Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Aromatase inhibitors

Hi I am post lumpectomy, micro metastasis in 1 removed lymph node and now faced with the far more daunting ( to me) prospect of taking letrazole oestrogen inhibitor. Does anyone have anything positive to say about them? All I hear is the negative side effects. Others experience would be very welcome. I’m 61, normal weight, (1.68m and 60kgs) do strength training and pilates 5 days per week. If I have to stop all that because of the effects of Letrazole am I not doing more harm than good? Your thoughts are hugely welcome x

Comments

• mandy23
    mandy23 Member Posts: 125

Hi @bestrong123

Everyone is different and you don't know what you don't know. You may not have any or have only minimal side effects from Letrozole. I am 67 and on Letrozole for the 2nd time. My side effects from it are really minimal. It does make me a bit drowsy, so I take it at night - which actually helps me sleep. 😊

I think the 1st time was harder because I was 47 and going through menopause at the same time. It was hard to know what were side effects from the drug vs side effects of menopause. This time I've long been through all that and I really have very few side effects. The first time I stayed on it for 8 years, so you know it couldn't have been too bad! It kept me 'safe' for 20 years and I am hoping this time it will do the same!

All that said, some people do have issues with the AIs. If you do have side effects, talk to your MO about remedies or even switching to a different AI.

I see no reason why your exercise routine should be disrupted and I actually think that could help you reduce side effects if you have them.

Just think positively and start taking it and see how you respond to it.

Good luck to you!

• bestrong123
    bestrong123 Member Posts: 4

hi Mandy 23 Thankyou so much for your positive response. It’s so easy to focus on the negative!! Wishing you all the very best with your treatment 🙂

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 438

I'm 50 and know three people besides myself that have had breast cancer. None of us have had any troublesome issues with endocrine therapy that can't be easily managed. Two of us were on letrozole and two of us were on tamoxifen. I am in better shape now than before I had breast cancer.

• bestrong123

Thankyou so much, that’s really encouraging to hear

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,558

Hi @bestrong123,

You might find this thread insightful and encouraging:

And there's lots of experiences shared here with Femara (letrozole):

And this page offers some good information on why you should stick with hormonal therapy:

We hope this helps!

—The Mods

• bestrong123

Thankyou moderators! My spirits are officially lifted! 😁

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 584

@bestrong123, I am de novo stage iv and have been on aromatase inhibitors (letrozole) for 12 months with very limited side effects. They have not adversely impacted my life - I have rejoined my gym and am doing regular resistance training. I walk everywhere and feel good. I am a believer that exercise might help with side effects as I also did aerobic training for those 12 months. Another poster at this site is an avid canoeist. My best advice is that everybody reacts differently and take one day at a time.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,250

I was on AI’s for 12 years (I am stage IV). Although all of them gave me some side effects, I managed them . I worked, played, and lived an almost completely normal life the entire time I took them. Reactions and side really vary by individual. It’s also much more likely that someone will post when they are experiencing se’s than those who don’t. Take care

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 786

exbrnxgrl, how are you feeling after so many months free of exemestane? Do you feel better? Same? Did you have any scans done?