Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone starting Chemo in Feb?

Options

Comments

• SammieKay
    SammieKay Member Posts: 247
    edited January 2011
    Options

HAPPY  NEW YEAR TO ALLCool

I hope that all of you are having a really happy 2011 so far.

Things are going well here.  I am working and DH is home cooking, shopping for groceries and doing the laundry.  That works for me.  I have a wife Ha Ha.  He is a honey and all the things he does are such a great help for me.

Catherine, how is the work going?  Sounds so exciting.

Caryn, hope you are feeling better by now.

Gosh, Alyson sounds like the floods in Australia are horrible. Are you recovered from your surgery.  I think I have a hiatal hernia too.  I need to eat smaller meals more often.

Leah, any decisions on the job front?

Terry, are you back at work?  Guess all the college students are still on break, right?  I know you have enjoyed having them home.

Melanie, is your recon all healed?  Are you happy with the outcome? 

I don't think I will ever be real happy with mine, although it is 100% better than the first surgery.  The surgeon who did my last surgery has a Fashion Show every year using his patients as models.  We get the clothes from Dillards.  Wore a  casual outfit and a formal outfit.  I participated and it was fun.  I will send you the link to the photog's website when he gets the pictures up.  It was interesting.  There were 2 breast cancer recons and 2 gastric bypass patients with 100 + weight loss and then several augmentations and a few tummy tucks etc.  We had a great time.

Well, better go get caught up on the Sugar Bowl and go to sleep.  Work tomorrow.

Hugs all round.  Love you all.  Sammie Kay

• Primel
    Primel Member Posts: 652
    edited January 2011
    Options

Happy New Year to you, sweet SammieKay... we have the sun glasses on here, too... but nights are nippy... brrr...  Your fashion show sounds like a lot of fun.  I like the way you talk about your "wife"... ;-)

Enjoy the situation, sounds you're getting the best of both worlds...

Life is good here, busy... over 2/3rd done on the book, everyone seems happy with the first 300 pages... even had to give an opinion on possible cover today...it's fun!  The book should be out in June, will let you know... I have big book projects for 2011,  very excited...  Just not looking forward for checkup time on the 17th of this month... always a bit scared.

Melanie, what happened with the birds?? !!

Carynn, poor thing, sounds like you got really sick... out of the wood yet?  Can you work from home?

A little roll call would be nice to catch up with everybody "from the beginning"... houhou... out there, stop by and tell us you're doing ok, stable, not worse...

Thinking of you all always, just not posting that much, with all my daily pages to translate... delivery date is in 1 month... I don't think I'll be done, but close enough...

Take care, y'all...

Love, Catherine 

• Primel
    edited January 2011
    Options

Translate 3 lines, knit three rows... results: behind on all fronts...  This is for my sister's second grandson (2 weeks old)... 

Wink

Photobucket" mce_src="" alt="" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height="" align="" />

" mce_src="Photobucket" alt="" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height="" align="" />

Photobucket" mce_src="" alt="" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height="" align="" />

• talbrig13
    talbrig13 Member Posts: 358
    edited January 2011
    Options

Oh Catherine!   How very precious!   I am impressed.    I am only up for knitting dish rags.   I actually made all the girls at work one for Christmas.   My thing to do when the boys are watching football and hockey.

Sorry I have been away.  Just busy with work and the holidays.  Now concentrating on getting Rachel ready for her big trip to Australia.   She leaves Pittsburgh on Feb 10th and arrives in Brisbane on Feb 12th.   She has a mid semester break April 25th for a week and Bill and I are hoping to go over and see her.   I really have to get researching that trip too.

Hope everyone is feeling better from all the flu, colds, surgeries, etc.    May we all have a safe, healthy and happy 2011!

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited January 2011
    Options

Hi all just to say check up today, mammogram amd ultrasoundof area above mastectomy scar line. some changes in tissue but BS wants to wait and see. I can call if it gets 'worse'. She is hoping its not some lymph node activity. Will have scan if no change in 3 months. I am actually quite happy about this as BS is one of the best here.

It has been very hot and very humid here recently. Do hope we get rain tonight.

Terry let me know when you will be in Brisbane - you might just be able to travel via Auckland but if not I might be able to get to Brisbane.

Hope its not too cold in your part of the world.

• MelanieW
    MelanieW Member Posts: 276
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hello everyone!!!  This my second attempt at a post and I left a few things out after I lost the first one as i was attempting to "submit"....grrrrrr.

Leah;  I almost called you again today. I hate being "cooped up".  I am such a weather wuss.  I can't see how you have made it through 70 inches....snow of course Wink.

Catherine;  I sent you an email...hope you got it!  The outfit is adorable!  How did you find the time?

Terry:  I hope you get to meet Alyson.  She's plumb adorable...

Alyson;  Glad you are happy with your BS.  Please keep a close check!

Sammie;  We went to the Sugar Bowl.  Ate lots of oysters...yum.  I played the washboard with a band.  Game was depressing.  I don't think I will ever be completely happy with my reconstruction, but I am close.  Love my PS.  I do need to work on the flat "fipples"...told him they have to be "user friendly".  He got a laugh out of that.

Barbie Doll;  I am going to Daytona!  Charity auction purchase and the guys will be honorary crew chiefs for Kyle Bush.  I have a friend that got us girls garage passes, but we are pretty interested in rest and relaxation.   Hope it's warm!

Vegas;  Check in girl!

We just returned from Hawaii yesterday.  10 days with Natalie!  We had a blast with her, but I think it will be many years before we do that again.  Her parents were apprehensive about her going, but she did pretty good.  She is just so stronged willed and I don't have as much patience as I once did...or energy.   We did move 4 times, so that was difficult with all the packing/unpacking.  Fortunatley, we are able to fly first class, so they really catered to the only 5 year old!

February is such a bittersweet month for me.  I am so thankful for my relationships with everyone here, but I always find myself thinking of Twilah.  I miss her. 

Love you all....

"Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would I'd never leave."   Pooh Bear

• leahrc
    leahrc Member Posts: 384
    edited February 2011
    Options

Missing Twilah ... happened to have lost two other BC sisters this week.  Bad one ...

3 years ago last week we started on the treatments..  lots to remember.

Love

• talbrig13
    edited February 2011
    Options

I think of Twila everytime I look at my little piggie.   I do miss her wonderful posts!

My daughter Rachel is now in Australia.   She has called to say all is well, no internet until this weekend, when she gets to her university.   

Now I need to look into our trip in earnest.  

It is warming up here this week....but it will be awhile until we see the bare ground.   Our driveway hill is a sheet of ice.   Put the car in neutral and aim for the bridge!   Ah, the joys of winter.  

Hope you all had a nice Valentine's Day!

Love,

• leahrc
    edited February 2011
    Options

Good morning, all.

I have been in the usual winter funk. One can get suicidal here in New England, I swear. But there have been some highlights:

I had the most empowering experience of my life at the Dept. of Defense grants awards. To have scientists in BC research praise your work and to have your words included in the "summary" that goes up to the next level is quite amazing.  We spent 3 intense days reviewing over 50 grants. There is a very precise process to ensure fairness and that all get the same level of review, and that in itself is impressive. (I hear it is different at NIH).  But anyway, I was evaluating applications in an area where you had to know tumor biology, and I learned tons!  The good news is that they are trying very hard to understand all the things that signal mollecular level activity to start up... the bad news is that they are very far away from having the definitive answers about how to prevent or interrupt these signals.  But I came away extremely hopeful that a cure will someday be found. And I was thrilled to be a part of this.  Your favorite overachiever (me!) will probably be invited back to do it again, and I will happily accept.

I spend a lot of time reading about health systems so that I can be intelligent about the present health care reform debate.  I think we are at the wrong end of all this- rather than worrying about the Supreme Court challenge about whether a person can be 'forced' to BUY health insurance, we need to be about giving everyone their card at birth and taking care of them for lfe. I am becoming a proponent of a system like Canada or UK or Australia.  Our system sucks from a standpoint of having it tied to your employment and to the choices some random HR person makes about your health care.  It should be the same for everyone, and paid for by taxes. End of story.

I spent all of last weekend at a local community hospital not in the Boston area cuz I fainted and got taken to the ER.  They wouldn't let me out till they ruled out heart issues, which the overworked staff forgot to order- not once, but twice.  It was not pretty when I found all that out and took charge of the whole damn process myself after 30 hours of nothing happening. Piss me off.... my echo was perfect though and I am quite relieved about that (my family dies of heart disease, not cancer!)

The weather sucks, work sucks, my personal life could use a few fixes, but I AM ALIVE and happy to be so!

Much love to Terry, Catherine, Melanie, Alyson and to our ever absent buddies Hilary and Marsha.  Love you guys...

• Alyson
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi all

Just come by to say my BS just rang to say my scan was clear, swelling on chest probably fibrosis from lymphoedema. So releaved. Will ring LE Pt soon.

Leah have you looked at NZ health system, something between UK and Canada a mix of public and private. What really shocks me is that people can be turned away because they cannot pay. Things might take time here but if you need treatment you get it.  Hope the weather clears soon.

Have spent most of the day watching about the earthquake. Hace just been chatting to my nephew, he was right in the centre near the very badly damaged buildings but was fine. his house is fine and so they have set their computer business up there.

Big hugs to all.

• talbrig13
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi Alyson....I have been thinking about you and hoping your family is all fine after the quake.   Glad to hear your nephew is fine.  

Rachel is in Gold Coast....having orientation this week.   She will be working on her subjects for her minor in Sociology...she is having a ball!   Sent lots of pictures.  

We are trying to plan our trip within a tight budget and it seems it is more expensive than we had thought.   I will let you know our plans. 

Leah...I am impressed !    Now I kind of know someone famous!    Winter has been suicidal here in Central PA also.   We had 12 inches of snow on Monday night, after a week of over 50 degrees that melted most of what we had.   Now we start over. 

Hope everyone else is well ....

Love

• SammieKay
    edited February 2011
    Options

So glad to hear that your scans were all clear Alyson. WooHoo...

I have been thinking about all of you snowbound buddies.  Jan from OK has posted many beautiful photos she has taken.  Her horses and the snow are beautiful.  But oh what work to keep them fed and healthy.  She is quite the accomplished photographer. 

Catherine, how is work?  We have so many talented folks on this board. 

Melanie, I concur with you regarding reconstruction.  Mine is much, much better after the redo, but far from looking "normal".  I don't want anymore surgery or anesthesia, so will have to be satisfied.  Looks fine in clothing, but nude, not so much.

Just lost one of my daughters classmates from high school to Melanoma.  So sad.. He was 52.

Our new granddaughter is adorable.  We haven't been able to spend much time with her due to sickness,  DH and I have had an upper respiratory virus.  Mine wasn't so bad as far as symptoms went, but the low grade temp left me feeling really weak. Went back to work yesterday and had to come back home.  Will try again next week.

Hugs and love to Alyson, Caryn, Terry, Melanie, Jan, Catherine, Hilary, Marsha and Leah.

• Primel
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi, everybody... so nice to read your news... I Skype (messaging) with Leah and Alyson, so I keep up with them, but not the rest of you.  Terry, I see you on line sometimes, but not sure this is you (kids? DH?).

I've been so busy... could not come as often, but did not forget ANY of you :)

Had my 6-month checkup in Jan. and was fine. 

I have been translating my Cold War story for the last 6 months...and today... TADA!! delivered!! 

You can google AmazonCrossing (one word) and click on the book Farewell... then you'll access info about "authors"... :)  I am ecstatic, never did something so big (475 pages).  I'll get the editor's corrections in March, and the book will be presented at the London bookfair where Russia is the "market focus" (how poetic!) this year... great timing for the author who got invited to present his spy books...  

I am going to relax some before I get on my next project... House cleaning and laundry are urgent items!!  And DH misses my cooking... although WF fed us decently...

I intend to enjoy Spring gardening (at some point... still too early)...  Need to get back into shape, too... sitting at the "puter" all day is not a great recipe for fitness... I kept walking the dogs, though...

Well guys, sending hugs to ALL... TTYL

Take care,

Catherine 

• leahrc
    edited March 2011
    Options

Just popping in to say Hi! to everyone. 

Might have some good news by the end of the week re: new job.  We'll see.

Other than that, it was a fluke 55 today, but I will take it.  three inches of rain overnight, but NO SNOW!!!

Going to go to hawaii for the first time in April.  I CAN"T WAIT. 

My daughter and I are having a lovely relationship recently. Hope it lasts.  Someone told me they grow up eventually... I can see it!

Love you all.  Send good energy about the job.  I want to go back to what I did before, and this is would be just that.
    Diagnosis: 12/29/2006, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, 15/19 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

• Primel
    edited March 2011
    Options

I love your news, Leah...  Hawai... hm... sounds awfully good.  Nice to read that your DD is growing up... ;-) 

Keeping my fingers crossed for your job...

Hugs to all,

Catherine

• SammieKay
    edited March 2011
    Options

Wow Catherine.  I found your book on amazon.  I will be ordering it.  I am trying to decide if I want to buy a Kindle.  Talk about knowing someone famous.  We have another one in Catherine.  I can't wait to read the novel. 

All is well here.  Working and enjoying the grandchildren.  We walked about 6 blocks to the elementary school and took a picnic lunch and let them play on the playground.  They had a great time.  When they came back over this evening, Jackson who is 3, said "Gammie, can go for a picnic again"?  His little eyes just lit up.  I begged off due to darkness. LOL. 

Leah, any job news?  I sure hope you get the job you want. My daughters are my best friends.  They grow up and usually become very close.  I have never been real controlling with them   I give them alot of space and it seems to have paid off.  They always want to share the good news of their lives.  My DGS is graduating and getting many offers for colleges.  He is VERY smart.  Off the charts for the tests.  He made a perfect score on the ACT and near perfect on the SAT.  Wants to be a genetic engineer. He is interested in CA research.  Wants to figure out why his two grandmothers have BC.  Bless his heart.

I read news from Jan, Caryn and Terry on  FB.  I need to get Skype put on my new laptop so I can visit with Catherine, Alyson and Leah.  I never connected with Melanie.  It makes such a difference hearing a person's voice.  I want to be able to talk to our new grandbaby as she grows.  she is 2 and a half months now.  They are coming for a visit next week.

Well I have rambled enough.  Miss hearing from everyone.

Hugs and love to Caryn, Terry, Leah, Melanie, Catherine, Jan, Alyson, Marsha, and all of the dear friends I have had the privilege to make here.  Sammie Kay

• leahrc
    edited March 2011
    Options

Good morning!

Perfect job is MINE!  I start the 28th.  Finally back to doing what I do best.

After spending 8+ years fixing other people's Oracle installations, I will be on the DESIGN side of this implementation, which hopefully will go live Feb 1, 2012. I am very excited.

Some of the side perks are 12 mile commute, onsite fitness center and they actually Build things in Massachusetts.  I am a very happy girl! 

Love to all.

• Primel
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hurray!! Congrats, Leah!  Boy, you must be ecstatic!  Good for you...  at last some good news in this sea of despair (very "down" at the sight of what Japan is going through, and the nuclear situation... what a nightmare... the Apocalypse for these people.)

Hi, Sammie Kay, glad to read your good family news.  (btw, the book is NOT a novel; it is non fiction, true Cold War story, investigative journalism, but the reality goes beyond fiction in this one, so... certainly the stuff to write a novel, but the authors are journalists and script writers).

Where is everybody?  I am not a FB fan, I've read too much about dictatorships all my life, and I see that as the best place where to start for repressing people... since you know so much about them  :(  )  But of course we also know how critical it is to keep people informed and organized in case of disaster...

Where is Vegas?  How are you all doing out there, "strangers"?  Come say hi, just 10 sec.

Planning to clean a lot of leaves in the yard (for the compost machine) as I see little green things trying to make their place in the sun.  I walk more, especially since the weather is gorgeous.  And I even made blueberry pancakes this morning for DH who has been very patient with me while I was totally absorbed by the translation.  

Thinking of you all every day... four years already... since we all looked like martians... Take care all, have a great week, and Leah, start packing for the new office!!  Does this change your Hawaian plans? 

Love to all, Catherine 

• MelanieW
    MelanieW Member Posts: 276
    edited March 2011
    Options

Catherine;  I am going to order the book...maybe I can find a little time in Hawaii to get started on it!  I am going back because my nephew is getting married.  Fortunately, Leah's new job has the "Hawaii clause" in it Cool.  Anyone that wants to join us...I have plenty of room!  I am looking forward to the girl time and just hanging out and relaxing. 

Sammie;  I have Natalie this week for Spring Break.  Today we went to a drive through Safari.  So much fun!  The baby animal barn had a little monkey in a diaper that jumped all over us...loved chewing on my iphone...lol.  My energy is zapped...but I love doing these things. 

Alyson;  Didn't catch you in time to Skype last night...you left too quick!  I hope your dental appointment was an easy one.  How is little Bea?  Tell me what she is up to right now!

Terry;  So when will you head to NZ?  Will it be during nice weather? 

Carryn;  Did you make to the race?  You guys really should join us in Dallas.  This April the Sprint race will be on a Sat night, then I will head to Hawaii on Sunday.  Will meet up with Leah in Phoenix. 

Thinking of you all....

• Alyson
    edited March 2011
    Options

Great to see you here Melanie. Yes I was rushinh out when I saw you come on to skype. Dentist went fine  though I di have a broken tooth lat week grrrr!

Thought you all might like to see a 2 year old Bea after her Monday, post Music and Movement  fluffy.  A 'fluffy' is what children her have in a cafe - a coffee free latte so fluffy milk with chocolate on top hence the ring of chocolate round her face. I take her to M&Ms to give her mother a little rest. Baby 2 is due, well over due now so I have her quite a bit at present.

This has been complicated by MiL who had a car accident on Monday and has broken her hip!!! Have spent all week at the hospital.

I had better get dressed and see what I have to do today.

• Alyson
    edited March 2011
    Options

Just to say my new grandson arrived yesterday. Samuel Frederick 8lb 10oz by c section. He got a bit stuck.

Thought my special friends might like to see the new addition. He was an early birthday present.

• talbrig13
    edited March 2011
    Options

Congratulations Alyson!   You are truly blessed.   

I on the other hand, only have grand-dogs!  

Enjoy your new addition!

• Primel
    edited March 2011
    Options

Eh, Alyson, you're beaming!  What a cuttie, this baby boy!...

... and upcoming Happy Birthday!!!

No travelling all over the world, this year... you'll have plenty to be busy with... I bet Bea is in complete amazement with this little baby brother of hers...

Take care, all... Hope your MIL is recovering ok.

See you on Skype soon!

Hi, Terry!  How are you doing? 

Have all a nice Sunday and a great week

• Primel
    edited April 2011
    Options

How is everybody?

Leah, Melanie... surfing the big waves?

Nothing special to report here, working on another (much smaller) book and enjoying some preliminary gardening (we woke up with a dusting of snow, and had real rain last night!).

Marsha, if by any chance you come read the posts every once in a while, I saw you in my dreams a few days ago: you were as funny as ever, making a documentary film about two neat women working in a locally famous icecream parlor (don't ask me the names, I wouldn't know).  It was sunny and warm, so it must have been in Florida...  I hope so much that your life is not too difficult.

Sending hugs and warm wishes to all,

Catherine 

• SammieKB
    SammieKB Member Posts: 164
    edited April 2011
    Options

This will be short as it is hard for me to type lying down.

Sounds like everyone is having a great time.  Hawaii sounds fantastic.  Enjoy Melanie and Leah.  I am jealous.

The new grandson is adorable Alyson.

I fell on my deck about 3 weeks ago and hurt my knees and felt a twist in my back.  Long story short, been having much back pain.  Had MRI and back  and rib xrays last week.  I have compression fractures at 2 spinal levels as well as the spinal stenosis, which as grown worse.  So will be scheduling back surgery as soon as possible.  Will be running all this by my onc. as well.  I understand the surgery can be done by the new non-invasive method.

Take care all and I will be in touch.

Hugs and Love, Sammie Kay

• Primel
    edited April 2011
    Options

Oh, SammieKay, SammieKay... so sorry to read this... you did not need more pain... Hoping for surgery soon and the pain gone!

Sending hugs, dear SammieKay,

Catherine

• Alyson
    edited April 2011
    Options

Happy Easter.

Would love to share my Easter cake with you. 

A little girl with her chocolate rabbit and her Easter bonnet.

Trying to get one of GS but can't get link to work

Worked that time but not a great photo.

Big hugs to all

• SammieKay
    edited May 2011
    Options

I love your cakes and the grandchildren are precious.  I hope everyone  had a blessed Easter.

I am getting along o.k.  I am in a big back brace,  It helps with the pain.  I hope  to return to work on Mon.  The surgeon says that I must wear the brace for three weeks in order to get insurance approval for the surgery.

The brace is real bulky and heavy.  But I will wear it as it relieves the pain.  The only comfortable position is lying down.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone.
    Hugs to all, Sammie Kay

• Primel
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi, SammieKay... you had surgery or you are getting ready for it?  In anycase, sending my best for subdued pain...

and since it is Mother's Day, I hope that those it applies to had a good one:

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9479342&server=vimeo.com&show_title=0&show_byline=0&show_portrait=0&color=00ADEF&fullscreen=1

• SammieKay
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day Weekend.

The surgeon recommended that I wear the brace for 4 to 6 weeks more. Ugh!  I told him I would give it a try.  Then I returned to work and had terrible pain.  Taking 2 pain pills every four hours to control pain.  I am going to call the surgeon on Tues. and set the date for the procedure.  He told me he would schedule the procedure if I found the pain too much to bear.  I just can't believe it is good for me to have to take so much pain medications.

I understand there was a big disappointment for fans of JR today at the races. 

Love and hugs to all.  Sammie kay