Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Vaginal Atrophy solution that is working for me!

jinx27
jinx27 Member Posts: 119
edited October 2022 in Sex & Relationship Matters

Hello all!

Ive been a member for quite some time now and wanted to post about my sexual side effects of my treatment and what Ive been doing to combat them.

I was diagnosed with my ER/PR+ breast cancer and have chosen to take an aromatase inhibitior along with Lupron (ovarian suppression ) injects for the next 5-10 years.

My onco just barely prepared me for all of the changes that I would have living the next 5-10 with lowered estrogen (menopause) as a 30 year old something. She mentioned vaginal dryness but I didnt know that the dryness really meant atrophy! I also suffered from strong vaginal odor without an infection. This also due to the atrophy.

I initially knew something was wrong when I had intercourse and it was terribly painful, I had small microcuts in my vulva and inner vagina due to weakening of my vaginal tissue, not knowing how to deal with this I went online.

Initially I was interesting in the Mona Lisa Touch or Petite Lady procedure that alot of women post about on here but it wasn't in my price range at all.

I stumbled upon a product call NeuEve; a estrogen free vaginal suppository created by a gynecologist for women.

Neu Eve Website

NeuEve suppositories and cream help ease menopausal discomforts: vaginal odor, dryness, atrophy, itching, burning, painful sex, and bacterial vaginosis.*

100% all-natural food grade ingredients : Organic palm oil*, organic coconut oil, organic beeswax, organic tapioca starch, organic potato starch, evening primrose oil, organic sea buckthorn fruit oil, organic lavender essential oil, organic orange oil, organic vitamin E (d-α tocopherol), and a proprietary blend of nutrients.

NeuEve is gluten-free, hormone-free and estrogen-free. NeuEve does NOT contain any boric acid, petrochemicals, parabens, BHT, T.E.A, M.E.A, urea, glycols, PEG's, etc. NeuEve has never been tested on animals, and does not contain any animal products.

Customers can choose between three options depending on the severity of their atrophy and age. I emailed her asking for guidance and responded back with a warm and informative response. I chose the level 2 suppository due to my age.

She stated the following supplements help with atrophy; OMEGA 3, OMEGA 7, Vitamin D.

She also mentioned purchasing a set of Magnetic Vaginal Dilators and using them twice a day if I have pelvic pain.

I have been using NeuEve for one month along with taking the above supplements and have seen a huge improvement. I use lubrication during self pleasure which helps but I have not had any pain or microcuts in or around the vulva or inside the vaginal canal since finishing my first box of NeuEve.

I used to to have a odor due to the dryness, and a UTI feeling. The odor is completely gone, and the UTI feeling is slowly fading away. I thought Id share here since there are soo many products on the market to choose from.

The price is around $59 for a month supply, if you decide to get a subscription, the cost will be $49 a month. Not too bad. The site recommends using it for 4 months straight, however many women report improvements after one month.

Please feel free to message here with any questions. Im going to continue the product for four months and return back with an update.

Comments

• kksmom3
    kksmom3 Member Posts: 101

I desperately need to do something. I feel like I have a constant UTI, which I don't. I've been checked. Sex is out of the question, I'd sadly settle for not hurting. My PCP prescribed clobetasol, which was expensive, $200, and worked for a couple of weeks, now the soreness is back. This. stuff has glowing reviews, but I'm skeptical. :(.

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,656

Thank you. I’m going to give it a try. I just ordered some. I’m willing to try it, but if this doesn’t work, I’m just going to give up trying to find relief. I hate when stuff leaks out, so I hope this isn’t that bad.

• jinx27

Thanks for responding, I get nervous when I post and think no-one will look haha!

Im sure we all have our share of issues that we deal with due to our cancer, Vaginal Atrophy doesnt have to be one of them, using this product made me realize that. I really was about to give up on because I didnt see any affordable or effective stuff on the market and the procedures like the Mona Lisa Touch were too expensive. The use of lubricants during sex doesnt get to the root of the issue either, the thinning of the vaginal tissue needs to be addressed.

@kksmom3 I was super skeptical too, thats why I emailed the company and they quickly responded back to my surprise. She explained to me that most women see results after one month of usage which is exactly one box. The suppository itself is to be inserted at night, Im very clumsy so I had some product come out a little but on my third suppository I didnt have much leakage if any. You can also order a suppository applicator to make the process easier. The suppository should melt overnight inside the vaginal canal.

Its to be inserted every 5-6 days. She also suggested the supplements I listed above to help make it work. For folks with severe atrophy you may need to purchase a set of magnetic dilators to slowly encourage the vagina to respond to stimulation.

There is also a cream that she sells for the vulva only, Im expecting that in the mail soon, while Im waiting Ive been using coconut oil for my vulva and its been a dream!

The constant "UTI" feeling is quite normal for you because of the thinning and atrophy happening. I say try it for one month along with Omega 3 and 7. Get some dilators if you have pelvic pain. I dont have a partner right now so I purchased a high end vibrator, upon my second use of the vibrator I didnt have any tears or pain, only pleasure. I was really in amazement.

if you wind up buying it feel free to post here! Best wishes.

@KBL Im happy you took the plunge! Were you able to figure out which one was best for you, there are three types. I wouldn't want you to purchase the wrong one and yes I say give it a try! If your able to get the supplements I listed above it will make it work better.

Remember it takes time for this to work but within one month you should be able to feel some difference, please post back here. Im hoping it works!!

• kksmom3
    kksmom3 Member Posts: 101

Ok, you've sold me, I'm going to order it. I don't have pelvic pain. I've tried a few different OTC things, none of them worked. Hopefully, this will. Are you still blocking your hormones? I don't want to go off of letrozole, but it isn't worth this pain. Thank You!

• jinx27

@kksmom3 Im excited haha!

Yes my estrogen is blocked and ovaries suppressed with Lupron and Arimidex and will be for the next 6 years, I didnt have to change my meds at all , otherwise its not worth the risk of a recurrence.

The Dr. that created it stated that consistent use for 4 months is recommended so I wound up subscribing for a delivery every month. Dont forget the supplements too. You can get them at the pharmacy or online.

Post back here with your results!

• kbl

I ordered the Silk. I’m over 50 and post-menopausal. Thank you for posting. We all have to try one thing or another to try to help. We shall see. I appreciate it.

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 552

I just ordered a vaginal moisturizer called Ah Yes that my pelvic PT recommended, said many of her patients like it. I don't know if I have atrophy from the tamoxifen (I think probably), but I get stinging and burning just from touching the area. Looks normal though. I hope it helps. I'm also dealing with prolapse so the entire area down there is pretty unhappy.

• still-me40
    still-me40 Member Posts: 8

I am so glad I stumbled across this post. I called my oncologist in tears today because I’ve been unable to shake the constant uti feeling for the past 2 months. I’ve basically told my husband I’m too scared to have sex because of the pain afterwards.

I’m in Australia but am going to order some of this. I don’t feel hopeless anymore, so thank ypu

• jinx27

gb2115 Im no Dr. but the stinging and burning sounds upon touching sounds like it can also be addressed using this, check out the website. Its lists several symptoms of atrophy or related conditions. https://www.neueve.com

Still-me40 I believe you have the option for international shipping, if you purchase it please post back here with your experience.

Stay safe ladies, I hope this works for you like its working for me.

• laughinggull
    laughinggull Member Posts: 509

I just ordered this and will report back with the results. I appreciate that you shared this!

• jinx27

Going to start my second set of Silver suppositories this evening, I also bought the NeuEve vaginal cream for occasional vulvar dryness, I think it will be nice to use right after bathing too. I have coconut oil that works well too but the NeuEve has a blend ingredients Id like to try.

• kbl

Well, I have used the Silk product three times. It was definitely making a difference. Now I have a bladder infection, and whether it is from this product or not, I won’t be using it anymore. Bladder infections are the worst, and I’m prone to them. I hadn’t had one in a long time. I will say I really liked that it was working.

• jinx27

@KBL Im soo sorry to hear you have a bladder infection! That is the absolute worse! Your wise in using judgement.

To be fair, I had difficulty putting in the suppository the first two times and my urethra got sensitive, the suppository itself got on my vulve which wasn't bad but it definitely made my urethra sensitive, I had frequent urination etc but it went away and with the 3rd, 4th and 5th application I didnt have any of that.

Im happy it was working for you, maybe it was something in the product that caused the infection! Im hoping you find something to at least give you comfort.

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

I use Luvena. It was recommended by my gynecologist, and I'd say it's working. But it's rather messy.

• kbl

Jinx, thank you. It’s okay. It was worth a try. I liked that you only did it every fourth day.

Inna, I hate messy and refuse to use anything like that. Thank you, though, for the suggestion

I miss being able to use Estrace. That stuff was perfect.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955

KBL, from painful experience, I've learned that anything that causes trauma to the urethra--be it ever so slight-- can lead to a UTI. This includes inserting a suppository into the vagina and inadvertently scraping it along the tissue toward the front, where the urethra lives. I'm venturing a guess that it's not the product's ingredients that lead to your UTI, it's the annoyed urethra that the insertion might have caused. With all the estrogen wrung out of our systems by cancer treatments, our urogenital tissues are fragile and easily damaged. I'm sorry you're battling this UTI. SB

• kbl

Thank you, SB. That makes sense. It definitely sounds plausible. I am, unfortunately used to the infections, even though it’s been a while. I always have a way to get the medication quickly. The only problem I have is they always start later in the day, so if I don’t have the Azo on hand, I have to deal with the intense stinging until the next day. I’m doing okay now since I’ve started on the medication. Thank you, again.

• Momgr5
    Momgr5 Member Posts: 13

I sure glad I came across this. I have been on tamoxifen since May 1st. This week I started with burning like I have a tear or scratched vaginal and vulva area. It came out of no where. I am so uncomfortable. To think 5 years yet with this med. I am 67. I don’t see my Dr. until the end of this month.

• kbl

Momgr5, Have you ever had a bladder infection? Does it burn after you pee? If so, you will need medication quickly. It is so painful. If that’s what it feels like,AZO has a pill you can take to stop the burning until you get medication. It will turn your pee yellow/orange. If you knew this already, please ignore.

• DATNY
    DATNY Member Posts: 53

If there is a strong burning sensation and/or frequency of urination, but no bacteria one of the three could be going on: 1) low grade chronic bacterial infection that can't be picked up by usual test, including culture; 2) a different type of bacteria that usual tests don't check such as mycoplasma; and 3) which is the worst case scenario, pelvic floor disfunction, such as interstitial cystitis. The last one is commonly triggered by sex, and is close to impossible to fix. Since the last diagnosis is done by exclusion, may take time to get it and, unfortunately, not many pd know well about it and its implication on qol.

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Hello. Have any of you ladies been told by your oncologist that you can use vagina estrogen cream just a tiny little bit once a week to help with dryness. I am 57, have not had sex since breast cancer came into my world. I am done with my treatment other than taking Anastrozole and every 6 months having zometa infusion. I am dealing with extreme dryness, and odor. Was checked for infection and have none.

• jinx27

@LIFE1963

I have seen other patients post that they use small amounts of estrogen but Ive never had this recommended. The cream I use from NeuEve is made from herbs that are not estrogenic so its safe for the vulva area, the suppository for the vaginal walls is also made of the same herbs and I have great results from using that.

I also had the same side effects as you before using NeuEve.

• jinx27

Here is a podcast done by the website, they interview an OB/GYN MD who diagnosed with hormonally receptive breast cancer. She talks about the sexually side effect and possible solutions!

Sexual Side Effects of Breast Cancer Treatment

Kelly Shanahan, M.D.

https://www.breastcancer.org/community/podcasts/sexual-side-effects-20200710

• mikamika
    mikamika Member Posts: 242

Jinx27,

Thank you so much for sharing this link!

• veeder14
    veeder14 Member Posts: 269

My Mo ordered Estrace for me. I use it very sparingly, only about 5 times over the past year and a half. It works well and I’m sure I would have less symptoms using it regularly but it seems too scary. supposedly it doesn’t go systemically. Wondering about using this after finishing Tamoxifen, would that be riskier due to not taking an anti hormonal

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,219

My oncologist is not in favor of the creams, but she has no qualms about my using the Estring (3-month, steady supply of about 8.4 mcg of estrogen), Imvexxy (a pearl you insert manually, 10mcg of estrogen 2xweek-also available in 4mcg), or Vagifem (tablet w/ applicator 2xweek).

Some women find the Estring uncomfortable. You can ask your gyn if they have a sample ring (no drug in it) to see if you can tolerate it.

I also felt like I had a uti. I've never had one in my life and this was just disturbing and really QOL issue for me. I was convinced I had the uti so they did a culture and nope. Since then, I've read that upwards of 30% of UTIs go undiagnosed because the tests aren't sensitive enough. So my gyn-nurse told me this is hugely common in women with vaginal atrophy. Lovely. I started on Imvexxy and could not believe that in 3 weeks, the misery was virtually gone. I then went on Estring and the constant release of the hormone was relief. I went back on Imvexxy but the 2x week can make a day or so feel like things can start up again, so I am going back on the Estring. For gals that think it may be a UTI, d-mannose can really help. I have an older friend who won't do estrogen and had 6 utis in 9 months. I told her about d-mannose and she hasn't had one in over a year. My theory is that the amount of estrogen we are allowed is just at the border of comfort and for some ladies prone to UTIs, it just isn't enough restorative dose to treat the urethra...d-mannose can help.

• kathabus
    kathabus Member Posts: 45

I’m still recovering from a hysterectomy, and I am on letrozole now...so I am expecting the worst down there.

My GYN said that a mix is coconut oil, olive oil and vitamin E oil works for some of her patients well. I might add essential oil like ylang ylang to it too. She said to use that EVERYDAY.

I see that there are ice cube trays for water bottles. I was thinking of making suppositories of this formulation. Maybe freeze them?

Does anyone do something like this? What’s your special formula?? Thanks! I’ll let you know how this works for me.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,219

I used coconut/olive oil for many years and it worked great. The problem for me was when my bladder kept thinking it had a UTI, but it didn't....just the lack of hormones and no amount of lubricant can deal with that. Atrophy is a b$tch and it never gets better on its own. Best to you.

• mountainlover
    mountainlover Member Posts: 59

I've been on Femara for 2 months . Prior to that I was already experiencing some dryness as I stopped HRT overnight after the cancer diagnosis. My BS/gynecologist , in agreement with the MO, prescribed 0.5 estradiol vaginal suppositories 1×Week (they said I could go up to 2x Week if needed). I've added a non-hormonal lubricant twice a week and so far I've been pleased with the results. Fingers crossed.

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Thank you for sharing. That sounds like a good "maintenance plan" for a lack of better words. LOL