Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Vaccine booster

Options

Comments

• tinkerbell107
    tinkerbell107 Member Posts: 289
    Options

• snow-drop
    snow-drop Member Posts: 519
    Options

Hershey, thanks for your reply, I don’t know why everything happens out of working hours! I was anxious about all these happened together. So today before booster I consulted with my MO, she said the same thing, she would consider if I have fever.

• macdebbie
    macdebbie Member Posts: 65
    Options

I had a lumpectomy on 9/14/21 and finished 16 rounds of radiation on 11/26. I got both Pfizer doses - last was 4/13. I talked to my RO about getting the booster, and she said to wait until after I see my breast surgeon for my follow-up visit because of potential swelling, but that appt. isn't until the end of March.

I see her for my one month on 12/22, and see my MO for my appt to discuss hormone blockers on 12/27.

I'm concerned with getting the booster too soon after radiation and causing more swelling/pain in the surgical breast. I'm still not healed. Dealing with radiation burn right now...

Should I wait until I see my MO and talk to him about everything or just wait until after my appt, in March with my breast surgeon? I don't go anywhere except to the doctor, we have our groceries delivered, etc. I didn't have chemo, so I don't know if I am considered immune-compromised just from radiation.

Will the Tamoxifen cause problems with the booster, as I know a side effect of Tamoxifen is blood clots and I thought that was also a problem with the vaccines.

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    Options

Macdebbie, Tamoxifen should not be a problem. The vaccine which had concerns re blood clots was as Astra Zeneca, not being given in the US.

If I were you, I would check with my MO since you already have your RO's opinion.

Good luck and keep on protecting yourself. At least where I live many folks are not protecting me or themselves so it is up to me to protect me!

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    Options

had covid booster about 48hrs ago. And my arms weigh very heavy. I think it is getting worse. Yea I had headache and dizziness which dissipated. And my throat hurt a bit. Really not sure whether I should listen to the next/fourth shot.

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    Options

Castigame- I had a super sore arm, headache and nausea- only lasted a few days. I got 100mcg of the Moderna- which they are calling a third dose in my primary series - not a booster. booster will be in ~ 4 months I guess (6 months from 3rd) I don't know what dose it will be for immunocompromised people.

I think there will be a lot more data available for you to decide whether a 4th shot is a good idea for you before you need to make that decision

Hope you feel better very soon,

• eulalia21
    eulalia21 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hey there! I had my 2nd Pfizer shot 6 months ago. I am elegible for the 3rd. Dosis. I live in South America and where I am based the Aztraseneca vaccine is recommended as the third dose. I am under treatment with Kisqali. Does any one knows if a 3rd. Shot of Pfizer is feasible. I do not want to risk myself getting the Astra vaccine because I am not sure about the secondary effects for cancer patients. Does any one know which is the recommended 3rd dosis for cancer patients? Thanks a lot! 

• nkb
    Options

Lalis21- when I got my 3rd dose I had gotten two Moderna shots already and got the normal dose of Moderna (not the half dose) as a 3rd dose. there are studies showing that mixing and matching works well also- so getting a Moderna or Pfizer could be a good choice also- see what your doctor thinks

• reckless
    reckless Member Posts: 50
    Options

Lalis21 - I got 3 Pfizer doses, as recommended by my doctor. But, mix and match studies were not available at that time

• jelson
    jelson Member Posts: 622
    Options

Lalis21- as mentioned already, we don't have AstraZ here in the US, so our mixing and matching studies involve only Pfizer and Moderna. Studies in Great Britain however do include AstraZ but I am not see studies yet using it as a booster. The studies which show great response, imply that the mixing and matching is to assure that vaccines are available. I had two Moderna and took a Pfizer booster. If you are concerned about side-effects of AstraZ as a booster,and since you tolerated Pfizer, then do advocate for Pfizer or the Moderna so you at least you stick with an mRNA type.

late breaking news!!! AstraZ now approved in US for immuno-compromised people " The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted the EUA for Evusheld for pre-exposure prophylaxis of COVID-19 in adults and adolescents (aged 12 and older who weigh 40kg or more) with moderate to severe immune compromise due to a medical condition or immunosuppressive medications and who may not mount an adequate immune response to COVID-19 vaccination, as well as those individuals for whom COVID-19 vaccination is not recommended. Recipients should not be currently infected with or had recent known exposure to a person infected with SARS-CoV-2." see entire article here: https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2021/evusheld-long-acting-antibody-combination-authorised-for-emergency-use-in-the-us-for-pre-exposure-prophylaxis-prevention-of-covid-19.html

I hope your BC treatment goes well and you avoid Covid!

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    Options

ThumbsUp

For immunocompromised Montrealers needing a safe vaccination space for 3rd/4th doses! See link for more details to contact this kind pharmacist.

https://twitter.com/balloonian/status/1480976773118574596?s=21

• oldladyblue
    oldladyblue Member Posts: 302
    Options

I had 2 Pfizers and a Pfizer booster just before chemo started in Oct 2021. I finished chemo Dec 2021 and rads Jan 2022 and then got Covid 4 days after finishing rads. Very sick, almost hospitalized, better after 3 weeks, by end of Feb 22. Eligible for the 4th shot, haven't got it yet.

• nkb
    Options

old lady blue-that is scary that you got so sick - I have heard of many people getting COVID after booster but, usually mild. I got 3 full strength Moderna vaccines ( considered primary series ifbeing treated for cancer) and one booster which was 1/2 strength. I have heard they are talking about another booster for people with cancer.

You did get some immunity from getting COVID, but, I think most doctors would recommend the 4th dose.

Hope you feel well now.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

I've now had 4 (pfizer, pfizer, moderna full + moderna 1/2) & I'm so glad. This current strain is super contagious. Breakthrough infections are not uncommon but the vaccines are effective in reducing risk of hospitalization or death.

I'm still wearing my N95 whenever near people.

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

oldladyblue - I'm so glad you got fully vaccinated before chemo/rads weakened you. I think a 2nd booster is recommended 3 months after infection. Hope your recovery is going well.

I've had 3 shots (Moderna, Moderna, and Pfizer). It's been 4 months since my last shot. I'm on a break from Ibrance, so I'll try to get my 2nd booster this week. I'll try to get Novavax or Pfizer.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,058
    Options

Hi. I got booked for my 4th but when I showed up it was suggested that I should get the Moderna. Not available but will be in around May 16th. Pfizer was offered if I wanted it right away. I am okay holding off. I don't go anywhere. No one comes over. I wear a mask when I am out and about. Moderna is recommended for us old folks, not just cancer folks.

When will this ever end!!??

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,271
    Options

Elderberry - I've had two Pfizer vaccinations and the Pfizer booster. I also don't go out much and wear a mask everywhere that I do go. I still got Covid. Got it in mid April, and granted it's been a "mild" case, it was still no picnic. Just because you don't have to go to the hospital doesn't mean you don't feel rotten. I was told by medical people in my area (Greater Puget Sound) that they are seeing more and more of this, with people who've had all the shots, wear a mask, and hardly go anywhere who are getting infected. Be careful out there!

SerenityStat - Thanks for mentioning that 3 months is recommended to wait for the 2nd booster, after an infection. I couldn't really get a straight answer from the medical people I see. The doctor who did my positive test did say that I should wait "months" before getting the 2nd booster, but how many he didn't say.

Sounds like the best anyone can do these days is to count on a "mild" case if you get it. It doesn't look like the shots and boosters are holding up very well for people, they just help with having a "mild" case rather than a serious one.

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

elderberry - I've accepted it will be here for a long time. I'm just trying to keep from getting infected at all or at least trying to keep the severity low. I really don't want to be hospitalized.

threetree - I've read the recommended wait for the 2nd booster is about 4-5 months after 1st. In QC they're allowing <60 to get 2nd boosters by walk-in only if their 1st booster was 3 months ago. The vaccines still work well at reducing risk of severe disease and death. That's huge! Especially with how infectious the new variants are compared to the original. It boggles my mind that people are dropping masks in the middle of this.
    premium masks + updated vaccinations + clean air = reduced transmission.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,271
    Options

SerenityStat - I'm with you and figure it will be around for quite awhile, but that the shots and masks are well worth it to keep any infection you do get at the "mild" level. I have to say that in spite of not feeling good at all when I got infected during the middle of last month, I kept thinking how thankful I was that I did not experience what so many had to experience, especially when the first cases came on the scene and we were seeing people on television gasping for their lasts breaths, saying good-bye to family via video, etc. I'm still counting my blessings and believe I have the shots, booster, masking, and restricted social contact behavior that I did do to thank for not winding up like so many did.

I too do not get the mask dropping at all! Every time I go to the store now (or anywhere for that matter) there are just fewer and fewer people with masks on each time; customers and clerks. I want to shout at them about how I got it in spite of all the serious precautions and tell them they are just asking for it, but I think it would all fall on deaf ears. I was out on a walk a couple of days ago and when a maskless couple came close, coming from the other direction, I put my mask up in anticipation of us passing each other by. When I did that the woman of the pair started snickering at me and mildly laughed sarcastically, like she thought I was a real fanatic or something. I just think it's routine protocol. So many just want this to be over, that they are telling themselves that it is, even when all the evidence says otherwise. I'm sticking with all the precautions that I've always taken.

When I told the doctors that I had no idea where I got it, except maybe the grocery store, they said this was happening a lot these days. A public health nurse for the State of Washington called me to talk about the isolation period and when I told her I had no idea how or where I got it, except possibly the grocery store, she too said that they are hearing a whole lot of that; that the only place people who've been vaccinated and wear a mask all the time, can think of that they might have gotten it, is at the grocery store. That seems to be the big place for crowds with no masks, so it's no wonder if the grocery stores are becoming the big culprit. I don't know what is wrong with so many of these people that they've just pretty much written Covid off their radar now. It's still here, still mutating, and still a huge threat.

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

From the beginning my SIL worked in the Covid wards. She was the one who held the devices for patients to speak with their families right before she intubated them. She wore the serious PPE. She hasn't been infected, and I hope that continues.

Glad your case was “mild". I know it's getting harder to avoid. My husband has travel plans soon, so hopefully the 2nd booster is recent enough to keep him from infection.

I was at the hospital today. There was a man who didn't even have a mask on. Everyone else did. This was in the radiation oncology waiting area. I was too tired to say anything. I just moved to a different waiting area. If he with multiple co-morbidities wants to get infected, go ahead. But I'm not sticking around.
  • nkb
    Options

it is still mandated to wear masks in health care facilities here. Although there is always someone “eating” the whole time. I move away also. I wear masks indoors- I live in a highly vaccinated low risk area and many people still wear masks ( many don’t) I feel happy to see others with masks- most of the store clerks still wear them.

The stories I have heard of how people think they got it are really scary ( very little contact with anyone)

Stay safe

• snow-drop
    Options

Forgive me if this already been discussed, how long should be waiting in between boosters, for us? 6 months?

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

I think for severely immunocompromised, it’s at least 3 months.

In my province, they’re letting <60 get the 2nd booster after 3 months.

From some graphs I’ve seen, 4-5 months looks good. I think US is allowing >50 and 5 months.

I should be at 4 1/2 months, but I also need to wait for an Ibrance break.

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    Options

Got my second booster this afternoon. All four shots have been Moderna. I didn't have any side effects for the first three shots (knock on wood!) Hoping my good luck continues with this one.

My husband, on the other hand, had a bad reaction to the second shot. He had a high fever, headache and chills. Fortunately it only lasted 24 hours.

We're also scrupulous about wearing our masks when we're around other people. I'll be really pissed if I get Covid now.

• snow-drop
    Options

thanks for the input. I have to get the booster in off-week as well.

• SerenitySTAT
    Options

Got my 2nd booster an hour ago. So far so good. 😉 Just thirsty still. Good thing I have a pitcher of white tea in the fridge. My husband thought I was fermenting pee. 🤣 Can't really blame him. I just put a frozen piece of aloe on the injection site. Hey, it worked on a bee sting I had.

I’m now Moderna, Moderna, Pfizer, Pfizer.

• jelson
    jelson Member Posts: 622
    Options

Most of us commenting here appear to have received the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines, however, for those who did receive J&J and are planning to get boosted, or who have family and friends who are going to get boosted please read this. https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/cov...

the FDA has posted a warning/severely limiting the J&J vaccine to those who can't access other vaccines. "Due to an updated analysis of the rare cases of thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS), which typically occur 1 to 2 weeks after vaccination, use of the J&J vaccine should be restricted to those for whom mRNA vaccines are "not accessible or clinically appropriate," or who would not get vaccinated if not for the J&J vaccine, the agency said." "The reporting rate of TTS is 3.23 per million doses of vaccine administered and the reporting rate of TTS deaths is 0.48 per million doses of vaccine administered," the FDA said in its announcement. The greatest risk is among women ages 30 to 49 years (about 8 cases per million doses)."

• murfy
    murfy Member Posts: 254
    Options

I've been fully vaccinated and boosted, mask everywhere I go, and get COVID after traveling a long distance in a car with my friend, who didn't know she had the virus...24hr later she found out.

This Omicron 5, for both of us, started as a sore throat and rapidly turned into a head cold. I did not test positive for the first 48hr. Then...BINGO! I am now on Day6 and, other than a persistent cough, feel pretty good. This is what I have been recommending to my still-healthy friends to have ready for the inevitable:

Get Coldeeze or other zinc-containing drops to suck on when that sore throat hits. Zinc is about the only OTC that might have some anti-viral effects; a daytime and a nighttime cold medicine. You won't feel like going to the store and getting these when the beast hits. Have Tylenol handy for the head/neck aches. Kleenex...lots of Kleenex.

Be careful out there! Omicron is extremely contagious. Hoping everyone stays healthy! Heart

• brinkofeternity
    brinkofeternity Member Posts: 181
    Options

Just wanted to share my experience with vaccines and the omicron variant:

I was fully vaccinated and boosted last November, and have been waiting for an omicron-specific vaccine booster. All Pfizer.

My husband, on the other hand, was fully vaccinated and boosted with Moderna. Unfortunately that wasn’t enough to keep him from getting infected recently while out and about.

I read that immune systems primed with vaccines can fight back and develop symptoms earlier, which I think is true in our case. He didn’t test positive until 2 days after his symptoms started.

I on the other hand, had a persistent but mild headache pretty much all week after he tested positive, then one day, boom, felt sick and tested positive. So yes the vaccines worked in that it started fighting earlier, but still not enough to keep us from getting infected.

Thankfully we’re all recovering well. Take care, everyone!

• nkb
    Options

The Vaccines and boosters are meant to keep you out of the hospital and ICU and keep you alive. they do that. they do not prevent transmission. they are working on a nasal spray vaccine that may prevent transmission- but, nasal spray flu vaccines are live virus vaccines and wouldn't be appropriate for most of us.

I got covid- really NO Idea where- I mask at the outdoor farmer's market and rarely go anywhere etc- the same story. I suddenly felt very tired, sore throat and runny nose and thought it was a cold- next day I did a home covid test- it went positive immediately! I was shocked and unfortunately gave it to my hubby and kids before I knew I had it.

I got Paxlovid and really recommend it- felt better within 12 hours of taking it. you need to start it within 5 days- so test if in doubt and start the process of getting it. I heard that pharmacists can dispense it now. I got a mild case- but, don't want it again!

I have friends who don't have cancer who test twice a week- this BA5 is transmissible outside apparently. 7 of her neighbors got it at a garden party- she was masked outside and didn't get it.