Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

how about drinking?

Options

Comments

• 2up
    2up Member Posts: 944
    edited May 2006
    Options
    rosemary.........i'm NOT a wine drnker, but hubby dabbles.......do you guys have access to any of the "ontario ice wines"? they're supposed to be pretty good and not terribly expensive.

how much is a case of beer there anyhow? it's 35 bucks a case here.......45 bucks and up for imported!!
  • Rosemary44
    Rosemary44 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Shel,

I don't know how much a beer costs anymore. I only buy one when we are out to eat if it goes with the meal. I've decided that Kilkenny goes with any type of food, of course. I can't imagine beer costing $35 bucks here for a case. I think a can of beer here costs .75 - 1.00 each? Or am I really out of the loop?

I'll look for the Ontario wines. I'm sure we get them. They don't seem to be as finicky about what wines come into the USA, as they are about beer. Thanks
  • grubby
    grubby Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Yep I'll drink to that! I believe Miller Lite saved me and my wonderful husband through all this. Had to switch to bottles, the can left a yucky taste. Rhymee - you made me laugh - thanks I needed that this morning. Also am a smoker and fell so guilty at times for not quitting but like Debbie444 said - could get hit by a bus tomorrow. My husband has a sticker on this truck that says "Live Until You Die" good way to look at it HUH. Here's to us that love to live! Cheers
    Kath
  • newboobs4me
    newboobs4me Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2006
    Options
    susie and rhymee
    would just love to get together and party with you girls!!

and it feels good to have a place where I can speak my mind about my vices.
    my smoking didn't cause my first bout of bc and quitting didn't stop it from coming back, so when the mood strikes I enjoy myself. Besides, I like to think that I am offsetting my triple negative dx by having a little of the capt. in me! or a lot!!
    So, keep the rum pouring and the laughs coming!!!
  • mc24
    mc24 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2006
    Options

I'm with ya'll. rosemary 44 I'm in Texas as well.

• Rosemary44
    edited May 2006
    Options
    mc,
    Are you close to Houston or on the other side of this country?
  • ravdeb
    ravdeb Member Posts: 277
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Quote:

" Sometimes when I reflect back on all the wine I drink I feel shame Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the vineyards and all of their hopes
    and dreams If I didn't drink this wine, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this wine and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
    ~ Jack Handy

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may leave you wondering what the hell happened to your bra and panties.

I just read this, Terynsmom. So very true! My husband grows grapes for wine so I have to drink in order to keep the business going.
  • rondab
    rondab Member Posts: 87
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Well hey you Texas ladies - I'm going to be in Tyler on July 1st - long ways from Houston though! Will also spend a couple days in Texarkana.
    Rosemary - we cook ham & beans (usually navy beans, sometimes pintos), also do a 15 bean soup. What kind of recipe are you wanting? We do just about anything in those ovens: cakes, cobblers, bread, beef or pork roasts, chili (we add beans up here), gumbo, soups, potatoes, baked beans, other veggies, huevos rancheros, brisket, just whatever!
    Shel- we drink Busch Light here - it's $17 for a 30 pack.I like Miller Ultra once in awhile, but I can't remember how much it is. Ronda
  • Rosemary44
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Rav,

I wanted to ask you this and forgot to do it till now. Is pomegranate wine big in Israel? I bought a bottle last summer but it was a tad too strong for me.
  • Rosemary44
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Hi Ronda,

I'm interested in a recipe for small red beans. I only put in onions, garlic and celery. I'm sure I'm missing some other ingredients to pizzazzz it up some.

I saw a show on PBS about wagon cooking. Do you have a wagon also and go to those cook-offs? That looks like fun and a lot of work.
  • 2up
    edited May 2006
    Options
    ronda.......17 bucks for 30? wow! its 35 bucks for 24 here........its all tax too! oh well, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!

rosemary....pomegranate wine is catching on here some.......but pomegranate martinis are the rage lately, they're good too!
  • Rosemary44
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Shel,

I think Oprah had a lot to do with that rage for pomtini's. As soon as I saw the show I figured we were going to start paying even more for the stuff. It's $10 a bottle or more in some places for the juice. I drink the juice everyday. The wine is cheaper, go figure, and it's supposedly protective against BC. I wish Oprah would have liked OJ instead.
  • mc24
    mc24 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2006
    Options

I'm in Waco.

• 2up
    edited May 2006
    Options

the juice is good for cancer????????? its on sale at my grocery store.........i think i'll grab some, can't hurt right? and if its yukky i'll make it into martinis and have a party lol!

• Rosemary44
    edited May 2006
    Options

The wine is anti bc, the juice is very heart healthy.

• ishirleyam
    ishirleyam Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2006
    Options

Ever think about it?? There are 24 hours in a day. AND there are 24 beers in a case!!!

• 2up
    edited May 2006
    Options

OMG..........are you a canadian girl?????? that's a famous saying in these parts! lololol!

• rondab
    rondab Member Posts: 87
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Rosemary - no we don't do the chuckwagon thing, don't dress in old fashioned clothes or anything. Just get together & cook! (and usually drink beer)
    Here's my red beans & rice recipe - is this what you're looking for?

Red Beans and Rice

1 lb. dried red beans
    3 1/2 C water or chicken stock
    4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
    1/2 C celery, chopped
    2 bay leaves
    1 large onion, diced
    1 chopped bell pepper
    1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced
    3 T fresh parsley, chopped
    salt, pepper and hot sauce (preferably Tabasco) to taste
    A few sprinkles of dried red pepper flakes if desired

2 C steamed rice

Serves 6-8

Wash, sort and soak beans overnight, as per package instructions.
    Drain beans and place in a Dutch Oven with 3 cups cold water (or chicken broth). Add garlic, celery, onion, bell pepper and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours, adding water as needed and stirring occasionally.
    Add sausage and parsley and continue cooking for about an hour. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and hot sauce to taste during the entire process. Serve over steamed rice.

I use chicken broth or a mix of broth & water usually. If I happen to have a ham shank or good ham bone, I use that and cook the beans in water. Sometimes I use dried jalapeno in place of the red pepper flakes. And I rarely have fresh parsley so just use the dried stuff. Ronda
  • ishirleyam
    ishirleyam Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2006
    Options
    No - not Canadian. I'm a WAY southern girl. North Carolina. And I thought I was just being brilliant with that phrase. Actually I think I heard it on a radio commercial.

Miller Lite here!
  • 2up
    edited May 2006
    Options

cheeers girl!!!!!!!!!!

• sierrasusieq
    sierrasusieq Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2006
    Options
    One time one of my Drs asked how much I drink and I told her I drink a couple of glasses of wine most nights. She said that wine is a depressive and since I was depressed at the time I should quite drinking wine.

Well, a dear friend of mine who also likes wine said " Well, just think how depressed you'd be if you couldnt have your glass of wine or 2 at night!"

I had to agree with my friend.
  • Rosemary44
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Thanks Ronda,

That's what I was looking for. I found a lentil soup recipe on the net to live for. It's that good. But small red beans have more anti-oxidants then lentils,(I think) so I like making them also. Thanks again.
  • pdgd
    pdgd Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Sierrasusieq, I'm with your friend, too! What on earth would I do without my nightly wine! Pam
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Can I join?

You should have seen the look on DH's face when I asked my oncologist about drinking beer at my very first appointment. I know he was thinking "LUSH!" But I love my beer, and it helps me unwind after stressful days. My dr. told me it's fine in moderation - 2 a day is fine. Honestly, sometimes I fudge on that, but some days are just harder than others!

I too felt guilty about my beer when I was diagnosed with cancer. I was sure I caused it. But my cancer is not hormone receptive, and that's helped me a bit. I still do wonder sometimes though.

Anyway, sitting here drinking my 5:00 beer because it must be 5:00 somewhere!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2006
    Options

How does drinking effect an ER+ cancer??

• Rosemary44
    edited June 2006
    Options
    They "think" that alcohol raises the levels of estrogen in our body. Why don't they know that for sure by now? Does it or doesn't is? Wouldn't this be an easy test to do?

Take a base-line sample, have a drink, wait an hour and see who we try to pick up. Easy.

There is this:

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/HealthIssues/1043263133.html
  • 2up
    edited June 2006
    Options
    oh sweet jesus..........i'm peeing right now laughing at that response........"priceless"

in all seriousness alcohol is supposedly a catalyst in hormone positive cancers, there is a big discussion on it in the "help" section here before you actually hit the boards!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2006
    Options

ok, shel38, I can't find the 'big discussion' after searching. Do you have the link? I have er+ breast cancer and do enjoy wine from time to time. If this is a serious catalyst, those of us with er+ cancers should stop. My onc has not said word one about this.

• Rosemary44
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I found this, if you go to the bottom of the page it goes on to the next topic in this group:

http://www.breastcancer.org/research_diet_080001.html
  • dberg
    dberg Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2006
    Options

It has been a long time since I have looked at this thread. I always got such a kick out of it during chemo. I L-O-V-E wine and have been feeling a little guilty lately. I'm sure this 2 glasses/night will end once I go back to work. I'll tell you though, I feel a lot better knowing there are others who won't/don't give it up.