Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

2017 BC Diagnosis…how are you doing?

Hello Friends:💐

It’s been awhile since I’ve checked in. I’m curious how my 2017 friends are doing. Have you had a recurrence? Is all going well? I’d love to know how everyone from 2017 is doing.
I’m doing well. This site has been a huge support to me and I just want to thank you all again for your support.
I look forward to hearing how everyone is doing. Have a wonderful day!

Comments

• jons_girl
    jons_girl Member Posts: 461

bump

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 515

Hi jons_girl. I was first dx in 2008. Then 1 met to bone in 2017.

I was fine till a few weeks ago when a new primary was found in same brest.

But life is good. Grateful for the new treatments for TNBC. I hope others post.

• ausykaren
    ausykaren Member Posts: 64

I was diagnosed in February 2017. Stage 3C er/pr positive. 11 positive nodes. All is well at the moment. My youngest was 7 when I was diagnosed and is now 15. Very grateful to be here for my kids.

• princessbuttercup
    princessbuttercup Member Posts: 161

IDC Stage 1b, grade 3, node-negative. Lumpectomy in Dec 2017, then chemo and radiation in the first half of 2018.

I started tamoxifen, but had to pause in Dec 2019 for uterine bleeding and severe joint pain. Biopsy was negative, but I decided to cut my losses and have a complete hysterectomy in Feb 2020. (Note the timing there, because Covid closed everything down the following week.) My pathology report showed uterine wall thickening, fibroids, and ovarian cysts, which explained a lot. I was 60 yrs old at that point, so the hysterectomy was an easy decision for me, but I was shocked at the pushback I received from a few doctors. It turns out to have been the best decision I've ever made.

I resumed AIs, but continued to have joint problems and fatigue to the point of not being able to climb the stairs or go to work. Two oncologists later, I was reassured that 4.5 years of hormone therapy, chemo, rads, and the complete hysterectomy was probably enough for my situation. I'm finally able to exercise again, and I feel better than I have since before my cancer dx. I might look back and regret this decision to stop AIs early, but getting rid of the estrogen source and being able to exercise again seemed like the best option.

Good to see everyone.

• jons_girl

Hi Gail!!

I remember you from 2017! I’m so sorry to hear your going through another journey with a BC dx. ☹️
    I hope it’s ok to ask a couple questions. Do you have any genes associated with breast cancer? Was this new dx found with normal yearly screening?

• jons_girl
    edited September 17

Hi Karen:

Your 2017 dx was a few months before my dx. I was dx in June/July 2017. I’m so glad to hear you are doing well!!

• jons_girl

Hi princess buttercup:

You were dx in 2017 after I was. I’m glad all is going well for you. Thank you for sharing your bc journey with us. I hope many more of those dx in 2017 will post and share how they are doing.

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 773
    edited September 17

Morning. Nice to see everyone doing well. I am as well as I can be despite just recently losing my sister to this disease. She was diagnosed a couple of years before me. She likely saved my life. I didn't even have a primary doc back then. At her urging I signed on with one and was glad I did because by the time I got to that appointment and received a bunch of test orders to be done is when I found the lump.

• jons_girl

Ctmbsikia:

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss of your sister. 😢💐It sounds like she was a wonderful supportive sister. I am glad your health is good and your BC has not returned. Thank you for sharing with us how you are doing. We are here to support you. 💕