Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Weight gain on treatment

Options

I am currently on letrozole, zoladex, and verzinio with stage 4 bone mets with a hip replacement, kyphoplasty and spinal injury. It is hard to be active because of pain but I try to work out 3 days a week...I have gained 20 lbs in 6 months and am only eating 1500 calories a day. Looking for advice- I am 5"2 and never been over 115 lbs so the extra weight is causing other health issues with heart palpitations and blood pressure. TIA

Comments

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 964
    Options

I have no advice but just wanted you to know you are not alone. I too am very active despite the joint pain but find I keep gaining weight despite not eating too much. I think it is a side effect of letrozole. It's very frustrating. I am going back to intermittent fasting to see if that will help but with cancer, I feel it is also important for me to eat plenty of vegetables and proteins to keep my energy up.

• lmdws
    lmdws Member Posts: 13
    Options

I have also recently begun intermittent fasting with hopes it will be helpful. It is good to know I am not alone.

• mozuke1
    mozuke1 Member Posts: 39
    Options

I just wanted to offer some encouragement to keep searching for the combination of activity and food that makes you feel strong and healthy. I assume since you know your calorie intake that you track it in some way. Make sure that you are getting plenty of fiber, 25 gr at least, from food, not supplements. Building muscle will help with metabolism and insulin sensitivity.
    I have been able to keep my weight stable through 2 years of cancer treatment. I was premenopausal at diagnosis but have since had a hysterectomy.