Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How Many Stage 4 Girls are getting SS disability..

Comments

• saint
    saint Member Posts: 583
    edited January 2009

Totally agree with Kathy----GO & TALK to a ss rep! It made ALL the difference for me.

• Judiiiii
    Judiiiii Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2009

Dana, I haven't read the entire thread, but if you have worked for the Fedl Govt for 18 years then you are eligible for Disability Retirement from OPM.  I worked fror the Fedl Govt for 14 years and I went on Disability Retirement about 1-1/2 years ago.  So, I collect SSDI    AND   a monthly check from OPM.  The amount you get from OPM is based upon a formula that includes how much you made while working and the number of years you worked for the Fedl Govt.

I also get health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, and long term care insurance through OPM - all at a reasonable cost.

As I said, I have not read this entire thread, so I might have confused things, but wanted to make sure that you know that you can collect $$$$ through OPM and be provided insurance if you go on Disability Retirement.  It is a hassle getting to talk to anyone at OPM, but it surely was worth it!  My benefit amount is nearly as much as my SSDI is and the various insurances at a reasonable cost is a lifesaver.

Good luck, Dana!     Judi 

• elliem1207
    elliem1207 Member Posts: 976
    edited January 2009

I am hoping someone can help me with my dilemma.

i was laid off from my part time job oct 13, 08. started collecting unemployment--i decided to apply for disability since i was having a lot of pain with my spinal mets. applied for disability on nov. 25th (meanwhile i have still been collecting unemployment weekly). i was notified on thurs that i was approved for dis and my first check will be in may. sooooo my question is -- can i still collect unemployment until my first disability check? or do i have to stop collecting unemployment since i have been approved for disability? has anyone else been in this situation?

thanks

ellie

xoxo 

• denise1962
    denise1962 Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2009

Ellie,

I am going through the same thing. Am waiting for a call from SSDI for an anwser.  But EDD thought I could collect unemployment until it ran out and not collect SSDI. I still have 6mo of employment left, which is alot more $$ than SSDI. Hopefully they will call Monday.

denise

• elliem1207
    edited January 2009

denise,

when i applied for dis, i asked the rep about still collecting unemployment, she told me in a snooty voice that i am telling unemployment that i am willing and able to work, but i'm applying for disability because i am unable to work.  she wasn't helpful. if you get an answer from ssdi, could you let me know, and if i find out any info, i'll pass it along. were you just approved for dis? what is edd?

thanks,

ellie

xoxo

• denise1962
    edited January 2009

Ellie

I was approved for SSDI in July, but was to start getting my 1st check this Jan. Edd is calif unemployement which I have been getting since June. I wouldn't put too much weight in how these people react, some of them behave like it is their personal money. It is my understanding that you should be able to collect your unemploymnet until it runs outs and then start collecting your SSDI, but I want to confirm this with SSDI. I will let you know as soon as the call comes in.

take care

denise

• Watson
    Watson Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2009

Maybe it's different where you live, but in Texas, to collect unemployment means you are actively searching for a new job  Going on disability would conflict with that and I"m pretty sure you wouldn't be able to collect.

• PineHouse
    PineHouse Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2009

In California, we have a State Disability Insurance.  When I first became disabled, I filed for both State disability, and Social Security disability.  I can receive both benefits, even at the same time, but State disability is only good for 12 months maximum.

Other states may have similar disability programs, it's probably worth checking.

Ellie, if you're starting off with an unemployment, then became disabled, I really have no clue how that would work.  But if the unemployment people think you should stop collecting, I'm sure they will tell you about it. 

• saint
    edited January 2009

OK--talked to my friend who works at SS--he verified what watson said: that receiving unemployment infers that you ARE able & willing to work. Apparently you have to fill out a form every couple of weeks for unemployment & they ASK if you are applying for or receiving SSD---According to my friend your state unemployment office will likely cut off your payments IF you are unable to work (especially if you receive ssdi).....hope that helped.

Be well & stay strong 

• denise1962
    edited January 2009

Pinehouse

I call social security and and told the I was receving Ca state disability and would it affect my SSDI they said it might and to mail the the last 2 mos payment stubs and they would check into to it. Did you have to do this?

Thanks

• saint
    edited January 2009

I have never received unemployment or state disability---I DO know you are only permitted to make about $900 a month (averaged over a year) over & above ssdi payments.....does that help??

• Watson
    Watson Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2009

I didn't know there was a state disabililty.  I don't know how that would affect SSDI. 

Getting unemployment is paid ONLY when you are LOOKING for work again.  If you claim to be disabled you are saying you cannot work and then are not entitled to the unemployment benefit.

• elliem1207
    edited January 2009

saint--thanks for the info--i have stopped collecting unemployment. i'm not trying to be a dishonest person, but i was hoping there was some loophole that would allow a person to collect unemployment until their disblility kicks in. how does one live with no income????

thanks everyone for all the feedback

ellie

xoxo

• LisaSDCA
    LisaSDCA Member Posts: 178
    edited January 2009

I've looked back, but I am unclear on the details of how one achieves deferment/forgiveness on a student loan - specifically a Parent Plus Loan. My loan is through Sallie Mae, and they 'declined' my application for deferral. My onc. verified my Stage IV diagnosis on their forms but they say my loan doesn't qualify. Terminal diagnosis - not qualified. What's wrong with this picture?

Any help or advice to get this solved would be appreciated!

Lisa

• kgrimm
    kgrimm Member Posts: 20
    edited January 2009

Lisa, no answers.  My Parent Plus Loan is not Sallie Mae but another Co and I sent the paperwork in 8 weeks ago.  That was the second time I sent them in.  The first time the doctor had not put enough info.  I think they are just giving people the run around.  I have an onc appt tomorrow but am going to give them a call Wed and see what is taking so long.  I don't know who you can even call to find out if they can do that.  I thought if you were disabled and not able to work and the doctor properly fills out the paper work that you would qualify.  I also have a PP loan with another co. and when them called they said "wrong year".  What does that mean?  I let it go since it wasn't a large amount/month but if I ever get the other loan forgiven, I am going to try calling again opout the second one.  Good luck.  I hope you can find the help you need and are aple to get the loan forgiveness.

• Fllorik
    Fllorik Member Posts: 381
    edited January 2009

So, Has anyone gotten a raise from SSDI for January?

Also, has anyone seen anywhere if the amt. you earn has gone up to $980.00? Just hoping to save a trip to SS.

• Judiiiii
    Judiiiii Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2009

Kgrimm, I've contacted Sallie Mae many, many times and I get no response.  I guess I'll just keep trying.  They are obviously ignoring me!  Maybe if I stop paying, I'll get a response!

Fllorik, I got a notice from SS telling me that I am getting a raise in my next check.  Have forgotten how much, but it is decent - heck, even a few bucks would be decent.  I shouldn't complain and I'm not, without SSDI, I'd be in big big trouble.

Take care....  Judi 

• LisaSDCA
    edited January 2009

Ahh, phooey!

Thanks for your responses. Doesn't sound promising, does it?!?

Lisa

ps - I have had it confirmed by a SSDI rep.that we get a 'raise' paid effective the January check

• Fllorik
    edited January 2009

Yes! I love pay raises!!!!

• LuAnnH
    LuAnnH Member Posts: 348
    edited January 2009

Lisa, I got my regular student loans forgiven and it wasn't based on my terminal diagnosis, it is based on the fact that I am disabled, should I ever come out of disability my loans will be reinstated with no penalities.  Maybe you are filing for the wrong reason, you know what a wrong code on insurance paperwork will do....

• EWB
    EWB Member Posts: 592
    edited January 2009

the raise is 5.8%, cost of living raise.

• Bonnielv
    Bonnielv Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2009

I had my parent plus loan forgiven and it is through Sallie Mae, like Luann said, it is based on the fact that I am disabled and not able to work.  The process was really easy.  They say it does take a total of 3 years to be totally forgiven but in th emeantime there is no additional interest accrued and I am not required to make payments.  They did say that I need to notify them if I should return to work.  If you want to PM me I will be glad to share with you the information which I and my onc filled out on the form. 

• Fllorik
    edited January 2009

Does anyone know how you are supposed to report income while on SSDI? Do you phone them or do you have to give them a copy of your W2 form?

• LuAnnH
    LuAnnH Member Posts: 348
    edited January 2009

Report income to who?

• Analemma
    Analemma Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2009

I also had PLUS loans "suspended" based on the fact that I am disabled.  They will be forgiven upon my death.  I wish I had known about this a long time before, because they don't refund the payments you made after you were eligible to have the loans suspended.

• Bonnielv
    Bonnielv Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2009

Last year was my 1st year collection SS Disability.  Can anyone tell me if SS sends something like a 1099 to us which we need to include when filing our income taxes?  Thanks.

• LisaSDCA
    edited January 2009

Yes, Bonnie - I received mine yesterday, SSA-1099. .I only had SSDI income from Oct. through the end of the year so it wasn't much. Here's some info on whether any part of your SSDI payment is taxable.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch11.html

Lisa

• LisaSDCA
    edited January 2009

Bonnie - I am going to PM you about your success with your Parent Plus loan with Sallie Mae. You have given me renewed hope!

Lisa

• Analemma
    Analemma Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2009

Lisa, there is information on the website with the form that you download and take to the dr. to fill out.

Check it out here:

https://www.dl.ed.gov/borrower/OtherFormList.do?cmd=doViewRequirements&wizardName=Total%20And%20Permanent%20Disability%20Discharge%20Request

• lovinmomma
    lovinmomma Member Posts: 105
    edited January 2009

I am not eligible for SSD becasue of lack of work history (SAHM doesn't count LOL).  I have applied for  SSi and I think I have been approved, but I am also looking at my advanced death benefit. If I take that, will I loose my SSI?  I know there are no taxes on the Death Benefit, but does it count as income?  I don't want to mess up my insurance or my kids insurance (it is the state ins).