Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

how about drinking?

Options

Comments

• 2up
    2up Member Posts: 944
    edited June 2006
    Options
    yup, that's the link. thanks rosemary, i have no idea how to post links, but i knew i'd read it on here.

terynsmom........my onc never said anything either!
  • 2up
    edited June 2006
    Options
    btw........i have apparently offended someone because i "laughed at rosemary's post...........i'm not laughing at the actual issue, how could i? i am directly affected as a highly er+ girl...........i was simply laughing at rosemary's analogy.......i thought it was quite witty is all!
    anyhow i'll not bother you guys again on this thread, sorry for the misunderstanding! i am glad again, that rosemary posted the link.......i found it informative the first time i read it........."cheers"
  • Rosemary44
    Rosemary44 Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Shel,

HUH? This is suppose to be a fun place to travel to. I don't get it?
  • 2up
    edited June 2006
    Options

yeah i'm confused too! i like the light heartedness around here...........hopefully it continues!

• rondab
    rondab Member Posts: 87
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I don't know what the heck you guys are talking about! Does that mean I drank too much beer tonight?
    Honestly, I'd have been in tears tonight if not for my Busch Light. Granddaughters had a dance recital at 7:00 tjos evemomg/ I probably should have gone. BUT - my chest is sunburned, & anything but a very soft, old t-shirt feels like crap on my skin. To top it off, my hubby just got his staples out yesterday from his hernia surgery so he isn't getting around too well either. So - we're bad grandparents tonight I guess. We stayed home, cooked in the dutch oven, and drank beer. Tomorrow we'll probably get our a$$es chewed by my SIL, but tonight was worth it. Ronda
  • Rosemary44
    edited June 2006
    Options
    "I don't know what the heck you guys are talking about! Does that mean I drank too much beer tonight?" No, I drank nothing and couldn't figure it out till I remembered those who like to use PMing.

I liked the way that I said the joke, but Shel took the blame. That works for me. Let's blame Canada. I'll have to keep Shel around, I never know what I'm going to say next.

How did you get a sunburn on your chest?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Member Posts: 282
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I don't post very much on this thread, but I love to come and "eavesdrop"...you ladies are so light-hearted and friendly. There's so much serious discussion about bc, because it's a very serious subject. Sometimes it all gets just too serious for me -- I decided day one from my dx that anything negative was gone. It would just weigh me down. I need to be positive, around positive, find the positive. I've always been optimisitic, but it's never been more important to me than now. This thread is like a little oasis from the storm.

Thanks for the light-hearted humour, suggestions and advice (not to mention recipes!). We're all just living our lives the best way we know how at a time of crisis...just like that old tune says "whatever gets you through the night..."
  • sandya
    sandya Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2006
    Options
    My dad used to quote a persian poet--

As oft as wine has played the infidel
    and robbed me of my robe of honor, well
    I often wonder what the vintners buy
    one half so precious as the goods they sell.
  • rondab
    edited June 2006
    Options

Rosemary - the sunburn is from radiation - had #19 on Friday, still 9 to go. Don't want anybody thinking I've been sun bathing in the nude. Yikes! Ronda

• JanieMarie
    JanieMarie Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Sunday morning: Has anyone seen my bra and panties??

Janie
  • rondab
    edited June 2006
    Options

Have a good time last night did ya Janie? lol! It's afternoon here already! Ronda

• HERO2
    HERO2 Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Janie....it's me ! HERO !!

WHOA, I didn't find the thread awhile ago either - also, the whole site got a 'facelift' ... original post was last year, in about May, when I was in radiation.

One year later, in remission and loving it !

It's been awhile...I couldn't even get in as HERO....the site didn't even know who I was so, here I is:

HERO 2 !!!!!

And, do I have stories !!!! LOL ! I'm going to read thru the thread and I shall return

BOTTOM'S UP !!!

(hiccup....burp)

HERO
  • Rosemary44
    edited June 2006
    Options
    "Sunday morning: Has anyone seen my bra and panties??"

Ya, I found them...you got a lot of esplainin to do Lucy
  • Rosemary44
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Ronda,

Well after 9 more to go, we'll all be partying here for you. I was thinking about you this morning wondering about how you got that "sunburn" and I found myself buttoning my shirt up all the way. It will go fast now, over before you know it.
  • Rosemary44
    edited June 2006
    Options

I think we need to make a pact here. All of us. That this is the place to come to without problems. Just the joy of life, the tasting of a fine wine, (that only costs $8 a bottle) that first cold beer, in a frosty glass just waiting to hurt our teeth. That place, this place, this perfect respite from our other worries. No worries exist here. Just friends, just fun, just us... All of us...

• 2up
    edited June 2006
    Options

ok i'm in!!!!!!!

• pdgd
    pdgd Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2006
    Options
    How about some frozen margaritas since it's warming up outside?? Pam
  • Rosemary44
    edited June 2006
    Options

Only if you share your favorite frozen margarita recipe with us.

• hats_are_better_then_wigs
    hats_are_better_then_wigs Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2006
    Options

Post deleted by hats are better then wigs

• 2up
    edited June 2006
    Options
    we all personally came here because of breast cancer.....there are numerous threads that don't apply to me, but are important to others........kudos to you, this thread i believe is "tongue in cheek" more often than not and i think we're all just trying to have some fun!

i find some topics don't apply to me personally either so i "skip on by"............all the best to you though, i hope you'll find safety here that is paramount in this journey!
  • 2up
    edited June 2006
    Options

and by the way........i agree hats are better than wigs (for me anyhow) the wig "wigged me out, never wore it, stuck to my hats and the odd bandana!

• rondab
    edited June 2006
    Options

Frozen margueritas are good, but on the rocks takes less time to make! Ronda

• rondab
    edited June 2006
    Options

You're right Shel - I love this thread because everyone's light hearted and joking here! I also avoid certain threads. I just feel like I can say things here that if I said them elsewhere, somebody would say "you shouldn't talk like that, you have breast cancer!" I like forgetting for a minute that I have bc. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Ronda

• rondab
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Quote:

and by the way........i agree hats are better than wigs (for me anyhow) the wig "wigged me out, never wore it, stuck to my hats and the odd bandana!

Shel - I didn't like the wigs either, maybe wore mine three or 4 times. I loved my hats & scarves! Ronda
  • 2up
    edited June 2006
    Options
    i wore my ridiculously expensive wig once for literally 2 hours..........i tugged at it, pulled at it, scratched at it etc the whole time, then i whipped it off, plopped a hat on my head and never looked back!
    i'd love to give that wig to someone who would use it.......it's really pretty and "realistic" but just not me! but that is not what this thread is about so lets just say........everytime i tried to wear that damn wig it "drove me to drink" therefore i stuck with my hats!
    nothing drove me to tears more than that friggin wig........but that's "just me" lol!
  • HERO2
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Good morning, Ladies -

In reference to "hats" issue about this thread....

Last night I read thru it and it seemed way too light-hearted in view of how this thread began....(bear with me hats, and shel, and rondab...)

When I was diagnosed last year, in March...this Website saved my sanity..I went into the chat and an angel named Melissa held my hand for atleast half an hour while the shock of a Friday afternoon diagnosis swept thru me.

Then I read through some threads....and had a Sunday drink.

When I'm told my cancer is ER/PR + , I looked up every bit of information regarding this type of cancer, and I read that ALCOHOL is not good for us (for the reasons mentioned earlier in this post..

I LIKE TO DRINK, I am not a drunk, I do not take it lightly

I asked my Onc, and he shrugs it away

I asked my surgeon, and he says I can drink

I looked in here, and there was no information

Under the thread HIGH RISK WOMEN (which used to be at the bottom of the page) there was a htread about smoking...but none about drinking.

I was desperate, no information, thinking I'd be accelerating my cancer if I had a drink.... I LIKE TO DRINK ALCOHOL...

I posted...What about drinking?

And we talked, and talked, and researched, and asked our doctors, and we still, today, get the same reply....

Thus, the irony...the Salud! ...the Bottoms up!..the Hiccup/Burp...

"We all have the same 24 hours....make yours count!

HERO

WHOA !! I reread this and this is d e e p for a Monday morning !!!! LOL

Hope your day is shiny and bright!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Member Posts: 282
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Wow Hero2 (love that name!) that was quite a post. Thanks for sharing those thoughts. In some ways we feel so powerless because of breast cancer, like everything in our world is turned upside down and inside out. Control slips away -- your body has turned on you -- and we look for something to hold on to that was part of who we were before. Drinking is such a social act -- all of my friends drink...when we go out to dinner, to a bbq at someone's home, we "meet for a drink" after work...it's such a huge part of our culture. We want answers -- for those who are ER/PR + it is considered a risk but it's hard to find the "right" answer. Smoking is no different. It's bad for your health...my mother had macular degeneration which was exacerbated by her smoking. Her take on it was -- she couldn't see, she couldn't read, could no longer go to movies, had difficulty grocery shopping, enjoying life -- and what was left? She chose to at least keep smoking for whatever time she had left. Did I like it? No, of course not. But it was her life and her choice and when she died a few years later from an aortic dissection, I was glad I hadn't begrudged her living her life the way it suited her. My younger sister battled obesity and depression all her life and died much too early from a clot to her lung. I tried for years to help her and she refused help. What I learned from both of these experiences is, that no matter what, we all make the choices that affect our lives and I learned to live and let live. I didn't care less, I learned to care more.

With all of these threads, I go where I'm comfortable, go where I find comfort, support, and laughter. The things that I need or the places where I think I can offer support, information or share a joke and as I said before, I sometimes just need something light-hearted. Not all threads pertain to me and some are just a little too scary at the moment - I'm not ready to go there yet. To me that would be like poking a stick in my eye...I choose not to go where I'm going to be upset. As Ronda said, she feels comfortable to say certain things on this particular thread that might be misunderstood elsewhere.

Cancer robs us of so much...but it should never rob us of our self-esteem and our right to just be who we are -- no excuses. Because as far as I can tell, we're all of us pretty darn good.
  • HERO2
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Monday mornning sunshine to you....Thanx

I was a little wary of coming back to see a post after mine...I am glad you see it for what it is, we all have whatever reason for coming here..it's personal, very personal, very deep and necessary

I will stay here, and, when I'm ready, will post what has happened since I decided to ignore the ?warnings? and IMBIBE

lol ! word of the week...IMBIBE

HERO (Class of '05)
  • Rosemary44
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Hero,

It's true this thread started as a research thread and still we came up with no absolutes one way or the other. The Onc's have the same info as we do and we'll either find one that says no we shouldn't drink, or it's unproven, have a drink.

The latest I have found on the subject is the theory that drinkers don't eat well and that's why we get diseases. We aren't eating our antioxidant rich foods, taking folic acid, or taking the right vitamins, and thus we succumb. So some think it's the alcohol because of the life style in general that goes along with it.

For myself, I did notice that no one asked me for my healthy lentil soup recipe. Say lentils and everyone vanishes, it's almost as bad as broccoli.

To have a place to come to where people can be people, share experiences, enjoy each others company is very nice especially considering the circumstances that brought us together in the first place. So don't worry about us getting too light-hearted around here cause laughter still is the best medicine.

Sherry, well said. Brava!
  • rondab
    edited June 2006
    Options

Ok Rosemary - give over the lentil recipe! Somebody was talking about lentils on one of my cooking groups last week also, and I know beans are good for us. Do I need to get out the Bean-O for lentils? Ronda