Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Vaccine booster

Options

Comments

• tinkerbell107
    tinkerbell107 Member Posts: 289
    Options

Olma: I'm glad to hear your SE from the vaccine was transient as well. I wanted to obtain an antibody test but my PCP was against the same. PCP does not feel antibody testing would give me the answers that I'm looking for re response to the vaccine. So after Pfizer approved for several groups 6+ months from the 2nd dose, this spring boarded me into action. I was nervous re the rash but so far so good. The covid vaccine increased inflammation in my body which the aspirin reduced the same.

FWIW I was not going to take the booster before 6 months after the 2nd dose. I have no way to say if the vaccine was effective or not but with being immunocompromised decided to go for it especially when my coworkers (health care) who received vaccinations in January decided to do the same. Good luck re the timing of the booster.

• tinkerbell107
    Options

For informational purposes in case someone else has wonky lab work post vaccine. I was shocked my anc tanked to .65 (2 days after the vaccine). Typically my anc is @ 1.5 for the last 2 years. Surprisingly my lymphocytes were a lot higher which are usually with-in the normal range. Hence my NLR was really off. MO had me repeat CBC (x5 days later). ANC is 1.97. NLR is back to my baseline.

• finallyoverit
    finallyoverit Member Posts: 133
    Options

Thanks for the info, Tinkerbell107. I had my booster last Saturday and have bloodwork scheduled for tomorrow. Hoping that’s enough time for things to settle down, but if not, I’ll know what’s up.

And for anyone reading through these, I did not have a reaction other than a sore arm after dose #2, but the booster brought a fever, a nasty headache, and body aches so bad I could barely move. Gone in about 35 hours. Just an FYI since a lot of what is circulating is that you are expected to react to #3 similar to how you did to #2. Not true in my case

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,591
    Options

finallyoverit, I had the Pfizer booster and just had a sore arm. My neighbor had it and said she had a crushing headache for a few days which tapered off after about a week. She said she felt horrible. Her first two shots were uneventful. Interesting. Hoping you feel better very soon.

Carol

• tinkerbell107
    Options

Finally Over it: Good luck with your lab work tomorrow. I'm sure if I waited a few days longer after the vaccine my lab work would of been at my baseline. With dose 1 and dose 2, MO advised additional week off of Ibrance. I did not follow that advice with the booster. With predicting how one is going to respond with these vaccines there is no rhyme or reason. Then again one might say that statement is true for tumor response to medication.

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    Options

Interesting take on a Kaiser email I got (wide area) in the question and answer section someone asked if the immunocompromised people were receiving a booster and they said no the third Covid vaccine was considered part of your primary series which made me wonder if we are going to need boosters in six months as people who are not immunocompromised and over 65 are getting boosters now?

Anyone else hear that the 3 rd vaccine is part of our primary series and not considered a booster ?

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    Options

nkb,

I am a Kaiser patient too. I got my booster over a month ago and there was no mention of it being part of a primary series.

• nkb
    Options

X- look at your last wide area email and then go to the Q&A part- under immunocompromised it says it.

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,734
    Options

I got what I thought was the Pfizer booster vaccine on Oct. 1. The nurse giving me the shot told me this is the very same formula as the previous two shots I had when I asked her about it. When researching it some were using the third shot and booster as meaning the same thing so frankly I am scratching my head over this issue. I was sick for three days afterwards and the next day afterwards developed a hacking cough which went into my lungs. I ended up going to urgent care after a week. I am now being treated for bronchitis. I tested negative for Covid and the flu and for pneumonia per an xray. Do I feel like the vaccine caused this. NO Am I still sick...yes. Two separate issues I definitely believe the way my symptoms played out that week after the shot.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

"There is no difference between the additional, or third doses, and booster shots. The only difference is who may qualify to receive them," the CDC said when News10 reached out to them" https://www.news10.com/news/is-there-any-differenc...

I had Pfizer + Pfizer and was recommended Moderna for my 3rd - as better coverage against Delta. Had it on Monday.

No rxns after the 1st 2 but the 3rd made me feel crappy, weak, tired, & have slight fever for 24-36 hrs after. Feeling fine since then.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,580
    Options

Finally got some clarity on other appointments so went ahead and booked my third shot for next Thursday, a few days into my next cycle but oh well. Im AZ+AZ so as far a I can tell from where I have read elsewhere, this should be a Pfizer dose. I had a big reaction with my first dose and nothing with the second, so hoping this isn't too bad of a ride other than a headache and some fatigue (as noted by others). If hospital offers it on Monday at my visit Ill take it then.

Will schedule flu shot for a few weeks after - had an allergic reaction to last years with a rash and would rather give some space between the two shots just in case.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    Options

Sondra,

If it’s any comfort I had no reaction at all after my first Pfizer. My second and third were Pfizer as well and I did have mild reactions to those

• nkb
    Options

They haven't released all the data on mixing shot types yet- but, will soon.

I got Moderna which was the same 100 mcg shot, I hear that the booster will be 50 mcg. the Pfizer boosters are the same dose.

WHO called the 3rd shot for immunocompromised people part of their primary series as well- so interesting. will see what dose DH gets when he gets his Moderna booster.

• trinigirl50
    trinigirl50 Member Posts: 158
    Options

I had my Pfizer booster yesterday. Painful arm where I got the vaccine but otherwise fine.

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    Options

just saw this in the WSJ

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fda-nearing-approval-for-mixing-and-matching-covid-19-booster-shots-11634599855?st=c32mlgn2nlcg0c6&reflink=article_copyURL_share

FDA nearing approval for mixing and matching booster shots

Im glad because I wanted to go with Moderna for my third shot especially if it will be the reduced dos

• nkb
    Options

Immunocompromised people got 100 mcg for a 3rd dose (as it seems to be considered part of the primary series) and booster for others will probably be at 50 mcg- although a friend of mine tells me lots of people are going ahead with a 3rd at the 100 mcg- even though they don't "qualify" because they want the higher dose. wild Wild West again - at least this time there is plenty of supply.

I think mixing types may be a hard choice for some as there is lots of media about the Moderna having more durable protection.

• gamzu710
    gamzu710 Member Posts: 203
    Options

I had my third dose of Moderna this afternoon. I don't start chemo until Thursday but my doctor told me I was eligible and to just go ahead. My area actually has almost 99% of people 12 and over with at least one dose and we are awash in vaccine availability, so I don't feel like I took a dose from anyone else.

If the pattern holds from last time, I'll get hit with fever and chills and a mild headache in a few hours and spend tomorrow taking Advil regularly, but with that I should feel OK. It does feel a bit like waiting for a bomb to go off, though. I guess it's good mental practice for chemo on Thursday? Nervous about reaction to Taxol.

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 556
    Options

I had my first two COVID vaccinations last winter (January and February), both were Pfizer and I didn't have any reactions with either one. I went for my Pfizer booster on Tuesday this week (10/19), and now I have swollen glands in my neck, after a headache Tuesday night. The swelling started yesterday and was heavy all night. It's somewhat less today but still evident. My glands are sore to the touch. This is a similar reaction I have had to contrast dye used in PET/CT and CT tests. I'm wondering if Pfizer changed something in their formula...some non-active ingredient that I am reacting to.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

Nancy, that sounds like normal immune system response. I've not heard of any changes to the formula. Many people report a stronger response after the 3rd shot.

• speedlady
    speedlady Member Posts: 4
    Options

I had my Pfizer booster on 10/6. The next morning I woke with pain in my incision area (surgery was in Feb, radiation in May/June). As time progressed I developed brain fog, muscle aches, extreme fatigue, and then extreme swelling and redness in my surgical breast. I saw my primary who prescribed antibiotics and referred me to my surgeon. The night before my appointment with my surgeon, the swelling opened in the middle of the night and drained a huge amount of lymphatic fluid. It did not open at the incision site but created its own new opening on the side of the breast.

My surgeon agreed it was a reaction to the booster plus radiation recall. She increased the amount of antibiotic and put in a wick. I am now waiting for a follow up visit next Tuesday.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of horrible reaction to the booster?

• nkb
    Options

CDC updated their recommendations to adding a 4 th vaccine dose 6 months after the 3 rd for moderately or severely immunocompromised people.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,086
    Options

Nkb- Just read this today !!! On the CDC website. Yuck. But I know it is better than getting Covid. Just do not want to have the side effects again. Temp 103 with 3rd dose of Moderna. Not fun.

• chowdog
    chowdog Member Posts: 190
    Options

I am going to think about that 4th dose. I wonder if better vaccine will be available next year.

here is the cdc recommendation: "People who are moderately and severely immunocompromised and COVID-19 vaccine booster dose

Moderately and severely immunocompromised people aged ≥18 years who completed an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine primary series and received an additional mRNA vaccine dose may receive a single COVID-19 booster dose (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, or Janssen) at least 6 months after completing their third mRNA vaccine dose. In such situations, people who are moderately and severely immunocompromised may receive a total of four COVID-19 vaccine doses. A person who is moderately or severely immunocompromised and has received two doses of an mRNA vaccine and ≥28 days has elapsed since the second dose, should receive an additional mRNA dose immediately (if Moderna COVID-19 vaccine is used, administer 100µg in 0.5ml), followed ≥6 months later by a single COVID-19 vaccine booster dose (if Moderna vaccine booster is used, administer 50µg in 0.25ml)."

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html#considerations-covid19-vax-booster

• nkb
    Options

Candy and Chow- I would love to see my antibody and T and B cell response to these vaccines (none of them really bothered me much- flu shot was worse)- but, I guess that won't be happening. we have lots of time to see if it is a reasonable thing to do.

I'm still being super careful- just don't have a lot of confidence that I have mounted a protective response.

fingers crossed 3rd vaccine is the charm

• racheldog
    racheldog Member Posts: 209
    Options

Candy , when you got your 3rd dose of the Moderna was it the lower (approved dose) of 50 mcg? I am signed up in a couple weeks and I purposely waited until the lower dose of Moderna was going to be given out.

I was not thrilled with the same fever and side effects that you had and I had those SE on the 2nd dose.

• dancemom
    dancemom Member Posts: 404
    Options

Got 3rd pfizer on Friday, the day after my "week off Ibrance" check up. ANC was low again so there was some debate amongst the team. In the end I was given the go-ahead. Painful arm for 2 days, chills and 12 hour fever started 24 hours after injection each time. MUCH more tolerable than the 3 weeks of fever and painful coughing of real Covid-19 back before vaccines were available!!!!! And in the midst of cancer diagnosis. (Exposed at work) DH had stronger reaction each time (2 days fever of 101) but then again he moaned much more when we both had it. Boys just can't be sick quietly.

Having had a "mild" case of covid before treatment started, I want to do all in my power to not get it again!!! Even "mild" was like flu on steroids. I got the flu shot for myself and kids as soon as it was available. There is now a horrible cold going around school! I plan on wearing my mask all winter!

I'm sorry to hear some had complications.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,086
    Options

Racheldog- No I had the full Moderna for the 3rd dose.

Nkb- Yeah I am not due for 4th dose till February (6 months after August's 3rd dose). I am going to see what they are saying in February. They might have changes by then. And I will check with my MO too.

• snow-drop
    snow-drop Member Posts: 519
    Options

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience, I have a question I am having common cold for few days (my symptoms are more like allergy though) and again-I think- my leg shows skin infection. I scheduled booster tomorrow which is in my week off (ibrance -off week) should I go ahead and get booster shot? any complications booster and common cold or booster and antibiotics (if skin infection confirmed) may have?

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 963
    Options

Speedlady,

I also had a very bad reaction to the Pfizer booster. At first I thought I was fine-the next morning I just had soreness at the injection site. I had to run some errands in my neighborhood so I set out on foot, walking about 2 miles. I started having trouble walking due to weakness and could barely make it home. Then I got a fever, aches and chills, etc and fatigue for almost a week. But the worst side effect was lingering weakness that lasted almost a month. I My legs seemed to lose a great deal of strength-and I also had terrible joint pain. Now after 7 weeks, I think I am recovered but it was quite scary and I am not sure I'll risk a 4th shot if it is at full strength. I only had mild fatigue after the first two shots.

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 649
    Options

Snow-drop, I have seasonal allergies. I was told as long as I didn't have a fever, I could receive a vaccine. Also, my doctor did not want me taking Tylenol or NSAIDS just before the vaccination (after is fine). Best to check with your doctor about the possible skin infection, though. Good luck!