Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Options

Comments

• yellowrose
    yellowrose Member Posts: 181
    edited September 2010
    Options

-

• suemed8749
    suemed8749 Member Posts: 210
    edited March 2008
    Options

Thanks, Sheila. I'm making my list for Wednesday!

Sue

• Unknown
    edited March 2008
    Options

I am wondering if it's not a good idea to keep from lying as flat as possible as soon as possible after TRAM surgery.  Wouldn't that retard the stretching that needs to happen? 

Since I'm going in for a free TRAM in a couple of weeks, I want to get all my ducks lined up.  I certainly will ask my 2 ps's about this.

The big reason I am wary is that after a SNB a number of years ago, my bs had my arm immobilized for ONE DAY to see if that would prevent seromas and my arm became totally frozen in that time.  It would have been better to move as much as possible.  And, no, it did not prevent my developing a seroma. So much for THAT experiment! LOL

Tina

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited March 2008
    Options

bumping for newbies.

Sheila

• maryjaneFL
    maryjaneFL Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Andrea, did you find any large sports bras?  I am having trouble finding them too - I am 46/48 DDD.  I tried Walmart, on large chests, the hooks roll under and hurt, so I am trying to find a zip or snap sports bra for the big sisters Kiss
  • flyrzfan
    flyrzfan Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2008
    Options

Ladies...many thanks! Most of this I would not have thought of on my own...

• lvtwoqlt
    edited March 2008
    Options

flyrz fan, A lot of the items on this list came because we found out the hard way Laughing. For me it was the non-child proof caps on the meds. I would have taken a hammer to open them but I could not lift the hammer Yell. I had to send my dh back to the drug store to change the bottles out for me. I am by myself during the week because he is a long haul trucker and I did not have anyone at home to help me. Make sure that if you get the non-child proof caps and you have small children, to keep them out of their reach but make sure that you can reach them.

I also had problems opening up the screw on lids of soda/water bottles the first time (breaking the seals), fortunately my mom came by the first few weeks when my dh was on the road and helped me with things like that.

Sheila

• maryjaneFL
    maryjaneFL Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2008
    Options

I FINALLY found plus sized cotton sports bras!! This is harder than you think!  I tried the Penny's Glamorize but they are expensive. I finally found a cheap large front hook sports bra at the Just My Size site... www.jms.com. It's only 15.99, plus 5.99 shipping (I wasted at least that much driving around today). I just ordered, so I can't comment, but will  as soon as I get it :)

I really wish more plus-size and large breasted women would post - I  know obese women get cancer too :(

• lvtwoqlt
    edited April 2008
    Options

bumping for newbies

• lvtwoqlt
    edited April 2008
    Options

bumping to the top for newbies.

• AndreaM4567
    AndreaM4567 Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2008
    Options

I wanted to add a few things.

Make sure that you do not have your phone blocked for collect calls or whatever. My husband's cell phone was a different area code and we had blocked all our phones from receiving charges so I could never call and talk to him.

Also, the biggest mistake I have made thus far was not getting those silky nightgowns. I am paying for it constantly. I am plus size and found it hard to find a button up silky night shirt. But please try to find them before your surgery!!

My shower chair has been awesome. Go onto Ebay. They have them very cheap and new.

Get lots of pillows for home. My Mom bought me several of those tiny travel buckwheat pillows and because they wrenched my arm in surgery, I have found great need for them.

Definately make sure you are getting the pain blasters put in your abdomen if you are doing the DIEP. It made everything go really well for pain control in that area. The bag those blasters came in have been great for holding my drains in the shower.

I rented 2 chairs from Rent A Center. Big mistake. The one that lifts is super uncomfortable, hard, and doesn't lay back very far. The manual Lazy Boy one is impossible. You cannot lift the leg section by yourself. You will need someone else to do it and it is also uncomfortable. So try to go to a Medical rental place and see if they have something better.

While in the hospital the PT and OT kept insisting that I sit up however all of those chairs were nearly impossible to be comfortable in because I am plus sized. Ask to sit in a wheelchair instead. They are wider and way better. I hated those metal chair leg bars sticking into my knees.  

I am very dried out and irritated from the breathing tube. So get a humidifer! I love it! Also those Werthers candies have helped to moisten my mouth and throat.

The one last thing I wished I had done was to cut my hair off. I have long hair and it has been a nightmare to deal with. First, it has been hard to wash it by myself. Second, it was been near impossible to put up by myself because of my arm issues. Last, it gets very hot laying in bed with long hair. I would have certainly done a bob cut beforehand had I known.

If I think of more, I will post them.

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited April 2008
    Options

Andrea,

Those are great additions to the list.   Thanks!

otter 

• AndreaM4567
    edited April 2008
    Options

Thanks Otter :)

I need to add the following:

Get those pincher things that pick things up. It is a pincher on a long metal rod with a handle at the end. My grandfather had some and I wished I had gotten some. Anything that goes on the floor stays on the floor until someone else walks by.

Sanitary pads! I have sprung leaks everywhere and I am covered in sanitary napkins right now. It's just making all of this just so much more beautiful Undecided

• Leeayn
    Leeayn Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2008
    Options

Get a manicure and pedicure before your surgery, and a hair cut.  I found my PJs at Macy's, they have plus size button up.  I'm still unable to wear a bra, I had a lumpectomy and lymph node removal (11) on 4/4.   Finally had the drain tube removed today - YEAH!!! 

Make sure to get safety pins, makes it easier to pin your drain tube to your pjs. 

Pillows are the best, I stay propped up on the couch with one under my arm, one behind me and one in my lap, we have a mound of pillows for me to use. 

Laying in bed is very uncomfortable after surgery, or it has been for me.  With large breast, a cut and a drain tube, when you lay down, gravity seems to take over and it's just not comfy!  I have found sitting on the couch is my best option. 

Take a lap throw with you to the hospital, too, and keep it handy.  I've found that keeping the breast area warm helps with the pain. 

Good Luck! 

• otter
    edited April 2008
    Options

bumping up for newbies...

otter 

• AndreaM4567
    edited April 2008
    Options

I had added not to rent recliners but forgot to add: rent a hospital bed instead. I read on another thread that it was only $20 a month for someone after insurance paid. Sure wished I had done that!

I also added a different thread but should have just added here. I am finding that Size 1 baby diapers are much more absorbant than the sanitary napkins for open breast incisions. Someone also added that they put the nursing pads on top of the diapers.

The diapers are great because they are the shape of the breast.

• puppyholic
    puppyholic Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2008
    Options

I bought 2 wedge pillows for my bed. Used them for my back, and then later to raise my legs. It was so hard to get comfortable to sleep. Instead of the lanyard, my friend told me to get really big safety pins. My drains had a plastic tab on them so I could pin them to my clothes or binder. I couldn't shower until they were out.

I would also suggest bringing chapstick (used it a lot) and maybe something to tie your hair back if it's long. I couldn't stand my hair being on my neck and face in the hospital so I had my husband bring me a ponytail thing. It was a lifesaver - especially since I felt so disgusting not showering. I also brought breath mints and gum so my mouth wasn't gross, especially when I had visitors.

Also, when I got home, I found I needed a lot of gauze to put over my wounds so they wouldn't leak on my clothing. I had a bilat DIEP so I had an abdominal and breast incisions.

Good luck - it'll be over before you know it.

• sam408
    sam408 Member Posts: 474
    edited April 2008
    Options

A small step stool has been a great tool to help me get in and out of bed. My bed is a little higher than I realized until I got home but luckily we had the stool on hand because my grandson uses it to reach the sink.

I'm so glad to read about the front hook bras. My PS has told me I could wear a very soft bra but the only thing I was aware of were just regular sports bras. I had a flap 2 1/2 weeks ago and there's no way I could get one of those over my head. I'm going to check out Penney's and also the Hanes on-line site to see what I can find.

• Tina337
    Tina337 Member Posts: 516
    edited April 2008
    Options

bumping up for rkaywilcox

• lvtwoqlt
    edited April 2008
    Options

bumping for newbies

• Roxi
    Roxi Member Posts: 22
    edited April 2008
    Options

Make sure and eat!!! I made the mistake of taking the pain meds as described on an empty stomach. No matter how much you eat, just make sure your stomach has something to digest. I was so sick on Friday that the surgeon had to call in an anti-nausea medicine. The stool softener with plenty of fruit worked wonders for the constipation.

• otter
    edited May 2008
    Options

Fell off to page 2, so bumping again...

otter 

• lvtwoqlt
    edited May 2008
    Options

bumping for namaste

• yellowrose
    yellowrose Member Posts: 181
    edited May 2008
    Options

bumping

• lvtwoqlt
    edited May 2008
    Options

bumping back to top

• AndreaM4567
    edited May 2008
    Options

Adding something: ask your Oncologist if you will be needing a port for chemo. If you do, two things:

1. Make sure you get the Purple Power Port! This port allows you to get chemo, get blood taken, CT scans with dye, and bone scans with contrast without needing an IV. The porta caths and the other ports do not have the capability of doing it all.

2. If you do need a port, get it done in your first surgery if you can. If not, and like me you needed a second surgery to fix a few things, ask for it then. You will just need to coordinate your Vascular Surgeon and your PS. Shouldn't be too difficult. I made the unfortunate mistake of not thinking ahead. Therefore, I have had 3 surgeries in the last 6 weeks. Dumb on my part!

• 1965sally
    1965sally Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2008
    Options

There's another website that has plus size bras - it's called Big Girl Bras.  You can google that anyway.  I ordered from it in the past.  I never found a good place where I could actually go and try on large bras.  JC Penney, as someone already mentioned, was the only place that had any and they had very few.  You might also look for maternity/nursing bras, though they're not cheap.  I was size E when I was nursing and that's when I found that website.  Post-mastectomy and reduction I'm wearing an old nursing bra of mine now, made by Bravo.  The band is nice and wide and low.  Only thing is it goes over the head, and you can't do that right away after surgery.  It took me about 10-14 days to be able to put something on over my head.

Edited to add:  I found cheap cotton "sports" bras at Wal-Mart, front hooks.  They are not for large cup sizes (label says B-C-D) but I think they go pretty high on band sizes.  They do shrink a bit in the dryer though.  (I put quotes around the word sports because these are not very supportive bras.)  It might also be worth calling one of the mastectomy "boutiques" where you get prostheses and see how big their pocket bras go.  Like you said, large-breasted women get cancer too! 

Mastectomy and reduction 4-30-08
    Dx 12/20/2007, DCIS, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+

• tmac
    tmac Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2008
    Options

Okay, I didn't read everyone's comments, so I hope I'm not duplicating.  I'm 4 wks. out from bil-mast. w/tissue expanders.  My last fill is next week, yipee, and tentatively scheduled for my exchange late July/early Aug.  I'm going to the beach the 3rd week in August, and would like to start shopping for a bathing suit.  I'm going from an A pre-surgery to a small C.  I love the Lands End suits, especially since they are at Sears and you can now try them on, etc.  Should I wait until my exchange before buying a suit or after my last fill? 

• otter
    edited May 2008
    Options

tmac, I doubt anyone asked that question on this particular thread, since it deals mostly with the immediate post-recovery period (when you've just come home after surgery).

I think the gals over on the "Reconstruction" topic would have advice for you.  Try posting your question there, to get specific information about post-recon clothing like bathing suits.  I can't help you, because I did not have recon.  Sorry.  (Not sorry that I didn't have recon--sorry that I can't answer your question!)

otter 

• tmac
    tmac Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2008
    Options

Thanks otter.  Wasn't sure the best place to post :)