Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Vaccine booster

Options

Comments

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    Options

Can't help you there! 😉

• teedoff
    teedoff Member Posts: 63
    Options

😂 Now I nag. He’d better not bring Covid home! Giant guilt trip would await. Actually, he’ll go. I’ll let you know. Hope no one minds a little levity

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    Options

I casually gave my husband ways he could get vaccinated. It had to be his idea. 😏

• Dee4564
    Dee4564 Member Posts: 2
    Options

In March, I had no reaction to Moderna #1 and #2 other than a sore arm. Due to severe hand and foot syndrome from Taxotere, I was on Medrol for #1 and Prednisone for #2. I have been worried about the efficacy of my vaccinations because of those steroids. You can imagine how excited I was when boosters were approved! I had my shot at 5 pm, started to feel terrible at 11 pm.and didn't sleep hardly at all. My fever in the morning was 101. By 5 pm, I started to feel much better. The peace of mind was worth it!

• racheldog
    racheldog Member Posts: 209
    Options

Thanks for posting side effects on the booster. Met with my MO today and yes, she qualified that the third dose (booster) is seeing some side effects even in people who previously had none. Since I am in the middle of Herceptin infusions I have decided to wait until I am done. Have one more to go. Herceptin occasionally has caused low grade fever and flu like feeling so don't need to overkill with the booster. We talked about the flu shot instead.

I was hoping to hold off on the flu shot until October. The booster also affects the timing of mammography imaging and needs timing.

• Speattle
    Speattle Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi. I am newly registered here, though I found this site and have been lurking since my diagnosis in November 2019.

I got my first 2 doses of Pfizer brand through a clinic that my oncology service (Seattle Cancer Care Alliance) had near my home. Patients and one caregiver were invited, but you still had to be "of age". Both husband and I are over 60, so we were included. This was in January and February2021.

Last month I got an email from my provider that all patients would be offered the 3rd dose at their next visit, or we could seek them out at a local pharmacy to which we were linked. Since my next scheduled visit isn't for a few months, I opted to just make an appointment at the pharmacy. I was asked why I was getting the 3rd dose and I just told them it was on the advice of my oncology service, and they asked no more questions and gave me the shot. I was about 6 months out of the second dose.

I am not what would be traditionally immunocompromised, and I did not have IV Chemo. However, because I've had a rough go of recovery so far with complications from surgery and radiation damage, and side effects to the AI, my reserves for fighting off viruses are not what they should be, so I took the shot a few weeks ago. Also have hypertension and overweight, plus over 60. I mask, distance, and generally avoid crowd situations. My white count is WNL, but my total overall strength and stamina are challenged now, so it was advised I get the 3rd dose ASAP.

ETA: I had minimal achiness in my arm with all 3 doses, and no other side effects afterward. It made me wonder if the vaccine was really doing anything at all, LOL!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,909
    Options

Seattle - Welcome to Breastcancer.org! We're glad you finally decided to register and share your experience with your vaccine booster. We truly appreciate your participation, and we're sure you'll make great connections here. Please let us know if we can help in any way.

Best,

The Mods

• racheldog
    Options

Dee4564, thanks for posting your reaction experience. Similar to what I am hearing and when an MO tells you they are seeing this it is real. I do plan to get the booster but I am happy to hear and qualify the responses on this thread. Good or bad.

• norcals
    norcals Member Posts: 206
    Options

Hi. I just got my third Pfizer shot. I was going to wait until the 8 month mark, but decided to get it at 6 months because my WBC is still low (1.2 - 1.3 ANC). Also, I’m about 2 years and 3 months from TNBC dx, and I started to worry that if I have a recurrence, MO may start me on chemo and I want to have as much protection against covid before I have to start treatment.

So far, I’m feeling better than I did the first two shots. I have a slight headache, but my arm isn’t as sore. I’m hoping I do not get a fever or body aches this time around.

There were plenty of appointments for covid shots at my local pharmacy. It was a lot easier getting the booster than the first two shots.

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    Options

I had a Moderna booster 5 days ago- sore arm, mild nausea and mild headache for 2 days. I waited until after my PET scan because I didn't want anything to glow from it. They offered flu shot same day- I decided to wait until next month for that.

Lovely to get it at Kaiser and not snaking through a parking lot!

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    Options

Hi all. I got my 3rd Pfizer shot at the VA's open clinic, I was approved and done in minutes. My first 2 shots were March and April 2021. I had no reactions to them then, and no reaction to this one except an arm ache at the injection point.

• sugarplum
    sugarplum Member Posts: 70
    Options

My PCP told me last week that I qualify for the Pfizer booster (my 2nd shot was on April 7) so I got mine this afternoon. The first two shots yielded nothing but a sore arm, so I'm hoping this one doesn't do much more than that. I was in treatment for Stage IIIC in 2006-2007 and had a cardiac defibrillator implanted in 2018 due to heart damage from chemo, so I guess that made me a candidate. Hubby is a perfectly healthy 68-year-old so we're not sure when he will get the green light for his booster. I live in a county with off-the-chart Delta cases, so I think this was probably a good idea for me.

Thanks everybody for weighing in!

Julie

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    Options

here’s a live stream of the FDA meeting with Pfizer regarding boosters, in case anyone is interested

https://youtu.be/bQevYc2jX7Y

• chowdog
    chowdog Member Posts: 190
    Options

fda just voted against the booster. 16 out 19 members voted no booster for those >16. The question voted on was if Pfizer had enough safety and efficacy data to justify booster for those > 16.

• chowdog
    Options

There is more discussion about whether to grant booster for >60, or >50, or those with underlying conditions not considered as severe immunocompromised, healthcare workers, etc.. also another option on the table is EUA for booster rather than full approval so there would be no need of recommendations from FDA vaccine committee. not over yet, more meetings next week with CDC and FDA.

• chowdog
    Options

FDA vaccine committee just voted 18 to 0 for EUA Pfizer booster for 1) >65 and 2) ppl at high risk for severe covid.

• nkb
    Options

wonder what will happen with the Moderna booster for over 65- I already had mine - thinking of DH and friends

• chowdog
    Options

Nkb,

this just came out of CDC today, Moderna seems to be held better than Pfizer & JNJ in terms covid hospitalization.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7038e1.ht...

also, I read earlier FDA asked for more data from Moderna since they were trying to do half dose instead of full dose as booster. I assume there will be another meeting about Moderna.

• nkb
    Options

chow- Thanks for the article. I was wondering about the dosage for the Moderna boosters in the next round- I guess that the ones they just approved for over 65 year olds will be the 100mcg since they are still researching a lower dose.

• chowdog
    Options

Nkb, the FDA only EUAed the Pfizer booster, not Moderna or JNJ. So Pfizer submitted data for full authorization of booster for >16 year old, but FDA only EUAed it for >65 and those who are high risk for severe covid either due to underlying condition or job related exposure. Moderna also submitted some data but was told by FDA a week or 2 ago to get more information. If you got Moderna, you might want to wait. My elderly parents got Moderna, and they plan to wait awhile for booster.

• nkb
    Options

I already got the Moderna booster- I'm immunocompromised taking an antimetabolite.

I suspect they will give Moderna boosters to over 65s also, since they seem to use the same one. 14 million people got J&J- will be interesting to see what they decide on boosters for them. in Europe they have been adding a Pfizer booster to all sorts of other vaccines like AZ and the Chinese vaccine.

• chowdog
    Options

FDA authorizes Pfizer booster (only for those who got Pfizer originally) for 1) >65, 2) 18-64 at high risk for severe covid and 3) 18-64 with frequent occupational exposure that puts them at high risk for severe covid

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcement...

CDC will meet tomorrow to vote on it and may be clarify what's considered individual at high risk for severe covid & occupational risk.

• chowdog
    Options

Update for today's CDC vote, CDC has voted to approve Pfizer booster (again this is for people who originally got Pfizer; FDA hasn't reviewed Moderna data yet).

1) Yes for > 65

2) Yes for those 50-64 with underlying conditions

3) Yes for those 18-49 with underlying conditions based on individual benefit & risk.

4) No for those 18-64 who are at high risk for severe covid due to occupational or institutional setting.

Pfizer booster is recommended at least 6 months after the original 2nd dose.

• reckless
    reckless Member Posts: 50
    Options

Got my booster shot 1 hour ago. No side effects so far. The pharmacist refused to give me the flu shot! Said it is not recommended at the same time as the Covid vaccine, which I know is incorrect. Oh well, I'll do it later.

• gamzu710
    gamzu710 Member Posts: 203
    Options

The CDC director overruled the panel late last night and people 18-64 in high-risk occupations or settings are eligible for the booster, if this impacts anyone you know.

• mkestrel
    mkestrel Member Posts: 146
    Options

My oncologist said to get the booster asap so I did yesterday. Super fatigue, can barely stand up all day. Sore arm too, which is all I had with the other two, Pfizer. I started a new med too but I think maybe this wipeout is from the shot. I have napped under my tree all day like the cat.

• racheldog
    Options

Thanks to those of you who are most likely in treatment or immunocompromised for logging in your actual reactions to the booster. I want to hear that and if side effects are worsened or short acting or ? to do this now or wait until treatment is completed. 103 fever for three days is worthwhile news on when to decide in between treatments to do this.

The news being presented by some on this forum to otherwise hear about government decisions can be found broadcasted on the nightly news updates each and every day. No offense to all but hearing how those of you have with the side effects or no side effects (being a cancer patient) is more important IMO than daily news updates.

• tinkerbell107
    tinkerbell107 Member Posts: 289
    Options

Just want to provide encouragement to folks that are on the fence re the vaccine booster. After having 2 adverse side effects from the pfizer doses (1st and 2nd shot), I was not in a rush to obtain the same. I suffered from b/l lower leg livedo reticularis. Thankfully the rash was transient after being on aspirin therapy for a month. After much vacillation and research, I decided to obtain the booster on Wednesday. last dose was 6 1/2 months ago. With low wbc and anc count coupled with raising numbers of Covid in my area I didn't see a choice except isolating at home. It's been 48 hours and only had a sore arm and slight irritation at the injection site.

Obviously whether to obtain the booster or not is a personal choice. I feel relieved and hope it protects me. In addition It's my due diligence to protect others. With gratitude to all who are able to take the vaccine and prayers to those who are unable for medical or religious reasons. Please be safe everyone..

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,591
    Options

I had the Pfizer booster shot and the flu shot on the same day. Only SE was a bit of a sore arm where I got the Pfizer shot. No other issues at all. I just walked up to the counter of the pharmacy in my local grocery store. No problem getting either. On the form I had to fill out, I just wrote "Cancer" in the space where they ask the reason for getting the shot. No one questioned me.

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    Options

Thanks for sharing your experience with us Tinkerbell. I ha a somewhat similar response after my second shot as well, my skin wasn't purpleish or blue but red and it did have a mottled look. It was accompanied by swelling on my legs and feet, severe enough to be painful. It did subside and has not returned, but it has made me cautious/ hesitant about the booster. I'm not at six months from second Pfizer shot yet.

I did have an anti body test a few weeks ago, the result was 375 u/ml. I am aware that we are being told not to use that test as a measure of vaccine effectiveness but I did want to be sure that I HAD developed anti bodies. So, I'm not sure how “good". that result was, for being four months out from the second dose. My sister's test result was over 700 and she is just about 6 months out now. Maybe my immune system is not as strong as I think it is. The phlebotomist did tell me that some vaccinated people have tested at zero antibodies.

If anyone reading this is interested in the full description of thereaction I had to my second shot (NOT booster). here is a link -

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/164/topics/878538?page=2#post_5667774