Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone starting Chemo in Feb?

Options

Comments

• talbrig13
    talbrig13 Member Posts: 358
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi all....

been very busy, Leah, I am impressed.   You will be wonderful in your new endeavor.

Alyson...My daughter will be in Griffith University - Gold Coast Campus.   Her major is Psychology.   She will arrive mid February 2011.   We have not finalized her flight yet.  She is very excited!

My BIL continues to have rising PSA levels.  They have done bone scan and CT scans, trying to see where the cancer is, but it is just lurking.  He is fighting.

My great Aunt passed on Sunday and within the hour my sister became a grandma.  Such is the circle of life.   Baby Elle is in Myrtle Beach, so my DS flew there yesterday.  

Got to run...off to work.  

• SammieKay
    SammieKay Member Posts: 247
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi all,

Terry, did I  miss news about your daughter going to college near Alyson?

My brother has an elevating PSA as well.  He is supposed to start radiation, however as the VA goes it is slow to give him a voucher to receive the radiation in his hometown.  Otherwise it is a 3 hour drive everyday (that is one way).  He just can't do that.   They are supposed to give him a voucher to have the treatment in his hometown, but it has been a month and still no voucher.  I hope he gets another PSA to be sure it is still going  up.  We will see.

All is well here.  Seems like I work a day or two and then, rest and recover for a day or so.  Then it is time to work again.  But I enjoy my work, get paid well and have medical insurance for my DH (who isn't elgible for Medicare) and supplements my Medicare.  So I am motivated to keep working LOL.

On a sad note, we had to have our 14 y/o Siamese kitty euthanized.  He had diabetes and just became sicker and sicker.  Finally we just had to let him go.  Mike and I cried like babies with him at the vets.  They probably thought we were nuts.  We had had him since he was 6 wks old.  Poor baby, he was so sick.  I really miss him.  We have 3 cats left.  He was the most high maintenance, so leaves a big hole.  RIP Samson.

Hope everyone is enjoying the wonderful Fall weather.  My fav season, Fall. 

Love and hugs to all, Sammie Kay

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi all

Have just been to see 'Farewell' the film Catherine told us about. Wow what a life some people have had, what was it like living in Moscow in those times Catherine??? 

Must away to my bed - I am tired.

Alyson

• talbrig13
    edited October 2010
    Options

Yes, Sammie Kay, Rachel will be  doing a semester abroad in Australia beginning mid-February 2011...coming up very soon.   She will be at Griffith University at the Gold Coast campus.    Alyson tells me she has a relative who teaches there. 

Bill and I are hoping to go visit her Easter week, which is when she has a weeklong break. 

She is so excited.

My Mom, Sisters and I will be taking my great aunt's ashes to Chambersburg Wednesday to be inturred with her late hubby.   He has been gone since 1973.   No formal service, but we will pray, say a few words about great memories and lay her to rest.  

I have  a bunch of doctors to see in the next couple of weeks....skin check, family doc, gyn visit and mammo gram....don't you just get sick of it!   

Well, it is a beautiful fall day here, so I am going outside to my flower beds to clean up, take some geranium cuttings to root for next year, and just "putz" around.

Hope everyone is well and having fun!

Love you all

• leahrc
    leahrc Member Posts: 384
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hello, All....

Heavy into Pink this month. I am surrounded by events to attend and things to read about all things pink...

One interesting show on Discovery Channel is this 4 part series on Triple Negative Breast cancer.. excellent... Here is the first part, once you are on the page, you can find the rest of the segments. About 15 minutes each.  Well done.

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/patient-education-triple-negative-breast-cancer-part-1.html

I am hopeful!  In my pinkness...

Love

• talbrig13
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi Leah...everything is pink here too.   Walked in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk last Saturday.  Attended "Girls Night Out"  which is a fund raising dinner , silent auction, Chinese Auction and live auction to raise money for the breast care center.   

Pink has always been my favorite color, but this month I have mixed feelings.

Love

• Primel
    Primel Member Posts: 652
    edited November 2010
    Options

Hi girls... will not let Pink October end without sending you big hugs and wishing you a gentle winter season.  The summer does not seem to want to go away in Colorado, still very warm days and absolutely gorgeous light, even though the trees after a couple of days of high winds (and a hard freeze or two at night) are shedding their leaves in a hurry.  The most beautiful Fall colors I can remember in 5 years.

The season will be quiet and focused:  I got the contract to translate the book I had been working on for 10 months... big adventure!  And maybe a big turn in my career, too... books are so much more fun than technical manuals...  :)   But now, I'd better not play outside too much, and forget about knitting for a while...

Thinking of you ALL, even though I have not been posting much... I come read about your news several times a week.  I like the quiet of the site, slow news is good news, hopefully...

Take good care of yourselves, don't forget to take PLENTY of vitamin D3... and come say hi!

Love,

Catherine 

• talbrig13
    edited November 2010
    Options

Hi all....just peeking in to say hi.

Diagnostic mammo tomorrow to check on those calcifications....

Beautiful Fall here in Central PA.  

Have a happy day!

• MelanieW
    MelanieW Member Posts: 276
    edited November 2010
    Options

Hello Everyone!  Just wanted to drop in quickly.  I am recouping from a breast revision and hoping it holds.  I used an Arkansas PS this time.  He used Strattice and said there was a lot of work in there.  DH is pulling the drains today...this could be a not so great day.  I bet Carynn is posted in front of the tv watching the race.  We had a small group in Dallas last weekend for the race.  Quite enjoyable.  I am rambling, so I will try to pop in again after I get all this plastic tubing out of me! 

• SammieKay
    edited November 2010
    Options

Big, gentle hugs for you Melanie.  I was wondering about the revision.  I have one implant that doesn't stay in the pocket.  Is Strattice something they use to reinforce and hold them?  I hope you are feeling better.

Seems as if everyone is doing well.  I hope your mammo is clear Terry.  I hope "no news is good news" with you.  Be sure and let us know.

Warm wishes for a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving for all.  Life is busy and happy here.

I am increasing my work to full time again.  I will work 32 hours a week.  That is up from 20.  This saves us $200/month on cost of medical insurance.  DH is willing to pick up the slack at home and actually my work is the least stressful thing I do.  That is both physically and mentally.  So I am happy to be the one to bring in the money. He does so many things around here that save us lots of money, so I don't feel he is "slacking".

We will be having a new granddaughter arriving in January.  Very exciting time for all.

Catherine, are you enjoying your work?  It sounds very exciting. 

Well, I best get to bed.  Seeing docs tomorrow.  Just routine checkups with them.

Hugs and warm wishes for a wonderful holiday for all my fellow "cruisers".

Love you, Sammie Kay Beeson aka Kay Taylor Beeson on FB

• Alyson
    edited November 2010
    Options

Just passing by whilst waiting on DD to come for Bea who has been here since Playgroup this morning and I had her there as well.

Hope all is well with everyone and that you are feeling better Melanie.

Have my operation to repair hiatus hernia on Thursday so think of me as you eat your wonderful turkey dinners cause I will be on a soft diet for several weeks.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

• leahrc
    edited November 2010
    Options

Hello, All!

A very happy Thanksgiving holiday to the people for whom I am very grateful!

I have a lot to be thankful for this year... another year of remission, friends who love me, a job which I like most of the time, and a wonderful daughter and mom and brothers...

I send thanks each day into the Universe for a beautiful sunrise or a warm day or just that I opened my eyes again today... 

Scan is Monday, and I am even grateful for the technology!

Love you all, 

Leah

• talbrig13
    edited November 2010
    Options

Thinking of you Alyson....It is probably Thursday there by now.  

Leah....I know your scan will be good.   And yes, we are all thankful for the technology, even though it can be worrisome and a pain. 

My Mammo was uneventful and nothing new showed up, so I am off the hook there until May.   Don't have any testing until January, when I have a chest xray and bloodwork and an onc appt. 

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, my dear friends.

• Primel
    edited November 2010
    Options

Thinking of you all... Alyson, you'll be able to share Bea's baby food for a while, I understand... ;-)

Hope everything goes well, and that your stomach burns will be history soon.  Enjoy your summer days... 5F tonight here!!

Leah, Melanie, Terry, SammieKay and everybody else, Happy Thanks Giving wherever you are.... Love your post, Leah...

Take care, sisters!!

Catherine

• CommandoBarbie
    CommandoBarbie Member Posts: 474
    edited November 2010
    Options

Happy Thanksgiving!!

• Primel
    edited November 2010
    Options

Alyson, how are you doing?  How did the procedure go? How is the baby food? 

And Leah, your stomach is ok?

Hi, Carynn... Nice seeing you here... How do you feel?  Is the RA giving you a break?  Still working hard like Leah on your computer projects?

Marsha, Vegas, Hillary... hello everybody...

Sending warm hugs,

Catherine 

• Alyson
    edited November 2010
    Options

Hi all

Things went well and managing to keep on top of the pain. Waiting for DH to come home from church and will have a shower. The baby food is OK but not really keen on eating at all.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.

ALyson

• talbrig13
    edited November 2010
    Options

Glad you are doing well, Alyson!   Enjoy pureed carrots and applesauce!

• Primel
    edited December 2010
    Options

Hi all... maybe I spoke too fast the other day: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/prevention/vitamin-D#q8

who can we believe, who truly knows anything?  Yell

• leahrc
    edited December 2010
    Options

HI, all.

Had  a PET on monday, no Pet CT. The liver is much improved- no aura anymmore. Bad news is that they see something in the lungs. Despite my telling them that I was sick for two weeks with a nasty chest cold, I am scheduled for a CT today of that area.  Pooh.

Will keep you updated. As I said, I have a love-hate relationship with this technology!!!!

Love.

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited December 2010
    Options

Bump

• talbrig13
    edited December 2010
    Options

Leah....How are you?

• SammieKay
    edited December 2010
    Options

I haven't visited here in awhile and wondering how everyone is doing? 

Leah, how are you?  Concerned and hoping they were overly concerned.  I know what you mean about the technology.  Hope we hear from you soon.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.  I hope to get some cards out soon.

I have been working fulltime and it is hard for me to get anything extra done.  Call me a whimp.

Hugs and love to all, Sammie Kay

• leahrc
    edited December 2010
    Options

Hey, ALL..

OMG, I didn't realize that I never circled back with you guys. I thought I had...

Nothing to be seen on the lungs after taking another day to go into Boston. Bronchial inflammation, which is what I told them since I had been SICK two weeks before for two weeks...

anyway, I am going to pop in for a chest xray early in Jan just to make sure, but no follow-up.

But here is the best news:  next scan is JULY... it feels like forever, and the reality of it is that that might be the only scan in 2011.  Isn't that just the best news???

Work sucks, and I was killing myself for a while, but things will slow down to a crawl like this week. I am taking today off just to screw off, and then I have a nice dinner planned with a special friend.

I have to start reading some massive grant proposals very very soon, so looking forward to that.

My mom turns 80 next month, so I am going down to VA for that, and then the end of the month is the grant decision sessions, also in DC.  There is a company pursuing me for hire, so I may be flying to San Jose for a few days in Jan. also.  Who knows???

But I am looking forward to 2011, and am so so thankful that we are all here to enjoy it and that we have lost no other cruisers. That is a real blessing.

Much love.

• SammieKay
    edited December 2010
    Options

Great news Leah.  Thanks for letting us know.  Makes it an even Merrier Christmas.

Amen sister about not losing any other cruisers.

San Jose, hmmmm, sounds lovely.

Hugs, Sammie Kay

• Primel
    edited December 2010
    Options

Hi everybody!  Happy Holidays to all... Here is something uplifting:

http://www.choralnet.org/view/268945

Enjoy... there is hope with the new generations...

Laughing

Catherine

• Alyson
    edited December 2010
    Options

Hope you all have a great Christmas - its only an hour and a half away here.

We have had a very special evening tonight. Took Bea to the children's service at the cathedral, where she tried to steal Baby Jesus from the nativity play. Everyone just laughed as DD took her out of the stable with Bea crying ' I want baby Jesus'. The doll was one Bea has played with at Mainly Music and so thought she could have it tonight. Then Mary carried it out holding on to it by one leg!! I had forgotten how funny children's nativity plays can be. We came home home and had dinner - what a ham I even managed a little piece. We opened some of our presents so that Bea can have then spread out a bit. The one she liked the most was a play tent that I got for a few dollars at a sale earlier in the year.

We are hoping for a warm day tomorrow and there was a beautiful sunset tonight.

So Christmas blessing to you all - another year has gone so it is nearly four years ago that we were starting this journey.

Big hugs

Alyson

• Primel
    edited December 2010
    Options

Leah, Terry, Hillary, Melanie (?)... How are you faring girls?  Stay warm!! 

Wishing you all a Happy New Year,  and 2011 "not worse," that would be already not so bad  :)

Love, 

Catherine 

• CommandoBarbie
    CommandoBarbie Member Posts: 474
    edited December 2010
    Options

Hi girls!

I have been / am under the weather with a very nasty virus since before Christmas. This is really a doozy!

I wanted to pop in and wish you all a very Merry, but belated Christmas and holiday season, and a very happy, healthy New Year!

Talk to you soon!

xoxo 

• Alyson
    edited December 2010
    Options

Happy New year, it is 15 minutes into 2011 here in NZ. Hope this year goes well.

Alyson