Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

how about drinking?

Comments

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,716

Yeah, hoping to get to the storage bin and bringing some more stuff up to make this feel more like home for now

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 561

@miriandra, congratulations - I hope it goes excellently for you.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 931

Congratulations Miriandra! What a wonderful achievement! 👏

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,393

Miranda, that is amazing. Kudos!!!!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

Good Morning, Loungettes!  Happy Saturday! I started a post on Thursday and got sidetracked by something I can't even remember today. Started yesterday and got side tracked by a call from Mom's doctor's office saying they wanted to see her. She's been having heart rate and blood pressure issues since starting a new medication a few weeks ago, so I took her in for her appointment. While the provider was trying to figure out exactly what mom has been taking for meds Mom pipes up and says she stopped taking the new bed after her episode on Monday, and said she had only take the new medication one time, but I had put the medication in her pill box for 3 weeks, so now we are on a week of no new meds for sure, daily blood pressure and heart rate checks, and repeat appointment next week. We never could sort out if she has been taking the pills or if she has been taking them out, or if she has been skipping pills which one(s) she has skipped because they are almost all little white pills. If only she would remember to tell me when she changes her pills like that. . .  

MOmmy—it sounds like you are getting settled into the rental place. I hope you don't end up with too much cookware!  

Carole—this trip leaves late April, Amsterdam for a few days, then a cruise of the fjords around Norway for 7 nights. Laura wants to see the tulips (as do I) and we both loved the Alaskan Fjords cruise earlier this year. I hope the pizza was good!  

MOmmy—cable and internet is progress!  Good for you!  

Reader—I've never been particularly interested in seeing Paris, but have wondered about riverboat cruising. Can't wait to hear your experience! 

Miriandra—WOW!!! What an honor for you! How exciting! Congratulations!  

Morning, Mallee!  

Hi, Wally!  

Catwalk and Pearls 

Source: Casimir & Co (1022a Lexington Ave, 212-879-6190) 

Catwalk and Pearls 

1 oz. Gin 

1/2 oz. Cherry Heering 

1/2 oz. Benedictine 

1/4 oz. Grenadine 

3/4 oz. Lime Juice 

1dash Bitters 

Instructions 

Mix Gin and Cherry Heering in a shaker. Combine all other ingredients into a shaker over ice and mix well. Pour into an old fashioned glass, topped with pearls (or champagne). 

• m0mmyof3

cable and internet in place. Went down to storage and brought up more essentials including my good cookware and a clothes drying rack that was there. It’ll save some money on the electric bill.

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 561

Hi @nativemainer, I hope all is well. I can't say enough how I take a vicarious pleasure in seeing all the dots, even if I can't face alcohol, I can still imagine what they taste like. Hope all have a good day today.

• m0mmyof3

Saw my niece today who I hadn’t seen in 5 years and took her shopping for school. Forgot what a goofball she could be!

• nativemainer

Good Morning, Loungettes!  Happy Monday Monkey Day! Waking up to rain and gloom this ayem, the puppers have had their first go out and breakfast and have gone back to sleep. Stereo snoring going on! Plans for today include taking Mom to her eye doctor's appointment this afternoon. Hard to beleive that August is getting close to over and Labor Day coming up so fast.  

MOmmy—clothes drying racks are great, not only for saving electricity but for adding needed humidity to the air in the winter. Having your good cookware will make the rental feel more like home for you.  

Mallee—I think there is a lot more vicarious drinking going on than real drinking here, but that's part of the fun. Glad to be able to brighten your days a little!  

MOmmy—I bet that was one fun shopping trip! How old is your niece now?  

Ingredients 

• 2 ounces Titos vodka 
    • 1/2 oz Malibu Coconut Rum 
    • 1/2 oz apple juice 
    • Splash of Grenadine 
    • apple slice for garnish 

Instructions 

1. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice. 
    2. Pour in the vodka, coconut rum, and apple juice. Add a splash of Grenadine. 
    3. Shake well and strain into a martinis glass. 
    4. Garnish with an apple slice. 

• m0mmyof3

She just turned 12

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,604

I had my pre-op with the podiatrist is afternoon and he went over the procedure again. For the bunion, he will shave it, then break it, then move it back into place and put in hardware. For the hammer toe, he will take out the tendon, fuse it and put in screws. IV sedation. The procedure is about 60 - 70 minutes. He wrote me an Rx for pain meds and i told him that I really don't like narcotics/pain meds and he said that I'll want them for the first few days!! The boot goes all way to my knee - must wear it for a month. He gave me a small surgical shoe to wear if/when I drive, but not to walk in it. I see him weekly for 2-3 weeks. At week 2 stitches come out and 4 and week 6 xays and possibly PT, depending on how recovery goes.

I'm so glad that i'm taking September off as I do a fair amount of walking in the school and I don't want to walk in the tall boot. The one when I had the stress fracture was much shorter and easier to walk in.

I didn't think I was stressed when I left, but when I went to pick up the tramadol I bought so much junk and have been eating it tonight At least , I have a busy week at work to keep my mind off everything.

Kim - good luck with eye doctor with your mom.

M0mmy - sounds le a fun time with your niece.

Sweet dreams

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,104

Karen, good luck with the surgery and recovery.

• nativemainer

Good Morning, Loungettes!  Happy Twofer Tuesday! Mom's eye doc appointment went well. She was afraid she would be told to stop driving, the doc said nothing has really changed in the last year and didn't day anything about not driving, so she's pleased with that. She had me stop at another doctor's office so she could see if she could track down the maintainance guy who also does stuff for her on weekends and whose phone number she lost, I dropped her off at the front door, waiting in the parking lot for her to call that she was done, went to pick her up, she's not there. I called back, I'm right outside the door, come on out, she says she's standing outside and I'm no where around. It takes almost 3 minutes of back and forth before she thinks to tell me she's at a different door, around the back of the building. When I asked why she didn't say she was at a different door, she said she thought I would see her and know. Um, Mom, did you not notice the big 3 story building between you and me?  I don't have x-ray vision! I think I mentioned that Mom and I traded purses recently, as her had too many pockets and she couldn't find things in it. Well, today we traded back, my purse doesn't have enough pockets and she can't find things in it and one of the outside pockets doesn't have a zipper so she keeps losing things out of it. Gotta love the Momma!  

MOmmy—12 is a great age!  

Karen—I hope the doc is going to use a local pain block in addition to the IV sedation! All that work on the bones is not going to feel good. I wonder why the boot has to go so high? Maybe a knee scooter would be helpful for a while?  

Morning, Carole! 

Pussy Foot Cocktail 

1 cl of grenadine syrup 
    4 cl of Pineapple Juice 
    4 cl of Orange Juice 
    4 cl of grapefruit juice 

Shake or blend briefly, and strain into a highball glass. Garnish with fresh fruit and a cherry. Add a straw, and serve. 

• reader425

A recent interesting drink called White Tiger from an Asian style restaurant. The base is unfiltered sake with rosewater essence and a few other things. Mild and I told them to lighten up the sugar.

Karen best wishes on the surgery. My feet have many issues that I have not yet determined how to handle.

NM love the mom!!

Hello to everyone else, lurking or whom I've forgotten.

• karen1956

Kim - yes, he is going to "numb" my foot (his words).

• m0mmyof3

I had a blast with her.

The rental is starting to take shape. We’ve got some of our furniture here at last, just to get it organized.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited August 29

Fear not—I haven't fallen off the edge of the earth, nor had any major health crises. Just a lot of housework, minor medical/self-care appointments, routine shopping, dealing with insurance (a very slooowww adjuster), driving between houses, and above all cat-parenting. I apologize for not having the time to go online, lest I spend hours and hours and never come up for air. Staying up late and getting up early (thanks, kitties) as it is.

Drinking less, except when dining out. Been bringing back bottles from our house to this one (set up wine racks in rec room—the owner is Muslim and provided little in the way of potent-potables gear).

Will check in later as time & energy permits. Getting more de facto exercise (1950s split-level houses will do that) and flexibility-training than before the fire (and when I still had a housekeeper). So I've been able to maintain my goal weight.

Last alcohol I had was rose Prosecco at Regalia Friday night. But I've been serious about coffee, at least as serious as I can get without my real espresso rig. The blade grinder I bought was a disaster, so it's relegated to spice-grinding duty; got a decent but not luxurious burr grinder which has served me well thus far for French-press, Aeropress, and pourover. Replaced my Stanley cup today after I learned why it was sweating and ice was melting so fast in it: the vacuum seal was broken when the restoration crew dropped it before putting it back up on the pass-through ledge, loosening the handle. Didn't help that I'd been leaving it in a hot car (including when starting up before the A/C kicks in) in these 105+ heat index days. The new one is working really well—will relegate the faulty one to just indoor drinking-glass duty. But will remember to take my new one with me whenever I leave the car, however cumbersome that may be.

• karen1956

Sandy - great to hear from you. Nice to hear that things are going well except for the usual insurance hassles. Keep in touch when you have time

• nativemainer

Good Morning, Loungettes!  Happy Thisty Thursday! I could have sworn I wrote and posted a note here yesterday, but I don't see it on the boards or in my computer log. Odd, but things like this keep happening to me whenever I work with Apple rather than Windows, and the laptop I'm using is an Apple.  Today's plan is to go to Mom's and help her with computer stuff and stuff around the house and then take her to her doctor's appointment.   

Reader—that White Tiger drink looks wonderful!  

Karen—glad the foot will be numbed before the work starts!  

MOmmy—glad to hear the rental is getting comfortable, that will make the waiting time easier.  

Chi—glad to hear no major health crises going on with you and yours. I was wondering if you had access to the house while it was being repaired, that makes things a bit easier, I imagine. I can see where a split level house would increase the exercise factor! It sounds like you really miss the espresso machine.  Sorry to hear the Stanley cup got damaged. Are you still getting the 105+ heat index days there? That's just incredible. I never thought about the effect of leaving a vacuum sealed mug in the car on a hot day.  

Morning, Karen!  

BANANA SPLIT MARTINI 

Ingredients 

1.5 oz. — Strawberry Vodka 

0.75 oz. — Crème de Banana⁠ 

0.75 oz. — Crème de cacao 

1 Teaspoon — Vanilla Extract 

0.5 oz. — Heavy Cream 

For Rim — Frosting 

For Rim — Sprinkles 

For Garnish — Banana 

For Garnish — Strawberry 

For Garnish — Maraschino Cherry 

Instructions 

Step 1 – Rim your martini glass with frosting and sprinkles. 

Step 2 – Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice and shake well. 

Step 3 – Pour the mixture into your glass and garnish with a maraschino cherry, banana slice, and strawberry slice.⁠ 

• carolehalston

Good to hear from you, Sandy. Check in when you can. Everyone has been concerned about you but hoping that you were just too busy to post.

• m0mmyof3

For sure Native!

• nativemainer

Good Morning, Loungettes!  Happy TGIF day! I am now officially totally disgusted with the Amreican health care system. I called about the referals for Mom's testing at the local hospital. ONe test order was in the system but had not had anything done to schedule it, and there was no note why or when it would be scheduled. First available appointment was in Dec an hour before the cardiologist appointment. No record of the other test being ordered, no way to get it done before the cardiologist appointment. "Resource limitations" was the explanation for the long waits to get things done. When Mom say the provider at her PCP office yesterday she offered to send the orders to the hospital the office is affiliated with (a different hospital system, the hospital is over an hour's drive away from Mom's place). Lo and behold, the tiny local hospital called me back this morning and Mom has appointments for the tests next Friday. Now I working on figuring out who she has seen as a cardiologist a year or so ago, pretty sure that wasn't a St. Joseph practice, and getting the cardiologist appointment made for a more reasonable time frame. Mom's heart rate is running more consistently in the 40's and if she's going to end up needing a pacemaker I'd like to see that done sooner than Feb or March, which is what it would be at St. Joe's. Since that hospital joined Covenant management things have gone downhill rapidly. The other local hospital near Mom is a much bigger one that is known for mistakes, impersonal care, high infection rate, and lack of communication with anyone outside thier system, so not a much better option.   

Colt has a new trick now. He has always been excited by moving lights, and will bark and jump at them and chase them around. In ayems the sun comes in the window by my recliner and often reflects off the phone or coffee cup or anything shiny on the stand next to me onto to the ceiling. When Colt notices, he goes nuts and even more so if I touch the stand or move anything so the reflection wiggles and jumps around on the ceiling. Well, he has figured out that when the reflection stops moving and I don’t reach over and jiggle the stand or something on it he can go behind the recliner and get close enough to the stand to nudge it or bump it and the reflection will wiggle and jiggle and he can bark and jump at it for a few more minutes! He can make an amazing amount of noise!  

Morning, Carole and MOmmy!  

Solitary Reflection 

Description: Solitary Reflection is a contemplative cocktail designed for those moments spent in quiet, introspective solitude at the bar. It combines the warmth of bourbon with the depth of amaro, enhanced by the subtle sweetness of maple syrup and the bright notes of citrus. This drink is a perfect companion for the individual who finds themselves alone with their thoughts, offering a complex flavor profile that invites you to slow down and savor each sip. 

Ingredients: -  

2 oz Bourbon -  

1/2 oz Amaro -  

1/2 oz Maple Syrup (preferably Grade A, dark for robust flavor) -  

1/4 oz Fresh Lemon Juice -  

2 dashes of Orange Bitters -  

Garnish: Orange Twist and a Luxardo Maraschino Cherry -  

Ice 

Instructions:  

1. In an Old Fashioned glass, add the bourbon, amaro, maple syrup, fresh lemon juice, and orange bitters.  

2. Fill the glass with ice cubes and stir well to combine all the ingredients while chilling the mixture.  

3. Twist an orange peel over the drink to express its oils, then drop it into the glass.  

4. Add a Luxardo Maraschino Cherry for garnish.  

5. Serve immediately, allowing the blend of flavors to serve as a silent yet profound company as you enjoy your moment of solitary reflection .

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,283

NM - I agree about the "Health Care" facilities. You are so patient with your Mom. I hope Colt doesn't learn how to bump a full cup of coffee!!! I don't remember the dates of your trip & am too lazy to look back, so please post a bon voyage note before you go.

Today's drink sounds delicious for winter. I'm probably one of the few who ended up liking Amaro and have purchased a 2nd bottle. I don't have 'bitters', but suspect I could substitute orange Curacao. Since I'm not a big fan of sweet, I'll probably try it w/o the maple syrup first.

My BFF is now hooked on Ballotin Chocolate Mocha Cream. Anybody else tasted it? Something new for me to try.

• m0mmyof3
    edited August 30

Today was a trip to the craft store about 20 minutes from where I am. Got material to make curtains for winter for a window that won’t fit any of the curtains I brought from the old house. Hubby spotted the material the last time we were there.

• reader425

Sandy good to hear from you and that all is well.

NM kudos for your perseverance for your mom. When we moved I experienced the longest wait for care I ever had and attribute the skin related flare-ups I experienced partially to that.

Mommy what fun to be settled and sewing.

Minus I have not heard of that liquor but anything with chocolate sounds good!

Tonight's DOTD was a cucumber gin and tonic with dinner. Good but I'm becoming more and more a lightweight. I foresee reverting back to wine for special occasions. But it was good 😋

• m0mmyof3

Still getting there on being settled but it feels great to get back to a semblance of normalcy

• carolehalston

Happy Sunday morning to everyone. It's "chilly" here this morning. I got up late, almost 8, and turned on the heat pump. Now it's comfortable inside the camper. Today will be a leisurely day when I do some chores that I choose to do. DH will participate in a couple of Labor Day campground activities. Nine holes of golf and the corn hole tournament.

Hope everyone enjoys the day.

• karen1956

Surgery went well on Friday. I was home by 12:30 pm. Friday and yesterday I took the tramadol along with the ibuprofen and acetaminophen. Today I’m skipping the tramadol as the pain is being managed with alternating the acetaminophen and ibuprofen every 3 hours. Still icing the foot. Got a shower this morning. We have a shower chair and I bought a “bag” to go over the bandage as it can’t get wet. It’s frustrating to not be able to walk or us my Cubii. I guess short term inconvenience is worth no long term pain. I sat outside yesterday afternoon and will sit outside this afternoon. I need the fresh air and sun light.

The boot is up to my knee!

Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend. No special plans but we want to see Reagan Maybe on Wednesday for our 47th anniversary and DH will grill steak!

• m0mmyof3

Yesterday my hubby went to buy a cart to put the new microwave on. Couldn’t find a cart so he bought a nightstand instead. I put it together all by myself. Also re-fluffed both hubby’s and my pillows.