here in Sweden though, so I’m a little worried he won’t. I’m sorry you have had this anxiety before scans too.

I do forget to breathe properly all the time, so thanks for the reminder

• edj3
    edj3 Member Posts: 1,579
    edited May 2021
    Options

SolarSister, I literally just read this article and thought of you:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/30/do...

It's about why you should keep working out when you have back pain :)

• trinigirl50
    trinigirl50 Member Posts: 158
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi Solar

here is what I am doing (waiting right now to find out if I have bone mets in shoulder).

1. Plan my funeral, plan how/when I am going to tell my husband and teenage son. Imagine life for my husband and son without me (really going into the detail of it).

2. Understand that life will get difficult and changed BUT accept they will be okay without me. They will be happy again and enjoy life again.

3. Put all that away after I have gone there.

4. Embrace that wonderful phrase "don't rehearse a tragedy", decide that it is not mets but osteoarthritis etc etc.

4. Get on with things as if I will live to 88. which includes staying off of google and limiting time on this site.

I may well be stage 4, but until someone tells me otherwise I am going to assume I am not. There is no harm in rehearsing a triumph - bad news is bad news no matter how you felt before the actual bad news.

5. Get the Ativan.

Good luck

• trinigirl50
    edited May 2021
    Options

I probablyHappy also need to re-learn to count as well.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,941
    edited May 2021
    Options

SolarSister, besides arthritis, several years ago I had a disc problem in my lower back. My right leg hurt, constantly, and I was losing the use of it. My back hurt, also constantly, and I could not find one comfortable position. I was living on prescription pain pills and seriously considered suicide. I finally had surgery and when I woke up in the recovery room, I said "I don't hurt!" and burst into tears. THAT's how bad back problems can feel. From what I've read, neither bone mets nor osteoporosis hurt to that degree unless a bone has fractured.

• solarsister
    edited May 2021
    Options

Thank you edj3! Great article and it says the exact same thing as my PT says. I actually did a couple of the exercises she gave me today with the courage from all of you, and it didn’t feel bad at all.

trinigirl50 - Well I need to learn how to spell Mets (so annoyed that I wrote Nets in the topic and can’t correct :))

You are right, so right. I’m doing no. 1 to 2 in my head over and over again till I’m a wreck and then repeat. It’s terrible and I’ve got to stop. NO googling tonight or tomorrow! And I WILL get on to no. 3, 4, 4 and the5 :)

• solarsister
    edited May 2021
    Options

And trini, I forgot to say I’m sorry you’re going through something similar. And I hope we’ll both be in the clear soon.

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 468
    edited May 2021
    Options

The anxiety just amplifies every little thing. I will says that when I run or walk I have to do stretches b/4 and after, or I will feel piriformis related pain. Pain is very draining so you mix that with scanxiety, and heck give yourself credit for functioning at all.

• solarsister
    edited June 2021
    Options

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give you a short update. I have been feeling increasingly better in my lower back and this weekend I haven’t had any pain AT ALL! Yesterday I cleaned the apartment and today I went to the gym, lifted weights and did my core exercises and NO PAIN. No shortness of breath on the elliptical. I actually feel I am in pretty good shape, and my appetite is back to normal. This has of course made a huge difference on my mental health.

The MRI is Saturday next week. I almost feel like I want to cancel the whole thing. I know there is a possibility that something shows up that isn’t manifesting in symptoms yet, like my MO said. And I feel like I don’t want to find out. I’m not going to cancel. There must be a point that I find my self in this situation, right?

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,255
    edited June 2021
    Options

Great to hear!!

Yes, the medical hamster-wheel can easily cause "incidental" findings that may or may not be important...small cysts that are nothing, or, or....but knowledge is power. Glad you plan to keep the appointment. If the pain comes back and you get the all clear, you won't put yourself through as much anguish.

• trinigirl50
    edited June 2021
    Options

Great news!! I agree you might as well go ahead with your appointment. At the very least you will have a new baseline.

Good luck.

• solarsister
    edited June 2021
    Options

No news yet, I had my MRI this Saturday so waiting for my MO to call hopefully this week. How long did you have to wait for an answer? At the MRI they said the radiologist would send their report to my MO "in a couple of work days" so I'm thinking tomorrow she'll have it at the earliest, maybe later.

Ok so my anxiety is off the charts again. I was ok last week but now...it's tough. This might be the last days that I at least have a window, the possibility, of not having mets. Before the weekend I might know. I'm also worried that she won't have time to call this week and maybe I'll have to wait till next week.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my physiotherapist and I'm thinking I should cancel, but then I'm thinking it might be good for me to go there. I've noticed the last week my hip on "the bad side" is making a snapping sound when I do certain movements. Don't know if good or bad. I feel very tense in my hip/pelvic area and sometimes there's a weird feeling in my tailbone.

Well I just had to write again, I don't have any news other than that I'm not handling this very well.

• wallycat
    edited June 2021
    Options

Waiting for results is THE WORST. I feel your angst.

If we have pain in one area, our body compensates and can cause pain in other areas from bad alignment....just to say, new pain doesn't have to mean anything. At least your MRI didn't fail on you, like mine did, LOL.

Sending good thoughts and gentle hugs.

• solarsister
    edited June 2021
    Options

I hear you Wallycat. Agh, so tired of speculating back and forth. Soon I will know.

I don’t think the MRI failed on me at least, but I was pretty out of it from the benzodiazepines I took (my dads 75-year old girlfriend is also my dealer now). I think I hallucinated in that dreadful noisy tube, dreamt I was in a space pod floating aimlessly

• wallycat
    edited June 2021
    Options

The MRIs never bother me. I used to be one of the guinea pigs when GE was first starting to make them (easy way to get paid for sleeping). Ear plugs, and off I go to la la land....

• positive2strong
    positive2strong Member Posts: 209
    edited June 2021
    Options

I will celebrate 5 years this August and yesterday I found out that I have a mass on spine Lumbar 1

I am waiting for appt for biopsy. I am scared also

• positive2strong
    edited June 2021
    Options

they just found a mass on my lumbar 1 and waiting to get biopsy

I am so afraid this is malignant.

• solarsister
    edited June 2021
    Options

Got the results: NO METS!

I'll write more later, busy crying tears of joy and trying to comprehend. There's no explanation to my aches and pains in the report.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    edited June 2021
    Options

YAY SolarSister!!

Positive2Strong, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I hope your results come back benign, and wishing you strength through the journey.

• solarsister
    edited June 2021
    Options

Positive2Strong - Sorry I missed your post! I'm so sorry, it's just awful going through this. I really really hope the biopsy comes out benign.

• littlecheese
    littlecheese Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2021
    Options

I just finished treatment in April and was feeling fine...then I noticed a bump on my implant and a hard bump below my clavicle on a rib. PS ordered an ultrasound and confirmed it was just a fold in my implant but all they could say about the hard spot was “shadowy bone structure”. Now waiting for CT scan in 2 weeks. Treatment was easy compared to the mental anguish of waiting

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,791
    edited June 2021
    Options

solar sister,

What wonderful news! Relax and treat yourself well. Also, consider working on your health anxiety as experiencing such high levels of stress and anxiety are also very bad for you! I know you will have a good day today 🤗.

• wallycat
    edited June 2021
    Options

Positive2strong, I am sorry you are joining the wait and worry club. I hope you get b-9 results.

Solarsister, I am so happy to hear you can move away from the worry. We all need to find ways to manage the anxiety since the odds are new things will crop up from time to time, but that is hard. At least it is for me. As for what could be causing the pain...anything from degenerative joints as we get older, pulled muscles or tendons, bursitis or pinched nerves, poor alignment, the list goes on....Go celebrate with your family and enjoy the great news!

• solarsister
    edited June 2021
    Options

exbrnxgrl - yes I’m thinking the same. It’s so hard though, I’m going to have to try.

Wallycat - I want to thank you for being there just talking to me during these last weeks. And everyone who did. Chances are I’ll find myself in this situation again. What I learned this time is: Talking helps, anti anxiety and sleeping pills help and it’s ok to take them. Knowing that mets aren’t immediate death helps, knowing that my kids will be older next time helps.

I was completely knocked out by one glass of cava today :D I am exhausted!

Gentle hugs to all of you

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 468
    edited June 2021
    Options

I’m so happy for you!! great news solar sister

• trinigirl50
    edited June 2021
    Options

Fantastic news solarsister. Cava is good. Now go out, live long and prosper!

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited June 2021
    Options

That is wonderful news SolarSister! Whew!

• positive2strong
    edited June 2021
    Options

I can hardly walk it is my right leg and the spine mri showed a mass in lumbar 1

Monday and Tuesday I go for a pet scan and cat scan

The biopsy doc said she thinks I also have lesion on my liver

I am so scared and it was so happy my mammagram was clear and I’m 5 yrs in August

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    edited June 2021
    Options

Positive2strong - sending up prayers for you.

• jrnj
    jrnj Member Posts: 407
    edited June 2021
    Options

solar sister, so glad it’s good news! I had a biopsy of my thyroid 6/8 and got the benign results last week. I understand the torture. And my results were posted the Friday before and dr refuses to discuss results over the phone. I still have a lump when I swallow and have another test 6/30. The waiting is torture.

Positive2strong, so sorry for what you are going through. Hoping for some peace for you.