Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Tips for getting through chemotherapy

Options

Comments

• lorenar
    lorenar Member Posts: 41
    edited January 2011
    Options

THANK YOU ladies for all of this valuable information I start my first 6 month journey of chemo before my masectomy either next or the following Monday. I was really scared until reading every forum. I do not want to loose my hair as well, my neihgbor is a beautician, and is going to help fit me for a wig before hand, I am going to ask my ONC/ ABOUT AMEND ON fRIDAY AND SOMETHING TO SLEEP PER POSTED. This helps so much for me to plan ahead. God bless you all and may better days be ahead for us all.

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited January 2011
    Options

Best of luck to you in your journey, Lorenar. Will find a lot of support here on these boards.

Nico 1012

• Nico1012
    edited January 2011
    Options

Bump.

• Samantha41
    Samantha41 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Options

A little embarassing but I have to ask.  Has anyone done a chemo treatment the week of their menstruation?  I'm schedule for my very first chemo treatment on the 19th and that is when I am supposed to start my monthly.  I'm meeting with the onc tomorrow so I can ask them too but wanted to see what y'all say. 

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited January 2011
    Options

Mine was due the week after but since chemo started it's been MIA. I think its a good idea to let your onc know.

• lisaorock
    lisaorock Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2011
    Options

Hello Ladies,

I'm having a bad day.  I am TN. Iam halfway through my chemotherapy treatments.  I had a dose dense AC every two weeks.  I am going to start Taxol next Monday every two weeks, four rounds. I already had my right (affected breast)removed.  I am then going to have my left breast removed after chemo. Because I am BRACCA 2 positive I will also have my ovaries removed.  I have been so weak from thr chemo.  I used to exercise at leat 4 times a week (Jazzercise). I barely have any energy to wake up after the chemo.  It takes a little over a week to get some of my energy back. Each Chemo knocks me on my butt:(  I have no appetite.  My family and friends have been amazingly supportive.  I'm having a hard time staying positive.  All of you ladies seem so strong and positive.  How do you do it?  I'm also really scared about the Taxol.  The nurses told me it was much easier tha the AC treatments.  They said I would not need the Emend. I need some advice:)

Thanks!

• Jwatrlily
    Jwatrlily Member Posts: 65
    edited January 2011
    Options

Lisaorock,

Just had to pop in and tell you to stay strong about Taxol.  I was scared to death of it too almost to the point that I didn't think I could do it and asked my nurses the first treatment to not leave my side and if they knew how to save lives!!!  LOL, it was real fear but so unfounded on my part.  I know how you feel and I am hoping to encourage you about Taxol.

Your energy will come back when this is all over.  Life will get good again. 

That's not to say everyone is alike, I know they aren't but my chemo nurses told me if I was going to react it would be within the first 15 minutes of the Taxol and that whole treatment they took my vitals every 15 minutes. 

I will be having my 10th treatment this week.  It has been so much easier then the A-C.  Really and truly!    I've not been sick one second and have not taken one single sick medicine, not one pill.  I've not needed it.  I've not had bone pain to speak of, only taking pain meds once in the last nearly 10 weeks, and no neuropathy worth mentioning.  My nails are a bit thicker but not terribly discolored like they thought.  My Oncologist is pleased I've handled it so well.  I was dose dense on the A-C but am doing 12 weekly Taxol treatments.  My Oncologists choice that I approved.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned on this thread but a really good book is "Anticancer" by Dr. David Servan-Schreiber and I'm reading it right now.  It is going to be my Bible after this is all over.  I'm going to totally change my lifestyle and do what this book instructs (written by Dr. Servan-Schrieber, who has twice had brain cancer) as far as nutrition and diet and exercise (just today I bought green tea and Stevia sweetener). 

The information is well researched and well presented so that it is easy to read.  I am not one to get on a band wagon of voodoo nutrition methods (and actually shun most of them because they are radical at best) and thought long before getting this book, trying to read all of his reviews.  I feel encouraged by it, like I can take some control of this and help myself in ways that I can do, to keep a recurrence from happening.  A lot of it is in God's hands but I think He wants me to be His partner in this.

I am also Triple Negative.  Lisa, you can do this.  While some of us hate to hear it constantly, it does help to keep positive and have a happy outlook.  I mean, what's our alternative?  Each day we spend in fear and worry is a day robbed of what may be the rest of our lives and we could be happy and living it to the fullest.  I don't mean to sound "preachy" but you can do this, we all can.  Friends have been passing away around me, having lost 2 last week to cancer but, they would be the first to tell me to keep going and stay strong and have a good outlook.  Your diagnosis is exactly the same as mine and my Oncologist told me I have a very good prognosis, even with Triple Negative.

Hugs,

Juanita   

• lago
    edited January 2011
    Options

lisaorock I was pretty strong and positive when I started chemo. I was even working out the day after chemo. Only day I didn't work out was 2 days after chemo… till tx4. I try to walk but I haven't been to the gym since the day before tx 4. I am also bitching and moaning a bit more.

Everyone is different. Don't beat yourself up. This is rough stuff. Just get through you bad days the best you can. Remember this isn't forever. 

Now I'm trying to suck it up too. My last tx is tomorrow… should be excited but to be honest I'm not looking forward to the next 2-2.5 weeks. I know I'll make it though.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited January 2011
    Options

lisaorock, a friend was on Taxol and she said she felt tired the day of treatment, maybe also because of anti-allergy meds, but could resume her normal schedule the next day. Hope you'll feel the way she did.

Juanita, I've also tried to change my life in accordance with the Anti-Cancer book. I've kept with the exercise part of the program and eating more fruits and vegetables. I'll have to reread it to remind myself what else I could be doing.

lago, you're almost there!! Just spoil yourself like crazy and the next two weeks will zoom by.

• coni
    coni Member Posts: 181
    edited January 2011
    Options

Hi ladies! Great tips! I just finished four rounds of AC, and will start taxotere this Friday I'm scared to death, has anyone done this chemo? I wil be doing 4 rounds every 3 weeks, any tips? I have a bit of stubble still left an d I think is slowly growing.. DId any loose more hair during taxotere? And mouth sores issues?

• lago
    edited January 2011
    Options

I just finished 6 rounds of taxotere, carboplatin and herceptin last Tuesday. Yes my hair still continued to fall out but I have read that many other women had their hair start to grow back a little on taxotere. I still have some left though. I did have a sore tongue with a few mouth sores. When I told my onc she had me suck on ice during taxotere. It worked.

Check these threads for more tips on taxotere:

taxotere,carboplatin and herceptin
    Taxotere is a nightmare 

• JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132
    edited January 2011
    Options

Coni check the starting Chem in boards. I know there are ladies in the January 2011 thread with similar Chemo plans, although the december group may be more in line with where you are in the schedule. In either case lots of info and empathy.

Jean

• mtri111
    mtri111 Member Posts: 67
    edited February 2011
    Options

Dear all,

As a researcher, former cancer patient, and a participant at bc.org boards, I have become interested in learning more about patients' reactions to the  information they receive as they are diagnosed and presented with treatment plans that involve chemotherapy.

This interest has led to the development of a survey that asks about experiences with patient education materials provided at oncology centers across the nation.  This is a formal study, and the research protocol has been approved by the Institutional Review Board at Brown University, where I am on the faculty of the Division of Biology and Medicine.

The survey is anonymous and brief.  It will take you about 15 minutes to complete the survey.
    To participate in this research, here is the link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PatientEducationMaterial

Your participation will add to the body of information on this topic and is intended to contribute valuable data regarding patient education materials for oncology patients.

Above all, I hope you are well.

Warmest regards,

Marjorie

• Nico1012
    edited February 2011
    Options

A bump for the Feb. 2011 chemo sistah's.

• Nico1012
    edited February 2011
    Options

Bump

• Nico1012
    edited February 2011
    Options

Le bump.

• Nico1012
    edited February 2011
    Options

Bumpity.

• Nico1012
    edited February 2011
    Options

Bumping along.

• JeanH
    edited February 2011
    Options

Helping the bump

• Nico1012
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thank you so much JeanH!

• Enri
    Enri Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    Options

AC chemo starting Tuesday  - will make good use of the many tips provided by others Thanks to all who contributed!!

• Nico1012
    edited February 2011
    Options

Best of luck to you on your journey, Enri!

• Lawteach
    Lawteach Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2011
    Options

Dear Juanita,

I begin TX with AC-T Mon., Valentine's Day, and share all the fears of everyone here.  I too am using the Anti-Cancer book as my bible. I recommend it to everyone, male + female. I had started reforming my life for a year before Dx, but went thru 3 cancer surgeries in 2 months and was told to concentrate more on healthy protein to get my strength up for dx. I began a blog upon dx which is rather specialized since it has to do with an Integral perspective of body/mind/spirit. 

I am also working daily by phone with a woman who specializes in cell meditation, which is a way for me to integrate my awareness to what is happening on the smallest level.  Whatever the actual effect, I feel better knowing that my entire immune system is aligned with my highest wishes for my health.

This forum is fantastic.  I am so gladf I saw it; I have summarized all of your great ideas and have shopped for many of the products you all have suggested.

deep bow to you all,

Lynne

• coni
    coni Member Posts: 181
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi guys I just finished 4 AC and have moved to 4 taxoteres AC was not to bad just watch out for thrush, nausea, fatigue, nails changed color and of course hairloss that was my main complain...is very double I will keep you guys in my prayers, eat healthy and you guys will be fine...

For thrush eat yogurt, gargle with club soda, im was given nyastin, fluconazole. Always stay on top of the nausea!

• Nico1012
    edited February 2011
    Options

Good reminders, Coni! Thanks for posting!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,173
    edited February 2011
    Options

Re: question about having your period when you begin chemo: A friend of mine said she started hers the day she started radiation (did not need chemo) and that was the last time she ever had one.  She was 46 at the time.  I'm 52 & still having periods (so many people find that surprising) but my onc said they'll be gone once chemo starts.  I had always wondered how my body would process menopause, in the natural way, but I won't ever know now, and it kinda makes me sad.

I begin chemo Feb 16, TC 1x every 3 weeks for 6x; this is prior to any surgery.  I made a shopping list from these postings and will go shopping this weekend for what I need.  It is so helpful to feel that I am prepared in advance for various things that might come up before/during/after treatment.

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136
    edited February 2011
    Options

I had my last regular period in June then a very light one the weekend I started chemo in September. - nothing since then.  I will be 47 this summer.  Not exactly sure how I feel about that.

• JeanH
    edited February 2011
    Options

I thought i was done no period for 6 months, I am also 52 but got one just before starting Chemo and again today 10 days into my first Chemo Cycle.

I was actually looking forward to being done with that phase...especially the cramps but they are back....

jean

• JeanH
    edited February 2011
    Options

bump for feb chemo girls

• Nico1012
    edited February 2011
    Options

JeanH ~ you rock!