Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

African American Women & Triple Negative Status

Options

Comments

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited June 2009
    Options

Phyllis weighing in here.  I'm doing well. 

Rads completed 5/18 and no significant se's at all; even my skin took it well.  Niggling thoughts at back of my mind about whether I did everything I could regarding this monster but I've decided not to beat myself up about it.  It is what it is and if, by chance, and I'm not claiming it, I have to revisit all of this later I will have no regrets.  So I'm in good spirits and moving on. 

ILinda, your news is a great testimony to the grace of God.  I'm claiming for you that all will go well with your Dr visit next week.  Keep us informed.

Hope more of you ladies will weigh in as well.  We need you all.

Blessings.

• indomitable1
    indomitable1 Member Posts: 136
    edited June 2009
    Options

Congrats Patoo on completing Rad tx!!! God's grace is sufficient. Don't second guess. He is in control.

ILinda- congrats on our new job! (and of course the break from chemo!) Hopefully you'll find your work rewarding. Hats off again for your journey to this point. I'm in agreement that you'll have nothing but good news on your next Dr visit. Prayers for NED.

I started chemo a week ago today. Wow! Thank God for the boards to help prepare...but..you don't REALLY know until... No allergic or adverse reactions (unless you count the many SEs). Anyway I took off prophylactically. I went back to work yesterday and made it thru the day...but almost couldn't get up this morning. These were mostly admin days, full clinic schedule tomorrow and next week.  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. BUT I'm seriously considering how I should be spending my time on what matters most.

My skin is peeling. I got my buzz cut on Tuesday. Saved my locks. Sporting my wig which has No grey. Don't find many foods appetizing-I've been delivered! Not classic nausea but permanent queasy.  I didn't tell everyone at work. Only those in my immediate section. I'm sure everyone else thinks I'm going thru a mid-life crisis.  (boob reduction +/- gastric bypass, hair change, more makeup).

Has anyone heard from LaShon or TripleNeg? How about Roya?  Sessna1?

All are in my prayers. Thanks for checking in Linda!

• Lcharmie
    Lcharmie Member Posts: 156
    edited June 2009
    Options

Patoo,

I am glad Rads are over---Let your mind breathe now!!!  Rads does make one extremely tired---so get some much needed rest "mentally and physically!!!

Thanks for compliment on my testimony.  God is good!!!

Thanks for the good thoughts-- about my Dr. visit .  I trust in God that it will be good!!

Take Care.

Linda C.

• Lcharmie
    edited June 2009
    Options

Indomitable1,

Agreed, no one can tell you till "they walked in those shoes" and even then, it is "your own feelings"!!!  I remember quite well, my first Chemo days.  Thanks for your compliments for my journey----it has been a long and winding road and I am ready to still travel on!!!  I like that---I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!! 

For sure --spend your time for what matters to you most--It is about YOU, NOW!!!  That goes for all of us--that is what I think!!

I hope we hear from the other ladies real soon!!  LaShon, Sessna1, TripleNeg, Roya----Hello!!!

I am so glad we took time to "Weigh" inSmile.  We have to keep this going!!!

Take care.

Linda C.

• rogam
    rogam Member Posts: 123
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hello Ladies! First I want to thank those that shared stories (Linda and Wayne). I would also like to welcome the newcomers-we are here to lend support. I find that african americans are not as open as some other groups. I encourage open communication as your story will help someone else. I have completed all treatments and surgeries. I had my last surgery back in March (had problems with the tissue expanders and got them removed). I am back at work 55 hr per week and working with the American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk. I am co-chairing the church groups. I have also preparing to teach vbs in a few weeks. I am still trying to find the old me when it comes to energy. Staying positive is something that I chose to do daily. My prayer is that a cure for cancer will be found. In the meantime I am fund raising for acs just so that I can do my part. I am thankful for you guys being here. Take care and have a wonderful week.

• patoo
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hi Ladies.  I'm not as fatigued as before but now just need to get the motivation to get up off of this lounge chair evenings and get moving.  Did finally get to my first meeting with the local chapter of the Sisters Network.  Wonderful support group.  There is a thread here which I will bump up.  Check it out and if there's a local chapter I highly suggest joining.  These boards are wonderful for support but it's also nice to have that face-to-face interaction.

Indomitalbe1 - good luck with your chemo.  I didn't have that journey so I will pray you can keep up your spirits through it.

Rogam - 'still trying to find energy' - just your activities posted above wear me out!  Good for you.

Hi ILinda - looking forward to your report on Dr visit.

I've seen, from lurking other boards, Sessna1, TripleNeg and Roya have posted recently and all appear to be okay, relatively speaking that is.  Not sure about LaShon.

Time to hit the sack.  Keep in touch.

• indomitable1
    edited June 2009
    Options

Patoo- thanks for the updates and encouragement. Week 2 is great!  Will look for the Sisters Network thread. Thanks.

Rogam,I'm with Patoo--your fatigue sounds well  earned. You go girl! Love the way, you're making a difference.

ILinda, I'm praying that all is well and that you get the good news you so deserve.

God Bless all. Praying for all. Peace and healing.

• Lcharmie
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hello Everyone,

I hope all is well with each of you.

For me, I had my Drs. appt on the 9th---Well, (deep subject)  we see that my lymph glands are swollen kind of under your ears, and in the jaw area, he wants to watch this, as I have had a cold, he says if they don't go down, or increase in size(call him)or with in the 2 months(next visit) then we will do Scans, and that it could have something to do with the cancer, certainly not what I want to hear, and I did and I did'nt hear it--went to Walmarts to shop, I did Pray and it is in Gods' hands as always!!   I will watch it and I will go to the Health Food Store and see what is there for helping the Lymph Glands--Everything else, like the skin on my chest looks good and I feel great!!  I decided to pat the places with (rubbing alcohol) old remedy for swellings, and took Motrin for anti- inflammation.  Moving on under Gods' Graces--this is how I made it---Keep me in prayer, as I will for you all!

Glad to see the action on the boards!!

Stay  Blessed!!

• patoo
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hi ILinda - we will not claim it as related to 'C'.  We know that our God is able and will not take us to but will lead us through.  My prayers will be with you that the glands are just reacting to the weather and nothing else. 

Blessings all.

• Lcharmie
    edited June 2009
    Options

Patoo,

Thanks---You are so very right "God is able" and that is what stays in my mind--I think of that song by Marvin Sapp "Never Would Have Made it"!!!   It is very true!! 

Stay Blessed.

Linda C

• indomitable1
    edited June 2009
    Options

Linda, Thanks for the update. Will continue to pray....and don't forget that other Marvin Sapp song-"I Believe"!!

Peace,Health, Prosperity.

Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers. III John 1:2.

• Roya
    Roya Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2009
    Options

I am going for my first mammo since lumpectomy tomorrow.  I am confidant that it will be ok......still a bit nervous though.

• patoo
    edited June 2009
    Options

Dear Father in Heaven because you are so awesome and giving I am claiming victory for Roya tomorrow that her mammo will be clear and she will get a clean reading.  In the precious name of Jesus, Amen.

Roya, you know to whom you belong.  Remember that He will be right there beside you.  Blessings.

• indomitable1
    edited June 2009
    Options

So true Patoo!  Amen.

Roya, may you have Peace as you have the mammogram and await the results. May this peace be followed by joy and relief. You're right to be confident because you know that you know that you know! God bless.

• Lcharmie
    edited June 2009
    Options

Oh My Gosh!!!!  That is why I love coming to this thread----there is greatest of "Support and Love"!!

Indomitable, Thanks for the prayer, I will have to listen for that song by Marvin Sapp, I don't recall hearing it---But I certainly do Believe--got to!!!

Patoo, what a Beautiful Prayer for Roya!!!

Roya, praying for you also---that is all we can do with this---Give it to God!!!

Ya Stay Blessed!!!!

Linda C.

• patoo
    edited June 2009
    Options

posting to bump - hopefully that will put it back so Roya can post her news.

• Lcharmie
    edited June 2009
    Options

Good deal pattoo--I thought how did this get to the back---we got some good things going here!!!

Thanks!!!

Roya--Weigh in!!!! 

6-20-09   When I looked at this--it sounds somewhat demanding--and I would never mean for it to sound like that--You my Friend, "post" in your own time--when ever it is, we will be glad to hear from you--and that goes for everyoneSmile.

Blessings to all!!

• JourneyNC
    JourneyNC Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hello everyone,

Thought I'd finally post after lurking in the backgrounds.  I am triple neg and had to understand what this means as well as clinical trials, Grade 3, etc. I had 2 surgeries, one margin out of 6 they didn't get enough. Nodes were clear. I feel so beat up after surgery. I didn't get the support I was hoping for at the Cancer Excellence Center.

I started my chemo treatment of Taxotere and Cytoxan on 6/12 at home. The Hema Onc here is excellent. I found more out from him than where this excellence center was. Not sure how things flow having "survived" this demonic "c".

Well, now understanding my treatment for TN is chemo and rad, this is no joke. I'm suffering from chemo pretty bad. My first CBC, I have "0", nunca, nada, nothing of WBC's. Now I have to get booster shots to bring it up. My potassium is low since having severe diarrhea. This has only been over 1wk and I'm feeling a little human. I've lost 10lbs from these side effects. 

Most importantly, I thought I was going to give up, but as they say..If your going through "hell" KEEP GOING!

• taj72
    taj72 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hi ladies!  I would like to join the club (on behalf of my mother).  Well actually not really, but I guess we've been inducted into the club whether we'd like to join or not.  My mom was recently diagnosed with BC in April 2009.  She is Stage 3B, Grade 3, Triple Negative.  I usually post on the board in a few other forums and get lots of information from here that I pass on to her.  She hasn't handled this very well and did not want to do chemo but finally agreed.  So I do what I can to  help smooth this path for her.

She's participating in a clinical trial of a new drug (Sutent) and her chemo is weekly Taxol for 12 weeks with daily Sutent, followed by weekly Adriomycin for 15 weeks along with daily Cytoxan (oral dosage) and Sutent.  After the 27 weeks of chemo, she will have a mastectomy, followed by possibly more chemo.  The neoadjuvant chemo is supposed to shrink the size of the tumor (hopefully) prior to surgery.

Unfortunately, she has become neutropenic (too low white blood cell count) and caught an infection so she had to interrupt chemo this week and start neupogen shots to try to bring up her white blood cell count.  She was admitted to the hospital tonight to get antibiotic IV treatment to help fight the infection.  I'm praying that she is better soon and can restart chemo on Thursday.

That's where we're at and I hope that you are all doing well in your struggle against this beast. Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello and best wishes.

_________________________________________________________________________________ 

Dx 4/2009, 5-6 cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-/HER2- 

• Lcharmie
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hello JourneyNC,

I am glad that you found us!!  Sorry it had to be this way!!!

I feel there is a lot of prayers and strength  on this thread. 

Hang in here with us--no doubt about it, it is a long and winding road, but we are here to walk with you along the way.  I feel I have learned new information and certainly gained new strengths, just from hearing from these ladies.

Hoping you start to feel better every day.

Take care.

Linda C.

• Lcharmie
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hello taj72,

I am glad you are there for your Mom, we will certainly be here if you need us.  Sometimes people just need to talk to someone, to gain more strength.

I am sorry that Mom is going through a rough time right now--wishing that she will be better soon.

Let us hear you.

Take care.

Linda C

• patoo
    edited June 2009
    Options

JournyNC and Taj72 - I ditto Linda's comments.  Welcome although we wish it were not here in this forum. 

This is the most trying time - from diagnosis to the start of treatment.  It seems overwhelming but you can, and will, get through it.  I encourage you to visit these threads often to learn and get the emotional support that you really cannot find totally from people who have not walked this journey.

My Dear Lord in Heaven, here are three more of your children who need your loving touch that will surround them throughout this walk.  Please help JourneyNC to withstand the trials of her treatment, giving her the strength to tolerate them.  We ask for your blessings upon taj72 as she supports her mom.  It won't be easy dear Lord for either of them but we know that with your grace and mercy it will be doable.  For Taj72's mom, dear Lord, we ask that you also give her the strength for this journey.  Praying that the three of them will reach out and hold onto your loving hand as you guide them and their medical teams.

Please keep in touch and let us know hoe it's going.

Blessings.

• taj72
    taj72 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hi ladies!  Thanks for the warm welcome.  I am happy to report that my mom was discharged from the hospital today and sent home.  She started her neupogen shots today and those should help her WBC stay at a decent level for her to continue her chemo regimen.  She is scheduled for next chemo on  Thursday and we'll have some lab and U/S results from the first three rounds of chemo to let us know if the tumor is shrinking.  Keep us in your prayers and you're all in mine!  Thanks for being here.

• patoo
    edited June 2009
    Options

Thanks Taj for the update.  Please let your mom know that she is in our prayers.  She is certainly blessed to have you as her daughter.

• JourneyNC
    JourneyNC Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2009
    Options

I really admire and appreciate the Blessings to help us through these trials. Thank You, Thank You, Thank YOU!

Sometimes I pinch myself and cannot believe I'm going through this and Life continues on for everyday People. I hope I can be a pillar for someone to hold onto like I'm holding on here.

Blessings to All 

• indomitable1
    edited June 2009
    Options

No, few (if any) of us would have signed up to be in this exclusive club, but nevertheless, here we are-supporting and surviving...... These boards and especially the women on this thread have been a great support to me in this journey. In all things we give thanks, and I thank God for having  prayers from prayer warriors like patoo, encouragement from iLinda, inspiration from Rogamm, knowledge from Roya,  the example set by TripleNegative. There are entirely too many of us on this journey but with faith, knowledge, support  and His power we Will be victorious. Check out the Chemotherapy site for how to prepare and what to know. I, too, have to get the Neupogen shots and work in a hospital which makes being neutropenic more than a notion. ( On the other hand, masks take the attention off my wigs and disappearing eyebrows....)

Just know that, here, you'll have a safe place to ask questions, vent, and ask for prayer requests. God Bless you, Taj, and your mother. & Blessings to you JourneyNC. God will take us through.  Triple Negative? Nothing is too hard for God.

• patoo
    edited June 2009
    Options

Lord I lift up all my sisters to your tender loving care.  May they know deep down, through and through, your power to take them through.  With you nothing is impossible.

• Roya
    Roya Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2009
    Options

Patoo, thank you for bringing this thread back.  I just wanted to let everyone know that I received the phone call that assures me that my first mammo since surgery is completely normal!  This is such a relief to me.  Yes, with GOD, nothing is impossible!    Absolutley nothing is impossible!!! 

My sisters, pleeeeeese keep believing!  Our God works in mysterious ways, His wonders to behold!

• patoo
    edited June 2009
    Options

Roya, that is absolutely thrilling news.  I'm am so very happy for you. 

We do know that our God works in mysterious ways and ALWAYS for our benefit.  He doesn't take us anywhere that he won't lead us through.

Blessings.

• Lcharmie
    edited June 2009
    Options

Oh Roya,

Such Blessed Wonderful News!!!!

My Moms' words("Ain't God Good"??!!) It warms my heart to even say those words!!!  We know he is!!!

Stay Blessed!!

Linda C,