Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

how about drinking?

Options

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,959
    Options

I had a glass of the house chianti at an Italian restaurant last night. It was a big glass and the pour was generous.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,173
    Options

NM - I have an O2Cool battery fan that also plugs into AC power. It's an older model that takes 8 D cell batteries. I think the newer model only takes 6 batteries. In any case, it allowed me to sleep OK every night of the 6 nights I we were without power when it was over 90 during the day and the lowest in the house was 83 at night.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,544
    Options

Kim - I saw this on a Costco page on FB - don't know cost, but it looks interesting.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,403
    edited June 15
    Options

With surf & turf (filet & salmon) at last night's banquet, Canyon Road Pinot Noir.

Just bought a tiny Nespresso Essenza Mini & some Peet's capsules for the suite (and eventually the new house). Mugs in room too tall to fit under it, though. Was able to finagle some paper ones from the Lavazza Caffe counter at Eataly, seeing as how the only real ones in the store were $20 each. (There's a Starbucks on the next corner, so I might pop in to see if they have espresso cups or shot glasses). I could've bought a Nespresso Vertuo with a milk frother built in, but it was >$200, too big to haul here & to the new place, and the Vertuo capsules are much more expensive than the Original ones. Once we move to the new house, I will buy an Aerocccino frother so I can have my cappuccinos. Watched the cleanup crew wrap up my semipro espresso machine & grinders—won't see them again till at least Dec..

Tonight's DOTD at Eataly was Ferrari Brut NV (Tuscany).

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,855
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Saturday! Yesterday's PT visit was a mix of good and bad news. The good news is the right knee is hugely better and can be discharged. The bad news is the left knee has the same problem with the patella as the right, but to a lesser degree, and isn't able to hide behind the pain from the right knee anymore and needs its own course of therapy. So I've got a request out to my PCP for a referral for PT for lefty. The difference in the right knee is absolutely amazing! While the pain isn't totally gone, it's minimal and very bearable, and given the arthritis in the area I expect to have some pain/discomfort in my knees going forward. As long as it doesn't get so bad I have to have any kind of surgery, though, I will be quite content.

Mommy--good reminder for everyone to drink more water this time of year. I know I need to.

Carole--I bet the chianti was good!

Minus and Karen--great ideas, thank you! I will check out both of them.

Chi--You must be feeling terribly displaced. It's good you are able to get a machine for coffee/espresso and things to go with it, it will make things a bit more comfortable while you wait to get back into your home.

Summer Sunshine

Ingredients

• 2 oz tequila
    • 0.5 oz simple syrup
    • 0.5 oz fresh lemon juice
    • 5-6 chunks of yellow watermelon, seeds removed
    • 2-3 basil leaves, torn
    • ice
    • extra watermelon and basil for garnish

Instructions

1. Add all ingredients to a shaker.
    2. Muddle basil and watermelon well.
    3. Add ice and shake for 30 seconds.
    4. Dump into a tall glass.
    5. Garnish with basil and watermelon.

From <>

https://www.cuisineandcocktails.com/summer-sunshine/

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,557
    edited June 15
    Options

Native, hubby and I made sure I am well stocked with waters and a couple Gatorades for when the heat really starts going. By end of week it’s going to be high 90s with heat index every day of 100+ starting Tuesday! Going to have plenty of ice on hand for my cats and dog’s water dishes! They love ice in their water!

• chisandy
    Options

These hotel stays with the kitties are doing a number on my arthritic L hip—I have to do all the bending involved with feeding them (dishes on the floor) and litter management. I taught Bob the latter back before the fire, but he seems to have forgotten how. Doing laundry at the first hotel really set it off. It hurts to sit and even to lie down to sleep—and BangBang insists on awakening me at dawn by aggressively face-rubbing (those little fangs can really hurt, but she doesn’t know that and believes she’s just loving her mama). I will almost certainly need that hip replaced (unless it’s a connective-tissue/muscle issue, e.g, iliopsoas or piriformis). Voltaren & arnica gels and Arthritis strength Tylenol aren’t making a dent. Found my last couple of Aleve that were in my travel bag pill folder—took them and hope the Dexilant keeps the GERD at bay. I suspect my newfound lack of “padding” in the region may be partly to blame.

With late night tapas at Navy Pier after the fireworks, a flute of cava.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning,
    Loungettes! Happy Sunday Funday! Another beautifully sunny day here, but chilly again. Temps down low enough overnight for the weather people to be talking about possible frost! Temps expected to be in the 70s today and tomorrow, then jump up to the high 90s midweek. I wish Mother Nature would just split the difference and leave temps around 80 days/60 nights for a while.

Mommy--when the heat
    hits later this week I'm going to put ice in the puppers' water bucket and see what they think of it.

Chi--sorry to hear about your hip. I hope it something easily fixed with PT or a massage. Not being able to sleep well is a real bummer and makes pain feel a lot worse.

Classic Painkiller

Ingredients

• 2 ounces dark or navy rum
    • 4 ounces pineapple juice
    • 1 ounce orange juice
    • 1 ounce cream of coconut
    • Pineapple wedge, for garnish
    • Grated nutmeg, for garnish

Steps to Make It

1. Gather the ingredients. 
    2. Pour the rum, pineapple juice, orange juice, and cream
      of coconut into a cocktail shaker filled with ice
    3. Shake well.
    4. Strain into a chilled highball glass filled with fresh ice.
    5. Garnish with a pineapple wedge and sprinkle the Painkiller with
      grated nutmeg on top.
    6. Serve and enjoy.

From
    <> https://www.thespruceeats.com/painkiller-cocktail-recipe-760473

• carolehalston
    Options

NM, I agree with your wish that nature be more moderate in temperatures and weather. It's overcast here this morning with temperature in the 60's. Nothing planned.

Happy Sunday to all.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

native,

it’s worth a try. Nugget goes nuts for ice in his. The girls let it melt to make it colder

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Monday Monkey Day!

Welp, Zoe has figured out she can squeeze under the bottom of the gate and escape the dog yard. Now I've got to figure out a way to keep her from doing that, and fill in a couple of holes that I found that are big enough for her to get through. Never a dull moment with these guys!

Morning, Carole and Mommy!

Hi to Jazzy, Chi, Karen, Reader, Miriandra, Sunshine, Illi, Wren, Misty, Minus, Wallycat.

I'm still logging on and looking for Goldie/Lori's posts. . .

Escape Artist Cocktail

Ingredients

• 1½ oz aged Jamaican rum like Appleton Estate Signature Blend
    • 1 oz chile liqueur like Ancho Reyes
    • 1½ oz pineapple juice
    • ½ oz lime juice
    • ½ oz hibiscus syrup
    • Garnish: bouquet of mint
    • Garnish: pineapple wedge optional
    • Garnish: hibiscus flower in syrup optional

Hibiscus Syrup

• 2 hibiscus teabags
    • 1 cup boiling water
    • 1 cup sugar

Instructions

• Add all ingredients except garnish to a cocktail shaker. Shake over ice until well-chilled. Strain into a highball or Tiki mug filled with crushed ice. Garnish with a bouquet of fresh mint, pineapple wedge, and hibiscus flower in syrup, as desired. Serve with a straw.

Hibiscus Syrup

• Steep hibiscus teabags in 1 cup of boiling water for 5 minutes. Pour into a small saucepan with sugar. Simmer over medium heat for a few minutes until sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature and strain into an airtight container. Syrup will keep in your fridge for 2-3 weeks.

From <>

https://tasteandtipple.ca/escape-artist-cocktail/#EscapeArtist

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Afternoon, Loungettes! First day of the hot stretch today! Went and saw my doctor for pre-op for next week! Staying cool inside my house during this heat wave. Laundry got done yesterday, so no outside activity for me!

• karen1956
    Options

It's brutally hot here in Denver - 96F! Thankfully we don't have the humidity like back east. At least tomorrow it will only be in the high 70s.

I walked early this morning with a gf and since then I've been in the house all day. I've been cleaning out my son's old bedroom and the closet. Still lots more to go through in the closet. We had World Book Yearbook encyclopedia from 1962 to 1973 that I'm finally taking to Goodwill. We've been in this house for over 30 years and they've been on a shelf in my son's closet since we've moved in. Hopefully someone can put them to good use. Next is to give away all his college text books and throw out notebooks from high school and college. Threw out the broken computer desk that had been sitting in his room. He left at least a dozen empty shoe boxes on the closet shelves!! Gotta love that kid! Well, he's not a kid, but he's my kid. Lots' more to do, but that will be for another day.

DH and I just went for a walk and we melted. Will wait till the sun goes down to walk this evening.

Hope everyone is out of harms way with the heat and rain.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 888
    Options

Polished off a delicious bottle of Spanish wine my brother brought to dinner the other night. Dh joked " I hope you're not looking for lots of conversation tonight."

NM I hope that knee feels better soon.

Mommy glad you are getting a break albeit a hot one after all your studies.

Carole do you and DH still have your afternoon cocktail 🍸 in MN. I seem to remember you had a tradition of that.

Sandy I am feeling for you with the constant upheaval you have had.

Hello to anyone I missed.

Also still looking for Lori's posts...

• minustwo
    Options

NM - you said exactly what I think every time I log on. Looking for Lori's posts and missing her.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,947
    Options
  • m0mmyof3
    Options

Morning all! Well I submitted all the classwork for this week and next week. Enough people posted up their original posts after I did mine so I was able to the final bit of work needed for my English class. I am down to three response posts in my Lit class and I will be officially done!

Anywho, the heat wave has begun here so I am gonna hide in my house and stay cool.

• carolehalston
    Options

Jazzygirl, what a gorgeous photo!

Reader, dh and I have a cocktail tradition wherever we are, home in LA or summer home in MN. We favor martinis, vodka for me and gin for him, in warm weather and bourbon old fashioneds in cold weather. We also drink wine, mostly white.

All the articles about alcohol consumption these days seem to emphasize the harmful effects.

I, too, am having denial issues with Goldie's absence. I never met her in person yet have such a strong impression of her personality. She had the admirable ability to focus on other people when she had every right to focus on herself. We miss you, Goldie. 💛

• ked425
    ked425 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I am a long time stage 4 breast cancer survivor. While I was going thru treatments I was drinking even though I know it was a bad decision. I have spoken to many long time stage 4 survivors.

They had some things in common.

They gave up sugar, flour, caffeine, alcohol, gum, mints, and all processed food. I saved my live by doing this.

Never felt healthier in my whole life.

I did not do it alone. I did it with free help from people that know how to break addiction. I am living a life beyond my wildest dreams.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Evening all!

Day 2 of this miserable heat have in the books

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,323
    Options

Ked, good for you if you found alcohol to be addicting and were able to eliminate it. Many here enjoy it because it is, through the ages, a communal drink and relaxes people. Not everyone uses it to excess. I do agree that alcohol has negative effects but…it also has some positive attributes. Driving, flying and…well, living are all dangerous. We limit what we can, where we can.

I miss Goldie so much. I wish she could contact us, somehow.

Stay cool and safe for all those in the swelter.

Jazzy, that is a beautiful cactus. If the southwest weren't so darn hot, I would happily live there. I love the landscape, people and food!

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Morning all!

Got my grade on my big paper for my Lit class. I got full points for it.

• karen1956
    Options

I too miss Lori (Goldie) immensely - it makes it hard to come and post. I knew Lori since we be both joined bco - even though we never had the good fortune to meet in person, we considered each other good friends. Lori was a ray of sunshine and lived life to the fullest, never complaining. At long last, Lori is with her dear Darryl and at peace.

The plus of bco is the information it provides, the support and friendships we make, yet the downside is when we loose "friends". I've been lucky to meet several bco sisters in person, and they have enriched my life, but sadly some of these friends are no longer here.

Ked - I'm glad that you found what works well for you and keeps you feeling healthy. I eat healthy, but I do enjoy sweets and an occasional drink. I eat almost no processed food as I bake from scratch and enjoy cooking. We don't eat fast foods, frozen meals and rarely eat out. Wishing all of us a long healthy life.

A break from the heat yesterday and today and then the 90s are back through early July!!! My daughter texted me that they are leaving a furnace next week and coming to a furnace here when they visit!! I ordered a small wading pool for my granddaughter.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,947
    Options

We have bad fires here

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Holy Cow! Stay safe!

• minustwo
    Options

Jazzy - truly scary. Hope you are OK

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 410
    edited June 19
    Options

Stay safe @jazzygirl. Keep an eye out for floating embers. @m0mmyof3 the results are too good.

• chisandy
    edited June 20
    Options

I have had a little wine every night since moving downtown to the Homewood Suites, largely because of the many excellent restaurants within walking distance—all of which have outstanding by-the-glass lists. Especially trad-method sparklers like cremant d'Alsace & Loire, cava, brut spumante (from the Trentino/Alto Adige region). That has slammed the brakes on my weight loss (of which I'm not sure, because this hotel's fitness center lacks a scale and I'm not about to buy one to have to haul to the new place on Sun. & Mon.). At the HE Exp in Niles, most of the restaurants had boring generic house wines. Feh.

Must confess that I, too, have been scrolling down looking for Lori's posts. :(

I bit the bullet and began taking ibuprofen (as well as keeping up my blood levels of acetaminophen to stay ahead of the pain). Makes a world of difference, and (knock wood) no GERD. Funny how I advise my BCO sisters recovering from ortho surgery to stay ahead of the pain (easier to maintain a steady-state 3 out of 10 than to bring a 6 down to a 3), yet I'd failed to take my own advice.

Jazzy, how terrifying! Living in wildfire country during these extreme conditions must be such a helpless feeling. Stay safe!

• chisandy
    Options

At the Purple Pig tonight, a sparkling Vouvray.

• karen1956
    Options

Jazzy - stay safe.