Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Comments

• Sewaneegirl
    Sewaneegirl Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2013

I had the bed wedge at the condo I was in after I got out of the hospital but had a rented hospital bed at home. I didn't find the wedge very comfortable and had a hard time situating myself. I liked the hospital bed a lot better. They gave me a choice of mattresses (foam or springs) and I got the foam mattress. I also liked that I could bring the head part all the way up and it was like a "push-up" chair. When I wasn't very mobile it made getting out easier. Then before I got back in I would lower the head so it was easier to get in and put the pillow where my head would be right on it (since I couldn't reach up and behind).

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited March 2013

Thank you Sewaneegirl!  This is all good information.  

• ReneeinOH
    ReneeinOH Member Posts: 232
    edited March 2013

I just lived on my recliner couch for about 1.5 weeks.  But, I had use of my one arm/side, so getting up, etc. was a lot easier for me, I'm sure, than BMXers.  The pain meds knocked me out; I slept most of the first week+.

• grammietofour
    grammietofour Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2013

Good afternoon my BC sisters - Can any of you recommend a cami or "undershirt" that is comfortable to wear under another shirt?  There are so many out there but would like any recommendations you all have. 

Also, I have a shirt from the healingthreads.com website that is to wear postop with pockets for the drains and velcro closures everywhere so you can wear it to the doc postop and not have to change into a gown, etc.  If you go to their site, it is the "casual" top in pink.  It is very nice and soft and I loved it for all my postop visits.  It is an XL I think (ok - I weigh about 210 pounds and it fit me great and could fit smaller size because of a sash closure that wraps around).  If someone could use this and is in need, I would love to pass it along to one of you.  Just drop me a note and I will mail it to you. 

Grammie

• Skagitphoenix
    Skagitphoenix Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2013

Help please! Many gals suggest different kinds of bras for post surgery. I am scheduled for a double mastectomy (sorry, I am unfamiliar with all the abbreviations) and have no idea what size to buy. Will I be totally flat & need bras that are for A cups? I currently wear a D or DD. I am also being rushed to have surgery as soon as possible, so I dont have much time to shop or make decisions.

Also, is the recovery super difficult for a double mastectomy? Gals are saying how difficult it is to get out of bed & a recliner after a mastectomy, so I am getting really worried that I will be incredibly limited after having a double mastectomy.

Please note I am a single mother of 3 & also their sole provider financially. Any help or suggestion on cheap things to help aid in my recovery would be helpful. Are there places that sell the special camisoles, bras, etc second hand?

Thank you to everyone!

• ReneeinOH
    edited March 2013

Hi softballaholic.  Best of luck to you on your surgery.  It's not clear whether you are having immediate reconstruction. Have you talked to your surgeon about post-surgery care and what they may send you home with? I was sent home w/bras--some hospitals supply those; others do not. I came home wrapped in an Ace bandages (well, two) and kept those on until I went in for a post-op check up. You definitely want to find a bra without wires.  Something like this, which is at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/13997199?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227009890739&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=13957333270&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem You'll go by your inches around your body (vs. cup size).

The biggest thing you'll need is time to recuperate.  So if you don't have help planned, please get some.  Have people have dinners made for you.  Ask a friend to organize this.  There's a handy site (free) to organize participation: https://nfca.lotsahelpinghands.com/caregiving/home/  You will not be in any shape to take care of children for at least two weeks--do you have help, can they do for themselves?  And definitely no lifting.  You won't be able to open medication bottles, getting up and down will be difficult if w/a double mastectomy, so plan for that.  And keep up on your meds to manage pain.  

I wouldn't worry about having a lot of "stuff."  Have zip down or button down tops (you'll only need a few)--you won't be allowed to lift up your arms.  It's nice to have pockets on the inside, but you can always pin the drains to your clothes.  Then wear sweats or pj bottoms to be comfy.  

BOTTOM LINE: Let your body heal after surgery.  Do not push things.  It's important that you take it easy and heal, otherwise you do risk lengthening the healing time, lymphedema, and being in additional pain.  Ask for help (you've got an excellent excuse to get help!)

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,480
    edited March 2013

softballaholic, welcome to Breastcancer.org.

As well as the information you'll find on this helpful thread, we wanted to send you to look at the Paying for Your Care section of the main Breastcancer.org site. Even for those with good insurance, there is help for dealing with living expenses like travel and child care, and paying for medicines.

Best wishes,

• The Mods

• Sewaneegirl
    edited March 2013

Softballholic,

I wanted to add that the hospital will provide you with a post-surgery bra (or two), so I wouldn't recommend buying one before surgery. Let this be one thing you don't have to worry about for now.

Also, don't be alarmed by the various recovery comments. In my experience the mastectomy itself was not that difficult. It was the reconstruction that involved so much recovery.

Some of us had mastectomy which also involved some sort of reconstruction. And there are many roads to reconstruction, so our recoveries from that part of the surgery are widely varied. For example, I at the same time I had the mastectomy I also had tissue taken from my fanny and used to begin the process if rebuilding my breasts. I will have more surgery when this is healed. Other people have implants and they may have tissue expanders inserted after their mastectomy . Still other people do the mastectomy and wait before (if ever) doing reconstruction.

So please don't let this overwhelm you.

• Skagitphoenix
    edited March 2013

Thank you ladies for the suggestions & the caring words. This couldnt have come at a worse time for me. I know I should ask for help, but I have recently survived an abusive marriage and as most people know, the main thing an abuser does is make sure you have no friends, no one to turn to, no one to ask for help. He also ruined me financially.

And I am already disabled due to previous non-cancer surgeries that caused major nerve damage in my left foot & lower back. I am in constant pain & unable to walk, stand or sit for any length of time. Laying down is the only comfortable position & now it looks like that will be out, for a good long while at least.

As far as the surgery is concerned & reconstruction, it has barely been discussed. The surgeon said that it will depend on what the find once they start cutting. I have 4 masses in my left breast & only 2 of them show up really well on the ultrasound. The MRI will give us more information, but the surgeon didnt feel comfortable making any promises.

The surgeon & oncologist are suggesting having the right breast removed at the same time, mainly cuz the cancer appears to be very aggressive. And it looks like my ovaries will need to come out, too, just not sure when.

I am overwhelmed, confused, sad, angry, etc. How can I not feel sick? How can all this be happening so fast? I just found out a little over a week ago & surgery may be scheduled as soon as this Friday! Its whenever they have an opening. I havent even told my employer yet!

Oddly, I feel far more comfortable speaking here, to strangers, than I do to people that I have known for years.

Thank you for the advice & suggestions. How far up will I be able to lift my arms? Will I be able to brush my teeth? Will I be able to pull on pants? Button up a shirt to the top? How will I even get a shirt on? I was thinking perhaps dresses would be best, especially if I can step into them. I think they'd be easier for when I have to use the bathroom. Speaking of, will I be able to take care of my personal hygiene? I just cant imagine asking someone for help in that area!

Thank you all and wishing you all the best!

• kap
    kap Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2013

Softballaholic...

So sorry you are going through this. I just had a bmx on 3/8, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Stay on top of your pain meds most importantly. Ask for meds without child proof caps - you won't be able to open them. I was able to take care of my hygiene for the most part. Couldn't wash my hair or back, but was able to do everything else. Wear button up shirts or dresses you can step into. The women on these boards have been wonderful. Good luck!

• grammietofour
    grammietofour Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2013

Oh my, first of all take a deep breath.  The women on these boards are great and we will help get you through this.  Can you let us know what your pathology report has shown?  It is hard to tell what you have going on without that info.  But, it sounds like you are having surgery, at least mastectomy and maybe bilateral.  I had a bilateral 4 weeks ago today and am turning the corner in the past few days.  Everyone recovers differently.  I slept in a recliner until a week ago, tried the bed for one night and am back in the recliner for comfort.  I drove today for the first time, yeah!  I was able to lift up to a gallon of milk right after surgery.  Could take care of my "bathroom duties" by myself and my daughter washed my hair in the kitchen sink.  I bought some men's button up the front shirts - cheapo - at Walmart a couple of sizes too big and they were perfect, easy to button up and slip on.  Also wore them at night with sweat pants - no trouble pulling up loose pants.  Hang a lanyard or ribbon around your neck to hold your drains while in the shower.  I put together a small basket of things that I would want at arm's reach on the couch during the day such as remote control, paper and pen, cell phone, a couple of snacks, pain medicine or other medicine, and I kept it right next to me on the couch to get to.  Give us a quick update on your diagnosis, etc., and we can provide some more insight for you!  Grammie

• Skagitphoenix
    edited March 2013

Well, to be quite honest I kind of feel like my diagnosis is a secret that is being kept from me. I know it is ductal carcinoma in at least 2 masses in my left breast. I am positive for both estrogen & progesterone & HER2 (whatever that means). Still waiting for the results on the genetic test, but since my grandma had breast cancer & my aunt had ovarian cancer, the doctors seem to be leaning towards cutting everything even remotely feminine off/out. I keep being told that we'll know more after surgery.

Thank you for the tips about having a basket of necessary items. Dont know how much sitting in the living room I will be doing, tho. I dont own a recliner & am already mostly in my bed when at home. But I like the idea of having a basket, so if I do change places, it can all go with me.

Thanks!

• ReneeinOH
    edited March 2013

That's too bad that you do not understand your diagnosis softballholic. The next time you see your dr., please ask for a copy of your pathology report, so you have the details.  If you haven't read the resources on this site, please take some time--clearly explains your diagnosis, what you can expect with surgery, etc. Start here: http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/diagnosis

You will be able to brush your teeth.  I was told not to take a shower until my drains were taken out.  So, I bought non-scented wipes, but you could just use a wash cloth to wipe yourself down.  You will be able to pull on pants.  You'll just want to avoid lifting your arms above your head, hence the button down or zip up shirts/hoodies.  I stayed in sweat pants and a zip up hoodie while recuperating.

We all shared our ideal of post surgery recovery, but if you are limited in means and support, you still can make it through this.  The main thing is to have time to rest, and as others have said, staying up on your medication to deal with the pain are the primary pieces.  If you run into issues, please let us know and we'll try to coach you through.

• Cheri9724
    Cheri9724 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013

I just wanted to thank everyone for posting in here.  I am scheduled for double mastectomy with diep reconstruction, and ovaries are being removed on April 10, 2013.  Because of this site, I've been able to make a conclusive list of eveything I need to do and need to have.  I feel so much better going into my surgery feeling prepared for recovery.  I even rented an electric recliner with lift, massage and heat!  I'm set!  

Cheri

• AvoirEspoir
    AvoirEspoir Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2013

Hello, I am Laura Burgess and I am a third year fashion entrepreneurship student at the University of Central Lancashire (UK). For my Final major project my business concept is to create a range of feminine lingerie for women whom have had a mastectomy. 

Avoir Espoir will create a range of lingerie which will be trend led altering shapes, colourways and prints depending on the season’s trends. The mission is to create lingerie which will make women feel confident and help merge the health and wellness market with luxury fashion.

I would really appreciate if you can fill out my questionnaire. Please be as honest as possible and constructive comments are welcomed. This will enable me to gain necessary research to create a product which satisfies the customer needs and wants. 

The survey is in 3 parts, click the links below and it will take you immediately to the pages. Thank you for taking the time to fill out my questionnaire. All of your comments are valued and they will help me with finalising my collection. 

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KY6T282

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/965RVW5

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DYLYNXM

• GreenCowgirl
    GreenCowgirl Member Posts: 80
    edited April 2013

Laura, I think woman here are in need of real comfort garmets during and after masectomy or recon. Clothing that hold drains,etc.  Everything i looked up was overpriced and just average in construction and quality.  Trust me when i say lingerie is not high on my list of priorities when recovering from breast cancer.

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    edited April 2013

Off to surgery this morning. back on 4/4. Prayers and/or fingers crossed appreciated!

Peggy

• Sewaneegirl
    edited April 2013

Right on, Cowgirl! I bought some clothes to wear after my GAP mastectomy but my criteria were: comfy; decent/looking; likely wearable after all was over; and interior pockets that could hold a drain. My favorite jacket was a velour jacket from LL Bean for $29 and I still wear it!

• ReneeinOH
    edited April 2013

Good luck Peggy!

• shellshine
    shellshine Member Posts: 930
    edited April 2013

Packing List - Don't bring too mch stuff

Magazines: New Yorker, People, More, Time or Newsweek

Cell phone

Travel size Facial wash and Moisturizer

Feminine shirt and a pair of soft pull on shorts or pants to wear to sleep at night

2 pairs underpants

Brush, toothbrush, toothpaste

Cute, warm Bathrobe

Slip on shoes

warm socks

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited April 2013

Dear Peggy -- I have been thinking about you so much!!  All day yesterday and today.

xxxxooooo bobogirl

• Chinneymae
    Chinneymae Member Posts: 173
    edited April 2013

Hi everyone. I am having BMX this month. I got a site from a video that had bras and camis. The cami comes with boob inserts and pockets that hold the drains. The pockets can be removed and placed on the bra they have too. The site is www.faithandhopeboutique.com. They are a little pricey, but the girl on the video had hers on and it looked really comfortable and the drains fit right into the pockets and were out of the way.

• Foreverchanged72612
    Foreverchanged72612 Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2013

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to come back and post what actually worked for me post surgery. I really appreciated having this forum to read through before surgery but in the end what I wore non-stop were yoga pants and a zip up fleece lined jacket with interior pockets. I had 2 surgical camis with pockets for the drains. One was my actual size so wayyyy too small after surgery. The other one was one size up and I found that where the pockets were for the drains was bulky and uncomfortable for walking around. It wasn't bad for sleeping, though. I bought baby washcloths because you get more for your $$. I was using 2-3 washcloths twice a day to gently wash and use as a warm compresses under my arms. I did not shower while I had drains in. I slept on my back in my bed with a couple of pillows under my knees and three pillows under my head. My husband had to get me in and out of bed. I read about a lot of women sleeping in a recliner. I think that might have been nice but I wasn't willing to buy a recliner.

What I found didn't work for me: I bought a couple of button up shirts two sizes up but they just looked big and bulky. Like I said, the jacket with inside pockets was the best thing for me and my drains.

• Skagitphoenix
    edited April 2013

Well I finally had my bilateral mastectomy last Wednesday. My two hour "day" surgery turned into a 6 hour nightmare cuz the surgeon couldn't find my lympth nodes. On a good note, he didn't find anything suspicious looking on my left breast, so we are assuming the MRI was overly sensitive. But it meant he had an easier time with the surgery on that breast & didn't need to take out any lymph nodes on that side. Who knows how long I'd have been under if he'd needed to take out lymph nodes on that side, too?!

I am doing really well. I am in the middle of nowhere when it comes to medical care, so my situation sounds different than most gals'. My surgeon was only a surgeon to remove the cancer. No reconstruction type stuff was done. I guess when it comes time for reconstruction I will be doing some traveling.

The hospital had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about camisoles to hold the drains or bras or even ace bandages. They gave me two safety pins (and probably charged me hundreds of dollars for them, ha, ha).

Unfortunately, I spent money I didn't have on items I don't need, such as bras, button down blouses, large shirts & sweaters, camisoles, etc. Turns out, I don't have any physical limitations. I can wear whatever I want. I'm not going out, so I don't really care about my drains showing. I'm just pinning them to whatever I have on. And I get them out tomorrow, so it won't even have been a whole week with them. 

I certainly don't need a bra of any type & am upset I spent so much money getting special ones. Hopefully I can take them back. I can reach above my head, I can open my medicine bottles, etc. And I can shower & wash my hair! However, I am extremely tired. It's gonna take a long time to get back to any sort of normal sleep schedule. I have no problems getting in & out of bed, but the drains & incisions are super painful when bumped, so sleeping has been a real issue. Its hard to find a position that is comfortable for more than a few minutes.

I am glad this list & suggestions were available & that I followed them. It is way better to be over prepared than under prepared.

My suggestion is that if you're not sure you'll need it, keep the tags & the receipt, so that hopefully you can return the item.  

Thank you all for your warm wishes & I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my recovery continues to go smoothly & that anyone else coming up on a bilateral mastectomy has an easy recovery.

• ldesim
    ldesim Member Posts: 1,193
    edited May 2013

This list was invaluable to me, however, I didn't need half the items on it.  I had almost full range of motion from the first day.  I had 2 camis with drain pockets that the hospital provided to me, but found that the pockets were too low and after a few days the "pulling" of the drains was irritating.  I ended up pinning the drains near the exit site to whatever I was wearing with a large safety pin and that worked a treat. 

I have a recliner and bought a wedge for the bed, but ended up pushing the sofa against the wall and using one of those bed prop pillows with the arms and a couple of pillows over it and slept that way quite comfortably propped up. Once the drains were removed, I returned to my bed, I was able to sleep on my good side and had a body pillow behind me to keep me from rolling over on my bad side.

The hospital sent me home with a huge supply of gauze and tape and my BS provided me with a prescription for a stool softener, so I didn't need to purchase those items either (even though I did).  So double check before you go buying things!

Best of luck to everybody for a speedy recovery!

• Skagitphoenix
    edited May 2013

Well, I have learned a hard lesson - Cancer is very humbling. Just when I thought things were going well, the pathology report came back. Turns out the surgeon was wrong. I have cancer in both breasts. However, it is a different type of breast cancer. The left has Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (which we all already knew) and the right has several areas of Lobular cancer (sorry I can't remember if it was invasive or in situ - I was in so much shock & I don't think it really matters which one it is). I don't know if it is rare to have both kinds or not. I know my surgeon and oncologist were flabbergasted that completely normal appearing tissue contained three different areas of lobular carcinoma. So, now my case gets to be presented before some large board of doctors for review. I hope it does someone some good somewhere.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for how to get all the tape residue off? I seem to be covered with it & can't get it off.

THANKS!

• kap
    kap Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2013

Softballaholic- so sorry about the pathology report. I used baby oil to get the tape residue off. Worked like a charm.

• cheri1859
    cheri1859 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2013

Softballaholic...I'm so sorry about your results.  I wish I could come up with some of words of wisdom to cheer you up.  However, one way of looking at it is that at least you had them both removed...now it's just one foot in front of the other in terms of your treatment from here.  Please keep us posted.

As for the resisdual glue on your skin....I've heard that veggie oil or baby oil on a piece of gauze, using gentle circular movements should do the trick (soap and water just doesn't cut it - as you've probably already figured out).  Just be gentle because your skin is probably already irritated from the tape and the subsequent attempts at rubbing it off.

hang in there sweetie!!

Cheri

• ReneeinOH
    edited May 2013

Sorry to hear about your dx softballaholic.  I don't know how common it is to have different types of BC, but it certainly does happen. Lobular is less common, I believe.  Would encourage you to check in with those threads on this board for more info.  As far as getting the tape residue off--you can try some rubbing alcohol, but depends on how sensitive the skin is in that area.  Eventually it will wash off; it does stick around for a while.

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited May 2013

Didn't have tape residue but did have glue residue from LX. I used baby oil gel with aloe; let it soak for a while and very gently peeled it off. You might check with your BS for their advice esp. is there is a lot of residue or any open skin.

Sorry about the unexpected diagnosis complications. Renee's advice is very good; know there is a lobular thread. Write down all your questions for doc so you are prepared in advance. Is there a breast nurse navigator at your hospital or near you?  Prayers and best wishes.