Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

African American Women & Triple Negative Status

Options

Comments

• scoobydoo
    scoobydoo Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hello all.  New to all this.  Having my port put in on Wed.  Chemo treatment of AC/T starts on 9/3.  We definitely need some positive stories of survival.  I am trying to get in on that trial for the breast cancer vaccine for triple negative early stage.  I will let you guys know if I am approved for that study and see what happens.

Anita

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi Anita, welcome.  I'm only glad to see you here for the support you will get.  Better to be here with bc than to have to go it alone.  Please do keep us in the loop on your progress so we can cheer you on.  Many of your tripleneg sisters have survived many years and are still going strong so please don't give up as you never know what is "new" just around the corner.

Blessings.

• Lcharmie
    Lcharmie Member Posts: 156
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hey Ladies,

Thanks for the support  and prayers.  I guess between talking and writing to folks, I forget who I have shared info with and who not---plus this has had me a lil crazy these days---I tell you all--you have to feel what you got to feel--so here I am.  I had CT Scans on Thurs. of my neck, liver and stomach(soft tissues).  I should know the results on Monday.  I have slept a lot this weekend.  I thought I was doing fine--my chest is red and I think it is Nerves!!  I will keep ya posted.

Stay Blessed!!

Linda C. 

• Lcharmie
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi Anita,

We are here to support you!!

Sorry to have to meet this way.

I am excited about the "new vaccine" and you are so brave to go for the trials. It may not be of help for my cause, but Thanks to Ladies like yourself to go ahead for others.  May God bless you!!!

Linda C.

• scoobydoo
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thanks Linda and Patoo.  We are in this together.  We will survive.  I am leaning on my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ to see me through.  I am also blessed to have a wonderful husband and daughter.

Anita

• Lcharmie
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hello Ladies.

Just to let you know, that my Dr called around 5 PM----I had called at 10 this morning, and 11 this morning--His nurse called a 2 PM and said the results were back, but he wanted to talk to me.  I figured he had "lil "to tell me or a "lot" as I was Crazy for sure(well a lil).  "Praise God" the CT scans were all good.  There are the nodules where those glands are under my ears, he said the could not tell what size they were and needed to talk with the Radiologist---he also said he did not want to biopsy these, if they need not to be treated(that so be, with Radiation or Chemo) so he will let me know.  I figure they may want to biopsy them and that is OK---I would rather know, unless they say they are not of size to biopsy then I will---Peace Be Still!!!   So Everyone, Thanks so much for your prayers and support,  I will keep you posted as to where this goes.

Stay Blessed!!

Linda C.

• patoo
    edited August 2009
    Options

Linda, thanks for the update.  We know God is in control and that you are holding on to His hand.  Will keep the prayers going as we are told to pray without ceasing. 

This is Stephanie's thread and as she says "God is able"!

BTW, let's keep prayers going for TripleNeg 24/7.  I'll check the other threads again but last I saw she might have gone into hospice.  Anyone know for sure?

• indomitable1
    indomitable1 Member Posts: 136
    edited August 2009
    Options

Linda- Congrats!!!! Praise God! Will continue to keep you in prayer. As you know, God Is! He lives!

• indomitable1
    edited August 2009
    Options

Patoo- Continuing to keep TripleNeg lifted. She hasn't logged on since 8/11/09 when she said she was on her way to the ER for probable admission. Let's continue to  pray for her and her family.

ScoobyDoo, BlessedOne2, JourneyNC- you, too, are in my prayers. Hopefully all is going well with you.

Peace.

• Lcharmie
    edited August 2009
    Options

Patoo, Thanks so much for the prayers!!

Indomitable1,Thanks so much too for the prayers!!

Yes we will keep TripleNeg lifted for prayer--I have often wondered how folks keep intouch with folks if all we have is an e- mail.  The time my computer went out, it was a long time, and I missed everyone and I knew they wonder what was up with me??!  Some of this information I must have missed, and rightfully so, as I do not always go on the other threads, and when I have, sometimes I forget to go back and check in.

All of you Ladies you are always in my prayers--we can't get too much of prayer, I don't think!!!

Take care everyone--it is one of those nights, I can't get to sleep my body has been in over-drive mentally---I went to bed and got up--have had my "sleepy-time tea and will read and hope I can go to sleep.

Good Night Ladies.

Linda C

• scoobydoo
    edited August 2009
    Options

Congrats Linda.  You must really be relieved.  That is excellent news.  I do not know what I would do without my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.  He is so faithful and loving.  He is sitting at the right hand of the Father and yes...HE LIVES!

Going through stuff with my breast that had the lumpectomy.  Had major fluid buildup in that breast on Sunday, so much I awoke with my bed, bra and everything is drenched.  They ended up reopeing a portion of my incision to drain.  I have to stuff my breast with gauze 2 times a day.  Yuck!  They had to cancel my port installation because of this issue.  They are concerned with infection if I have my port installed now.  I hope I can still start chemo on 9/3.  I really do not want to waste a moments time with this thing.  Have any of you had any issue like this?

You ladies are in my prayers.  I do not know how people get through this without Jesus.  I pray TripleNeg is okay.  

Anita 

• indomitable1
    edited August 2009
    Options

Anita- I so agree with you. He Lives and  we can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth us......EVEN this!  I had problems with my drains clogging after mastectomy and finally got a minor infection. They postponed my port placement as a result. I didn't find out until I was gowned in the pre-op holding area. This, too, shall pass. You will get your treatment eventually. You don't want to get a port infection which can lead to sepsis and hospitalization and interruption of your chemo. 

As a matter of fact, I am  scheduled  for port removal  on Thursday secondary to ??infection??. I'm on antibiotics and antifungals and although the swelling has gone down, the area is still discolored and TENDER. She won't put another one in until she's sure it's clear. Don't know whether or not I'll opt for a PICC vs. having another port placed. I can't wait to complete the next 2 rounds so this can be a completed chapter.

Yes, I am strengthened by the ladies on this thread and the fact that we are prayer warriors. It's no coincidence. We are an army and we know that the enemy is not flesh and blood. So nice to be in agreement with you all for HEALING, NED, and PEACE for all the ladies (and men) who are fighting this thing and our families.

God Bless you all.

• BlessedOne2
    BlessedOne2 Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hello to all of my darling sisters.

I did get to go to family reunion. While there my hair started to come out in the shower and in my hand.  Because it was already very short and curly I don't think anyone noticed the thinning. Got home on a Sunday and Wednesday morning (day of second treatment 8/5) DH shaved the remainder off.   Am just loving it!Smile With 2nd tx, had a little more fatigue, nail bed on thumbs turning purple and I realized that the sun is NOT my friend.  It truly wipes me out.  Next treatment is next week 8/26.  I am a little anxious about what s/e that one will bring.  I am so restless b/c I stopped all of my projects.  A good friend and I have taken up crocheting after 30++ years.  Everyone wants to know what the finished product will be and we are still trying to get past the first row and know what we have done.   I'm hoping to find a part-time job.  If not I will pick up on some of my volunteer work.

Our God is so compassionate to cover us with His GRACE each and every day.  Let us all draw on that grace, love and strength  that he has put in each of us.  He knows the plans that He has for us. 

Pink hugs and big blessings to you all,

Wanda      

• patoo
    edited August 2009
    Options

My heroines, all of you.  Facing so much during this journey but your attitude is wonderful.  That's God!

• JourneyNC
    JourneyNC Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hello All,

I will have my last chemo tomorrow 8/19 @ 11am and so anxious I don't know what to do.

I read your threads and silently Pray for all of you. Most importantly, I am Thankful of the sharing of our journeys that we may take burdens off each other. Communication is key. 

Regarding TripleNeg, I did see a thread of her being in hospice.

Wishing all Comfort, Peace and Health

Dolores

• Alaina
    Alaina Member Posts: 153
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Cleared for Surgery!!!

Wow! What a whirlwind 5 days I've had!

Friday I went in for my 1st Herceptin-only treatment. I was advised that these sessions would be:

1. Side-Effect Free
    2. Shorter in Duration

Well...as for #2, they were correct. Instead of running the Herceptin over 90 minutes, they set the drip to 30 mins.

Which brings me to #1. I actually felt queasy after this treatment! I'd never felt queasy after a treatment, even with the heavy duty "real" chemo I was getting (Taxotere & Carboplatin). I think I need to have them run it on a 60 minute or even go back to a 90 minute session, because 30 just made me GREEN! LOL!!! (but my cereal stayed down...ya-hoo, small victories!)

As for my mastectomy, I will arrive at the hospital at 6:30am on Monday the 24th, and I'm first on my surgeon's schedule for the day. The nurse educator who met with me and my Mom today told me that the surgery only takes about an hour and a half, and that I should expect to be in my room by Noon. She said that most likely, my pain levels will be about a 3/4 on a scale of 1-10, and that assuming all things go as expected, I should be discharged to home the next day. I should spend only one night in the hospital. I will spend the 1st two weeks of recovery at my Mom's home and the last 2 weeks, hopefully, at my own home.

I simply and humbly ask for your prayers on Monday that God will guide the surgeon's hands and hold MY hands while I embark on this phase of my treatment in my journey towards recovery. Surgery really scares the bee-hoo-ey out of me, and while I will show up and step up...every bit of encouragement, love, and support really helps right now.

Strap in! We're cleared for take-off!

Alaina

• patoo
    edited August 2009
    Options

All aboard!  Alaina, we are there with you, if not in body, you know in prayer and spirit. 

JourneyNC - last chemo - YAY!  Remember when you had your first and now the last one.  Totally doable.  Yippee.

Blessings all.

• Lcharmie
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hello Ladies,

WOW----So much going on---As we all seem on one accord---Jesus Got Us Covered!!

Scoobydo--Thanks!!!    Take care of you, things may be a lil slower, but you will be where you're to be in time.  This does not help the anxiety we feel along the way, but we want no problems! 

I am relieved that the CT Scans were good--just waiting now for him to say what to do with these lil glands under my ears--I just keep giving the battle to God--I know that I am taking it back when "I go to Trippin".  That is when the Prayer Warriors pickup---and this is great!!

Indomtable1--Take care of you too. 

It is so good that we are a group of Prayer Warriors--it just feels good.

Help me here--what is PICC-- instead of your port??  See I learn a lot here too!!

BlessedOne2---hang in there--you're doing great!! 

My older Sis taught me to Crochet at the age of 58, I made a dish cloth and I was so proud, need to get back to it again, it is fun!!

Patoo--Great Attitudes---for all each are facing!!!

Alaina--I am in complete agreement with you that the drip may have been too fast---that happened to me one time, and they slowed it up to 30 min(someone gave it in 15 min) and I am sure the 1st one should have been a complete 90 min(my side effects for the 1st one, was horrible chills and I ran a temp after I got home--besides the one fast drip, there were no se at other times.  I wish this for you.  Praying for all to go well with your surgery on the 24th.  Keep us posted

JourneyNC---Yeah for the last Chemo--a day to celebrate!!  Thanks always for the prayers.

I am sad to hear Stephanie may be at Hospice--I believe there comes a time that "one" may not feel like the "challenge" anymore--and like anything else--only that person "feels".

I was just checking in for the day as I did not yesterday--have not heard from my Dr. yet--trying not to "trip"---Yep--I do that sometimes!!!  I know he will call--he knows how I am--

Everyone Stay Blessed---Take Good Care Of Yourselves.

Linda C

• indomitable1
    edited August 2009
    Options

JourneyNC- Hope your last chemo went well and that your side effects are minimal. Congrats, Survivor!

Alaina-I remember being so anxious to get things underway.Yeah! And yes, you will show up, step up, and look up! We've got you covered in prayer. Don't worry....cast your cares...

God's Blessings and Peace to everyone. 

• JourneyNC
    edited August 2009
    Options

To All,

"WE" is the word for today that I truly feel.

I never knew this feeling always being an "I" (single) with young son out of college.

My Keith, Man of 4 yrs and immediate family made this treatment journey our WE journey along with my caring friends, supervisors and co-workers. I'm saddened to lose friends in the beginning - that was our season.

The Love from this site is where I learned WE.Smile

Today, 8/19/09, I symbolized a FREEdom of 4 balloons floating out-of-site that will shred into pieces representing my past to NEVER return! Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, HALLELUJAH!!!!!

As WE celebrate all we have, been through and going through, WE will GET THROUGH!

If you are going through hell, keep going..Winston Churchill.

You and WE are so Loved, I FEEL IT! 

Thank You God in the Name of Jesus for all You have done and will continue to do in each of us. with Love, Peace and Health,

Dolores

• Alaina
    Alaina Member Posts: 153
    edited August 2009
    Options

Thank you ladies!  Your encouragement and prayers mean SO MUCH to me right now!

I'm having a huge party tomorrow evening with 125 of my closest friends!

It's my Ta-Ta-to-the-Ta-Ta's Party (T6 for short!)  I cannot wait!  This is really helping me gain a positive attitude about surgery and losing a body part.  I just need my friends and family to love on me and let me love on them!

It's being catered (3 types of wings (Fried, Buffalo & Old Bay), Mac & Cheese, Collard Greens, Tossed Salad, Shrimp Salad Wraps, & Turkey Club Wraps).  Dessert is either a yellow cupcake (margarita flavor) with chocolate icing and a Hershey's kiss up top (get the image?) or a Devil's Food Cupcake with chocolate icing and the kiss.  There's an open bar and my bartender has created a signature drink for me called "The Chocolate Nipple"  LOL!!!  I will have a DJ (for dancing into the night) and videographer (so people can leave me taped messages to view after surgery).  And I'm having a Silent Auction (with the coolest items!) to benefit the Outpatient Chemo Center where I'm being treated.  And of course, I will be sending my loved ones home with a Gift Bag full of my favorite candies and a special custom-made ink pen commemorating the day of the party.

Planning and coordinating all this has kept my mind (for the most part) off my fears.  And I love to throw a party! :-)

As soon as I am able after getting home from surgery, I will update you!

Love Always!  Alaina

• JourneyNC
    edited August 2009
    Options

Alaina: This is a Wonderful Feat...such Healing in the Process...Tell us the details so We can enjoy this with you and call it an "After PARTY". Enjoy and God Bless you Family, Friend and most importantly YOU!!

• patoo
    edited August 2009
    Options

Alaina, wow, sounds like fun.  Looking forward to hearing how it all went.  I'm with JourneyNC - we need to have a virtual "AfterPARTY".  I had an ice cream party with the April Rads group once we all finished up mid-June so we can have a party here too.

Big HI to all  my sisters here.  Still praying for all of you.

• patoo
    edited August 2009
    Options

Just saw on another thread that Stephanie (TripleNeg) is back home but on pain meds so sleeping much of the time.  Her counts are still low so still cannot do chemo.  Keep the prayers going up.

• Lcharmie
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hello Ladies,

Oh Alaina, that is going to be some kind of party!!  What a great idea!!  Yep--we need an After Party, so let us hear how it went.  I Love your Attitude and Spirit!!!

Take care all.

Linda C.

• Lcharmie
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hello Patoo,

Thanks for sharing news about Stephanie.   I will keep her in Prayer.

Take care.

Linda C.

• Lcharmie
    edited August 2009
    Options

JourneyNC,

I love your Attitude and Spirit too---you all amaze me with your "thoughts" and "ways" of dealing with this!!!  I love hearing stories like this.

In 1999, I was on my own----Jesus and me--no computers, and I still do not know anyone that has the same kind of Cancer that I have in this city(I am sure there is someone, but I don't know of anyone)so I really did deal with things on my own---my husband and my kids have been supportive, they say they go off of my "cue"and I have stayed on the move!!!  Anyways Ya make me Smile!!!

Linda C

• Lcharmie
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi Ladies,

My Dr. called, said that "a needle biopsy" needs to be done sometime next week, so we can see what it is--regarding if the Breast Cancer has gone to some of those lymph nodes--OK, I want to know and then we will make needed decisions.  So just letting you all know where I am--it is some more of this "journey".  Another "Challenge", that is how I look at it and give it to God!!!  He has been with me these 10 years and 9 months through a many of Challenge!!

Take Care and Stay Blessed.

• indomitable1
    edited August 2009
    Options

JourneyNC-YEAH!!!!

Alaina-What a great idea. Wish I was back in B'more so I could come. ENJOY!

Linda- You're in my prayers. God Is-your strength, your comfort, your peace, and your source. I'm believing with you.

• indomitable1
    edited August 2009
    Options

My port was removed on Thursday. Left with a gaping hole that requires packing with wet to dry dressings that I have to do. DH offered but don't want him to have this vision of me (actually looking at flesh). I'm getting better at it-I know that's GOD. Anyway, last two tx on hold until the feel sure all infxn is gone (2 weeks?).   

I, too, feel that this community offers a WE which is another source of support. Because we are so strong, our friends and family, often don't realize that we still need support. I definitely appreciate all the prayers they're sending up on my behalf. But, Just 'cause I know God's got it doesn't mean that I don't need a little extra TLC. Apparently, either I'm a "mission"  or "sounding/looking so good" that people think I don't need anything. Maybe I do have a hard time accepting help from others, but what's wrong with good old fellowship just for fellowship's sake. OK, maybe I need to throw a party! 

Thanks for being here! God's Continued Blessings!