Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Comments

• Lisa_Lock
    Lisa_Lock Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2013

I cut up an old t shirt and used the Heatbond iron on adhesive to "sew" pockets in all my button down pajama tops. I am hoping this will hold the drains comfortably as I want to be able to go to the bathroom on my own.: )

• Lisa_Lock
    Lisa_Lock Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2013

Do different pain meds work better than others? I have only used Lortab for pain, but wondered if there were some that worked better? I also have a real problem with nausea. 

• JanetB1961
    JanetB1961 Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2013

I only had one drain, thankfully, so a safety pin worked fine for me, but sounds like you found a great solution. For the shower, I just washed a ribbon (super long one that came wrapped around a pair of PJ's from Penny's). Just slipped it through the drain loop and tied the ribbon round my neck.

For pain, Tylenol/codeine was all I needed, but for my TE procedure, Norco and Tramadol both worked for me. I didn't have nausea with the Tramadol, but it's a lighter pain med. Promethazine helped with the nausea when it did hit, plus I kept saltines on hand. Cut down a LOT on the pain meds once my PA gave me SOMA, the miracle of muscle relaxers! ; )

• Sewaneegirl
    Sewaneegirl Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2013

Dear all,

I am 5 weeks post- GAP and thought I'd put in my 2-cents worth. These lists were really helpful.

LLBean also has little velour/fleece zip-up jackets that have pockets on the inside that are large enough/placed right for drains. I'd get a couple of those and a pair of nice looking black yoga pants, one size larger than your regular size. (For the GAP, your hips are smaller but you have drains.). Then you have something to wear out. The yoga pants were a great substitute for regular pants and make you feel a little more "dressed" than sweats or scrubs.

I bought a toilet seat riser and actually found it helpful. Same for a "grabber." You don't have to have the riser but it is so much more comfortable.

I bought a package of Always maxi-thins. If all had gone perfectly, I wouldn't have needed them, but I have a draining hematoma and they make great (thin and absorbent) dressings. If you need dressings the dr will give you tape, ointment and gauze - but the gauze is bulky, messy, and harder to use.

I rented a hospital bed. It cost $50 altogether for set-up/removal and $6/day. It was a huge help because the hardest thing for me was getting into bed with a big mound of pillows.

Also, protein consumption is really important for healing. I used a body-builder EAS-brand chocolate drink with 42 grams of protein and 300 calories - 2 a day. It was an easy way to ensure I got enough protein every day.

• chemicalworld
    chemicalworld Member Posts: 48
    edited February 2013

This might sound silly, but when I went in for my surgery, I purchased a "going home" outfit, brand new for the occasion.  Which really was just a pair of yoga pants and a zip fleece, but having something new to put on when I felt crappy made me feel a little bit better. 

I also boarded my dog for a few days after surgery (she was already boarded during, I just left her in an extra couple days)

• Foreverchanged72612
    Foreverchanged72612 Member Posts: 66
    edited February 2013

Chemicalworld: that does not sound silly at all. That sounds genius!! I bought a new button up shirt to wear home from the hospital...2 sizes too big.

Sewanee: thanks for the reminder on protein. I had really focused on that during chemo but forgot that it would be good for post-surgery, too.

• grammietofour
    grammietofour Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2013

Ladies, I bought a great blouse online at HealingThreads.com. they have several styles that have large pockets for the drains. I did not anticipate how large they would be. Also the front velcroes shut with panels on each breast that open up for an exam so great for wearing to doc. the material is super soft for comfort. On the site check the Sale area for any deals. I got my shirt for 50% off but it would have been worth every penny even full price. I LOVE it.

• Sewaneegirl
    edited March 2013

Chemical - I sort of did the same thing with a "going home" outfit. It was a great morale-booster.

Forever - the other thing I have enjoyed eating is Ezekiel brand bread. No preservatives, so it is in the frozen food section, but whole grain, with lots of protein and fiber, too. And they have cinnamon raisin, which made great toast.

• VeganNicole
    VeganNicole Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013

Oh good, I thought I was a little crazy for thinking I would wear leggings and this new cute, loose tunic (that I found at the thrift store last week for $4!) home from my surgery! :)

I have also prepared for my surgery (March 12) by buying stool softener, flushable wipes, and a massaging, heated pad (Comfort Motor Massage Plush Mat with Heat on Amazon) to put on the recliner I'm going to borrow from a friend for sleeping in. I normally sleep on my side and turn from side to side during the night (I have scoliosis and have back pain many nights if I'm not stretching regularly). I figure the vibrating, heated mat can get the blood flowing when I'm in the same position all night long. I set out all of the comfortable clothes that will be easy to put on by stepping into them (rather than pulling over my head). I'm doing everything I can think of this week that I won't be able to after my surgery (landscaping work outside even though it's still freezing out there, going in our hot tub).

As for protein recommendations, no one in the developed world is at risk for being protein deficient as long as they are eating a varied diet. For a list of healthy protein sources from whole plant foods (which will also fill you up with fiber and phytonutrients and spare you the cholesterol, high levels of saturated fat, and other toxins that you will get from animal-based sources of protein like meats and dairy) check out this excellent resource: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm 

• Sewaneegirl
    edited March 2013

Vegan - sounds like you're ready to roll. Good luck!

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited March 2013

Can anyone speak to the whole 'recliner vs. renting a hospital bed' thing?  I'm just not sure what to do.  I'm 5'11.. I don't want to worry my little ones by bringing a hospital bed in, but I don't want to not be able to sleep either..

• ReneeinOH
    ReneeinOH Member Posts: 232
    edited March 2013

Got great advice from this thread, and now I'm 10 days out from surgery, this is what worked for me: Found the Danskin brand makes hoodies with inside/outside pockets (can get at Walmart).  I bought two, and just stay in them day and night, with sweat pants or pj bottoms.  Made packing easy for hospital and took chapstick, clean underwear, toothbrush/paste, glasses case (DH took my glasses right before I went into operating room), cell phone (I have curly hair, so forget about combing it!).  Just wore to the hospital what I planned to wear for recovery (hoodie and sweats),so didn't bother with extra clothes. Was sent home wrapped in ace bandages, and my PS provided  front zipper bra (for later use). Did find my surgery delayed, so was able to post to folks from the Kindle Fire we brought (DH streamed Netflix when I was in surgery), and we were able to touch base with folks (via web through the Kindle) after surgery. 

At home, I just stayed put on my recliner couch. Used couch pillows to prop up arm of side of surgery (very soft). Kept up on my pain meds so I felt fine (slept so much because of it too, but that's OK).  Took a stool softener daily, but didn't "move me," so would definitely recommend also starting Miralax (generic equivalent is fine) right when you come home from hospital.  I waited a few days (expecting stool softener to do the trick), so I was miserable by the end of week one. I had a a single mastectomy, so getting up, drinking, etc. was not much of an issue, since I had one "good side."  Still couldn't do things like open medicine bottles. Had everything I needed--meds, water, phone, laptop, small book to record med taking. Had a chiropractic pillow (indentation in the middle), which helped keep my head centered/supported for sleeping/watching TV.  Was diligent about drinking water, drinking yogurt smoothies (probiotics), and eating well.  Personal wipes (in lieu of shower); did not have a problem leaning over tub to have DH wash my hair.

Told anesthesiologist I get sick from anesthesia, so I had a patch placed behind my ear right before surgery and kept it on for a couple of days when I got home.  Had immediate appetite after surgery, and never got sick.

• Sewaneegirl
    edited March 2013

Bobo -

I rented the hospital bed without the rails. Then it just looks like a fancy roll-away and I bought a twin-sized electric blanket and comfy blanket for it. I had it delivered before I left for the surgery and it was waiting, all made up for me when I got home.

I did it both ways ... Recliner/bed/pillows before getting home and then hospital bed at home. I personally felt like I slept better in the hospital bed. Also, I was able to put it in the room next to where my caregiver slept and next to the bathroom that had my toilet seat riser in it.

You will probably have to tell the kids something about your surgery anyhow, to keep them from hugging you hard, accidentally bumping you, and if you do that and leave the rails off, they shouldn't be a factor either way about whether you get a hospital bed or not.

• Foreverchanged72612
    edited March 2013

Sorry to ask...what is a toilet seat riser?

• maureen1
    maureen1 Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2013

It's a toilet seat that sits on posts/a platform on top of your existing toilet seat. It makes it higher in elevation so it's easier to get up and down. They are usually temporary so you can easily remove them when you don't need them anymore. Here's a picture:)

Some newer toilets are already higher and don't need risers...

• greeneggsnham
    greeneggsnham Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013

I just wanted to say thank you, thank you, thank ALL of you for the information you provided here. My mom had her mastectomy (right breast) on 3/6 and you have no idea HOW helpful this information was when I was researching information for her surgery. I made a list with all of the things everyone suggested here and it made a WORLD of difference on her recovery at the hospital and at home. With how stressful everything has been, you have no idea how much every little bid helps.

I had a hard time finding front closing wireless bras -- the best luck I had was at Sears! Wal mart had some as well but the quality of the Sears ones was definitely better (they had a zip up type front)

• Sewaneegirl
    edited March 2013

Sorry, Forever. I shouldn't have assumed you'd have any idea what that was. I had a GAP (tissue taken from the fanny to reconstruct my breasta) at the same time as my mastectomy, so I needed a taller toilet seat. I felt ridiculous ordering it from Amazon but it didn't cost much and made things far less painful ...

• windycityDCIS
    windycityDCIS Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2013

Hi Everyone- I'm 2 months post BMX+ immediate reconstruction for diffuse DCIS and I've had a good recovery and am preparing for exchange surgery Mar 19.  I devoured the various tips etc. from friends and from this discussion board, so here are the ones that were most helpful to me.

Getting rid of the drains will be like a religious experience - they reallly are the worst part of the recovery.

Stay ahead of the pain (i set my alarm the first couple nights home and never had any horrible pain)

Take stool softener as soon as you get home (never was constipated but got close, which was bad enough)

Clothes- i put a basket of "recovery" clothes on a table in my bedroom.  It was (is) full of hanes mens t-s and tanks, yoga pants, cute pj bottoms, undies, sox.

Dressing post drain removal (that's when you actually feel liberated to go out into the world).  In addition to a bunch of hanes t shirts, I went to sears/lands end before my surgery and brought a bunch of cheap, cute blouses, sweaters that I could throw over my tshirts/tanks, and its worked great and I've felt feminine and that my boobs are nice and camoflaged.  I didn't have a lot of range of motion problems, but I realized that the reason you want loose fitting clothes iis also that it doesn't feel good to have anything too close to your skin (both b/c of stiches and then weird nerve sensations).  The first couple weeks when I wore a necklace, i would start feeling a flushing sensation b/c it was too close to the areas where nerves cut).

Do the stretches/range of motion exercises.

Don't worry about how your boobs look. THey are going to look weird for awhile.

• GreenCowgirl
    GreenCowgirl Member Posts: 80
    edited March 2013

I too got sooo many awesome ideas from this board, so i felt very prepared.  i live in the xxl tanks from walmart, sooo soft and can put on myelf.  I bought a lanyard for showering or for those times only sponge baths are allowed, like now as i just got two drains removed and am so ready to get rid of the other two.  wear zip up tops that have inner pockets, yoga pants and i just got the okay to switch to bike shorts fromt he awful compression pants. I bought super sof non skid socks for diabetics at walmart0they are very loose and dont did into ankles when we are going through this swelling fun.  I had no dressings, bras, wraps of anysort-only glue ans steri strips, the strips were removed last thursday.  i feel super naked but am told my ps is a minimalist and doesnot want any compression on the chest.  my dh got an electric recliner, its awesome, i slept in it the first two days then used a foam wedge with two pillows on top and sleep great.

• Foreverchanged72612
    edited March 2013

Thank you so much to those post-surgery that come back here to post!! I find it so helpful. My surgery is scheduled for Mar 21 so I am ramping up my prep. Question: why do so many of you recommend men's tanks or the xxl tanks? Is it because they slip over the head easy? Are you super swollen after surgery? I was given a surgical camisole from the hospital that is a size larger than I normally wear...is that going to be too small? And I have one that fits just right now so probably won't be useful much after surgery. GreenCowgirl: I haven't heard of the compression pants...was this the doctor that told you to do this? Is it for keeping the swelling down?

• kap
    kap Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2013

Day 2 after surgery. Not in as much pain today but still very sore. I have my drains pinned to my surgical bra and wear men's button down shirts. I am swollen. Reminds me of the swelling i had before my milk came in when i had my daughter. Hard swollen breasts. Hopefully they will soften up as the swelling goes down.

• maureen1
    edited March 2013

I've been wearing yoga pants and zip up fleece or sweatshirt tops with pockets to hold the drains...I get cold from the ice packs and need to wear some type of shirt to keep my chest warmer but I have swelling in my chest and 4 drains so my regular size shirts don't fit well... the men's tops are too big in the chest and shoulders and too narrow in the hips for me so I am wearing one size larger women's tops that are easier to get over my head. Karrie...now that you mention it...the tightness in my chest does remind me of when I was breast feeding and my milk needed to "let down" - used to take a nice warm shower to ease that feeling but can't shower with these drains so just have to put up with it for now:(

• ReneeinOH
    edited March 2013

I had felt like I did when I had mastitis--when I mentioned that to my PS's nurse, she said that the muscle spasm/muscle tightening.

• GreenCowgirl
    GreenCowgirl Member Posts: 80
    edited March 2013

Forever changed   Hi  It seems that surgeons have very different ideas, so i can only tell you what mine have told me.  They said no way to any ice or heat of any kind as you cannot feel the breast after surgery.  i see many ladies are doing ice and i think it would be a great relief, plus i CAN feel my skin after surgery.  the compression pants were for after the fat grafting the ps did, he likes to add fat arounf the te which prevents many problems like rejection/contracture-even more necessary on the radiated breast.  so i wake up nwith these things on and they are too big, plus of course my period started the day of surgery and they forgot to put the granny panty/pad on me and i was a mess.  It took my nurse many calls and lots of confusion to get a new pair, and in a smaller size.  after one week i can now wear bike shorts.  It does prevent swelling, because i took them of for the niht and in am my hips were plump and sore. hope this helps

• maureen1
    edited March 2013

Yes...agree GreenCowgirl, each surgeon has his/her own set of guidelines based on their experiences and that has to be our "bible" for post op care...my surgeon sent me home with only a light dressing around the drains and steristrips across the incisions but I noticed some surgeons use supportive bras and more dressings or compression - bet that extra support would feel good? He did work with the breast surgeon to save enough skin to slip the implants in and I was so relieved that I didn't lose any feeling in the skin covering my "new" breasts - when I touch the skin it feels just like it did before surgery only tight/swollen, but no numbness or pain in that area! ReneeOH - the explanation from your PS's nurse makes sense...I think I'm feeling the same muscle spasms and tightening that you are - that makes sense since they have to cut the pec muscles to make the pocket for the implant - you're a week ahead of me, did they pull out your drains yet? 

• ReneeinOH
    edited March 2013

Maureen--I will see the PS on Wednesday, and hope to have drain pulled then.  One drain was pulled last Wednesday, and even though I have one, it has been much better in so many ways.  Was also given the OK to drive (but that also had to do because I stopped the pain meds before then).  

My PS explained TE to me this way--if you have your arm down, you'll notice that little plump area at the armpit.  That is your pec muscle in relaxed form.  When they put in the TE, your muscle is flexing at that point--like having the arm extended (as in going to hit a tennis ball).  

• maureen1
    edited March 2013

ReneeinOH - thanks for sharing your PS explanation:) probably why the Tylenol #3 is helping the pain, the tylenol may be helping to relax the pec muscle... Hoping to get a couple of these drains out tomorrow, I'll keep my fingers crossed that they pull yours on Weds!

• Sewaneegirl
    edited March 2013

Forever,

Good questions. I think part of the difficulty is we have variations in our types of reconstruction ...and body type prior to surgery.

Some folks are giving advice for people who are getting implants. Some folks (like me) are talking in terms of part 1 of a free-flap transfer (I had an SGAP). Some people may be talking about part 2 of a flap transfer (which often involves extensive cosmetic work like a butt and/or breast lift and perhaps even liposuction, which may have lots of swelling).

I was fairly small prior to surgery (size 4 or 6) and I just bought one size up in underwear and pants, tops. It just made dressing, especially with 2 hip and 2 breast drains easier. But I never really used any camisole other than the surgery camisole the hospital gave me. I think it depends on what you like to wear and what is most comfortable for you.

I actually bought a really pretty double-breasted felt jacket from Talbots witt 3/4 length sleeves that I could put on over my surgical bra. With a pair of decent yoga pants I didn't feel bad if I had to go someplace out for lunch ... It was a medium and was comfy and big enough to hide my hip drains. I wore it a lot when I got tired of hanging out in flannel pj bottoms!

Good luck with everything.

• keepswimming
    keepswimming Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2013

Thank you all for your input. I have been assembling all the items suggested for my April 8 surgery. Knowing I have a "survival kit" ready helps ease my anxiousness. Like some women, I am a plus size and I found another site for plus size sports bras, it is womanwithin.com. Good luck to all of you.

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited March 2013

Hey there you all:

Could anyone speak to whether or not you rented a hospital bed at home versus having a recliner versus one of those wedge things on the bed?  I'm just not sure what to do, exactly.  I'm nearly 5'11'', if that helps.

Many thanks!