Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

how about drinking?

Comments

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,716

This is the color I chose for the border of my niece’s blanket.

Got outsmarted by my Nugget today. Hubby and bought him a puzzle toy that you can load treats or kibble into it and he has to uncover where the food is. Within two minutes of me putting it down after hiding the kibble bits in it, he had found all the pieces! The little stinker!

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 561

Good morning, all. Bloods taken today so will wait until Tuesday to see results. Even onc is interested to see these ones - she ordered them for a week early and appointment is a week early. She is obviously chasing a theory about recent numbers bouncing up and then dropping by more than expected amount.

@nativemainer, mmm tequila, oh yeah. Fond memories of tequila. A bottle on my drinks trolley is waiting for me when I can finally drink again. Tequila with fresh lime. Simple and so refreshing.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,283

Interesting info about Costco liquor. I bought some of the Irish County Cream today. Delicious.

Two versions of Kirkland Irish Cream

Kirkland Signature Irish Cream Liqueur is a product of Ireland. It includes the traditional blend of cream, sugar, and the essential ingredient, Irish whiskey, giving it the authentic taste we expect from Irish cream liqueur. Its alcohol volume (ABV) is 17%, just like Bailey's, and it will add the same creamy sweetness to your next cup of Irish coffee. On the other hand, Kirkland Signature Irish Country Cream has an ABV of only 13.9%. The latter's ingredients include dessert wine instead of Irish whiskey, which combines with dairy cream for a made-in-the-U.S.A. product that is sweet, creamy, and rich, perfect for enhancing your next mudslide cocktail.

The reason behind Costco creating two similarly-named products has to do with state liquor sales laws. Depending on where you live in the country, you will likely only be able to find one version at your local Costco. Some states, like California, Hawaii, and Delaware, sell wine, beer, and hard liquor, including the whiskey-based Irish cream liqueur. (You don't even need a membership to buy booze there, either!) Others, like the big box warehouse locations in Virginia, Montana, and Idaho, (…and Texas…) are only allowed to sell wine, beer, and other alcoholic products with an ABV of less than 14%-16%, making the whiskey-free, wine-based Irish Country Cream the selection of choice, and only option, in these states.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

Good Morning, Loungettes!  Happy Saturday! The puppers and I have been enjoying some lovely lazy fall days. I had forgotten how wonderful the weather is this time of year. Warm enough during the day to do stuff outside, cool enough at night to sleep well. Lots of sunshine. Of course, the first overnight frost warning went out for the northern part of the state the other evening, so this won't last and colder weather is coming. Still, going to enjoy this while we have it.  

MOmmy—beautiful border color yarn! That will pull all the colots together so nicely. Sounds like Nugget is quite the bright doggo! You are going to have to work hard to stay ahead of him!  

Mallee—prayers for more stable blood work results, or an answer to the puzzle.  

Minus—fascinating info about the two versions of Kirland Irish Cream. I've never noticed Irish Country Cream, but then I don't shop at Costco. One has fairly recently opened, I probably should go check it out and see how it compare to Sam's Club, which is the only other big box store in the area. The differences between state laws for things like this seem awfully random, but I bet there is a logical reason for each variant.   

Irish Cream and Vodka Martini 

Ingredients 

ice cubes 

• 3 ounces of Irish cream liquor like Bailey's 
    • 1 ounce of vodka 
    • 1/2 ounce of cream 
    • Garnish of choice 

Garnish suggestions 

• Shaved chocolate white or dark chocolate 
    • Chocolate sugar rim 
    • Chocolate covered wafer cookies 
    • Whipped cream 
    • Maraschino cherry 
    • Malted milk balls 
    • Chocolate syrup 

Instructions 

1. Using a cocktail shaker, add ice, Irish Creme, vodka and cream. 
    2. Place cap on the shaker and shake well. 
    3. Carefully pour into sugared rimmed glass and add any additional garnishes you desire. 

• m0mmyof3

Yeah, he’s too smart! He has figured out out to get onto the back of my recliner and look out the window when we leave to go somewhere! Almost done with the body of the blanket for my niece. thinking of crocheting a few coasters out of my scrap yarn balls.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,969

Working on my late summer garden uplift

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,393

Minus, our costco sells hard liquor but only the wine based irish cream. I suspect because of the 30% (combined) booze taxes.

Karen, I'm curious to hear what your onco says about your calcium. DH was admitted to the hospital overnight for his high calcium a few months ago.

• m0mmyof3

Nice Jazzy!

• nativemainer

Good Morning, Loungettes!  Happy Monday Monkey Day!  It was so nice to wake up this ayem at 5:30, see it was still dark out and the puppers were still asleep, and be able to cuddle in and go back to sleep until the sun came up an hour later. This time of year has always been a bit hard for me due to the beginning of getting up in the dark, and to think that I don't have to do that anymore is so nice! It's amazing the small things that make being retired feel so good.  

MOmmy---our pets seem to find ways to get whatever they want, don't they? I bet the coasters will be very pretty.  

Jazzy—so pretty!   

Wallly—taxes on alcohol and nicotine products are getting pretty high, aren't they?  

The Tax Evasion Cocktail: 

Ingredients: 

• 2 oz. rye whiskey 
    • 1 oz. dry vermouth (Dolin is good here) 
    • 1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice 
    • 1/2 oz. sour cherry syrup (d’arbo) 
    • Dash of Peychaud’s bitters 
    • Lemon twist, for garnish 

Assemble: 

1. Combine all the liquid ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake until well-chilled and strain into a chilled cocktail glass, flute or coupé. (You can also serve on the rocks, if you like). Garnish with a lemon twist. Serve.  

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,104

I'm amazed at all the different cocktails. Given the opportunity, I would love to try some of them. I'm too lazy and cheap to go to the trouble of making them. LOL.

DH and I had our martinis yesterday afternoon, mine vodka and his gin. Then we drove the golf cart to Clancy's restaurant, a mile from our campsite on a dirt street and then a paved street. No other cars passed us either way. There I had a glass of chardonnay and dh had a bloody mary while we waited for our food to be served. One thing we will miss in Louisiana is having a restaurant option only a mile away and accessible by golf cart.

Clancy's is positioned on our lake, Island Lake. You can look across the lake from the restaurant's deck and see Pinehollow Resort's dock. Some of our seasonal renters with boats go to Clancy's by water and tie up at Clancy's dock. We no longer have a boat so have to take a land route.

Enough chit chat. Happy Tuesday to everyone.

• m0mmyof3
    edited September 17

Down to the border on the blanket for my niece. Gonna work on it tonight, been busy the last couple of days.

Today I am celebrating the 4 year anniversary of Nugget’s “Gotcha Day”.

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 581

Hello! It has been a while since I posted. Just have been busy or too tired when there is time. I have just read through a few posts. Karen, what an amazing trip you had and it looks like your foot is healing nicely. Jazzy, your trip to NYC was great, I need to plan a trip like that, I haven't been to NYC since I was a child. You take the best pictures. NM, Your trip with your cousin is going to be such a fantastic experience. I have never traveled overseas before either. Sandy, glad you are well and it is such an ordeal dealing with insurance things. Mommy, congrats on your diploma and your trip to NYC is so great and such an inspiration to others. Sunshine, I feel the same way about being in crowds. I am a little anxious, because I am invited to a brunch with ladies I use to work with. The host said she invited over 30 people. Thats a lot for a brunch. One of the girls said we could ride together, but that makes it hard if I want to sneak out early.

My mom was in the hospital for about a week and then signed herself out. She had an UTI on top of her constant diarrhea. She was nuttier than usual. She is doing much better now, still not up to par, but better. My granddaughter (Shelby) is going to school in Orlando and I told her I would come and take her to dinner or to the grocery store, she said the grocery store would be great and she was getting skinny. She is going to text me the address and if Thursday would be good for her. My granddaughter (Savannah) is still working in Yellowstone Nat'l Park, she will be finished with that at the end this month. My daughter (Amanda) will be flying out and staying a week and come back with her. I will have the younger one (Raelyn) for that week, she started middle school this year and has changed so much, she spends a lot of time on her hair and clothes this year. I will be sleeping over at her house for a while, it may be really good because my daughter just got a new bed. I turn 65 in November; I wasn't sure what Medicare plans to get, everything is very confusing. I ended up doing the Medigov plan G, It sounds like it was easier to change to something else later if I wanted to. I am not good at decision making, but sometime it helps that I am pretty good at finding a way to put off the decision for a while.

Hello to everyone I missed. I still miss reading posts from Cammi and Goldie.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,604
    edited September 19

Misty, sorry to hear about your mother. Sounds like you had a good time with your granddaughters.M0mmy, the blanket is going to be beautiful. Be sure to post a finished picture.

My foot appears to be healing nicely but if I’m on it too long it swells. So I’m still spending a lot of time with it up. It’s almost looking pretty and normal

This weekend I had a rash over parts of my back and private parts. It was so very itch I was going crazy. Went to PCP and she told me to take Claritin, Pepcid AC and Rx a strong steroid cream. Slowly it is healing, especially the upper back. I need to use everything for 2 weeks.
    I’m applying to participate in a clinical trial for stage 3 CKD. Going over my history with the NP she asked what the cause of my CKD and I said they never found out. She told me it’s all the treatment for BC. My MO and Nephrologist says no! Told my DH and he goes, I knew it! He's been saying it all along.
    Saw eye doctor this morning for annual exam and being referred to ophthalmologist due “narrow angles”. The ophthalmologist office called and we got disconnected and I keep getting voice mail. So frustrating. Some how I’m talking to her then all of a sudden someone is face timing me. Ugh! I keep trying to get through. Finally reached the ophthalmologist office to finish scheduling. I’m going at 7:30 am on Monday 09/23. At least I got an appointment before I go back to work on October 1st. DH said he doesn't want me to go to any more doctors and they seem to always find something!!! He goes, before BC you were healthy and had no health problems and since BC I have so many things that keep showing up.
    October 3 an4 is Rosh Hashannah. Yom Kippur is Saturday October 12. Two more holidays later in the month - October 17 and 18 and then October 24, 25. Busy month of holidays. I started baking today for RH as I can’t do the amount I normally would do, so I need to do a little everyday. Today I made a honey cake and my grandmother’s nut cake recipe. Tomorrow I’ll make potato kugel. I have a tentative menu with everything I need to cook this week and next.
    DD#2 arrives on the 24th late and leaves early, early on October 28. DD#1 and granddaughter are here October 16 to October 28. DD#2 hasn’t seen her niece for a year other than pictures and face time. I finally made the Snapfish book of my granddaughter’s first year. I haven’t told her mom so it will be a surprise when she arrives.
    I’ve gone on long enough. Thanks for listening.

• m0mmyof3
    edited September 19

Caught a picture of the plane as I was on my way home from visiting my aunt. Hubby and I had to do a double take at first and started laughing about this. Called my aunt and she was laughing too.

• carolehalston

Hope everyone was ok with the plane landing incident. An unusual sight, for sure.

• nativemainer

Good Morning, Loungettes!  Happy TGIF day! Does anyone else have trouble signing into BCO from time to time? Every once in a while I get an error message about not recognizing my log in name and/or password, despite putting it in correctly. Usually when that happens I can use a different bookmark or type the address in directly and it will go through, but this week none of those tricks worked until this ayem. I'm wondering if the problem is on my end or the BCO end. Anyway, I finally got back on, so no big deal.  

I took Mom out to run some errands Tuesday. The first place we went was for lunch. She was telling me it was a deli at a cooking store, turns it out was a lobster pound BEHIND the cooking store. Also turns out it was on fall hours and didn't open until 5 pm! So we ended up eating at the deli in the cooking store, and I got to treat myself to a couple packages of coffee beans that really like. This time of year lots of restaurants and stores change their hours, so that was no real big surprise.  Next stop was at the medical supply shop where she got her walker to get one of the brakes looked at. She couldn't reember the name of it but she could remember how to get there, which was good. Except that the business was closed, as in out of business! Looks like it's been closed for some time. Now she's hoping that sometime when a man is around she can get him to look at it. She doesn't want me to look at it because she doesn’t "want to be a bother" so I 'll have to sneak a look at it sometime. I think I know what the problem is, and it's just a matter of tightening up a piece, but I'm not a man and this is "something a man would know about." Gotta love the mother's stereotyping! The she went grocery shopping, which gave me a nice little while to sit in the car reading a new book. I'm glad she doesn't need me to go in with her yet, I hate walking around Wal-Marts. Got her home and got her stuff unloaded, opened a couple of jars she couldn't get open and tootled on home to the puppers who were not happy with being left home alone. I really got the cold shoulder during the evening, then they both decided they needed to be lap dogs for a while. Having both of them on me in the recliner is quite the experience, but they finally figured out a way to arrange themselves so I could still breathe.  Yesterday afternoon I got a call from Mom's neighbor, she couldn't find her phone and she wanted me to check and see if it was in my car. We had talked on the phone Wednesday, and I hadn't left home Wed or Thursday, so I knew it wasn't in my car. The neighbor had rung Mom's phone but they didn't hear it ringing anywhere. So I drove over and started looking for using the search pattern I've developed based on where I've found her phone in the past, like in the pockets of her apron, bathrobe, or clothes she was wearing yesterday, no luck. I asked her what she did during the day to try to figure out what part of the apartment she'd spent time in, she often leaves the phone near where she's working on something, and she went into the bedroom and started rummaging around in a dresser drawer, and low and behold, she found it! Buried in the bottom of the drawer with clothes on top so we couldn't hear it ringing. Crisis averted.  Mom does keep life interesting!  

Carole—I can't imagine living so close to a restaurant like that, it must be marvelously convenient! I bet it was fun when you were taking a boat across instead of the land route.  

MOmmy—Happy Gotcha Day to you and Nugget!  I bet the blanket is working up beautifully.  

Misty—thanks, I am really looking forward to this trip. I hope you enjoy the brunch. I hear you about not wanting to ride with someone else, having the ability to leave when you want can make it easier to stay a little longer. Sorry to hear about your Mom, UTIs can do really strange things to some people's mental status. I bet your in school granddaughter will really appreciate a trip to the grocery store. The middle school granddaughter must be eager to have you staying over for a while. Transitioning to middle school is a big change for most kids.  Medicare can be confusing. There are usually agencies and people who will help you sort it all out, usually at no cost. In Maine we have local Area on Aging offices that do a lot of education and support for elders, I bet your state has something similar. Just be cautious about going to someone who is and insurance broker, they may not be as impartial as non-brokers. One of the good things about Medicare is the opportunity to change plans every year, so getting into a plan that isn't the best fit isn't forever.  

Karen—Wow. Your foot looks really good! I imagine it's still uncomfortable, especially after you've been up on it for a while. That rash sounds like a reaction to something. I'm glad It's getting better. Uncontrolled itching is not fun. It's not unusual for MOs to deny that treatment is the cause of kidney failure, lung and heart damage, and a host of other things that are known after effects of treatment. It's a carryover from the days when the long term effect of cancer treatments were pretty much ignored because so few peopled lived long enough to experience them. Chemotherapy drugs and radiation are known causes of cancer. The oncology field is only recently really paying attention to the long term effect of cancer treatment, not only in terms of second primary cancers but therapy-related myelodysplastic syndrome and lung, kidney, heart, liver, nervous system damage. October really is a busy month of celebrations for you! You must really be looking forward to seeing the DDs and granddaughter. The book of GD's first year will be a big hit, I'm sure!  

MOmmy—not the usual thing seen behind a tow truck! I hope no one was hurt.   

Rosé, Gin & Pink Peppercorn Pitcher Cocktail 

INGREDIENTS 

24 ounces rosé wine  

12 ounces gin  

24 ounces white grape juice 

3 ounces cranberry liqueur  

3 ounces pink peppercorn syrup 

12 ounces chilled tonic, to taste  

Ice 

Cranberries, for garnish (sugar them, if you have the time) 

Cranberry and rosemary ice cubes, for garnish 

Directions 

When you're ready to serve the cocktail, fill your pitcher or punch bowl with ice, and add the chilled cocktail mixture. Quickly top with the tonic water, taste for balance, and give the mixture a gentle stir. Prep individual cocktail glasses with cranberry and rosemary ice cubes; add the finished rosé, gin, and pink peppercorn cocktail; and garnish with cranberry skewers. 

• m0mmyof3
    edited September 20

No one got hurt with the plane incident. Just an unusual sight, even my aunt got a laugh out of it when we told her about it. The blanket part is done and the border is almost done. Thinking about making some coasters and hot pads next. This was the color I finally settled on to go around my niece’s blanket. It’s called Day Dreamery from Hobby Lobby.

• carolehalston

Mommyof3, you're giving me the itch to get out my crocheting supplies.

It's in the 40's this morning and sunny outside. The heat pump has warmed up the camper and made it cozy. The temperature will get up near 70 later on.

Happy Sunday.

• m0mmyof3

My niece loved her blanket.

Going to have a Frost Advisory late tonight into tomorrow morning.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,969

Happy Autumn 🍁

• mistyeyes

Love the Charlie Brown and snoopy picture! Fall is the season I miss so much in Florida. It feels like you only get 2 weeks of autumn and its back to hot or it gets cold. Autumn was always my favorite season.

• m0mmyof3

Very chilly here this morning! Hope to have the curtains in the kitchen up by the weekend.

• karen1956

It's 49 this morning at 5:30am but the high will be 79 and mostly sunny, so can't complain. It's going to be nice most of the week.

I have the ophthamologist appointment this morning for the "narrow angles" - part of me thinks it will be nothing and part of me is worried - but the two treatments I've read are cataract surgery or making a "hole/slit" to let things drain. It's a 2 1/2 hour appointment. DH is coming with me. The other day, he said e doesn't want me going to the doctor anymore as there is always something - well me too!

I've been cooking for Rosh Hashanna as with my foot in the boot I can't do as much as normal - I made an apple cake yesterday - it looks really pretty but I think it's still a little raw. Still more cooking to do - will do a little every day. I need to have it done before I go back to work on the 1st as RH starts on the night October 2.

DD#2 arrives tomorrow night for a month :) IT hasn't been all that long since we saw her as we only got back 6 weeks ago, but happy to have her her. DD#1 and gd arrive in 2 1/2 weeks. They haven't seen each other in a year!

Did something to my lower back - was sore yesterday morning and night and is sore again this morning. How do you hurt your back sleeping!!!

m0mmy - you are making good progress on the rental making it feel like home. The colors on the blanket for your niece is so pretty - of course she loved it!.

Carole - we have similar weather. The camp ground must be emptying out.

Kim - your mother keeps you on your toes. Regarding the connection between CKD and BC - my nephrologist also said my CDK wasn't from the chemo. I'm going to have to do more research on it. But my DH is convinced that so many of my health concerns are from BC and Tx. I had no health concerns prior to breast cancer and now the list keeps growing.

I've left many out, but I need to jump in the shower as we need to leave in an hour for the ophthamologist.

Have a great day.

• mistyeyes

Getting ready for the hurricane again. You never know where it is going to hit, but the storm surge is expected to be 10-15' above sea level, which our towns on the gulf coast will be flooded. I think every state has its thing. Hurricanes are very devastating, but we do see them coming and can prepare. If you see it on your news, I live in Citrus County, but not on the water.

I will be hunkering down with my mom and the middle schooler I have this week. My dd said she didn't take her because she would miss so much school, now schools are 1/2 day tomorrow and closed Thurs and Fri. They are used as shelters for the people on the water.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,283

Hope you stay safe MistyEyes. And everyone else in Florida. Living in Houston, we really understand.

• m0mmyof3

Praying for a friend who is in the path of Helene.

Decorating for Halloween. So far I have a good start on the outside.

• carolehalston

Living in south Louisiana, I am well acquainted with hurricanes, too. Hope you stay safe, Mistyeyes.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,279

hi, Mistyeyes. I have 3 friends coming to stay at my house. They are in Crystal River zone A. Good to see you. I don't pop in too often.

• m0mmyof3

My friend in Helene’s path is in Port St. Joe

Went to my property where my future house will be today and saw bear prints in the soil…. Mama and a cub or two. Probably fattening up for the coming Winter

• karen1956
    edited September 26

I started PT today. The PT is part of my surgeon's practice, so she checked with him before my appt to see if I can start going without the boot. My foot is still pretty swollen and last night I couldn't get my running shoes on. So for now I'm wearing one of those lovely post surgical shoes. I walked twice today for 10 minutes in it and there is not enough support and my foot is sore. I'm going to try again tomorrow to see if I can get my running shoe on. The PT said for longer walks to wear the boot or if my foot hurts. She gave me lots of exercises to do. I have PT twice/week for 1 - 2 months. Scheduled through October. I'm sure the new school I'm covering will be thrilled with me leaving early so many times, plus all my holidays, but oh well, that's life.

Sorry the photo is so large.

I hope everyone who is being impacted by the storm stays safe and doesn't suffer any damage to their homes and property.