Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Metastatic Caregivers: Join us bi-weekly for our virtual support group. Register here.

MBC to the bones

Options

Hello πŸ™‚

My mother today was diagnosed with MBC to her spine and hips. I read on the web that life expectancy is 19 to 25 months. Is that true? Sounds so little. I read some of your stories and I see that many of you have already live much longer.

My mother soon will be 76. I love her so much, and she is so though and powerful, she is not crying or anything, but know deep inside she very sad. I don't want to cry in front of her because I make her more sad.

What is the most that someone can live with this? Forgive my English, am greek.

Thank you in advance πŸ™‚

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,792
    Options

tsiutsiu,

I am very sorry to hear about your mother’s diagnosis. What you read about life expectancy may be true based on historical data however, none of this can predict how any one individual will do. Stage IV breast cancer is not curable but advances in treatment have extended life for many.
    My story is very unusual and I am a clear outlier (though I prefer unicorn πŸ¦„). I was diagnosed with a single bone met twelve years ago and have had no progression. I have also been off all medications for almost six months (side effects of AI’s were cumulative). I am very atypical but there are many treatments available that may very well help your mother beat the statistics. No one can predict the future but hope exists. Take care

• tsiutsiu
    tsiutsiu Member Posts: 12
    Options

Am very glad for you unicorn, I wish you the best from the deep of my heart πŸ™‚

Hopefully my mother can do as well as you.

Next week she is having a surgery to get the cancer from her breast out and then she starts immunotherapy, that's what they told her today. Did you have immunotherapy as well? Is it the same with hormonal therapy?

• exbrnxgrl
    edited January 30
    Options

Sounds like a good plan! Immunotherapy? No, it did exist when I was first dx’ed 12 years ago. I had radiation to my bone met and took an aromatase inhibitor for that whole time. I am currently on no meds at all, but again, this is very atypical. I have never had IV chemo and drugs like Ibrance, Verzenio, and Kisqali had not yet been approved back then. A bigger arsenal of treatments is currently available than there was a decade ago and should give your mother several options should they be needed. Take care

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,990
    Options

Hi @tsiutsiu We're so sorry you find yourself here. exbrnxgrl offers great advice! There are so many different treatments available, which gives her hopefully various options, should one not be effective. People can live very long - many years- with breast cancer in the bones. One day at a time, and try to ignore the statistics they provided. Not sure why some doctors do this. We're all here for you!

• tsiutsiu
    tsiutsiu Member Posts: 12
    Options

Thank you so much moderator πŸ™‚

Your words give me huge relief.

By the way, could you please delete the topic I started here

thank you 😊

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

They deleted the other, identical, thread that you started because all replies were on this thread.