Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Success Stories!

Options

Comments

• 32B
    32B Member Posts: 186
    edited February 2019
    Options

:)

• Nas
    Nas Member Posts: 76
    edited February 2019
    Options

congratulations 32B❤️❤️❤️ It’s a new chapter in ur life, enjoy every single second of it❤️❤️

• SnowFlower100
    SnowFlower100 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2019
    Options

The mother of one good friend of my fiancé had cancer when she was young, got treated, and delivered the friend of my fiancé. She is now still alive :)

• SnowFlower100
    SnowFlower100 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2019
    Options

That's fantastic news 32 B! Your story give me plenty of hope! I was diagnosed at 29 (3 months ago), now still in radiotherapy. I have been worrying about BC affecting my fertility too. I was told by my oncologist that it's recommended to do at least 2 years of Hormone therapy (in my case Tamoxifen) and then can interrupt the therapy for pregnancy and then continue to take Tam to a final 10 years... Concerned about the side effects of Tam but also the recurrence risk if not taking it, Im still undecided. I read from your profile that you didn't do any hormone therapy even though you are ER PR positive? Thanks a lot!

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited March 2019
    Options

Bumping for Toni . . .

• hkkw17
    hkkw17 Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2019
    Options

Thank you everyone for great stories !! It really helps new ones like us to stay strong !

• hkkw17
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hieveryone, need to hear updates from long time survivors again ... please keep on updating this wonderful thread .. it gives a lot of hope to us newly diagnosed people !!

• hkkw17
    edited March 2019
    Options

Bumping for more success stories !

• carmelle
    carmelle Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi! Checking in for yearly post. It was 2003 when began this hoping to hear/share stories of inspiration and hope. Now it's 2019. Kids are mostly young men now. They were 1 and 3 at dx. Life is a journey and look back at BC now as a big catalyst for growth and change. Would have punched anybody who said that to me in 2003 with so much fear and worry. Still remember though how extremely heavy and hard it is to have life thrown into "fear, worry and anxiety" for life itself. It's a big load and managing it beyond a challenge but can be done. I'm 54, 38 at dx and had lump for over 3 yrs then.

If wish anything for you it's healing power of kindness. Kindness first for yourself. Treat you gently. Allow you grace of healing in peace. Love yourself. Sounds just like words but this is truly what felt during that time and began doing for first time in life. It's a process that continues unfold. HUGS for all of you. Lots love. Michelle

• Nico1012
    edited March 2019
    Options

Bumping for Aisha . . .

• lovebeingnana
    lovebeingnana Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2019
    Options

Michelle you are such an encouragement. Thank you.

• hkkw17
    edited March 2019
    Options

Bumping !!

• pebblesv
    pebblesv Member Posts: 486
    edited March 2019
    Options

Carmelle aka Michelle thank you so much for posting and congratulations on your success!

• hkkw17
    edited March 2019
    Options

bumping for more success stories

• Nico1012
    edited April 2019
    Options

Bumping for Linda . . .

• Nico1012
    edited May 2019
    Options

Bumping for Charlene . . .

• SLL101984
    SLL101984 Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi everyone! Just wanted to pop on this thread and quickly share my story for those new here! I know reading through these posts in my days after diagnosis really helped calm me down.

This past Tuesday, May 21, was the first anniversary of my double mastectomy. It was also the first anniversary of me being cancer free!

January 2018 I noticed I was constantly tired, no matter how’s much sleep I got I was exhausted, like I had a new born again exhausted. Then in March I went in for my yearly gyno appointment (which I was 7 months late for), and that’s when my doctor said the words “this spot on your breast feels funny to me”. I knew in that moment it wasn’t good, I had this feeling in my gut that things were going to get bad. I thank my lucky stars my dr made me go get a mammogram (which showed nothing) and then a ultrasound (which found the spot and led to a biopsy) right then and there. I was only 33 at this time so many doctors would have been like come back in 6 months we’ll see if it changes. April 18, 2018, diagnosis day. The same dr who delivered my baby not even two years prior called to deliver this news, breast cancer. The next month was a whirlwind of tests, scans, bloodwork, and dr appointments.

I chose the surgery I did because I had to give myself the biggest peace of mind going forward. Can it come back? Sure. Hopefully it doesn’t, but I’m getting to the point where it isn’t the first thing I think about every morning and the last thing at night. I also did not need radiation and my oncotype score was a 14 so it took chemo off the table. I’m one year into tamoxifen and doing well.

I remember being in your shoes, scared, angry, anxious. And trust me all those emotions come flooding back all the time. I wanted to make sure to come back here, now a year later, to share my story because most survivors are out there living life so since we don’t often hear from them we don’t think they exist! But we do!

I got through this and you will too!

• 32B
    edited June 2019
    Options

Hi SLL. Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on your anniversary! What a great milestone!

• Nico1012
    edited June 2019
    Options

Bumping for Vicki . . .

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited June 2019
    Options

I recall a post around the time I was diagnosed wherein a person asked why there were no long term survivors in this forum and a wise person answered that it was because they were off living their lives. A few did respond and seeing those survivors gave me great hope for my own survival. I decided then to come back every year that I can and let y'all know that I'm still alive and kicking! It's been 8 years, here's to (hopefully) many more!

Remember, when you're going through hell, keep going. ~Churchill

• Alicethecat2
    Alicethecat2 Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2019
    Options

Ladies (and any gentlemen too)

It was the posts from long-term survivors such as MsPhil and Chrissy B and people a few years ahead of me such as Special K that kept me going - and people such as Moonflower and Farmer Lucy who were going through it with me that kept me going in 2012. We all still post from time to time.

It would be wonderful to hear from even more long-term survivors.

Best wishes to everyone going through this.

Alice x

• sgreenarch
    sgreenarch Member Posts: 253
    edited June 2019
    Options

Hi! I haven't been on the site in a few years. I keep this one thread, this one subject, on my alerts because it always makes me happy to read about long term survivors. I was diagnosed with early stage invasive lobular carcinoma in July of 2010. I had a uni mastectomy and have been on Tamoxifen and then Letrozole, all together for almost 9 years.There are side effects but nothing terrible, or nothing that I can't get used to. I swim and walk a lot, and try to eat healthy. I remember how frightened I was at the beginning. I don't think we ever will forget this, but life has gone on and thank God, I am just busy living. Sending good wishes to all.

• Alicethecat2
    Alicethecat2 Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2019
    Options

SGreenarch

Thank you so much for giving other people hope.

Alice

• nye1980
    nye1980 Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2019
    Options

Not quite a long-term survivor yet, but three years on now and just had all my annual scans and bloodwork and all is well.

• vanessa99
    vanessa99 Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2019
    Options

I just passed 10 years since diagnosis and feel better than ever. I was on Tamoxifen for 5 years, and have been on Femara for 4 years. One more year on Femara, then I'll fly solo. Best wishes to all the wonderful ladies on these boards. <3

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2019
    Options

I’m 8 years out next month. I had IDC, Stage 1, Grade 1. I had a lumpectomy and 33 radiation treatments. My Oncotype score was 11 so I dodged chemo. 8% chance of recurrence according to Oncotype report.I took Tamoxifen for 5 years. So far, so good.

Diane

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,973
    edited July 2019
    Options

ThumbsUp

• MeToo14
    MeToo14 Member Posts: 162
    edited July 2019
    Options

5 years out from diagnosis today! When I finished active treatment and asked my MO if he thought the cancer really was gone, he answered "absolutely". I know no one can promise anything, and I live in reality and so does he. SO I will just say: "SO FAR, SO GOOD"! (Knock on wood. Fingers crossed)

• Nico1012
    edited July 2019
    Options

Bumping for Stacie . . .

• 32B
    edited July 2019
    Options

Congratulations!