Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Does insurance cover nipple tattooing?

aprildavies72
aprildavies72 Member Posts: 4
edited October 5 in Breast Reconstruction

I'm about 7 months post surgery for my reconstruction (triple negative, grade 3, high Ki67 IDC breast cancer) and I'm extremely pleased with the reconstruction thus far, but I'm looking at getting the 3D nipple tattooing done. Does anyone know if insurance has to cover this part of the reconstruction process? I've sent multiple messages to my insurance company and they keep asking me for the medical code, how the heck am I supposed to know that. I just want to know if it is covered. I appreciate any and all information/help anyone can give me.

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,249

I looked into it many, many years ago and at that time, they didn’t. Things may have changed so it’s worth pursuing.

• casey714
    casey714 Member Posts: 13

I had a nipple tattoo done in 2015. Yes, insurance covered it. There are some restrictions about being medically necessary and the tattoo artist’s license. If you google nipple tattoos, the insurance number(s) come up. They are called CPT codes. I think I had to pay and was then reimbursed. Good luck! I am happy with mine.

• snm
    snm Member Posts: 116

Hi I had 3D nipple tattoos few months back and they look great. I had to pay the tattoo artist in full and send receipt to insurance company. My health insurance company medica reduced my deductible by partial cost amount (not the full cost). So I did not receive a check in the mail which I was hoping for.