Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

how about drinking?

Options

Comments

• 2up
    2up Member Posts: 944
    edited May 2006
    Options

consider it done.........we had kilkenny on tap at my wedding many moons ago..........next time i'm at the beer store (which is regularly).........kilkenny on me!!!!!!!

• Rosemary44
    Rosemary44 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Ahhhh, Thank you. As far as I'm concerned it's the champagne of all beers. Do you put a lemon wedge in yours?
    That's it, I gotta go to Canada, what a civilized nation, they import the best beers. We could take a lesson. :>)
  • beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Rosemary, I like the way you think! "Hops are very good for us". I never thought of that. I drink wine and beer, and I just posted this about the antioxidant benefits of red wine in a thread in the Research forum:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=23592

But I never thought about health benefits of beer. How's this?

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/12-23-2004-63330.asp

I think we should take this on.... find health benefits for all the things we like to eat and drink!
    Everything in moderation, of course!
  • 2up
    edited May 2006
    Options

"my pleasure"............if you love kilkenny, you'd completely adore "old walkerville"..........no lemon for me, but the rest of my family does the lemon wedge.......i only like lime in my corona, and only on a beach in mexico!!!!!!!!!

• pdgd
    pdgd Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2006
    Options
    You girls are the best... Phew....... xo Pam
  • Bonnygg
    Bonnygg Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Looks like it's Cocktail Hour here! My favorite time of day. Chemo & booze didn't work for me, but man, oh man, I made up for it later.

I saw this quote in another thread and it fits me to a *T*.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, chocolate in one hand and Margarita in the other, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WHEW, what a ride!"

The one time I really restrain myself is when I'm on my Harley. Two wheels & beer doesn't cut it - way to dangerous.

Since having bc, my attitude on life has taken a radical turn to the wild side. Now, when ever I get a chance, I drink champagne. This is not to say that I don't drink beer (all colors), bourbon, rum, vodka, gin, wine (all colors) and a host of other oddities.

My drinking did not give me bc. I'm sure it doesn't do my liver much good, but, I don't drink everyday (though sometimes I feel like it) and I *try* to avoid getting heavily drunk, just enough for a lite buzz is good enough these days.

So, I'm going to grab life and ride her hard.

Happy Hour is open!

bonny
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 77
    edited May 2006
    Options

I'm having another glass of wine tonight. I haven't been having wine or beer for a while but tonight I stopped off and bought a bottle of chardonnay and having glass number 2. Daughter is sleeping and mom is here, so I am comfy in my jammies sipping some wine.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited May 2006
    Options
    This thread is so great. I just woke up and Im smiling. I didnt drink wine during chemo, but its not cause I was afraid too, I lost my taste for it. But now that chemo is over, the taste is back and Im loving it.

Im laughing cause I am on vacation this week. Should I put some baileys in my coffee today lol.

Nickii
  • rondab
    rondab Member Posts: 87
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Nickii - if you're having Baileys in your morning coffee, you're tougher than I am!
    I just found this thread yesterday - you guys are a hoot! I read someplace awhile back that alcohol was worse for the positive gals than for us negatives, so although I didn't drink much during chemo, I'm still enjoying my Busch Light and an occasional marguerita. I had chemo on my birthday this year, and the chemo cocktail just didn't quite cut it, so I had a "virgin" marguerita that evening. Well, 3 of them actually. No buzz, but at least I FELT like I was celebrating! Ronda
  • 2up
    edited May 2006
    Options

lol........everytime i see the name of this thread "how about drinking?" i say to myself......."yeah, how about it!"........i had chemo on my birthday too in march.......what a drag that was!

• rondab
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Shel - Doug's b'day was 3/1, also a chemo day for me. I had lots of making up to do after I finished chemo. lol!

3 day weekend here - starting it off this evening with a few beers & a nice ribeye steak, salad & some potatoes. Big steaks - might take a couple beers to get them done! (I will mention that the steaks are from a calf we raised ourselves, so that's better for us than store bought, right?) Ronda
  • pdgd
    edited May 2006
    Options

Hi girls... heading for my daughter's graduation from U of Redlands today... get to spend the weekend with ex-husband from hell... The last question I asked my daughter on the phone last night was if she had beer and chardonney in her fridge!! lol Am I a terrible mother?! Pam

• lynn717
    lynn717 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Happy Memorial Day Weekend

We will skip our usual Friday night happy hour since there are weekend parties with burgers and brews! all three days

A toast to the beginning of another glorious summer!

• jaybird627
    jaybird627 Member Posts: 1,227
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I have to work all weekend so I'm having my wine now!

Janis L
  • rondab
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Pam - you're not a terrible mother! My daughter would have told me to be sure I had plenty of beer! Not just because of her dad, but his SO.
    Congrats to your daughter on graduating tho! My girl will graduate from Pitt State next year (after 3 years!!!!!) and will probably be shocked as he!! if her dad even shows up. And since she won't be 21 yet, I'll have to bring my own. I can handle the ex without beer (well ok, not for long) but his SO? No way! Good luck to you - I'll have another beer now. Good luck to ya! Ronda
  • ravdeb
    ravdeb Member Posts: 277
    edited May 2006
    Options
    okay..thought I'd finally see what all the ruckus is about! I'm a white wine drinker and stopped drinking during chemo, but I'm back to it and I seem to be able to drink more wine at one sitting and not really feel much but a bit of a buzz than I could before chemo. So, THANK YOU CHEMO!!!! That's the second good gift I got from it..the first are my cute little curls!

Oh, and I was hospitalized on MY birthday in an isolated room! Sure didn't have any wine to celebrate! And only the vampire came to see me :-(

Just kidding...kids came with balloons for me! They had to wear masks though!

ravdeb
  • 2up
    edited May 2006
    Options

aaahhhh deb.........you only got two gifts from chemo? lol!

• Rosemary44
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I guess I'll just have to go to Canada to enjoy an old walkerville. I'll have to look it up just in case someone is smuggling it in here.

Thanks for the tip
  • 2up
    edited May 2006
    Options

i'm coming through houston in july as a stop over.......old walkerville in my carry on ok? kilkenny in my purse!!!!!!! lol!

• Rosemary44
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I'll meet you and have bail money available. Meanwhile, while I wait, I'm thinking of calling up for a free keg delivery:

http://www.walkervillebrew.com/home.html

I should add, don't meander outside the terminal, Houston is about 2 miles from the sun during the summertime.
  • rondab
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Shel-she's not kidding about being close to the sun! We didn't get as far south as Houston last year, but were in TX during 4th of July week and it was hot! We spent a couple nights in Rye (good luck finding that on the map!) then went to McKinney Falls State Park near Austin. (We drove through a town called "Cut & Shoot" - can you believe it?) Had a wonderful time, but it was definitely warm. Thank goodness the beer was cold!
    Ronda
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Ahahaha this is a fun thread.

Rondab its sounds like your feeling good and that you are gonna have a great week-end. Enjoy.

Today its not Baileys. Im thinking about a Bloody Mary. But not at 9:45 am lol.

On my Birdthday I was 3 months post chemo and still whinin to my husband that with my luck my hair wasnt gonna grow back. Had some lovely Pinot Grigio.

Last Memorial Day I was facing surgery and chemo. This Memorial Day I'm facing having a jolly good time. Lots to be thankful for and lots to remember and never forget.

What a difference a year makes.

Nickii
  • Rosemary44
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Ronda,

It's amazing that you would bring up Cut N Shoot. That's where I met my husband. They, the men, go there to deer hunt and women went there to man hunt. I didn't know any of this at the time. I just went along for a weekend in the country. I'm innocent I tell ya, innocent. I'm a yankee how would I know there was man season in Texas?

This afternoon, I'm going to open a nice shiraz from Australia. I've been saving it but its time has come.
  • rondab
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Rosemary - That's funny - leave it to the Texans to have a "man season!"
    Where are you in Texas? 2 yrs ago we spent one evening in Canton, then went on to Madisonville. Last year it was Paris, Tyler, Rye & Austin. We may be going to Tyler again this year, not sure where else, maybe Texarkana. We go down to cook with other Lone Star Dutch Oven Society folks. Nice people! Ronda
  • sierrasusieq
    sierrasusieq Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Cheers everyone! I have to say I could not drink at all durring chemo as it tasted horrible and made my stomach worse.
    But am now back to my usual self in that department. a glass or 2 or 3 of wine most nights ! Maybe it is bad but it is one of my favorite pleasures ! I dont do real good at giving up the joys of life.
  • ravdeb
    ravdeb Member Posts: 277
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Quote:

aaahhhh deb.........you only got two gifts from chemo? lol!

No, shel. But these were the two I was drinking to.
  • 2up
    edited May 2006
    Options

cheers!!

• pdgd
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Ronda, lol! I made it through the weekend with the ex... Lots of wine, and his mother fell apart and sobbed while telling me how much she missed me! Kinda broke my heart since he left me for another 13 years ago (and has had 3 since me, all "overlapped"...) She's a sweetheart. How'd she produce such a s#%t?! Anyhow, I'm incredibly proud of my daughter. I bet you are too!! Pam
  • rondab
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Pam - glad all went well! It's nice that you still have a good relationship with your ex MIL. I do too.
    Congratulations to your daughter on her graduation. Ronda (and yes - we're pretty proud of Dani too.)
  • Rosemary44
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Hi Ronda,

I'm close to Houston, about 20 miles north. Close to the airport for anyone wanting to smuggle in the good stuff for me.

Have you been to San Antonio? Great place to visit any time but the summertime. I never did get to open the shiraz, instead we opened a cavit pinot grigio. It has a very crisp feel to it. Not bad. Not the best though. I'm still looking for that one. What do I expect from a $9 bottle of wine?

What do you make in that dutch oven? Do you have a bean recipe you want to pass on?