Topic: Starting Radiation October 2019

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After — What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Sep 30, 2019 05:08PM

Posted on: Sep 30, 2019 05:08PM

kamboka wrote:

Is anyone else starting radiation in October? I was supposed to start today but it took them so long to do the x-rays and more markings that they mercifully postponed the treatment until tomorrow--which is October. I will be having 30 treatments over six weeks.

Dx 1/4/2019, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, FISHISHCISH Chemotherapy 3/14/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/8/2019 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Dx 7/9/2019, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3 Surgery 7/23/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 10/1/2019 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole)

Page 56 of 183 (1,827 results)

Apr 24, 2020 04:03AM mocame wrote:

Kamboka - I just found out last night that my hospital will open up for non-essential surgeries starting next week. Yay! I hope that means it's a GO for my appointments. I know what you mean about the mask being so hot. I have to wear one about 50% of the time at work and it drives me crazy. That's part of my California trip that I'm not sure about. If I have to wear a mask all the time while in California, in the heat, outside, it might be a factor in canceling my trip. We will see. I already canceled my plane tickets for May and they gave me ecredit toward another trip until September of 2022. Not sure if I would still get that if I canceled my flights twice? Not sure.

I'm so sorry you had to cancel your July trip and cruise. That stinks. I love to cruise and never worried about getting sick but now is not a good time to go, I guess. We have our annual beach trip with my husband's family in July too and we are just waiting to see if we can go or not.

Thank you for the turmeric and Celexa information. I want to see if these issues die down before I add another pill to my regime but will mention them to my MO when I meet with her. My gyno surgeon said to wait to do anything yet. He said it takes about 4 months until your body adjusts, settles down to the new normal. I don't know what normal is yet and that would be the middle of Summer! Ugh! I just don't want to add another pill to my regimen. I already feel like a walking pharmacy. :)

Have a great day!

Dx 2/12/2008, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR- Dx 8/22/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/6/2019 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 11/28/2019 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 12/5/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 24, 2020 04:52AM petite1 wrote:

mocame, That's great news. I wish the hospitals here would open up, maybe I could get my ultrasound sooner. I agree with you. The mask in the heat is miserable. The heat is miserable. I had been pretty good, but the hot flashes were terrible yesterday. I wanted to run around naked. Of course it was hot, 80 last night, before the rain started.

Kaboka, hope you can arrange your travel plans. We have not had Mom's funeral, yet. I am not sure when to even plan.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 24, 2020 06:53PM kamboka wrote:

petite1: Sorry you can't plan your mom's funeral yet. I was speaking to my close cousin and we both were saying we were praying that no one in our family dies since we'd be restricted to 10 people. My mom's state has started to open up so I hope the cases stay low.

I have two temperatures, hot and cold. Although, I'm not really flashing, I still get warm. Yesterday, it was in the 50s. I had the heat on all day and then when I went to bed, I started sweating so had to turn the AC on.

mocame: I had forgotten what kind of surgery your just had. yes, it's best to wait a few months to see what your baseline will be. Too bad it will occur in the dead of summer. Glad you have your ticket extended. I was thinking you hadn't bought one yet. I have a trip back to my mom's at the end of June, I hope the planes are still not crowded then.

Dx 1/4/2019, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, FISHISHCISH Chemotherapy 3/14/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/8/2019 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Dx 7/9/2019, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3 Surgery 7/23/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 10/1/2019 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole)

Apr 27, 2020 03:50AM mocame wrote:

Well, I think my hot flashes have decreased a little bit. My achiness/stiffness seems to come and go. I only got to exercise twice last week but it seemed better on those days.

Thankfully, our governor said construction can start up again on Friday so my husband can go back to work. Yay! He doesn't sit still so he has been working on our basement and doing outside work but Sundays drive him crazy. He doesn't like to work on Sundays but he is bored because there isn't anything to do. :)

My weekend got a little crazy. My son is a senior in high school. His senior year is ending on a very sad note because of the Covid-19. His plan was to take a gap year (to work and earn money for college) between high school and college. He was accepted by his college but will still only be 17 when he graduates in June. On Friday, his college offered him more money if he would go this fall instead of next fall. Now he tells me he is considering going this fall because of the economy and lack of job prospects! It's so late! I was scrambling this weekend trying to work on his financial aid so we can get more final $ numbers, figuring out deadlines for housing, classes, money, what we would need to buy him (all while stores are closed), etc. in the next few months if he would go. He is struggling. One day he is saying he will probably go and the next day he is saying he leaning towards not going. Ugh! He only has a few weeks to decide if he is going and if he does, get his classes, financial aid, and housing lined up because most students have all of this stuff done already. Needless to say between late nights and lots of things on my mind, I didn't get much sleep this weekend. :)

Dx 2/12/2008, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR- Dx 8/22/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/6/2019 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 11/28/2019 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 12/5/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 27, 2020 11:01AM petite1 wrote:

mocame, It sounds like you have a busy life. Jim and I put our grand niece and nephew through college. He was focused and knew what he wanted and how to get there. He finished in Criminal Justice and has been working in the police department for 5 years. She kept changing her mind, but ended up with a BA in Microbiology. We encouraged her to go to grad school, but she wanted to grow up too soon. Now, she works as a Vet Tech Assistant. They both seem happy and that's the important thing.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 27, 2020 06:11PM kamboka wrote:

I have a 'play' niece that was supposed to graduation in May and then off to college in September. The family was just discussing on Saturday if we could do some kind of virtual graduation for six different places that we live in. I was nominated to plan it but need to get busy thinking of what to do.

mocame: This is such an uncertain time for your son. He's right about not knowing what to do. I do feel so sorry for thee young folks. Life is hard in 'normal' times and I can't imagine how they feel going through this.

petite1: That's so nice of you and your husband to sponsor your relatives. I was thinking of my graduation gift to my niece might be to give her a deposit into her bank account until she graduates. I so hope she can get through university. Her two older sister both got pregnant at 17.

Apr 28, 2020 03:47AM mocame wrote:

Kamboka & Petite1 - You two are amazing to help your family out with college like that! My husband's aunt is helping by putting some money into a 529 for the kids. She gets a break on her taxes if she does that but it is appreciated. I still want the kids to have a little bit of debt and have to pay for some of college because I think they appreciate it more. Not all kids are unappreciative but I went to college at the age of 42 and I saw a number of kids that had their way paid and they put no effort into it and didn't make it.

Our governor just announced today that he didn't think graduations would happen at all. Our school just announced last night that they are pushing off graduation until June 18th in hope they can have it either in a large gym but with more social distancing or outside at our football field where we could also have more social distancing. Only immediate family allowed. Otherwise, they will be having a virtual graduation. They also postponed the prom until the end of July. I'm hoping that works and they can have some resemblance of a normal graduation.

I am having my MO appt in May now via video. I was hoping since the governor and hospital are now doing non-essential surgeries and appointments that it would be in person. I have an appt with my gyno surgeon two days before the MO and I haven't heard yet if it is in person or by video. That one I really would like in person because I am having problems with the one incision area getting very sore if it is rubbed too much. It's right at the waistband of my jeans.

Have a great day!

Apr 28, 2020 08:21AM petite1 wrote:

mocame, that sounds uncomfortable. After my TAH, I wore baggie dresses for probably 6 weeks.

Kaboka, I think that is a good idea. My brother and I talked streaming a service for mom.

Apr 28, 2020 05:56PM kamboka wrote:

mocame: I agree that making the kids pay for some of their college, it makes them appreciate it more. Back in the day when I was in school, I paid for everything either by working or with loans. My dad would give me gas money when I came home but I had a job throughout school.

Sorry you are having some incision issues. Can you put a large dressing over the area so it doesn't rub on your waistband? I did a virtual nutrition class two weeks ago and it went well. I'm thinking that the virtual sessions with our doctors might last longer than actually going to the office. My Breast Surgeon called me a few weeks ago with the mammogram results and we chat for about a minute. That's much longer than when I see her in person! I hate goting through all the trouble to get to a doctor's office and the visit lasts two minutes. My MO is very chatty and she does take the time to talk and answer questions. I have a June appointment with her. I hope things are open by that time but I'm not holding my breath.

Apr 30, 2020 03:31AM mocame wrote:

Well, I got a text message from my gyno surgeon's office to confirm that I am coming in on Monday so it looks like my appointment will happen in person. A friend of mine works in that office and said that she got called back to work after only being off 6 days but has been working in different aspects of the medical office than she normally does. She said they aren't seeing normal routine visits yet. So I guess my post-surgery appointment isn't "normal". Probably annual gyno visits is what they consider normal.

Page 56 of 183 (1,827 results)

Scroll to top button