Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How Many Stage 4 Girls are getting SS disability..

Comments

• Fllorik
    Fllorik Member Posts: 381
    edited March 2009

Medicaid and Medicare are two different medical coverages. It is easy to confuse them. Good luck!

• ranD
    ranD Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2009

Got my phone call yesterday.  She said I did not qualify since I didn't work 10 of the last 20 quarters since 2000.  I have no idea what she is talking about.  I thought I had enough.  Now they put me in for SSI since we are on a fixed income...she thought I would qualify for that...sigh...but no one ever knows with the govt, right?

randie

• marshakb
    marshakb Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2009

Good for you Pat!  My approval is back but I have  to wait till July to get my first check.

ranD, getting disability checks is based on past work history BUT getting medicaid is different.  Ask them to look into this:

Medicaid Special Coverage Conditions

Breast and Cervical Cancer: Prevention and Treatment

Breast and Cervical Cancer is a Medicaid optional eligibility category for certain groups of women who are in need of treatment for breast and cervical cancer.

This page is intended to provide materials of interest to various audiences regarding the prevention and treatment of breast and cervical cancer.  There is now a law that permits state Medicaid programs to provide medical services to certain women diagnosed with breast or cervical cancer.

The Breast and Cervical Cancer Prevention and Treatment Act of 2000

On October 24, 2000, the Breast and Cervical Cancer Prevention and Treatment Act of 2000 - Public Law 106-354 - (see Downloads below) was signed into law.  This Act, which has an effective date of October 1, 2000, gives states the option to provide medical assistance through Medicaid to eligible women who were screened through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (NBCCEDP) (see Related Links Outside CMS below) and found to have breast or cervical cancer, including pre-cancerous conditions.

NBCCEDP, which is administered by CDC, provides free breast and cervical cancer screening and follow-up diagnostic services to women in need, such as those who are uninsured or have low incomes. In 2000, CDC began its 10th year of this landmark program, supporting early detection programs in all 50 states, 6 U.S. territories, the District of Columbia, and 12 American Indian and Alaska Native organizations.

Native American Breast and Cervical Cancer Treatment Technical Amendment Act of 2001

On January 15, 2002, Congress passed a technical amendment to the BCCPT Act. This amendment, the Native American Breast and Cervical Cancer Treatment Technical Amendment Act of 2001, extends benefits of the BCCPT Act to additional American Indian and Alaska Native women. On February 28, 2002, CMS sent a letter to State Health Officials (see Downloads below) advising them of this new provision.  The amendment is attached to the letter.

Medicaid Eligibility Requirements

In order for a woman to be eligible for Medicaid under this option, she must:

• have been screened for and found to have breast or cervical cancer, including precancerous conditions, through the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program (NBCCEDP)
    • be under age 65; and
    • be uninsured and otherwise not eligible for Medicaid
  • debbiel
    debbiel Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2009

I need clarification on $70,000 limit that medicare will pay per illness.  That will just hardly cover the cost of my chemo......I was planning on retiring soon when my medicare starts which is in November. If this is true there is no way I can afford to do this....does anyone have any experience with this!  Thanks

• saint
    saint Member Posts: 583
    edited March 2009

Debbie---it is my understanding that medicare sets their own amount for any drug or procedure----BUT I was also led to believe that your clinic or hospital has to accept whatever they pay-----You also pick up a secondary ins co within a few months of qualifying for ssi, ssdi or medicare----the one thing I know for SURE is that every case is different & unique-----TALK to your ss rep & get the info first hand! What is true for me may not be true for anyone else who has posted on this thread (I have sure learned that to be true!)

Good luck-be well & stay strong 

• Stefanie
    Stefanie Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2009

Bumping it up for interested Stage IV ladies!

• Analemma
    Analemma Member Posts: 139
    edited April 2009

Did everyone who's on SSDI get a letter saying we get $250 soon as part of the stimulus package?  I know what I'm spending mine on - plants for the yard and garden!

• AusAla
    AusAla Member Posts: 24
    edited April 2009

Yep, I got one.

• saint
    saint Member Posts: 583
    edited April 2009

Me too!

• JoyRebecca
    JoyRebecca Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2009

Me too!

• LuAnnH
    LuAnnH Member Posts: 348
    edited April 2009

so how are you all going to spend this grand amount of money...cough cough  LOL

• JoyRebecca
    JoyRebecca Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2009

bills, bills, bills...........:-)

• Bonnielv
    Bonnielv Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2009

bills.  At least our's is in the form of a lump sum unlike individuals who are working and seeing a whole $12 in each of their paychecks.  As my son said, he can now buy a 12 pack of beer each paycheck LOL.

• Paula1628
    Paula1628 Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2009

I got the letter too regarding the $250 but I noticed it only mentioned Medicare and SSI.  It never actually referenced SSDI.  Do you think we'll still get it?

• jojomc
    jojomc Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2009

The place I worked went out of business and i couldn't afford cobra.  i got in touch with the breast and cervical foundation.  I think it was called Genie Hupp Catastrophic Illness.  They provie insurance for breast and cervical cancer at no cost.  Pays 100 percent.  You can drop your insurance and they will pick you up from what i understand.  I also got a policy through a regular insurance company for my husband and son.  The cost equaled what i was paying through my comapny.  i thought it would be more expensive but they have no health conditions and not on any meds.  hope this helps.

• Analemma
    edited May 2009

We did a lot of yard projects last year that now need finishing, and planting.  So, I'm spending a lot on plants.  I've also decided to sell a small piece of farmland that I inherited from my mother in S.C. (we'll never use it, all our family is in Ohio) and I'm going to spend some of that on new carpeting, I believe.  It's pretty bad, and fifteen years old.

• stateofgrace33
    stateofgrace33 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2009

Yes, mine was approved in 20 days.... I was told Stage IV is automatically approved and should be processed in 30 days.  check how your doctor labeled your disease.  that may make the difference, I don't know....  Talk to them at your local office - I had a manager help me and he personally sent it through.

thanks and good luck to you all - we need all the assistance we can get (and it's our money anyway!  :)

• bmdaley
    bmdaley Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2009

Hey ladies, I just started the process of applying for SSDI last week by doing the online submission. Now on the the more onerous task of organizing all the followup information. I'm so grateful for this thread and all the information you great ladies have shared as I've learned so much from it.

• Bmarie
    Bmarie Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2009

Will get my first payment this month (been off work since 10/18/08)....I think it's a shame that we have to wait so long to actually see the money! It will be for April, and I don't get it until May 20th! Sad! Also, had to max out my credit cards to carry me over all these months. Hope to get back on track now. I just don't know how everyone does it....thank goodness I had short term disibility and child support....but not even close to my old income. Something needs to be done about this waiting period!

Not sure if I will get the $250.......

• Brenda_R
    Brenda_R Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2009

Bmarie, when I first got mine, I started by getting my June allotment on July 30th, but they make sure to take your Medicare payment out in the same month it's due!

LuAnnH, I'll be spending mine on this year's mammo (it was my deductable) and insurance mostly.

• PattyP
    PattyP Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2009

If I apply for this, does it impact on anything that my husband or kids might receive after I die?  Will they have to pay anything back?

• Analemma
    edited May 2009

No, you are entitled to it, and it doesn't change their benefits.

• marshakb
    marshakb Member Posts: 796
    edited May 2009

My 5 month wait period ends this month.  My first check is July 8th for the month of June.  I have to say 6 months with no income on my end SUCKS.  Wonder who came up with this rule?  And how in the world "they" thought someone with a disability should have to wait over 6 months for it.  When you take social security at retirement there is  not a wait.  Well at least in July my hubby can stop working 2 and sometimes 3 jobs.  I honestly don't know how he has done it and taken care of me and the house work.  

Patty it doesn't change their benefits.

• Brenda_R
    edited May 2009

I asked the same thing, Marsha. I just ran across the answer yesterday on the SSD website.

Question

Why is there a five-month waiting period for Social Security disability benefits?          

Answer

The five month waiting period ensures that during the early months of disability, we do not pay benefits to persons who do not have long-term disabilities.  Social Security disability benefits can be paid only after you have been disabled continuously throughout a period of five full calendar months. Therefore, Social Security disability benefits will be paid beginning with the sixth full month after the date your disability began.  You are not entitled to benefits for any month in the waiting period.

• Bonnielv
    Bonnielv Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2009

You would think that they would determine that those of us with Stage IV cancer have a long-term disability and waive the 5 month rule.  Hopefully in the future this will happen so others can be helped sooner.  I also hope that in the near future they change the 24 month waiting period for medicare.

• Brenda_R
    edited May 2009

They have the Compassionate Allowance rule now, which gives Stage 4 quick approval, but I didn't see anything about waiving the 5 month waiting period, which is just crazy anyway.

http://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallowances/

• Bmarie
    edited May 2009

Just hope that SS and Medicare are around for us in the future...article on the front page of The Arizona Republic today says that things are pretty grim and may run out of funds in 8 years......worst since the 90's with this recession...

Just something else for us to worry about!!!!!!! 

• AusAla
    AusAla Member Posts: 24
    edited May 2009

Bumping for JeninMichigan.

• Paula1628
    Paula1628 Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2009

Anybody else receive their stimulus check for  $250.  Mine was direct deposited into my acount this morning.  Woo hoo!  I wasn't really sure that it was meant for us.  But guess it was.

• Bmarie
    edited May 2009

Not yet, but I hope I get it.....my SS just began April 1st and my first check is due in my account on the 20th of this month. I sure could use the $250! Ultimately, it's been a very long 7 months....I really don't think that our government realizes how hard this wait is and then you have to wait another month and a half to get the check from the start date..... AARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

I think I will call them now and ask......