Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

how about drinking?

Options

Comments

• pdgd
    pdgd Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2006
    Options

I agree.. I lived in Burlington VT for 10 years and there's nothing like a cold canadian beer and a hockey game! (do they still have hockey night in canada on TV??) I'm off on vacation after last rads tomorrow so I'll see you ladies soon. Pam

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Member Posts: 282
    edited June 2006
    Options
    They sure do Pam...it was on last night as a matter of fact...can you believe it, the Stanley Cup playoffs are in the finals and started last night? June 5th?!? I swear it gets later and later every year...Edmonton Oilers & Carolina Hurricanes. No idea how old you are Pam, but how far back do you go with Hockey Night in Canada? Do you remember Ward Cornell? Dave Hodge or are you more recent with Ron McLean and Don Cherry?
    Congratulations on your last rads tomorrow!!
    Have a lovely vacation!
  • rondab
    rondab Member Posts: 87
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Well I'm not a Texan, but I'll share this recipe with y'all. It's one of our favorites. Make sure you have some warm flour tortillas to go with this. Ronda
    GREEN CHILI WITH PORK
    1/2 cup olive oil
    2 large onions, chopped
    8 garlic cloves, minced
    8 jalapeno peppers, minced
    3 carrots, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/2in pieces
    1 1/2 tbps oregano
    3 lb boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1/2in cubes
    2 cans chicken broth
    1 large can Italian plum tomatoes drained (we use Rotel instead)
    1 potato, peeled and grated
    4 cans mild green chilies, chopped
    1 large can hot chili beans with gravy

In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil and add onions, garlic, jalapenos, and carrots. Sauté for 10 minutes. Stir in oregano and pork cubes. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken stock, 1 tsp salt, tomatoes, and potatoes. Bring to boil, then lower and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally. Add green chilies and beans to mixture and simmer another 30-45 minutes. Serve.
  • christineK
    christineK Member Posts: 735
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Ronda- Love your new pic. You look so happy and beautiful. Recipe sounds great.
    Canada girls, I am a hockey sister. Grew up with my bros playing for traveling teams, we event went to Canada to play and got snowed in, almost missed Thankgiving here. I went to every practice and every game while my my bros were "mites" and "squirts" I think I was really after the "bantams," the older boys. LOL
    PS. I think on these road trips, as a teen is when I started this drinking thing. Only drinking wine these days, with an occasional martini or bloody mary-yum!
  • 2up
    2up Member Posts: 944
    edited June 2006
    Options
    bwaa haa haa!....i have a scrub shirt with "dr kervorkian" on the pocket...........needless to say i don't wear it to work!!!!!!!

hockey really is a way of life..........i love it! i watch my nephews play "travel" at least twice a week........"go habs go" lol!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2006
    Options

Who said rasberry beer??

• 2up
    edited June 2006
    Options
    christine..........i was a hockey sister too, we had tykes and midgets and peewees...........then the "big boys" like bantoms and atoms..........i know exactly what you mean!

oh to be young again!!!!!
  • Anonymous
    edited June 2006
    Options
    That sounds soooo good Ronda!! And hey, you don't need to be a Texan to know good food!! I've printed it off and can't wait to make it!!

Shel, I can see why you wouldn't wear that scrub shirt to work...and let's face it, not everyone has a sense of humour -- or at the very least a different kind of sense of humour...I thought Evan's shirt was funny and so did his teachers (including the women)...I was worried people would think he had no respect for women when he does -- a very gentle, thoughtful soul...but he has a wicked sense of humour...for which I'm glad. I don't either of my children to forget to laugh, to laugh at the world, themselves and life. I think your shirt is funny!!

Christine, I'll sit down for a martini with you any day or a glass of wine -- red or white? If we're doing red I'll have a merlot or a cabernet sauvignon, if we're doing white I'm partial to a sauvignon blanc or on a very hot day, a pinot grigio.

And I'm so happy to see hockey sisters here -- I had no brothers who played but I was always at the rink with my friend whose brother played..a great way to meet guys. I'm lucky being in Metro Toronto that my boys don't "travel" out of the city with hockey but it has been a huge part of my life the last few years...taking up about 5 of 7 days a week with practices & games. I do love the sport and that helps immensely.

Christine, my younger son's team played an exhibition game up here 3 years ago Christmas with a team from Missouri...the coach called, they were coming to Toronto for a tournament and wanted extra games...the Missouri River Otters, from Manchester. Nice group of people!

Then there's the time I went on a road trip with the NHL Toronto Maple Leafs and we were in Kansas City, Mo. -- loved that experience.

See, once again, I go to bed way too early (I'm desperate for beauty sleep since tx!!) and miss all the fun, then I have to play "catch up" in the morning while the rest of you are sleeping in!!!
  • Rosemary44
    Rosemary44 Member Posts: 272
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I just read this and came away wondering what I just read. My comments in ()

Daily drink can bring health benefits - for men

May 29 (Reuters) - Moderate drinking reduces the risk of heart disease but the beneficial effects of alcohol seem to work differently in men and women, Danish researchers said on Friday.

(notice it says work differently in men AND women)

They found that for men drinking daily seems to have the biggest positive effect on health while in women the amount of alcohol consumed may have more of an impact.

(More of an impact, positive or negative?)

"The risk of heart disease was lowest among men who drank every day," said Janne Tolstrup of the National Institute for Public Health in Copenhagen.

But a daily tipple did not cut the odds of heart disease in women, according to the findings reported in the British Medical Journal.

(OK, this must mean it's negative impact)

Tolstrup and her colleagues said the beneficial effects of moderate drinking in cutting heart disease risk are well documented but they warned that heavy alcohol consumption is linked to liver diseases, cancer and road accidents.

Most of the research into alcohol and heart disease has been done on men. Little is known about the impact on women.

(How can little be known about the impact if they just said it doesn't cut heart disease in women?)

The researchers studied the effects of alcohol on more than 50,000 men and women over more than five years. Men in the study who drank one day a week had a 7 percent reduced risk of heart disease compared to non-drinkers, but daily moderate drinkers were 41 percent less likely to suffer from heart disease.

(Now they say they studied women):

Women consumed an average of 5.5 alcoholic drinks a week, about half of what the men drank. But in women the percentages of reduced risk were similar, regardless of whether they drank one day or seven days a week.

(Now they say for women the reduced risk were similiar)

"This study does not change the fact that alcohol should be enjoyed in moderation only, both by men and women," said Judy O'Sullivan, of the British Heart Foundation in a statement.

(In other words, what the hell did this report say?) This is the kind of research reporting I read almost every day. It's useless, confusing, and downright stupid!

End of rant
  • Anonymous
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I agree Rosemary, it's very confusing, but then again, I find a number of these kinds of studies to be confusing. The difference between the sexes once again (our dna/hormones/body types)...so much is known about heart disease in men, so little about heart disease in women..more is known about the effects of alcohol on men then it is on women...and yet in both cases, it is the women who suffer most. With heart disease, the warning signs are different and I know there are a great number of women who don't know that -- don't know what they should be looking for. We're getting better, but there are still so many unknown variables. With alcohol you read one report that says red wine is good for the heart, in men and women. But limit that to one glass per day. Then you read that there are no significant benefits to drinking red wine at all.

IMO -- I have come to the conclusion that a large number of these studies are done to keep people busy. I don't mean to be flippant, I'm being serious. Research is necessary -- if we didn't have research, there would be no new drugs, no cures for things, no advances. But how many of these studies are "valid" -- how many are really worthwhile and how many are done to make the general population feel that "work is being done" to improve this, that or the other thing. And then look at the number of grants given to further scientific research.

What makes the world go round? Money, and it's a completely different topic, something more suited to the "Debate It" Forum, but wouldn't it be interesting to know just how much money is "made", from a profit perspective on the back of cancer and cancer research. I don't have the facts or figures, and I'm not in a position to debate this strongly with anyone. I'm putting out an "opinion". As long as there are people willing/prepared to pay for studies, there will be studies. Who/what/and how the tests are conducted, what they are doing with the control group...what country/continent these are done, they all influence the outcomes.

Personally, I listen to my "gut", I listen to my heart and my head. I try and do the "right" thing, I use moderation in everything I do and as long as I know I am doing what I can the rest will have to fall into place. And I know this..I don't want to spend whatever time I have left on this earth stressing myself out to the beyond on back with "should I eat this?" "should I drink that", "what if this gives me cancer?"...because at the end of the day, I don't honestly think anyone really, truly knows what happens when the body turns on itself. That's between me, my body, my genetic code, my head/my body and God.
  • pdgd
    pdgd Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Sherry, I lived in VT from '74-'83. I was in college and teaching and then a young mom. I seriously can't remember who the hosts were, I just remember their great accents!! eh?? I'm 49. Last rads this morning, I'm off! Later girls. Pam
  • Anonymous
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Eh yourself!! That time period, you're talking the end of Dave Hodge's career there - back in what I call the "good old days" when I still knew who most of the players were (I'm 49 myself -- creeping quickly to 50). Happy Last Rads and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy that vacation!!!!!!!
  • JanieMarie
    JanieMarie Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2006
    Options
    HERO!!! Hey There! So glad you checked back in. I am so glad to hear you are doing well!! It sounds like you have been moving on and living well!!

I have been away from the boards for a few days and wow, this thread had experienced some activity! Nothing for weeks and then WHAM! It's heatin' up here!

The reason I love this board is because I have "permission" to act silly, and be silly, in the face of my overwhelming fears. I also wonder...did I get cancer because of all the alcohol I have consumed over the years - high school, college, now a lover of fine wines (that give me the worst hot flashes!)? I think it also gives me panic attacks, but I am not sure how to explain that to the doctor.

Anyhoo - this thread is a sanctuary of fun AND a place where I come to see any new research that others may have found regarding alcohol and cancer. I think we have a good mix here and I love all the funny stories. (I FOUND my bra and panites, by-the-way!)

Best Margarita: 1 Can Frozen Lime Juice, 1 bottle light beer, 1 cup tequila, 1 cup triple sec, full blender of ice; blend well. It's a little heavy on the calories, but very tasty! Cheers all!

HERO - So glad you are back!!

Janie
  • christineK
    edited June 2006
    Options

Beer in a margarita? I have had and still enjoy a bloody mary with beer. I'll order a bloody, save a lil at the bottom and top it with light beer or just order a beer with bloody mix or tom juice on the side and make what some parts of the country call a red eye or red beer.

• JanieMarie
    JanieMarie Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Yup! The first time I heard this, I was in disbelief - BEER in a MARGARITA?! Then, this skeptic gave it a whirl. It's really good.

Janie
  • 2up
    edited June 2006
    Options

EVEN BETTER.........a "red eye" but with clamato instead of tomato.........yummmm!

• christineK
    edited June 2006
    Options

Shel-that sounds great. I had a feeling if anyone on the board could relate to the red eye, it would be you. (That is a compliment)

• mc24
    mc24 Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2006
    Options

Not much of one, everyone here likes it tho. Steaks marinated in lime for about 4hrs then put on the grill with pepper and rosemary. Flip every 5-10mns till done.

• christineK
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I just meant that not any people in the Mid West are familiar w/ Red Eyes and give me dirty looks when I order one. Mixing beer w. tom juice? They don't understand until they try it.
    The steak recipe sounds delish.
  • Anonymous
    edited June 2006
    Options

That steak recipes sounds good...I love lime and can see how that would compliment the steak. Thanks for sharing!

• rondab
    rondab Member Posts: 87
    edited June 2006
    Options

Christine - We're in way SE Kansas, and lots of people drink red beer around here. Never heard them called red-eyes though. Ronda ps - thanks for the kind words about my new pic

• HERO2
    HERO2 Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2006
    Options
    #1 - still don't know how to make a Tom Collins

#2 - what do you do when you have a hangover? I've heard and read about what to do but, have never really tried any

#3 - Woo Hoo! Janie!!! Yes, we're baaaack !

have more to 'talk' about, but, I just got a phone call from a GUY friend that's in the middle of chemo....he feels like shit....

keep him in your thoughts and prayers, pleeeeze@

HERO, class of '05
  • 2up
    edited June 2006
    Options
    TOM COLLINS..........

1 shot of gin
    4 ounces of "bar lemon"
    splash of soda water

now you can also do it with vodka and then its a "vodka collins".........."bar lemon" is a powder that you mix with water and refrigerate.........here you can buy the mix in the grocery store in the "pop aisle", and you can buy it already mixed as well. it's often called "bar sour mix"
  • SonjaR
    SonjaR Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Hi - I'm a newbie and this is my first post (I think...?!? I started typing before and all of a sudden my computer went nuts and bumped me off the site!).

Thanks to Sherry (Designing Diva) I found you all!
    Thank you Sherry!

I have read all the posts on this thread and have been in stitches at times. It is so good to laugh and tell it like it is!

I also thought that drinking gave me breast cancer. When I was first diagnosed every doctor/surgeon/onc/rad would ask me how much alcohol I consumed in one day!!! I wanted to ask them if they knew how to read - look in my bl**dy file! Anyhoo, I'm not an alcoholic (I don't think so anyway!). I like to have a scotch on weekends, cold, cold beer on hot, hot days and well, wine with my meals. We have acouple of glasses of wine with our meal (it's the italian in me!) but not every day! When I asked the docs if I could have a drink, they said a glass of wine with friends once in awhile, no problem! What's that - sometimes I like to have a glass of wine while I prepare supper! So, of course, my sweetheart - Eros was with me when I asked the docs and now everytime I pour myself an extra (2nd) glass I get that 'LOOK'!!! BITE ME! Since April 10th, 2006 I have had 4 glasses of wine and 2 glasses of beer - pathetic when you can keep count!! I have only had one chemo treatment so far and didn't drink (I tried) but it tasted like crap! It's only been the last few days that I actually got my tastebuds back! And my next treatment is Wednesday so I might as well enjoy - no?!?

Well, wish me luck, tonight we are having friends over - I'll let you know how many drinks I was 'ALLOWED' to have or maybe who had to sleep on the couch! Lol!

Sonja pronounced 'Sonia' or 'Sonya' Ha! Ha!
  • Anonymous
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Hi! Glad you were able to get sorted and post. Your sense of humour and love of life is so evident Sonja with a "j"...enjoy your evening with friends...I always found the week before chemo was my best week...had some sense of taste, some sense of my body being more like itself and if friends wanted to go out or get together, it was always the best time for me and I could enjoy a glass with them. Good to know Eros has your best interests at heart...hope he's not on the couch tonight!!
  • Rosemary44
    edited June 2006
    Options

I just posted a fun get together for San Fran at the end of July. We could have a great lunch and tour together. I wonder how long that lunch would last. What tour? I just thought I'd come by to entice you all.

• Anonymous
    edited June 2006
    Options

Rosemary!! I missed you -- was thinking about you when I was having my coffee this morning!! Now I see where you've been...planning this San Fransisco treat!! Ooohhh that sounds so good...I wish I could go...you're enticing me all right...I loved SF when I was there...you'll have a fabulous time...hope there are some who can be there or are in the area and you can hook up!

• Rosemary44
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Sherry,

I had company this week, my son came for a visit. Guess what I cooked, lentils. I'm glad you liked the recipe.

When I found the tour bus, I thought what a fun thing for a bunch of us to do, but I really think they should just take us and leave us in wine country, we'll find our way back ...eventually.
  • Anonymous
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I'm glad you had a nice visit with your son...and hopefully he ate all his lentils!

Being left in wine country...that conjurs some very lovely images!! Find our way back?! I'd like to just stay "lost"!! One of the things on my "list of things to do" (which strangely I had made even before I knew bc was trying to make itself at home in my body!), is to tour vineyards. There are some lovely ones here in southern Ontario, about 1 1/2 hours from here (as a matter of fact, I lived in that area for a year when I was 9 -- wasn't much on wine back in 1967 (!) -- the only kind my parents knew or would have for a holiday meal was Mogen David... talk about sweet!!!!). There are tours all the time and every winery has a **** restaurant with **** chefs...my friend Greg and I have talked about doing this for years and one of these days I'm going to hold him to it. He teases me about being a wine snob because I prefer French or Australian wines (though I like a little something from every country) and I should support Ontario wines...to be fair, there are some really decent VQA wines being produced in Ontario now...so I'd be in CA in a heartbeat to tour some of those wineries and I absolutely fell in love with "Under the Tuscan Sun" -- not because of the wine itself (though I do love Italy and Italian wine...)-- I'd love to own a villa there and just live la dolce vita! Okay, back to earth...I need to make a grocery list, do the mundane..but as I'm pushing that cart I'll be thinking of warm sun, lush olive trees, a good book and a glass of fine red wine...enjoy your day...you've given me my "aura" for the day!! You see, there are so many wonderful, beautiful things in life...bc just has to take a backseat in mine...I deal with it when I need to, and then I get on with living...because there's just too much of it left to be done!!
  • Rosemary44
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the trip, I enjoyed it immensly, though short. I wanted to stay longer in your fantasy.

Did you read about the wine tasting wars? I think it was in the 80's, they had a blind wine tasting of CA and French wines and invited the French wine snobs to be the judges. Long story short, the snobs picked a CA wine in the first go around of tasting. Well word got back to them that they actually picked a CA wine to be the best of that category.

They were assured that they could tell a French from a CA wine, so the next one, they pulled it apart from limb to limb, grape to grape. It was awful! It was the French wine. Talk about sour grapes.

I enjoyed that story, and they had another blind taste testing recently again, and sure enough it was the CA wine that won the day again. I can't refind the story because I wanted to go visit the winning winery and take a taste. That's the way it goes.