Topic: mets to lung

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer ONLY. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets.

Posted on: Jan 6, 2012 11:53AM - edited Oct 12, 2013 10:32AM by bhd1

Posted on: Jan 6, 2012 11:53AM - edited Oct 12, 2013 10:32AM by bhd1

bhd1 wrote:

hello. i got scan rusults yesterday. looks like abraxane is not working, since cancer is spreading. i am going on navelbine now. any words of encouragement? thanks. i am new to the boards, happy to find you all

barb

barb Dx 9/22/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Page 5 of 239 (2,382 results)

May 10, 2013 03:22AM justagirl wrote:

BUMP - those with lung mets please chime in to give us newbies some guidanceCool

Debbie: Now that I'm a Stage lV'er, my anxiety has become a reality - lung mets. I am sooooo mad! Dx 3/16/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/1/2010 AC

May 10, 2013 04:24AM Reality wrote:

Hello to all - I was diagnosed with mets to lungs last fall. I participate on several other great, supportive threads. I was so glad to find this one and will definitely be joining you. Its 4 a.m. in upstate NY and I am not feeling well, so I will sign off for now, with hugs to all. 

Sherry

Sherry Dx 5/23/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/28/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel

May 10, 2013 04:27AM Reality wrote:

justagirl - Right there with you! I am ANGRY!. I honestly was not angry when my bc was first diagnosed - I was scared, but positive. I was "ready to move on" - "put it all behind me", just as all the med profs advised me to do - then "Wham!" - lung mets....

Sherry Dx 5/23/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/28/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel

May 10, 2013 07:03AM Jill49 wrote:

Barb - I am 64, was diagnosed Stage IV in 2008 with bone and lung mets after 12 years from first DX. I am going on 5 years and still have few, if any, symptoms from the cancer, only SEs from the drugs.

I've been on aromatase inhibitors (femara for a year and a half and aromasin)  I've been on Xeloda for 3 years with good results!

I've been able to carry on with living and like Debbie and Glenna and find joy in so many things I took for granted before.  I still work, travel, play and laugh.

There are times I feel scared, disappointed, sorry for myself and everyone else who is suffering, but I still have a life to live and refuse to let these feelings take over.  I have so much to be grateful for and try to celebrate every moment.

Wishing you and everyone else here all the best.  Warm thoughts and lots of hugs.

Dx 2/12/1996, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/8/2008, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 10, 2013 07:10AM justagirl wrote:

Hi Reality - thanks for joining in. I know I need help in dealing with all of this.

Like you, when I was first diagnosed with BC I was scared that my husband and son would have to watch me  suffer a slow death. I didn't mind so much dying - I was just worried about how my husband and 16 year old son would be. After getting my pathology report and talking with the oncologist and setting up my chemo and rads and the Femara to follow, I became positive and was like 'I can do this' My oncologist said then I had only a 5% chance or recurrence which the following year she said was even more remote after the double mastectomy.....but after I finished the rads I started to get anxious about mets, would have nightmares, and so scared I would wake up in the morning and actually pull the covers over my head and stay in bed until like noon. The more and longer I did this, the more I got anxious about things I used to do in and out of the house and on our property that weren't being done.

I think I was having a nervous breakdown. My new GP whom I got about a year ago finally said I shouldn't be suffering like this and we debated if I was anxious or depressed. Anxious. She prescribed an anti-anxiety med daily and I've been better ever since.

Had been on the anti-anxiety med about 3 months and was reducing the amount on my own and being comfortable, getting up easily in the morning and getting things done. I caught up on things like going to the dentist, having my hair cut and coloured, buying some new clothes as I had lost so much weight my husband said he couldn't find me in my clothes!

Then bang, while doing a CT of my liver, as the Femara had elevated the enzymes and my Dr just wanted to check everything out as my CA 15.3 was 80, the tech accidentally got some x-rays of the bottom of my lungs. Then the lung CT followed.

Mad, I was so mad. If BC was an object, I would take a sledgehammer to it and beat the sh_t out of it. And yep, everyone told me, like you, 'you don't have BC anymore so get on with your life'. My husband thought I shouldn't come on here anymore. I needed to forget BC.

Ha, yeah, like we can just snap our fingers and forget it.

When my Dr told me about the lung mets we both cried and then she wrote me a prescription doubling my anxiety medication. Wow - I think the stuff is magic!

For me to be mad about the mets makes me productive as I am going to just go on living my life, take whatever treatment I need to and keep on living my life.  So what I am Stage lV - terminal. All of us in this world are 'terminal' and no one, no one really knows when. I wasted almost 2 1/2 years of my life being upset about the initial BC and BC is not going to make me waste any more of my wonderful life.

And some day I will tell the story of what I did do with my sledgehammer (I was a bad bad girl but it was cathartic), made my son so mad he called me a 'crazy cu_t' (he is a very polite boy) and scared my husband almost to his grave. Another time.

Just don't  let me get my hands on a sledgehammer when I am mad.

Reality - hope you are feeling better in the morning............

Debbie: Now that I'm a Stage lV'er, my anxiety has become a reality - lung mets. I am sooooo mad! Dx 3/16/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/1/2010 AC

May 11, 2013 08:27AM Carolben wrote:

The scariest thing I heard was "mets to lungs, stage iv"

Been on Taxol weekly 3/1 for 3 months and had a scan on Thursday to see if it's working, what's going on in my lungs now.  Will only see onc to discuss the scan on Tuesday when I go for chemo.  It's a long time to wait, that's the hardest part is the waiting!

Thanks for a reminder that it's ok to get really, really mad at this monster - it certainly was not in my plan to get this!  And I really, really don't want it.  So I'm really going try kick its ass!  The anger can be used positively and it's always healthy to get it out.

Thanks for the longtimers for the hope you bring - statistics are one thing, real people 5 years down the line, well that's a whole nother thing, thank you!

love, courage and grace. Mets to lungs Feb 2013, 8 Dec 2014 brain mets Dx 5/14/2012, DCIS, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 5/23/2012 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 6/22/2012 AC Radiation Therapy 9/25/2012 Breast Dx 2/4/2013, Stage IV, mets Chemotherapy 2/15/2013 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 11/20/2013 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 7/18/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine) Radiation Therapy 12/15/2014 Brain Dx mets

May 11, 2013 03:13PM Tree3 wrote:

I'm not sure what to say as I consider myself new to this stage four cancer, even though I was diagnosed with it last aug. of 2012. 9 months. I'm 73 years young, active, love life, when I found myself feeling anxious and depressed for several months. Well, who wouldn't feel that way after losing husband and then a year later my son to cancer. Stage 4, melanoma. No cure. But 5 years had passed and I assumed my grief was cat hing up with me. Perhaps it was.
Anyway I found myself very ill for two weeks, each day rising and telling myself I was getting better. After about ten days I found myself having shortness of breath, so much so, I could barely breathe. At this point my other son, who lives about an hour or so from me came and took me to my GP, who listened to my lungs and said it seemed like my left lung had collapsed. Is this serious, I said. Serious enough to go to the ER, he said where it was discovered tha I had over 2 and a half liters of fluid in my lungs. I was kept in the hospital and tested for a week. Finally, they told me and my son that I had stage 4 breast cancer to spine and lungs. How long do I have, was my first question. 8 to 10 months was the answer. My son and I were both shocked. I thought I was too full of life to die. But I think that given my age and the fact that it was in my lungs my days were numbered.
Boy, were they wrong. I have been on Aromasin and faslodex since
Sept of last year and I can honestly feel myself getting better with each month. My timer markers come down a little each month( not a lot but they do go down). And here's the clincher. I feel great. No side effects from meds, no pain in spine or lungs, no loss of appetite or energy. Cancer? What cancer? I just returned from a glorious trip to France where I kept up with everyone. And I'm scheduled for a ct next Wed.
I am not fooling myself. I know I have a very fast growing cancer that can turn on me like a dime. And I know the meds,which are doing wonders, can stop working.
But for today I'm happy. I do not grieve. I rarely have a pity party, but I do sometimes.
And I'm planning to move to a home in a community near my son, because its something we both want. And I look forward to it.
My life is not perfect., but I'm still here kicking up a storm and loving it.

Dx 8/6/2012, Stage IV, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 11, 2013 07:01PM sarahlou1967 wrote:

Yay Tree sounds like you have the right attitude to this thing, Im pretty much the same as you with mets to lung but am only 45 and have been living with this for 2 years now. Keep on keeping on and live life for the moment xxx love and light to you sarah xx

Dx 2/2011, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 1/13 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 4/9/2011 Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 4/12/2011 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 9/12/2011 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 9/19/2011 Radiation Therapy 1/4/2012

May 11, 2013 07:14PM Tree3 wrote:

Thank you so much, Sarah Lou. But did I mention that no matter how great I feel I still live in fear. Always, fear of the unknown. So, we really do have to take it a day at a time. I count my blessings usually. Some times I forget.
Happy Mother's Day everyone.
Teresa

Dx 8/6/2012, Stage IV, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 11, 2013 08:27PM justagirl wrote:

Carolben and Tree: glad you have chimed in here. Makes me feel not so alone.

No, this wasn't in my plan of life to get breast cancer at 57 either. Hell, I lead a good life, free of stress, have a wonderful husband and son, live on acreage in what I call 'my heaven' and have my loving dog Jaki always by my side. Two dear Bff's and a healthy life of triathlons, eating well, no smoking or drinking and always clear mammograms. Then bang - my life is threatened and not only do I get BC three months after a clear mammogram, but it's an aggressive type and already invasive. Clear lymph nodes did not comfort me. Neither did having chemo, rads or being on Femara. I was anxious from the get-go that this sucker would invade my body and it happened.

Luckily about 3 months before I got the lung mets diagnosis, my GP felt my anxiety level was not good for me and I shouldn't have to struggle with each day so she put me on a strong anti-anxiety pill. Here in Australia they must consider it bad, as she can only write me a prescription for a weeks's worth at a time, which she does. So good I was on it when I got this shocking news - so shocking I hardly cried when my GP first told me. Then on to the oncologist who said I had 3 - 10 years to live. Crap. Oncologist changed me from Femara to Tamoxifen and said they would do another CT and blood tumour test in 6 weeks to stage my progression. Great, and in two weeks I was due to go to Kauai with my son for a much looked forward to holiday visiting friends I know from living there. Oh mad does not quite contain how I felt. Rage is even a better word.

I could imagine these mets, which are sprinkled all throughout my lungs and are tiny and numberous growing as fast as my original tumor grew and that in three months I would be dead. So going on the vacation was surreal. I only told my BFF there that we stay with before we went and she broke down. I said this is not to be mentioned to anyone and if you want to talk to me about it, not where my son can hear.

So I had the 6 week CT and much to my surprise, the mets were the same size and had not increased in size and my tumour count was down to 56 from 80. Still mad, but raging is gone. At that point I decided I was just going to get on with my life too, do whatever treatments the oncologist said, keep taking my anxiety pills (which my Dr doubled with this diagnosis) and live my life.

I refuse to have BC take another day of my life away - of me afraid to face the day when morning comes and hiding under the covers until noon. Of being sad. I prefer mad too!

Tree, I admire you perseverance and love of life and living it to the fullest and be dammed with any doctor's time frame. Go girl go!

And Carolben, my Dr or oncologist has never mentioned stages to me, but as a nurse, I know I'm stage lV, but I plan on living a long life and taking whatever treatment deemed necessary. My oncologist said chemo 3 or 4 times was possible, so bring it on if appropriate.

I have another CT and blood test the end of this month and an appointment with my GP the next day, as I would rather here from her first what is going on. A week later I see the oncologist. With my GP I can laugh and cry and talk. I don't need a therapist as I have her. She, my GP, had BC 20 years ago, with young children, a practice and an indifferent husband who just didn't seem to care. She gets me in a way no one has. Even the therapist I saw for months weekly at $150 a pop, which my insurance didn't pay for.

Funny, I lived in fear of mets from the time I finished my original therapy and that is what caused my anxiety and like froze me from doing anything and then I would get depressed as I had done nothing all day. Now, thanks to the medication, I have no anxiety, just healthy anger and even that is fading. Why waste my energy on anger. BC is not going to take away any more of the beautiful days of my life.

Tree, I do understand you living with fear. Your lung mets were discovered way later than mine. I am asymptomatic and it was by a fluke they were discovered. Oncologist said it is rare and unusual to discover lung mets at my stage - like for you - it';s usually found when one has breathing issues but that doesn't mean the drugs and treatments can't stop it's progress or even reverse some of it.

We have to all live in hope and stay strong.  Sarah, your strength two year down the road is inspiring!

I need all of you to keep me on an even keel.  Thank you!

Page 5 of 239 (2,382 results)

Scroll to top button