We are 193,347 members in 81 forums discussing 143,423 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Abraxane

Topic: Abraxane

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: Feb 2, 2016 11:20PM

DancingVeggie wrote:

Weird that there hasn't been a thread devoted to Abraxane before this... here goes nothing!

Dx 10/6/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 12/17/2008 AC Chemotherapy 2/4/2009 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 4/16/2009 Breast Hormonal Therapy 5/31/2009 Dx 10/24/2012, 6cm+, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2- Targeted Therapy 11/5/2012 Avastin (bevacizumab) Chemotherapy 11/5/2012 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 9/23/2013 Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy 3/10/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole) Chemotherapy 6/25/2014 Halaven (eribulin) Chemotherapy 8/18/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine)

Page 8 of 8 (225 results)

Posts 211 - 225 (225 total)

Sep 13, 2017 10:57AM Kaption wrote:

Nichol- I'm glad you found us and can see a possible way out of your terrible past months.

I've only had four Abraxane treatments and had to have a dosage reduction. But on that lower dosage I'm feeling much better than I did at the end of Xeloda. Yes, the hair gone again- oh well.

Stay in touch with us.

Prayers and hugs for feeling much, much better!

Dx 8/2005, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, ER+, HER2+ Dx 5/2012, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+, HER2+ Dx 6/2013, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+, HER2- Chemotherapy Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Surgery Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy External: Bone Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Sep 13, 2017 12:02PM auroaya wrote:

Hello everyone reporting from southwest Florida! Thank God the power is back since yesterday afternoon and we got Cel signal today. Fortunately I did not suffer too bad through the weather only yesterday I had a couple of nausea/vomit fits but that's it.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Aurora

Dx 12/23/2009, Stage IIA, 11/16 nodes, ER+ Chemotherapy 1/10/2010 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/5/2010 Mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2010 Radiation Therapy 9/1/2010 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 7/17/2013, Stage IV, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+ Hormonal Therapy 7/19/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/1/2013 3DCRT: Bone Chemotherapy 3/23/2015 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 4/12/2016 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 4/12/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery

Sep 13, 2017 02:48PM Kaption wrote:

Aurora- so good to hear you! I have a close friend in Ft. Myers who is struggling. Her house did not flood though. Hope she has power today!

Glad you made it ok.

Dx 8/2005, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, ER+, HER2+ Dx 5/2012, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+, HER2+ Dx 6/2013, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+, HER2- Chemotherapy Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Surgery Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy External: Bone Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Sep 14, 2017 03:47PM PeacockGirl wrote:

I begin Abraxane tomorrow Friday Sept 15th. My MO already lowered the dosage a bit to start and we will do weekly infusion with a 2 or 3 week duration to see if we can affect the bumpy rash on my neck, it's so superficial we can see if the chemo is working or not. I begin the prednisone taper today coming down from 100mg to 80mg that she put me on for the immuno related pneumonia that Keytruda spawned a month ago. She said it will be a little bit like driving a car with abraxane and the steroids, gas and brake, gas and brake, the immune system got too revved up and then we damped it a bit too much with prednisone now we add the chemo and it's like a dance. I'm hoping the abraxane helps a bit with the ascites too. That's really been my main problem, the swelling in my gut is such that I have no room to breathe or eat well. and peeing and pooping is a real chore just so much pressure my body isn't used to. And it's not typical ascites it's all little pockets of swelling in and around my nodes in the mesentery. They tried to drain for pathology two weeks ago and only got a 30 ml sample. Not enough to "characterize". Although the fluid didn't abjectively "appear" malignant. I do have a little pleural effusion still on bottom of my left lung but it is so much better and my pneuomonia cough is probably 99% gone. Just soooooo slow to make a turn.

The rashy bumps on my neck actually turned up in July they are like mosquito bites combined with a pimple, itch sometimes, leak fluid under the skin like blisters sometimes, probably just some rogue TNBC cells that leaked out of the lymph nodes in my neck that have been inflamming, swelling, going up and down since last fall. My recurrence really has been kept to the lymph nodes I have a PET from August 3 and a CT from August 17th that still show no speck of cancer in liver, lungs, or other organs. GO figure.

The Keytruda trial was interesting. Early on it looked like it was working, the nodes in my neck went down, but then other nodes in chest and gut started to inflamme this spring. Then I got hives for 2 months. Then I got fevers for two months. Then the gut node pain increased and now I have basically lymphedema in my gut that matches the lymphedema in my left arm (two sentinal nodes removed 4 year ago and the supraclavicular nodes that got my stage 4 diagnosis in Oct 2016) I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about keytruda that anybody has. I did it concurrantly with xeloda. Sometimes it's hard to know what drug was causing what. Incidentally, this trial had the option of doing xeloda by pill with keytruda OR weekly abraxane infusions. Guess I get to try the abraxane now afterall. Here's hoping fingers crossed, it helps me turn a corner. And soon. ~Nichole

spread your wings and show the world your stuff. Don’t be afraid to be who you are – each peacock feather is flawed and imperfect, but collectively they create something of great beauty. Your flaws are what make you PERFECT! Dx 7/18/2013, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/9/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/13/2013 AC Chemotherapy 11/8/2013 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 1/14/2014 Breast Dx 10/10/2016, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to other, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Targeted Therapy 12/17/2016 Chemotherapy 12/17/2016 Xeloda (capecitabine)

Sep 14, 2017 05:09PM Kaption wrote:

Nichole- hope the Abraxane really helps! What challenges you've had!

I just had my fifth treatment this morning. My first time to get 3 in a row. I was rock bottom (1.01) on neutrophils, but got the green light. I had some achy muscles this afternoon. Now I a week off. Hope this lower dose is working!

Hope we are all getting good results.

Everyone have a great weekend!

Sep 14, 2017 06:48PM theziz wrote:

Hi ladies;

I have been on abraxane and gemzar for about 4 months now and I was feeling better every day but two weeks ago I began having this cough and I'm freaking out. My fear is that this treatment stops working.

Scans are coming up next month soI'll find out.

Ziz

Dx 9/17/2013, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 13/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 6/14/2015, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/lungs, 13/17 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Targeted Therapy 6/15/2015 Ibrance (palbociclib) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant), Zoladex (goserelin) Chemotherapy Navelbine (vinorelbine)

Sep 14, 2017 07:11PM auroaya wrote:

Ziz I have had persistent cough on and off since my Mbc dx. Somehow I think I saw somewhere that it is a common occurrence during cancer treatment. Try not to worry too much and do mention it to your onco next time you see himno her. In my case I was sent to a pulmonologist who dx asthma and sleep apnea which coupled with my Gerd made throw up. I'm better since using inhalers.

Again try not to worry it could be something as simple as asthma but needs to be addressed.

Aurora

Dx 12/23/2009, Stage IIA, 11/16 nodes, ER+ Chemotherapy 1/10/2010 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/5/2010 Mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2010 Radiation Therapy 9/1/2010 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 7/17/2013, Stage IV, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+ Hormonal Therapy 7/19/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/1/2013 3DCRT: Bone Chemotherapy 3/23/2015 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 4/12/2016 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 4/12/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery

Sep 14, 2017 11:20PM - edited Sep 14, 2017 11:20PM by artistatheart

Peacock, the exit same thing happened to me as far as ascites. It came on like gangbusters and I lost all appetite and therefore 25 pounds and muscle mass in my legs. Also the same issue with the pressure in my belly which made it difficult to go to the bathroom. I have to say Abraxane has helped me. I was going in to get drained every week and it's now ben 3 weeks since I've had to go in thank God! My Onc gave me two weeks off here to try and let the neuropathy clear up but so far it is not much better. My hands just don't work right. Walking is getting somewhat better though as I am forcing myself to walk around my house without the walker. Balance is still off. I go back Monday for next round and just pray so much that this does not go backwards again or that the neuropathy is permanent!!!???

Dx 7/22/2015, ILC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 8/10/2015 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 8/25/2015 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant)

Sep 15, 2017 01:00AM PeacockGirl wrote:

the artist-was your ascites tested? I was so disappointed they didn't get enough sample for full pathology on mine the procedure sucked and hurt! I hold onto my doctors experience that it isn't malignant...just reactive lymph fluid. It is freaking crazy how it's made me an invalid like my insides are always on the verge of exploding...can't walk without horrible pain ugh. I hold onto hope abraxane helps me like it has you! You give me a real mental boost tonight thank you!!

spread your wings and show the world your stuff. Don’t be afraid to be who you are – each peacock feather is flawed and imperfect, but collectively they create something of great beauty. Your flaws are what make you PERFECT! Dx 7/18/2013, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/9/2013 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/13/2013 AC Chemotherapy 11/8/2013 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 1/14/2014 Breast Dx 10/10/2016, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to other, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Targeted Therapy 12/17/2016 Chemotherapy 12/17/2016 Xeloda (capecitabine)

Sep 15, 2017 08:27AM Kaption wrote:

My MO added a new test to my CBC yesterday. It's metamyelocyte. Does anyone else get this test. As far as I can understand from doctor Google it has something to do with the shape of the nucleus and the "normal" read is 0. Mine is 2.

Guess I'll hear something if it's a problem.

Sep 16, 2017 05:59AM PeacockGirl wrote:

well my first abraxane chemo was uneventful . It was.the huge blood I passed trying to pee put me in ER after chemo with a Foley catheter (horrific) and a hospital admission with BP of 185/100. Can't figure out if ascites pressure is causing bladder to not empty or the ramp up of oxy drugs has slowed all downing the last month ( colon too what a mess). Never been hospitalized overnight my whole life ...really wish I could catch a break. Been having trouble with bladder since pneumonia started week of August 15 just no natural urge to pee ....sucks so bad. Attending onco wants low back MRI to rule out spine or nerve mets tomorrow

Sep 16, 2017 08:24AM Kaption wrote:

So sorry Peacock girl! I hope you get answers and relief soon.

Gentle hugs!

Sep 16, 2017 10:10PM PeacockGirl wrote:

switched pain med to gaba pentin holy cow it's working and appetite came back ate two real meals today . Will probably stay another night liver ast and alt wonky before abraxane but super wonky after ??? They think reactive immunotherapy in this one too ...lo back MRI hadn't been read by radiology yet but attending says nothing suspicious. No side effects from abraxane to mention. Really needed this small move and ability to eat!!!!!

Sep 16, 2017 10:47PM lalady1 wrote:

Hey Peacock - think of this as a mini-staycation. Glad the gabapentin is doing well, I take that sometimes too. Let's get you eating and walking better, so you are ready for your next abraxane date. :0 No more peeing blood. Kaption - I don't know about metamyelocyte. Please ask your MO to share. I was in the mall today, tired but happy to get a present for my 18 year old niece. Artist - I am rooting for you! Safe and painfree weekend everyone.

Surgery 1/29/2013 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 9/8/2013 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 1/6/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole), Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 1/6/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Targeted Therapy 5/16/2017 Afinitor (everolimus) Chemotherapy 8/14/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Dx IDC, Left, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 16, 2017 11:03PM artistatheart wrote:

Peacock, Sooooo sorry you are having multiple issues. Glad the new Oxo is working though. You need a break. My bladder issue is opposite, drink a few ounces and BAM need to pee. My ascites unfortunately was malignant but still hanging in there with no draining needed. Though I still get a little bloated and feel pressure after a meal. But it usually subsides by morning. Been walking around as much as possible without walker today. Hoping to attend my nieces wedding in two weeks walking in unattended. I don't want another weeks break from Abraxane even with the hands issue as I am so afraid of the ascites coming back. Just a heads up, I am usually fine the first and second day of infusion, by the 3rd I sort of crash....

Kaption, never heard of that test.....but I admit I could be more vigilant about checking my results. Everything just seems like such a chore lately when I'd rather be doing something pleasurable.

Dx 7/22/2015, ILC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 8/10/2015 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 8/25/2015 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant)

Page 8 of 8 (225 results)