Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Tips for getting through chemotherapy

Options

Comments

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited October 2010
    Options

Fluids, fluids, fluids, fluids. Did I mention fluids? Just sayin'.

• Marty12
    Marty12 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I know dry skin can be a problem. I found a great cream that worked so well that I still use it daily.
  • thatsme58
    thatsme58 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2013
    Options

So Nico, are you saying I should drink plenty of fluids? LOL2KFC!

Laughing These tips are GREAT! I start chemo Thursday, taxotere, carboplatin and herceptin, waiting for results from bone scan to see if it has moved in.

• karaoke1953
    karaoke1953 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi Ladies.  I am getting my port in on Monday and I start Adriamycin on Thursday.  I am a bit freaked out but honestly the information here is very encouraging.  I will remember to drink plenty of fluids, eat small frequent meals and hope for the best.

Diagnosis: 12/8/08 1.5cm, grade 3.  0/1 Node.  Er+Pr+ Her2-  Surgery, mammosite radiation, chemo.  Recurrence Triple neg 1.9cm grade 3 0/8 Nodes.  2nd lumpectomy, 8 nodes removed.  Start chemo on 11/11/10 and 5 weeks of radiation after that.

• Nico1012
    edited November 2010
    Options

Bump

• jamnstv
    jamnstv Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2010
    Options

Hi All!  This sight is wonderfully informative with great suggestions that cover so many subjects and questions!  My breast cancer metastisized to lots of scattered lymph nodes and ovaries as big as baseballs.  Right now I am just on Femera (9/23/10),but go back to onc Nov. 28th for check and more labs.  Had chemo in 1993--CMF- and faired pretty well.  Still wish internet had been around for me then though.  Will go back thru these posts and start a "needs" list along with "suggestions".  One thing that I love on this site are your positive quotes and sayings.  Thank you for being here.

God's Will won't ever take you where His Grace cannot protect you.

• Nico1012
    edited November 2010
    Options

Bump

• sharalou
    sharalou Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2010
    Options

Well, just finished round 2 of 4 on Tuesday. Feel like crap, and I mean crap. And tips on hand lotions? My hands are really dry.  Thanks so much!

Shari 

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited November 2010
    Options

I use hoofer's choice for cuticle cream. Works great. I found I had to stop using antibacterial stuff to wash my hands. It was just too harsh. Still haven't found the greatest hand lotion yet but not using the anti bacterial stuff really helped a lot.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Cuticle-Cream/SBS-705060,default,pd.html 

• sharalou
    edited November 2010
    Options

I still feel like crap, This is for the birds!  This is my second time doing this crap! Thanks for the tip on the hoofers choice. Gonna pick some up this weekend. What about for the mouth? Yucky taste. Have been using the Biotene.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited November 2010
    Options
    sharlou i feel like crap too. hopefully tomorrow will be better. my mouth tastes terrible because of the thrush and the meds for it. is your tongue white?
  • Nico1012
    edited November 2010
    Options

Bump

• BetsyBuzz
    BetsyBuzz Member Posts: 29
    edited November 2010
    Options

I drank lots, and I mean LOTS, of ice water while receiving 4 dd AC and T. I think it helped. Also used biotene regularly and during taxol got a prescription for magic mouthwash ( lidocaine, mylanta & flavoring), it was a life saver for me.

I started using glutamine powder, 2 tbsps twice a day, mixed with ginger ale for neuropathy during my taxol tx's. It helped tremendously, at first I was sceptical but by the end I became a believer. I used it for about three months after my last T tx.

Good luck ladies.

• Nico1012
    edited November 2010
    Options

Bump

• Nico1012
    edited December 2010
    Options

Bumping for the Dec 2010 chemo sista's!

• Nico1012
    edited December 2010
    Options

Bumping for the Dec. 2010 chemo sista's!

• sharalou
    edited December 2010
    Options

OMG. Day 5 from 3rd round of TC. SHIT!!! Feel like crap. I don't think anything helps! I have one more treatment, and don't even want to do that one, but I am. Gone this far. Its sucks. You have no control of what this shit does to you. I think alot is the Neulasta shot too. I am going to ask, my last treatment, if my counts are high before chemo, if they could possible not give me the whole injection of Neulasta. Don't know if that's a possibility?  Any suggestions for cracked skin? My finger tips, like 2 of them have cuts. Hurts so bad.  Good luck to us all.

• lago
    edited December 2010
    Options

Sharalou check my post above regarding hands. Be sure to use gloves when ever cleaning anything. The only time I get my hands wet is when I shower, wash or brush teeth. Stay away from the antibacterial stuff as much as you can. Limit to once a day. That really dries out the hands.

• Ang7
    Ang7 Member Posts: 568
    edited December 2010
    Options

Hi all~

I used something called "The Healing Hands" hand cream that I purchased at Whole Foods...

That really helped my hands during chemo and I still use it. 

• Nico1012
    edited December 2010
    Options

Bumping!

• Nico1012
    edited December 2010
    Options

Bump!

• Nico1012
    edited December 2010
    Options

Bump

• joannem1
    joannem1 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    Options

I try to slowly walk, at the gym, a half to a mile a day. This has been very helpful for helping to stay postive, as well as feeling stronger. I tried to "tough it out" without depression medication but am feeling much better with just an adivan a day recommended by my onocologist.  These tips are lifesavers and I'm very thankful for them.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited December 2010
    Options

I did 4 TC treatments and for three of them i went to the gym week 3 and did zumba and the first two i worked out to a video at home on week 2. Exercise helped me both mentally and physically. For the 4th, which the cycle ended yesterday, i got a sore throat and have been resting a lot because i am going on a big road trip in two weeks.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited January 2011
    Options

I love curry but it burned my mouth alive during chemo. I don't know if it's been mentioned and if it applies to everyone but I would stay away from anything spicy. Ice cream on the other hand was very soothing. Someone told me I shouldn't use soap so I used chamomile tea to take showers. It cleans very gently. I used it to brush my teeth, too. Those sonic toothbrushes and toothpaste hurt my gums and mouth. I used Kiehl's products with argan oil to massage myself. I've also used plain argan oil. My skin was glowing! Prune juice and cranberry juice helped clear my system. I sucked on sage drops for the sore throat and drank lots of chamomile tea.

I walked outside everyday for my anti-depression treatment.

• lago
    edited January 2011
    Options

Heidihill I get a sore tongue starting day 6 or 7ish for a week. I too can not eat anything spicy are too acidic at this time. I did find that sucking on ice during the Taxotere infusion made the soreness a lot less last time (tx4). I'm on day 6 of tx 5 so I'm waiting to see how my tongue is. I iced again this last treatment.

And Carrol I agree the work outs help. It's been harder after TX4 but this time I'm trying to at least get out and walk for 1/2-1 hour a day. I don't do much the of treatment and 3 days after though other than try and get out for a while.

• Nico1012
    edited January 2011
    Options

BUMP!

• Nico1012
    edited January 2011
    Options

Bumping it up.

• paula1231
    paula1231 Member Posts: 41