Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Illinois ladies facing bc

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited March 2007
    Options
    It was a glorious day here Glendale Hts! The snow has melted enough so I can see the ground. And guess what, I can see my crocus starting to sneak up from the ground. Just green stems, but sure made me happy. Spring is on its way.

Rita: The achiness I felt was in my back, hips, and pelvis. You in the countdown.

LauraGTO: I just love your license plate.

Sending hugs to all my Illinois sisters.

Nicki
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 4,011
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Rita -
    You are the true inspiration and the glue that holds us all together!

Nicki -
    You are so funny with your animated illustrations! LOL And your quote: Boys are stupid! Throw rocks at them...reminds me of a t-shirt my little niece has. It says: Boys eat paste! LOL OMG And thanks, I love my plate too! It was expensive, but some of the funds go back to our cause! Yay! I've gotten the ol' thumbs up from several people on the road. I didn't think to check my bulbs in the garden...will have to put on my golashes and do that! Take care. Oh yeah...I think I just may be visiting Madry soon. - I'll be PMing you - I'm considering an attempt at traveling the reconstruction highway again sometime soon.

-------------------

Everyone -
    Hope your weekend was wonderful! This weather is FAB! Soon I will be putting together a 5k (3 mile) bc walk team. So start thinking about it...they even have a 1 mile walk at the same place and time and there's picnic tables set up so if some of you don't want to walk at all - that's fine too. It would be a great opportunity to meet each other and to generate bc awareness and to receive some well deserved " survivor-pats on the back"!
  • ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Hi Gals!

Laura...your license plate is AWESOME!!!!!!
    Hey, just let us know when you get the walk details. I bet that several of us will be able to join you. As for the Peoria walk, it is in early May so I don't think that I am going to try to organize a team this year. I have quite a bit on my plate right now but will try for next year.

Nicki...the graphics are wonderful!

My daffodils are poking up nice green shoots, too that will shortly bear perky, yellow blossoms. I am so ready for spring!!!!!

The neulasta shot has caused a very achy feeling in my back and pelvis but not the severe pain that I had anticipated. I keep taking Aleve and it controls it pretty well. I hope it only lasts a few days.

Hope everybody enjoyed the weather this weekend and had a good one!! Thanks again for your encouragement.

Rita
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2007
    Options
    rita -
    I am so relieved that you are one step ahead of the body aches. Although, I know it's still unpleasant. That's what it's all about. I am shoulder to shoulder with you at next years Peoria walk...just keep me posted, neighbor! (If you change your mind and want to do it this year - just let me know...I would be there in a heart beat.)
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2007
    Options

Well I changed every clock in this house except my wrist watch. Yes, Im an early riser, but thought it was 4:00am instead of 5:00am. Good thing I got up to go to the bathroom.

Rita: Im hoping the achiness is better today. Mine usually lasted 24 hours then went away. "Sprouts" yes, thats what I was trying to decribe. I must have looked at them 10 times yeserday if not more. Mine will be pink and a pretty purple. Man I love this time of year.

Laura: I missed your walk last year and it looked like so much fun. This time I want to do it, so give us more info. You know my feelings on Madry. I think he's the greatest. So just pm me any time.

Here is hoping you all have a great day. Im hearing its gonna be another beautiful day. I will be driving about all day - Northwest suburbs and North shore. About 4 hours from now I will be driving by Lake Michigan and the Bahai temple on my way to Evanston Hospital (for my job) not cause Im sick. I might even stop and take a walk by the lake.

Enjoy your Monday.

Nicki
  • ritajean
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Have a great day girls! It's supposed to be in the 60's here today. YEAH!!!!!

I'm going to try for a walk this morning with a friend and see how I do. I need to get into some type of exercise routine as I gained another pound this last chemo round.

Nicki, what type of nurse are you??? I admire any nurse. I couldn't do your job but am so glad that we have good people like you who can! Give me 30 junior high kids anyday....but no needles! :-)

Rita
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Rita: OH my! 30 junior high kids - I would be going bonkers!! Im a registered nurse and have worked many different areas in my career. I have a nice easy job now. Im Clinical Nurse Liaison - so I go to different hospitals to evaluate people for sub-acute rehab. Means smoozing with doctors, nurses, and discharge planners. Its alot of driving, but no where near the stress of being a Manager. Got out of management when I was diagnosed.

I gained 30 pounds when I was getting chemo. Once the chemo was over, I lost that weight gain. Its pretty hard to exercise when you getting chemo, but going for a walk on a nice day - that will be nice!

Have a good one.

Nicki
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2007
    Options
    This years walk team is going to be great!

Save the date: Saturday, September 29th.

As soon as I officially register as a team - I'll post all the info. Our team name will once again be: NO SURRENDER
  • scarednancy
    scarednancy Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Hi,
    I would love to walk with you ladies. I live in Mendota, IL which is just a little over an hour from Peoria. My surgeon lives in Peoria.
    Take care,
    Nancy
  • ritajean
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Laura...the date is in my planner for the walk.

Nancy, maybe you, I and some of the other downstate ladies can meet and ride up together! We'll see what develops between now and the end of September!

Rita
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2007
    Options

Its gonna be another grand day here in Illinois. Just wanted to say good morning and hope everyone has a great day.

September 29th? I can do that. Laura - let us know more about it. I get so discouraged with some of the walks now. Everything seems to be a 3 day thing. Which is way too much for me. 3 miles? I can do that.

With the warm temperatures yesterday - the snow is officially gone. I have such a wonderful feeling knowing Spring it just around the corner. Even washed my car - believe me it was pitiful!!

Have a great day

Nicki
  • ritajean
    edited March 2007
    Options
    You're ahead of me, Nicki.....my car needs washed BADLY! I think today is the day. I live down a gravel lane and after the thaws, it's a mess.

Have a good day everybody. I'm feeling pretty good today and am going to go bowl in our little "coffee league" and then for lunch with the ladies.

Catch you all later.
    Rita
  • zkacmom
    zkacmom Member Posts: 146
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Hey Everyone....I just signed up. I live in Normal, IL
    and have IBC stage 2. I will be having my third chemo
    on thursday. It's been a rollercoaster ride for me. Seems
    like something new happens to me. There are days when I don't feel like doing this anymore...But I try to be positive and get through this. There is a light at the end of the tunnel...
    RitaJean....I know you. We were at the Feel Good...Look Good thingie...I felt like crap that night and probably didn't make any sense. It was weird that I saw you on this
    board. I have been lurking for the most part and say your name and picture and thought hey that's the lady I was with
    at the meeting....Hope you are feeling better. I know I am now but after thursday it starts all over again....

Ginny
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Welcome Ginny

Nicki -
    That graphic is hysterical!

Everyone -
    It's soooooooooooooooooooo nice outside! Enjoy!
  • wendypetru
    wendypetru Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Hi to all,

Just wanted to say that I am in agreeement - it is a beautiful day!!! Welcome to Ginny - I am from Champaign, not too far from you.

Laura, I wish I could do the walk. My son will be playing football at the U of I this fall so I don't want to miss a home game. Maybe next time!

Wendy
  • ritajean
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Hey Ginny.....welcome!!! I'm so glad that we connected again. I'm going to PM you! I really enjoyed the evening with you at the Look Good Feel Better session and would love to get together again for a good gab session, cup of coffee, or sandwich.

Come back often. As I'm sure you've noticed, the gals on here are wonderful.

And Laura, I think we'd better enjoy today. They are predicting falling temps and rain for here tomorrow. Maybe you will luck out up there!

Rita
  • JanClare
    JanClare Member Posts: 267
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Hi all,

I just wanted to check in with the Illinois Ladies and tell you that I'm home after my surgery and doing very well. Actually, I've been home since Saturday, but I've had some problems logging in here from my computer. Had to switch to a different machine before the website would let me on.

I've posted about my hospital experience at my blog: http://breastcancerchronicles.wordpress.com/ I'd love for anyone interested to stop by.

I feel very lucky to have had only minor problems while in the hospital and to be feeling so well.

Count me in on the race in Sept! As a matter of fact, I also want to do one of the 2 day or 3 day events they have, just have to decide which one once I feel up to training. I've run/walked marathons in the past for Team N Training, so I feel like this is something I can do in the future for my own disease!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Jan -
    So glad you checked in! You're quite a trooper! I read through some of your blog...will get to more later, but noticed that we have the same gyn! I agree, she's great. Hang in there - glad you'll be doing the walk with us. I might be doing the Avon 2-day in June with one the girls from the Illinois Get Togethers Forum. I'll let you know. Take care. Continue to feel well. You've been through alot. Hope this weather stays!

Rita, ginny, wendy, nicki, everyone -
    Hello!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2007
    Options

Well, I started exercising after work and as a result it has cut into my computer time. BIG time. So I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I'll catch up with you all in the morning. The mornings are mine!!

I'm loving this thread. It keeps growing and growing and growing. I hope you all have a great evening.

And for the heck of it, Im doing a happy dance for all of us!

Nicki
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Nicki -
    You are cracking me up with your graphics! OMG - too funny...
  • ritajean
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Nicki,
    This thread was just plain boring until your graphics came along!!!! I can hardly wait to see what your next one will be!!

Laura, the list of walkers just keeps growing, doesn't it?

JanClare, so glad to hear from you. We'd been wondering how your surgery went. I went to your site and read through some of the entries. Wow gal! You did pretty good! And I loved your pink button.....how very true!!!
    Keep in touch now as you continue healing.

I have spring fever. There is NO DOUBT about it so I hope this upcoming cold front is short-lived. My whole demeanor and morale is sparked by this warmer weather and SUNSHINE! And yes, Nicki, I washed my car on the way home and then dodged the pot holes all the way down the lane. :-)

Everyone have a good day tomorrow!

Rita
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2007
    Options

Good Morning Everyone! I told ya I would catch up with all of you in the morning. My evenings are getting busier and busier and I hate it when I dont have my daily fix on the discussion boards.

Rita: I got a good visual. Melting snow. Gravel lane. Mucky, yucky dirt! My car looked so good, I couldnt where I parked it yesterday. Off course it was right in front of me, only clean. I had to push the button to make the trunk open up to find which car was mine.

Ginney: Howdy! Glad you found this site and hope you keep coming back. Going through chemo was one of the hardest things I had to do in my life. Your in the countdown and you will get through this. And we will help you!

Wendy: Ahh good ol Champaign. Thats where both my husband and I went to college! Brings back some nice memories.

Janclare: Glad your home and your surgery went well. I think we probably live very close to each other. Bet some of us even have the same hospitals and doctors!

Rita and Laura: I just learned how to post pictures, and Im having a blast with it. Hoping it stays nice just one more day. I have to go to Evanston Hospital again today and I so want to walk along the shores of Lake Michigan for my lunch.

Well - time to get ready for work. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Nicki
  • mkayk
    mkayk Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I haven't posted in a long time-trying to get back to a "normal" life-but I have been lurking. Finished #10 of 34 rads today and things are going great. I think this beautiful weather is helping. Took a long walk with my daughter yesterday, but then I needed a nap. Still working on the energy level. It sounds like everyone is doing well. I have the September walk date on my calendar and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone face to face and giving you all a hug. This has been a wild journey and doing the walk with all of you will be one of the highlights(?) to this trip. I didn't take any notes and my memory is shot so here is a cyber hug ((()))to all. Now I need to change laundry loads and start cleaning. Think I will go for a walk instead.
    Mary
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Hi Mary. Nice to meet ya. 1/3 done with rads! whoo hooo. Your in the countdown.

Gotta go eat dinner. I'll catch up tomorrow morning.

Nicki
  • ritajean
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Hi Mary,

Welcome!!!! I'm looking forward to the September walk, too. I feel like I already know several of the ladies on this site. I bet there will be alot of hugging going on that day!!!! :-)

Nicki, did you get your walk in yesterday along Lake Shore Drive? If your temps dropped like ours, I doubt if you will be walking there today. It's cold here this morning.

Yesterday I went shopping for a golf cart and you'll never guess what I found....a Cubs buggy! I wasn't really looking for anything out of the ordinary but spotted this Cubs blue cart and fell in love with it. Like always, I had to ponder my choices, so I think I'll go back and take a better look at it today. I'm also going to start exercising to the "oldies" today in my living room. I have gained 6 pounds since I started chemo and don't think that I've been overdoing the eating issue. E-gads!!!!!!
    My jeans and spring clothes are getting tight. I'm also meeting a friend to walk the Mall. I have to do something about this.

JanClare...hope you're healing well. Your web site is VERY interesting. Hang in there.

Hope everybody is doing well today.

Rita
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Just popping in to say Goord Morning! I am very busy designing several products that are due TOMORROW! Yikes...

Hope you all have a great day!
  • zkacmom
    zkacmom Member Posts: 146
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I had chemo#3 today. It went well. I have been having swelling in my left arm(the side the cancer is). I went to my primary doctor yesterday. I had an ultrasound to rule out a blood clot but since I am on coumadin for another clot, I didn't think that was it. The ultrsound came back negative for a clot. So the doctor wrapped my arm from underarm to just before my wrist. I left on most of the day but by the end of the day, my hand was way swollen.
    So I took it off and thought I would ask the chemo nurses the next day. They talked to my oncologist and suggested I
    see the surgeon I had. So went there this afternoon and he
    is sending me to lymphdema therapy. I start a week from Monday. They suggested I keep my arm up. I don't think I am going to wrap it...
    Anyways, if something new can happen it happens to me.
    Waiting to see what happens next week.....

Ginny
  • ritajean
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Hi there everybody!

Ginny, I was thinking about you today and am glad to hear that the chemo went well. How did your daughter handle the "chemo room?" I'm really sorry that you're having problems with your arm swelling. The side affects that seem to bombard us along this journey are truly overwhelming. Who was your surgeon and where will you have to go for the therapy? Hang in there and call if you just need to vent.

Laura...what type of products do you design?

Well gals, I did something very uncharacteristic for me today. I went looking for a golf cart. I thought I'd try to find a modest second hand cart so I could just drive down the lane to the golf course instead of loading my clubs in the trunk of my convertible, taking them out, etc. Well they had a customized "Cubs" cart. It's Cubbie blue, with white and blue seats trimmed with the red cording and of course it has the words "Cubs" on it. I bought it....just like that! Usually I have to justify "luxury expenditures" to myself, but this time I thought it was an omen. Every time I think of the Cubs, I'm reminded that there's always next year and I certainly want to be reminded about that! Guess that was my justification. When I got home, I really couldn't believe that I'd splurged impulsively. But you know what???? It really looks good sitting in my garage!!!!

Besides still being a little "achy," I'm still doing pretty good today.

Hang in there gals!

Rita
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2007
    Options

Good Morning! Just sitting here sleepy eyed and waiting form my coffee to be done!

Rita: You are one strong woman. I couldnt evercise during chemo. Was way too fatigued. I sure do like exercising to the oldies though. Is it per chance a Richard Simmons tape? Walking is always good. Just dont over due it. You will have lots of time to lose weight when your chemo is done. Oh - and I never did walk by the lake. Temps dropped and back to boots and winter coats!

Laura: Saying howdy back atcha.

Ginney: Man m sorry about the LE. Hoping the therapist will help decrease the swelling. Sometimes it seems like there is always something else to deal with.

Rita: That cart sounds pretty cool.

Ok! I gotta run. Big week-end here. My husband will be playing at pubs all week-end, and I will be doing the Irish Jig - Italian style.

Have a great week-end

Nicki
  • ritajean
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Good morning everybody. It is always nice to log in and see Nicki's graphics for the day. :-)

Yes, Nicki, the oldies tape is a Richard Simmons one that I dug out. Guess that really dates me, doesn't it????

Hope everybody has a good day and weekend. I have nothing that I HAVE to do today so I'm going to be lazy I think. Tomorrow we are heading northwest to Rock Falls to pick up some things of Moms and to clean out her other closets. I'm not looking forward to that, but it needs to be done and once it's done I can put it behind me.

The birds are chirping like crazy here and the sun is out so everybody have a wonderful day.

Ginny....how are you feeling today? Do you need anything or is there anything I can do to help you out?

Rita