Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

14 years after TNBC Im facing possible liver mets

Melonda
Melonda Member Posts: 121

14 years ago I had triple negative medullary carcinoma, you can see from my signature everything I had. Last week we thought I had gallbladder issues or kidney stones, had a CT and the radiology report was horrifying when I read it. They found a very large mass on my liver with suspected lymph node involvement and a few other small masses. I'm BRCA1+ and have done *everything* I can to eliminate risk - I had a bilateral ooph and it's also why I had a bilateral mastectomy.

I'm in a lot of pain - which is why I was originally doing the scans - and waiting for my biopsy but am freaking out. I had JUST finally gone back to an oncologist this summer, I had skipped it the last few years because I had been fine and bloodwork was good. I just can't believe I'm not even 40 and I could have mets after already having had breast cancer 14 years ago. I'm so overwhelmed and just freaked out.

Comments

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited October 2021

So sorry you find yourself back here, Melonda and hopefully your stay will be brief. (Fingers crossed for a negative biopsy result.) Blessings to you.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited October 2021

Hi, I'm sorry you're dealig with this. Do you know yet when the biopsy will be? let us know how it goes. I know it's a stressful time. hang in there

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited October 2021

Melonda - I'm so sorry you find yourself here and going through this! Hoping/Praying that your biopsy results come back negative! <3

• Melonda
    edited October 2021

I've been waiting for news from my bazillion calls/doctors. My biopsy is confirmed for Thursday at my local hospital, my oncologist is at The James in columbus, which is further away from me and they couldn't get me in for another week, but the pain is pretty bad and I couldn't wait that long. So the slides will be sent there to read. In the meantime I also have 2 CTs and a bone scan locally. I can't remember how long biopsy results take to get in?

But they're all acting like it's definitively mets due to the radiology report and I'm just exhausted at even the idea of all of this and I am overwhelmed at the idea of facing treatment again and knowing it would literally be neverending. It feels cruel to even hold out hope that it would be anything else.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,583
    edited October 2021

Melonda, I'm so sorry. I do hope you get answers soon and if it is, in fact mets, you are able to get a treatment plan in place ASAP.

Carol

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 464
    edited October 2021

I hope the biospy goes well today

• Melonda
    edited October 2021

Biopsy was super painful yesterday but it's over thankfully. All scans are in and shows no cancer anywhere else but the liver. Now I'm not sure if it's a new primary or mets but holding my breath for the results.

• moth
    edited October 2021

I hope you find out what it is soon; the waiting really sucks.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited October 2021

OMG 14 years later? BC the gift that keeps on giving. Ugh. We are all praying it’s something other than liver Mets. You are so young.

Keep the faith and keep us posted.

Diane

• mightlybird01
    mightlybird01 Member Posts: 161
    edited October 2021

Melonda, so sorry you have to worry. It is my understanding that TNBC usually does not come back after such a long time. This would be much more likely a new primary. Maybe, hopefully!, it is nothing of too much concern. I keep fingers crossed for you.

• Melonda
    edited October 2021

Results are in. Liver mets. We're devastated.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited October 2021

Melonda, I'm so sorry! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! {Hugs}

• moth
    edited October 2021

Melonda, sorry to hear this sucky news.

When you're ready, we have a liver mets thread https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/...

also, if it's still triple neg, we have a stage 4 thread. https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/... & I've made a list of mTNBC treatments here in this post https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/... I think you'll want PD-L1 testing on your sample to see if you qualify for immunotherapy (pembrolizumab/Keytruda + chemo)

sending hugs

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,583
    edited October 2021

Melonda, I'm so sorry to hear of your new diagnosis. I think you'll find comfort here and on the other threads, like moth was suggesting.

All the best to you,

Carol

• Melonda
    edited October 2021

Thank you moth for those extremely helpful threads. I'm trying my hardest to not do a ton of research (which is my natural mode when I'm facing an illness) until I get my full pathology results and see the Oncologist for my treatment plan.

There was a fuckup at my hospital which I'm also trying my hardest to let go and not be furious about which delayed the pathology by a week. Luckily I'm going to The James, a major cancer center, and not the one that fucked it up. I'm just extremely anxious to get started at this point, I'm still in a lot of pain and want to start so that it shrinks and hopefully the pain reduces.

• mightlybird01
    edited October 2021

Hi Melonda, I am also very sorry for the news. I am hoping for your treatment plan soon. The silver lining with the BRCA1 mutation, as was recently discussed in this group, is that it responds very well to chemo, which is hopefully the case for you and those mets melt to nothing.

• mightlybird01
    edited October 2021

meant to add, that if it is still TN, the amazing moth has done all the research for you, so you don't have to spend your time doing it yourself.