Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

African American Women & Triple Negative Status

Options

Comments

• BlessedOne2
    BlessedOne2 Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2009
    Options

My Sisters, My Sisters,  I am so glad to see this board active. Patoo, a praying sister after my heart.    My soul is actually singing right now to know that I am connecting with other sistas.  The other boards are invaluable, but you know!  Rogamm, I was born and raised in Mobile (down the bay) but have lived in Houston a long long time now.    I love you all!   My prayer is that we will all see the glory of God through our journeys. 

Love and many blessings,

Wanda

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited June 2009
    Options

Wanda, welcome although I'm sorry we had to meet in this forum.  You're right, these boards have proved to be very valuable but I too love connecting with my sistas!

Hi to all my 'regular' sistas.

Blessings.

• patoo
    edited June 2009
    Options

Wanda, just looked at my personal email and see that the Sisters Network has already sent out a notice to members.

• Jean12
    Jean12 Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hello, I'm so glad to see your post, maybe we can relate to some things because I am triple neg, DX - 06-11-08, IDC, stage 1, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-,HER2-. I also had a simple mastectomy with temp. expander and now I'm not sure if I should have made that choice.

Please reply whenever possible

• Jean12
    edited June 2009
    Options

hello, I too am triple neg and would to talk again at a more convenient time.

• Jean12
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hi. I just wanted to send my get well wishes to you and your mom, It is a good thing that you are hanging in there with your mom.  God will triple bless you for that, believe me.

You and your mom are in my prayers!

• Lcharmie
    Lcharmie Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hello Jean12,

I am sorry you had to meet this way, however, we welcome you to visit anytime.

I am not a Triple Negative, but I will share my journey with any one who will listen, and hope I can help someone along the way as , so do the other Sisters on this thread!!!

I see you just had a "1st Year Anniversary", Congratulations!!!

I Celebrate each year and feel so Blessed to be here!!!

Take care.

Linda C.

• patoo
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hi Jean12 and welcome although we would prefer to meet you in a different forum.  But since we are all here we celebrate one another.  It is an extremely supportive forum.

I'm also not a triple-neg but it has evolved from our dear Stephanie (TripleNeg) to be a place to share and cheer.  Please come often and post anything you wish; you will receive an answer or a shoulder; whatever it is you need.  It's not always an easy journey but it is doable.

Blessings.

• Lcharmie
    edited July 2009
    Options

Everyone have a Safe and Happy 4th of July!!!  Do what ever makes "you and yours" Happy!!!

Stay Blessed!!!

Linda C,

• Jean12
    edited July 2009
    Options

I want to wish everyonje a happy 4th of July also, and ask that we stay in contact with one

another.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Stay safe!

Jean12

• Lcharmie
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hello All,

Anyone do anything interesting over the 4th of July??  Anybody take any trips?

My daughter and my 2 grandaughters were here from Texas, we had a nice time, we ate everything, and we watched the Fireworks far and near--this was fun for them as they cannot do Fireworks in their city limits, and our neighborhood was lit up--noise, but 'alive', our weather was ideal, and not hot.  They are back in Texas now after staying for 4 days--the house is quiet now, but we had great fun!!!

I hope this E-mail finds everyone doing very well--I am probably tired now from entertaining but it was worth it to see my Babies, they never get too old!!!

Ok, hope to hear from ya!!

Be Blessed!!

Linda C

• BlessedOne2
    BlessedOne2 Member Posts: 17
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hi Linda,  nothing just so fantastic - ate and watched fireworks.  Wanda  

• Lcharmie
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hello Wanda,

Sounds good to me!!!

It feels good to check in with folks and see what else is going on in life, ( and 'cause it can give us reasons to post, that may lead to other conversations--that is the game plan)  Thanks for sharing!!!

Linda C.

• indomitable1
    indomitable1 Member Posts: 136
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hi All!

Thanks Linda for keeping us in touch!  The kids & I grilled with George (Foreman that is).... DH out of town....how come that gas grill never ignites for me?? Had to change plans and invite George. Then we swam and swam and swam....and despite the ton of sunscreen  I put on, I tanned. I wore my swim cap though- so my beautiful bald head is 3 tones lighter than the rest of me.  Had to watch fireworks on TV. Our city cut the budget....

Glad you got to spend time with your daughter and grands..... My prayer is that I live to see some-no make that all of mine. My dad says you have children so you can one day have Grands.

Hope all is well with you, your job, and your health.

Hope all is going well for everyone else as well!   Independence Day had a whole new meaning for me- I'm free from fear and worry. Liberty.

Just saw snippets of the Michael Jackson Memorial Service. Apparently very nicely done!

God Bless you all!

• patoo
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hi all,

The 4th is my sister's birthday wo I flew down to Altanta and she, her daughter and grandson and I drove over to Jacksonville Beach FL and just laid up on the beach and by the pool from Thursday until Monday.  It was a nice, relaxing getaway - probably the only one I'm going to get this year. 

Had a really nice fiweworks display that we watched from our beachfront balcony.  Isn't it nice that the country celebrates her birthday every year!  LOL

• Lcharmie
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hi Indomitable1,

Sounds like your 4TH went very well too!!  I had to laugh--me and the grill don't get along either, Mr. Foreman will do!!  Swimming sounds like fun--I like to watch people--my kids and my husband and the grands like water, me--only my feet are going inSmile.  We had to take Swimming in High School, (mandatory) I could swim- passed the class---AND?!!  Can't swim a lick!!  

We live near a Golf course, and for 32 years on this corner, and every year on the 3RD they do fireworks, and we would watch from the backyard--this is the 1st year they did not do them--I heard because of the economy too.  We could see them from the lake, that is probably 3 min. away from us, and yeah all that the neighbors done.

I thought the Services for Micheal Jackson was nice---I plopped and watched 2 1/2 hrs. and had to shed some tears.  It is sad--that he had to be in so much pain---see then I think of what each of us are going through and how we support and pray and try to hold on--I am sure his Family did all of that too,  It is just sad!!

Thanks again for sharing!!

Have to tell TripleNeg too, Thanks for letting us hang out on your post!!

PS:  I am not working the lil part-time job--the lil girls was too rough for me--I have worked with the Mentally Ill most of my life--these lil people needed to not be there--they had more criminal in them, then ill.  The place was not set up for them, nor me!!!  More stress than I wanted to deal with--it felt good to have a job and I may go out again--But---and"Butt" stinks(lol)

I am very Thankful for my energies--this is the 7TH month off of Chemo(after being on it for 6 yrs.--I feel  very Blessed!!

Linda C

• Lcharmie
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hi Patoo,

Your trip sounds wonderful!! (I want a trip like that)!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

We celebrated our granddaughters Birthday on the 4TH(it is on the5Th) but that is how they do it, she was 8 years old, she is a new day every day!!!

I love the Beach---I tell ya though--only to LOOK at the water.  I fell in love with Newport Beach in Southern California--WHEN. I win the lottery, I WILL buy a Beach House  there, over looking that Ocean !!  How is that for Dreaming FOR REAL??!!(lol)

I am glad the Country has this holiday too!!!

Linda C.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hi All, 

Tonight on PBS' "Tavis Smiley" will be airing a special episode dedicated to breast cancer. The episode will feature Dr. Olufunmilayo Olopade, a leading breast cancer researcher at the University of Chicago, and breast cancer survivors Diahann Carroll (singer and actress) and Jessica Queller (television writer). To learn more or look up your local air time, visit http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/archive/200907/20090710.html

I think that the show will be mainly discussing African American women and triple negative breast cancer, so thought I'd post.

Best wishes,

Melissa

• patoo
    edited July 2009
    Options

Thanks Melissa - it's appreciated.

• Lcharmie
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hello Ladies,

I do hope this E-mail finds everyone doing as well as possible ---just THINKING about allSmile--Yeah and MISSING ya!!!Frown  PRAYERS for all!!!Smile

Be Blessed!!!Smile

Linda C

• patoo
    edited July 2009
    Options

Thanks ILinda.  I miss everyone also.

• indomitable1
    indomitable1 Member Posts: 136
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hey All!

Linda- you are TOO funny--"more criminal than ill!"  I have to laugh at that one.  Glad to hear that you are still off chemo and doing well! We have to be selective with our time-how and with whom we spend it. That's one thing this journey has taught all of us-It is not promised and we will rejoice and be glad in it!

Patoo- I live about 2 hours from Jax. Glad you enjoyed your time there.

I missed the special that Tavis did. Dr. Olopade was kind enuff to do a "curbside" consult on me. I'm so sorry I missed it. Did anyone get a chance to see it?

I am at halfway point in chemotx. Was so excited before but despite the fact that I'm now on Emend and the nausea is so much better-the FATIGUE and ?body ache? still made me stay in bed. Well, 3 more to go then rads.

Michael's Memorial service was indeed nice. The tears came for me when Stevie sang "They won't go when I go." I remember LOVING that song when I was in ?middle school!  My mother described me as morose. (Of course, I shed tears with Usher as well.)

Well, I can't stay away from the boards so long....but I have to learn how to manage my time better....I get caught reading posts for almost hours.

God Bless All!

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited July 2009
    Options

Afternoon everyone,

I did post in this forum last year but stopped for a while and just posted in my Sept. 08 chemo group. I've made great friends in the Sept chemo group and I'm so happy we have this  forum. I  physically wasn't able to post in more than one  forum  for most of this past year, but I will come over more often. I'm happy I came over  here today and will return to read the latest posts.

CNN mentioned  TN, AF/AM and  an upcoming Black in America special. I have to look it up to see when it occurs. 

I did Adriamycin 4  treatments interrupted by insurance  issues: I had to change weird insulting Oncologists  who  wanted more money than I could afford. My next chemo was  Taxol, but I was   unable to  tolerate  more than 2 sessions, due to severe swelling and neuropathy up to the mid-calf of my R leg. I am Type 2 Diabetic and my severe reaction was attributed to that diagnosis.

I just finished 26 sessions of Radiation and 8 boosts last Monday. My skin  burned crisped and peeled off ...my doc gave me 6 days off and I used Vaseline guaze packs, cool packs, Aquaphor  and Remedy, a doc recommended cream. The last boost burned my scar area and I expect it to peel this week. My Onc told me my skin would darken but she never mentioned burn...I was not happy... but she told me yes it does burn but no radiation is done if the skin become a peeling red wound... which happened to me...so I got a week off.

Glad to visit again today and I hope I can help anyone who needs  a hand.

still v.v.v. tired but I have other underlying conditions...but if all goes as it has with chemo my  energy will return.

Sharing CNN article...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/07/21/bia.triple.negative.cancer/index.html

Mina 

• Lcharmie
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hello Indomitable1 and patoo,

Patoo, thanks for posting in, hope all is well for you!!!

Indomitable1, you are so right, we need to select who we spend our time with and why!!  I did that and had to make a quick Exit!!  Them lil girls have to be someone elses' " Assignment" not mine.

Indomitable1, I am glad you are half way through your treatments--hang in there!!!

I did not get to watch the show Tavis did, and I knew it was scheduled too, hope it plays again, that was nice for Tami-Melissa the moderaters to remind us.

I thought the Services for Michael Jackson were nice--when John Mayer played the song "Human Nature", the tears came---Wheeee

Ya know, I lke to write so I can get a "chat going"!!!

Take care and stay Blessed!!

Linda C

• Lcharmie
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hello Mina,

We are glad you came back to vist!!!

The Insurance Companies can be a mess, 2006 I had to do Rads again, I did 34 treatments and then they told me when the bill came in, "it was Investigational/Experimental, and I spent time and more time trying to get them to pay $33,000.00 of $42,000.00(see they paid part of it) and refuse to read what the Dr. wrote,(that it was medically necessary) I still don't see the difference of the Rads in 1999 and the Rads in 2006, they "BCBS" did not pay it either, the Hospital "Thank God" wrote it off ($33,000.00)in February 2009--what a nighmare--the Ins. had said, we had to pay it.  I was not ask nor ever told anything different(they know Ins does not pay for some of the Procedures if they are Experimental or Investigational--I think they knew that could have been a lawsuit.  See Mina, you got me on the Ins companies and I don't even know your whole storyWink.

Anyways, come visit anytime--we'll be here!!

Take Care.

Linda C

• patoo
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hi everyone!  Welcome Mina. 

Actually took a few days off from posting although I did log in to see what was happening.  Just didn't have any motivation to spend my regular "several" hours on here.  Actually got some housework and shopping done - imagine that. 

Those are some horrow (oops - edit to be 'horror') stories about insurance.  Sorry you all had to go through that; who needs it when dealing with one beast - BC.

ILinda - you talk on, girl.  Love it!

Big HEY! Indomitable1.

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited July 2009
    Options

Ladies all is well and I pray the same for you. I just wanted to stop by and post a greeting and tell eveyone to stay encouraged. I am a 1.3 year triple negative SURIVIOR!!! I can tell you that some days the enemy tries to say it is a matter of time. BUT THEN MY GOD SAID FORGET ABOUT DEATH! I CAME SO THAT YOU MAY HAVE LIFE AND LIFE MORE ABUDENTLY! That is the WORD I am HOLDING in MY Heart. BE Blessed ladies.

• patoo
    edited July 2009
    Options

Ro, you will certainly be victorious as long as you hold on to His promises to never leave you.

Blessings.

• Lcharmie
    edited July 2009
    Options

Rogam,

I Love it!!!!  Keep them thoughts in your mind and keep on keeping on!!!

Stay Blessed!!

Linda C.

• JourneyNC
    JourneyNC Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hello All,

Don't forget to watch CNN tonight on TNBC. 9pm (eastern).

Lot's O' Love!