Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Success Stories!

Options

Comments

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    edited April 2017
    Options

All you ladies that are 8-9 yrs out . What secrets do you have you can share . Any special diets, exercise . How do you keep that positive attitude. Does BC still consume your everyday or does that get better ?. Any tips, in-site you can give would be so appreciated .

Thanks

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,026
    edited April 2017
    Options

Here are some of my tips: Food, I love food and eat what I want, but I do keep my weight in a normal range and try to eat relatively healthy. Exercise is a great natural mood enhancer and is the biggest non-medical thing you can do to REDUCE your chance of recurrence. I am very, very committed to exercise (if you want to have some exercise buddies, check out the Let's Post Our Daily Exercise thread on the Fitness Forum, a great group of ladies at every stage of treatment & beyond, and every fitness level too). Shop; go buy a new wardrobe, get a new hairstyle/color, when you look good, you do feel better. Travel; go some places you've been wanting to see and do things you've been wanting to do. Commit; sign up for a class, join a choir, learn Chinese, volunteer, when you are busy doing/thinking of other things then there is not as much time to think about cancer. It is also a good time to get OUT of things that you do not want to be doing any more! Schedule worry: decide how much time you will worry about this (one hour a day or whatever) and after that you have to go do something else. Relaxation techniques: I have quite a few Ocean Waves, soft music etc. CDs that I play, also a self hypnosis stress reduction CD that works remarkably well. Other things: I rarely drink alcohol, and if I do indulge, never more than one or, at the most, two drinks in an evening. I also take a daily low dose aspirin, which may reduce recurrence risk (check with your doctor before starting that).

It is weird because at first cancer and thinking about cancer consumes you; but if you are busy living an active and interesting life; one day it will be noon, or bedtime, and you will (much to your surprise) realize that you haven't thought about cancer all that day. And time will eventually give you a physiological distance....kind of like childbirth maybe, I remember that it was painful but I don't remember the pain itself.

• lrwells50
    lrwells50 Member Posts: 74
    edited April 2017
    Options

This is a great thread!

My mother was diagnosed in 1974 at age 56 and had a radical mastectomy and radiation. 8 years later she had it in the remaining breast, and had another mastectomy. She died at age 86 of complications from COPD. I wish I knew what kind of cancer it was.

• kiascia
    kiascia Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2017
    Options

bump

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited April 2017
    Options

Very wise advice, Ruthbru. Thank You for posting.

• Nico1012
    edited April 2017
    Options

Bumping for Brenda ~

• Srh242
    Srh242 Member Posts: 139
    edited May 2017
    Options

bump

• Nico1012
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thank You, Srh242, it is so important to keep this at the TOP :)

• Srh242
    edited July 2017
    Options

yes bum

• pure0323
    pure0323 Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2017
    Options

bump

• Srh242
    edited July 2017
    Options

Bump cause we all need Hop

• HoneyBeaw
    edited July 2017
    Options

Bumping.............please post your stories

• carmelle
    carmelle Member Posts: 133
    edited July 2017
    Options

bumping...

• Nico1012
    edited July 2017
    Options

Diagnosed in April '08 ~ Stage 3, ER Pos, Her2 Neg, 5 Positive nodes, chemo and rads ~ 9 years out and still going strong! :)

• HoneyBeaw
    edited July 2017
    Options

Nico

Thank you so much for posting.....its gives us all hope............Me hope of watching my grandbabies grow up

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited July 2017
    Options

Nici love hearing this and keep going please!

• tzoul
    tzoul Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2018
    Options

thank you all for your posts

please do not forget to mention survivors with many nodes positive

it would be very helpful....

• beach2beach
    beach2beach Member Posts: 245
    edited August 2017
    Options

Bump for everyone who needs to feel positive on this 1st day of August!

• Srh242
    edited August 2017
    Options

Bumping up

• carmelle
    carmelle Member Posts: 133
    edited September 2017
    Options

bumping!

• Nico1012
    edited September 2017
    Options

Bumping for Conceta ~

• gwendolendenise
    gwendolendenise Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2017
    Options

Love this! Every time I feel a little down I come here to read stories. Gives me so much hope! God bless all your ladies

• Nico1012
    edited October 2017
    Options

gwedolendenise ~ We are all about HOPE here, please stop back and share your SUCCESS story with us!

• AliceS
    AliceS Member Posts: 74
    edited October 2017
    Options

Have a neighbor who was Estrogen positive with 19 nodes involved in 1989 (28 years ago). She beat the odds as her doctor reminds her every time she goes for her annual. BUT--statistics ARE getting better and more people ARE beating the odds with new treatments.

Also, have a friend who is HER2 positive, -er -pr (like I am) also known as Her2 neu and stage 4 (15 nodes infected from the beginning) with spots on her liver and in abdomen. She's on Herceptin, Perjeta for life and has rounds of Taxotere twice. Kadcyla only kept her NED the first couple of years (before Perjeta) Diagnosed 2010, right now NED. Her oncologist is the same as mine, but she also goes to MD Anderson every 6 months and has PET scans regularly. Feels great, very positive, involved in many outside interests and volunteering.

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited October 2017
    Options

Thanks for sharing that Alice!

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    edited October 2017
    Options

Love these stories! Need to share our families success story...my maternal grandma first diagnosed with breast cancer in right breast in 1970. Had a masectomy. 13 years later in 1983, found cancer in left breast. She was 64 at this time. Again had a masectomy. No chemo, rads, etc. either time. My Grandma lived to age 93! And passed away from old age in 2011. She was stubborn and feisty and so am I! ;)

• live_deliciously
    live_deliciously Member Posts: 183
    edited November 2017
    Options

awesome. Stay stubborn and fiesty. Keep the beast at bay....

• ToughCookie101
    ToughCookie101 Member Posts: 119
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thank you all! I was recently diagnosed at 33, these are the kinds of boards I need to stick to

• DxAt37
    DxAt37 Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2018
    Options

that’s the best thread yet!

I am newly diagnosed and it gave me so much hope

• HoneyBeaw
    edited January 2018
    Options

Tough cookie

I agree, stick to the positive boards. Some of the boards can scare the crap out of you and while I hate to say it some can just be so negative.. I love the long time survivor boards, only wish more would post on them as they do give me so much help. But as others have said many long termers are out there living life and just don't think about these boards anymore .