Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

how about drinking?

Options

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,947
    Options

Thanks to the mods for sharing the condolences.

Hope all will be okay for ChiSandy.

It hit 100 here today. Not ready for this yet...

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,557
    Options

Hooray! Time to relax! Got the surprise assignment done! I would have been done sooner but I had to wait for another person to post their assignment for me to do a peer review. They didn’t post until the wee hours this morning, so I took care of it as soon as I saw it.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,855
    edited June 7
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy TGIF day! Well, looks like our spell of great summer weather is going to take a break, rain is predicted every day through Monday. At least it's going to be warm enough to be comfortable rain and not cold, miserable rain.

Mom called at 11 peeyem last night. Her phone rang, but she couldn't get to it in time to answer, and she was trying to figure out who called her and was all in a tizzy that something was wrong with me or my brother or someone. I got her settled down, then she went through her usual "did I tell you about" list and finally got done at almost midnight. I love her dearly, but I do wish she would sleep at least a few hours at night, and not so much in the afternoons and evenings! Oh, well, it's not like I have to get up and go to work these days, right?

Wally--Glad to hear that an electric lawn mower will be usable. I got talked into getting a gas one last time I bought, I could start it that first season, then never could get it to start again, eventually gave it away to someone who could get it to start and actually use it. Stephen King is still writing, mostly short stories and collections of short stories. This is what he looked like when I would see him around town from time to time, in the Firestarter days, 1984, with Drew Barrymore:

This is what he looks like recently:

Miriandra--Stephen King has cameo appearances in more than 20 movies and shows, even some that are not based on his works. Wow, that clip is crazy! I never realized how interconnected all his works were. Of course, I haven't actually read all of those stories, but now I think I need to go out and find and read at least some of them!

Jazzy -- ouch, hope your AC is working!

Mommy--Hooray indeed, for getting the assignment done! Nothing like waiting for someone else to post something so you can finish as assignment like that.

Fire Starter Cocktail

Mixed Drink Recipe from Cocktail Builder

1 oz of Triple Sec

1 oz of peach schnapps

1 oz of sloe gin

1 1/2 oz of Coca-Cola (or coke)

1 1/2 oz of Vodka

Pour all ingredients into a highball glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well, and serve.

From <>

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,544
    Options

Denver is supposed to reach 96 today - glad we are in the mountains where it will be in the high 70s. Yesterday the weather was perfect - blue sky, sun and not too hot to hike. The mountains were glorious. Got some great shots.

Today we are going to do our hard hike - labeled on the map as "difficult", but when you get to the top the views are magnificant. It is 4 miles round trip with elevation gain of 1,372 feet so at the summit its about 11K above sea - not a 14er but amazing anyways. It is the hardest hike I've ever done. We will have tomorrow to recouperate from this hike. We take our time and stop as many times as needed going up and coming down which in some ways is harder. I'm always spent after doing it.

Our favorite hike is much easier which we do every trip and a couple times each trip. We did it yesterday and will do again tomorrow.

Have a great day

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Got everything done right up to end of term for both classes.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,959
    Options

Yay, mommyof3! You must be feeling relief and accomplishment.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

oh yeah! So glad it almost over brain is getting fried from all the studying I have done for all my classes since last year! Looking forward to submitting it all and doing no more studying!

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Saturday! Gray, gloomy, and drizzly here today, should be like this all weekend. At least it's warm! Got the Jeep all taken care of yesterday, fixed the exhaust, new tires, some other things, to the tune of $2K. Some of these things should have been done sooner, but I kept putting it off, not wanting to spend Saturdays sitting in a waiting room, so it's mostly my own fault. But, caught up and good to go for a while now.

Karen--that sounds like an amazing hike with a fantastic view as a reward! I read where high temp records are being broken in that area just now. I bet it's much more comfortable in the mountains.

Mommy--raising a glass to the student who is done for the semester! Great feeling, isn't it?

Morning, Carole!

Mountain Daisy

Shake with ice:

2 oz Salers Gentian Apéritif

1 oz Cocchi Americano Bianco

1 oz lime juice

1 pinch salt

Strain into a coupe.

From
    <> https://alpenz.com/recipe-7BHQZnPgM7.html

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 888
    Options

Looks delicious NM!

Happy Saturday all!!

• m0mmyof3
    edited June 8
    Options

Yep. Just down to posting up the work and doing responses to discussion posts!

Boy did my latest adventure into my ancestry call for a couple of drinks! Was doing a little hunting for some information on the extended family on my Daddy’s side. I was trying to see if I could find how his maternal grandmother’s (my dad’s mother’s mom) maiden name was originally spelled as there has been some controversy over it in the family over the years. So yesterday while poking around on a site I frequent to find family graves and their locations I looked up my paternal grandmother’s mother’s parents and I found where their graves are and also the original spelling! I dang near cried and fired off a quick email to my Daddy’s only remaining sister about it! She was so tickled she had me get the information and send it to her! Now I am looking into my paternal grandmother’s dad side of the family as that is another puzzle we are trying to solve as far who was the first one on that side of the family to come from Ireland and when that happened, so I am knee deep in that search now and I may have found a few leads!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,403
    Options

My dad was adopted by my step-grandfather after the 1918 flu pandemic killed his father at only 36. His birth surname had many variant spellings that led me to dead ends because many of them were definitely not Jewish and even had been in America since the mid-1800s. It took the death in Paris of a third cousin I'd never known I had to find the right spelling. I was listed as an intestate heir of my paternal grandma's family, and the cousin's estate had to hire a genealogist, whose work did unravel a lot of the mystery (on one of the four branches of my family tree). It's very hard to trace genealogy of Ashkenazi Jews because so many perished in the Holocaust—those who survived earlier pogroms and persecution.

My drink last night was a rosé cava.

Our hotel had a small fire this morning (you can't make this stuff up), one week to the day after we were evacuated due to our own house fire. The hotel fire was minor—a hand-held vac battery ignited in the utility room after being plugged in too long. Fortunately, we were out of our rooms for only a bit over an hour before the fire dept gave the all-clear. This stuff is getting old.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Sandy,

you can’t win, can ya? It’s bad enough being out of your home due to a fire, but now the hotel too but at least you were able to get back in.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Sunday Fun day! Not much happening this weekend. I am hoping the drizzle will let up like it did yesterday afternoon. The puppers don't seem to mind the wet and damp, but they sure don't smell good when it comes to cuddle time when they are wet!

Morning, Reader!

Mommy--wow, what a great find! Definitely worth a couple of drinks to celebrate!

Chi--I can't imagine how difficult it must be to trace back your ancestry. I have a friend who is struggling with tracing his family because of the family name being changed when his ancestors arrived in the US and the original name has been lost to time. Unreal to have to evacuate the hotel due to a fire on the 1 week anniversary of your house fire! I'm glad it wasn't too long or very serious.

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Sunday Fun day! Not much happening this weekend. I am hoping the drizzle will let up like it did yesterday afternoon. The puppers don't seem to mind the wet and damp, but they sure don't smell good when it comes to cuddle time when they are wet!

Morning, Reader!

Mommy--wow, what a great find! Definitely worth a couple of drinks to celebrate!

Chi--I can't imagine how difficult it must be to trace back your ancestry. I have a friend who is struggling with tracing his family because of the family name being changed when his ancestors arrived in the US and the original name has been lost to time. Unreal to have to evacuate the hotel due to a fire on the 1 week anniversary of your house fire! I'm glad it wasn't too long or very serious.

BURIED TREASURE

INGREDIENTS

• 2 oz Casa Noble Blanco Tequila
    • 0.75 oz orange-chamomile simple syrup (see recipe below)
    • 0.5 oz lemon juice
    • 0.25 oz spiced rum
    • 2 dashes bitters
    • Orange zest
    • Tarragon sprig

PREPARATION

1. Combine all ingredients, except orange zest and tarragon, into mixing glass and stir.
    2. Strain into glass over ice.
    3. Squeeze orange zest; rub around the rim and drop into glass.
    4. Garnish with tarragon.

ORANGE-CHAMOMILE SIMPLE SYRUP

INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup water
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 3 chamomile tea bags
    • 1 orange tea bag

PREPARATION

1. Combine sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves and water begins to boil.
    2. Remove from heat; add tea bags.
    3. Let steep for 1 hour, then cool.

Fro

• carolehalston
    Options

Good morning! The ancestry search sounds interesting.

Glad you got your jeep fixed up, NM. Now you're ready to go!

It's sunny here in MN today but breezy. 55 degrees outside. Nothing planned except straightening up the camper and doing some laundry.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Carole, it’s a long process for me. I started helping my sister before she died in 2010. I was able to find lots of information back then. I took it over after she died but it stalled for a while. I worked on it off and on and found a few things that was interesting but the latest find was a huge puzzle to solve. I was just goofing off on Friday trying to locate as many of my late relatives cemetery locations to go to one day to find their burial site when I found this. It was just like someone kicked me when I found it. Now I am looking at the other side of my dad’s family and that is more involved as it’s answering just who emigrated from Ireland to Canada and eventually Wisconsin.

• chisandy
    edited June 10
    Options

Carole, I don't know how you two can live an entire summer in a 5th wheel trailer. Bob & I are sharing a hotel room—and the tiny bathroom—with our two cats, their litterbox/Litter Genie, food & kibble dishes and water bowl. When we walk into the room, we no longer smell smoky objects—we smell leftover wet cat food. Can't wait to move into the bigger & nicer suite hotel—where we can keep the foods & water in the kitchen and leave the "potty" stuff in the bathroom. The new house has 2.5 baths and a utility room, so the box(es) can go down there. The food will remain in the kitchen. It's a split-level, with a sunken living room & kitchen down 3 steps, another 4 down to the basement rec & utility rooms, and the bedrooms up 4 steps. Entrances are only 2 steps up from the street. Heaven forfend I need a hip replacement between July & December, I can definitely rehab at home. And for the first time we will have a comfy tornado refuge.

Took our friends out for Korean BBQ, so naturally the DOTD was soju (distilled from unfermented rice, sorta like a cross between sake & vodka).

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Monday Monkey Day! I hope everyone had a good weekend. Colt is curled up in the recliner snoring, Zoe is outside in the yard chasing the wind blowing things around. For some reason she is really wound up this ayem, she practically pulled my arm out of the socket playing tug a while ago!

Carole--yup, Sapphire is good to go for a while. She's a little more than half paid off, and I'm hoping she won't cost a lot of money to keep up going forward now that I'm caught up.

Morning, Mommy!

Chi--sounds like major changes in the house are coming! I hope you can get into a bigger place soon. A hotel room can get pretty cramped with just 2 people, let alone adding in pets!

JUNE BUG

INGREDIENTS

1ounce Midori melon liqueur

1ounce malibu coconut rum

1⁄2ounce banana liqueur (optional)

1ounce prepared sweet-and-sour mix

2ounces pineapple juice

DIRECTIONS

Mix well and pour over ice. Enjoy!

From
    <> https://www.food.com/recipe/june-bug-cocktail-269392

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Went and renewed my Nugget’s dog license today after going for pre-op blood work. Now I have one heck of a bruise starting as the only vein the girl found was a small one and she had a little trouble getting it started so she pulled the butterfly needle back a little and then slid it back in and was able to get the blood work done. Told the girl beforehand I am a tough stick and I had drank plenty of water to help with the blood work.

• chisandy
    Options

m0mmy, I am a notoriously tough stick, but Bob (he's a doctor) warned me never to tell that in advance to a nurse or phlebotomist, because it makes them nervous. VeinFinder infrared lamp is very helpful.

We move from this hotel room on Wednesday 6/12 to the downtown suite hotel. And we have to be out of there 6/23 because that's when we move into the new house (spacious, safe 'hood in a close-in suburb).

My car's backup camera has gone psycho and needs replacing. How ever did we parallel-park before backup cameras? (Like before 2011, when I bought my Fusion Hybrid). My friends whose much older cars don't have them are laughing!

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Sandy, I warn them because I get tired of the “let’s find a useable vein” game of trying 3 or 4 different areas before they finally get it.

• carolehalston
    Options

I am not a difficult stick but the male nurse who attended me prior to my recent explant/revision left me with a purple hand that took weeks to return to normal appearance.

• carolehalston
    Options

Sandy, during the early years of marriage, dh and I lived on a sailboat in a marina. It was 40 feet long and 13 feet wide at the widest point but tapered at each end. Like the 5th wheel, it was a movable living quarters. We would spend weekends at anchor out at "the Point." We travelled all over the US and Alaska and much of Canada in the 5th wheel before deciding to leave it here at Pine Hollow Resort year round. The 5th wheel is roomy compared to the sailboat. Our house in Louisiana isn't large, about 2000 sq. feet.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

ouch Carole! Bruises like I get from a blown vein like today takes at least 2-3 weeks to heal on me. Of course the small vein they took blood from today was in the inside corner of my elbow

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Twofer Tuesday! Waking up to a beautiful day today, was hoping to get the kayak out, but the left, AKA the good, knee is downright painful since PT yesterday. My right knee is so much better it's amazing. The lefty started acting up, same issue as the right, so the therapist did some work on it yesterday, and since then it has been VERY talkative! I gave in and took some tylenol when I went to bed, that helped some. The right knee flared up really good just before getting a lot better, so I'm hoping this will be a short-lived thing.

Miriandra--my PT is doing Gaston, or Graston massage, but can't call it that because she didn't buy the branded tools, she uses generic tools and has to call it "Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Massage." Whatever it's called, its working wonders on the right knee, no reason it expect it won't on the left, too!

Mommy--sorry you got bruised with the lab work.

Chi--I've heard there is technology out there to help with finding veins. I'll be glad when the price comes down enough that local labs will be able to afford them. Are you moving to a hotel suite, and then to a temporary house? That's a lot of moving! "How did we ever" is a more and more common question these days! How did we ever survive as a species before lots of techy things?

Carole--so sorry you had to go through that. Surgery is bad enough without complications like that. Not to mention how uncomfortable it can be. Wow, living on a boat must have been fantastic!

Bruise Cocktail

Ingredients

Garnish

No Garnish

Instructions

Pour orange vodka, raspberry liqueur and blue curacao into a glass with ice. Fill it with pineapple juice. Add the splash of lemon-lime soda.

From <>

https://www.goodcocktails.com/recipes/mixed-drink/bruise

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,111
    Options

It's so weird how Graston is a branded name. A lot of therapists just call it gua sha, the Chinese name, even if they aren't using strictly traditional techniques. It can be miserable, but it works wonders.

• chisandy
    Options

We move first to an all-suites hotel (1BR/1BA, small living room, kitchenette); then on the 23 & 24th to our new temporary house. Will have to buy at least a coffee grinder for the combo Keurig/drip pot machine; and likely a new Nespresso machine (ideally with a frothing wand). Nothing (grocery, pharmacy, gym, Starbucks) will be w/in walking distance, and since there is no street parking allowed, will have to back into/out of our driveway. Big garage, but tough to access—one of us can park and then maneuver inside to turn around. Hope my new backup camera arrives & can be installed before then!

Last night's DOTD: Cooper's Hawk Lux Sparkling Brut.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,947
    Options
  • chisandy
    Options

We're in the Homewood Suites downtown, which is an improvement over the HE Express in Niles. Cats have more opportunities to explore and room to chase each other. Have had, though—and am repeatedly having—some more, uh, "adventures," which I will explain on the "Older Women" thread.

With dinner at Joe's Seafood & Steak last night, Dopff & Irion rosé Cremant d'Alsace.

• nativemainer
    edited June 14
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy TGIF Day! I can't wait for the PT appointment this afternoon, I am so hoping she can do something about my left knee. It’s been hurting so much this week that it's hard to get around. The Wednesday, Women, and Wine get-together last night was on the second floor of the restaurant, and it took me forever to get up and then down those stairs. And another forever to get up and down the stairs here at home from the basement/garage to the living area.

The puppers and I had a bit of fun the other evening. I was reading and saw a flash out the window, looked up to see what it was, saw another flash, realized it was lightning, then realized the power was off. This was around 5 peeyem. So, ok, first thunderstorm related power outage of the summer, nothing unusual there. My power goes out more often in the summer than the winter anyway. Got the message from the electric company, expected restoration time is 7:15 peeyem. Got a call from Mom, she left her phone in my car (she was calling from the neighbor's), so I drive the phone to Mom and get back around 9 peeyem, still no power. Go to bed, try to sleep without the fan, power finally comes back on around 4 ayem. Turns out a substation got hit by lightning! Usually the problem is a downed line or two. I think I had better find a battery operated fan to have on hand for when this happens again, I was surprised how much difference not having the fan on made.

Miriandra--whatever they call it, that technique did wonders on my right knee, and I'm hoping it will do the same on the left. The massage itself feels pretty good, but the after math can be uncomfortable for a while. But as long as it keeps making things better, I 'll deal with it.

Chi--the temporary house seems like it will be more comfortable than the hotel suite. Not having services withing walking distance will be a challenge. I'm sure you two will get to be masters at maneuvering the driveway and garage before very long.

Jazzy--Love that idea! I've got another half case of mixed rose wines being delivered today for my summer enjoyment.

Lightning Bolt Cocktail Recipe

Muddle 5 Blueberries in the bottom of Glass

Add 1.5 oz CANE Key West Lemon Lime Vodka

Add small Splash of sour mix

Top with Club Soda

Garnish with Blueberry Skewer

From <>

https://www.floridacane.com/post/lightning-bolt-cocktail-recipe

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Sticking to seltzer water today. Going to be almost 90 here and thunderstorms are predicted for later.