Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Options

Comments

• di-do-de
    di-do-de Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2008
    Options

I had a modified radical, left breast.

The hospital provided a camelole (sp?) but I am really anxious to wear a bra again. 

I went to a hair dresser for a shampoo about 4 days post-op.  Good move.  I couldn't face leaning over the kitchen sink for a shampoo.

I brought a crochet project to work on while in the hospital and for the first fiew days home.  Not alot of movement in the left arm and kept me busy.

Not much more to suggest.

• bluedasher
    bluedasher Member Posts: 350
    edited October 2008
    Options

I tried button-up shirts at first but found they weren't that comfortable for me. My post surgery instructions included instructions for putting on over the head shirts that work if you are having surgery on only one side -

put the arm on the surgery side into the arm of the shirt
        next put the shirt over your head
        then put your other arm in.

It is easiest with v-neck or scoup necked shirts which give more room for manuevering than regular t-shirts. Reverse the process to take the shirt off. I was more comfortable this way.

I put the drain in the pocket of my sweat shorts which worked fine for one drain from a lumpectomy. Of course that means you have to keep an eye on the cord when using the rest room.   For multiple drains like some people have with both sides being done - especially with reconstruction - I can see that having pockets in a top like the cami would be easier to manage.

• dendell08
    dendell08 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2008
    Options

The surgishorts.com website is up and you can order them now.  I am the survivor and inventor.

Please take a look and read my story and try my shorts.

Jackie

• DVSB
    DVSB Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2008
    Options

Has anyone tried the Softee Two a recovery Camisole ?

it has pockets to store drain bulb and the wetsite says it is really comfortable

• Boscoe
    Boscoe Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2008
    Options

DVSB,

I haven't tried the camisole, but I've read from people who said they were amazing..my doctors office supplies me with one, but I'm thinking of buying an additional one.

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited October 2008
    Options

My hospital gave me 2 camisoles from project camisole - volunteers make camisoles with inside pockets for the mast patients. Here is a link to the local coop that hosts the project camisole http://catawba.ces.ncsu.edu/content/CAMISOLE%20PROJECT 

• AndreaM4567
    AndreaM4567 Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2008
    Options

I have seen one post in here about time. I want to make sure everyone has a time line for needing these items because I was expecting to be up around within 6 weeks. It was honestly 8 weeks before I could move with a little bit of ease. So the shopping ahead and making meals ahead is an excellent idea. Make sure you have about 8 weeks worth of everything.

Also, Mom and I started a new company based on my problems with drain management.

Please check out: http://www.thewallaby.com

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited November 2008
    Options

I have my surgery on Monday. Radical mast on left side.  Yesterday I was at preop and I was okay.  Today I am scared and just want to cry.

• lvtwoqlt
    edited November 2008
    Options

mumayan, we all break down and cry at one point before surgery. I broke down at 11 pm the night before my surgery and my husband was 3 hours away trying to get home (he is a trucker). What you are feeling is completly normal. Don't let everyone tell you that you need to be strong.

Sheila

• MeganMacRae
    MeganMacRae Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2008
    Options

My mom will be having a lumpectomy around the Thursday before Thanksgiving. Are all these things you guys have added to list good for lumpectomy people also? Will she have a drain? I am super anal about having everything lined up before a surgery and with her it's more of a whatever I need you can get once I need it. I want to make this the easiest I can for her. She's a 42 D would it be a good idea for her to either sleep in a recliner or stay in her bed? She keeps telling us Hercules is going away for a bit. Any idea how long before my mom is my mom again? I am scared to death of losing her, and she seems to not be scared at all! If anyone could help that would be great! Thanks so much.

• lvtwoqlt
    edited November 2008
    Options

megan, I just saw where you posted your question about lumpectomies. I had 2 lumpectomies before my bilat mast but without node removal. When I had the lumpectomies on Friday I stayed quiet for 2 to 3 days, stayed on the couch (no recliner at home) and was ready to go back to work by Monday. My bilat mast took a little longer to recover from, I didn't have the range of motion in my arms and that took time to recover from. I was also recovering from the start of my reconstruction.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any more questions about your mom's surgery, you may want to start a new topic with your specific question where you will get more responses.

Sheila

• MeganMacRae
    MeganMacRae Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2008
    Options

Thank you very much for responding. It makes me feel better hearing other women's experiences with lumpectomies. Ironically enough, the cashier I go through at Walmart every week had a mastectomy herself 10 years ago. My mom isn't to that stage yet, but it is nice knowing there are women that I kind of know that have been there. I dragged her to a place called The Pink Petal. They have wigs and things to help with people that have breast cancer. She was able to get some bras that will help her and will be getting some of those camisoles that hold the drains. It was an amazing experience being in there. I didn't know if I should have been crying in there for those women or super proud for them for the fight they were battling. This is a big time learning experience!!!

• BevR
    BevR Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2008
    Options

I'm having surgery (SNB and Lumpectomy) Monday. Thanks for the ideas above. I was wondering about going to a hair salon to have my hair washed a few days afterward (if I can't do it) but am concerned about reclining for the wash....any suggestions?

• sbmolee
    sbmolee Member Posts: 26
    edited November 2008
    Options

My stylist let me stand up and bend over into the sink.  Good luck with your surgery!

• SheriVery
    SheriVery Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2008
    Options

This is actually in response to Otter about how the hospital told her to use a sports bra after surgery. Yikes! That has got to be uncomfortable. I have a friend who went through surgery and uses a tube top for her "after surgery" procedure. In fact, she bought them from a tube top store online called, http://www.TubeTops.net . They have breast surgery tubes you may want to try. The prices were very reasonable and she said it was comfy too! You may want to try that... or camis seem comfy too but don't really give you the support you may need.   Try them both! Best wishes to you.

• jkfran
    jkfran Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2008
    Options

Thanks so much for the list.  I am newly dx and having mx on Jan 20.  My mother died of bc about 30 years ago.  So much has changed.  She was in the hospital for months.  I worried about everything but the whole idea of coming home with drains is freaking me out. 

• Lucky-Man-Ken
    Lucky-Man-Ken Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2009
    Options

http://www.ucsfbreastcarecenter.org/jpdrainrecord.html

I found this to be helpful

Ken 

• ChrissyCA
    ChrissyCA Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2009
    Options

If you're concerned about cooking meals...

Pan fry ground beef and freeze into one meals worth of packets. Use the meat for Chilli, Tacos, Baked Ziti, Sloppy Joes etc. 

• 2new1s
    2new1s Member Posts: 900
    edited February 2009
    Options

So excited, I finally found the perfect zip-up robe to wear after my surgery.  I also got a pair of capri pajama bottoms!  Last item to still purchase is the stool softner!  From what I have read that is essential!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for all of the wonderful tips.

• PaulaLS
    PaulaLS Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2009
    Options

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!  I am scheduled for a right mastectomy with immediate implant and SLNB on 2/11.  I have been packing my hospital bag today and your ideas have been so helpful. I love the lanyards idea for the drains and can pick up a couple at work tomorrow.  Has anyone else had a skin sparing mastectomy with an immediate implant - not tissue expander.  The PS will do the implant following the mastectomy using an Alloderm sling.  Just wondering if anyone else had experience with this reconstruction.

• Jasminn
    Jasminn Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hi Ladies

I'm now 5 weeks out of by bilat, and all the suggestions here on what to buy and how to prepare for surgery were a lifesaver for me.  Thanks!

Here's one thing that helped me not be stinky in those post-op and pre-shower days, and even still today.  Roll-on deodorant...when you are able to use deodorant again  After having a bilat and lymph nodes out, I found that to use solid deodorant,  I had to apply too much pressure to my very sore underarms.  Roll-on is much less painful.  Although I hate roll-ons, I'd rather have the 10 seconds of cold, wet feeling under my arms than the pain of applying a solid.  Guess I'm just a wimp.  :-)

• 2hands4me
    2hands4me Member Posts: 39
    edited February 2009
    Options

What a great idea! I've used solid deoderant for so long that I haven't thought about using a roll-on! I've just been cringing every time I use deoderant! And my underarm sure is sore! I'll definitely be grateful for this tomorrow!!!!

• caligrlof68
    caligrlof68 Member Posts: 41
    edited February 2009
    Options

I found a Spray on deodorant called Naturally Fresh Spray Mist at the Walmart when I was shopping for the items I'd need for my trip to the hospital for mastectomy and ALND. It's all natural with no aluminum. I think this might be even better than a roll on because I won't have to touch my incisions and it eliminates the risk of contamination/infection from a roll on deodorant ball. Just my 2 cents!

Stacy 

• 2new1s
    edited February 2009
    Options

Since my BM on 2/11 I have thought of a few things to add here for after your surgery hints:

1.)  Put your shampoo, conditioner, and body soap in trial size bottles.  We use the larger size bottles and boy I had never noticed how heavy a shampoo bottle is!

2.)  Get some plastic cups to drink from.  Again, never realized how heavy a glass is to drink from!

3.)  Purchase bendy straws to drink from.  I was actually thankful to the person who invented bendy straws since it was that hard the first few days to hold the glass, let alone tip it and try and drink from a stiff straw.

4.)  If you are a soda/pop drinker as I am, purchase the tiny cans.  I think they are maybe 6 oz.  It was so much easier to hold than a full can.  They are a little more expensive, but if you only get a 6 pack or so, by the time you finish them you may be up for holding a whole can.

5.)  Make sure you have a shirt or robe that zips up.  Nothing to pull over your head for at least a week or so.  I found the most comfy zip-up short sleeved robe.  It has been a life saver.

6.)  Drain solving problem:  Zip-up hoodies or robes with pockets, I cut a slit on the inside material and popped the drains in from the inside.  No one even knows they are there.  It looks a little bulky, but much better than the drains hanging on my neck from a lanyard.

7.)  Have a lanyard to use for your drains in the shower.  I just clip the safety pins on the lanyard clip for while I shower.  It seems a little heavy on my neck while I shower, but I take it off right after I shower.

8.)  If you have someone a the house helping you out, when you need them call from your cell phone to the house phone or vice versa.  It was so much easier than trying to yell from upstairs.  Plus our cell phones have free phone to phone calls!  So I was able to call my DH or DS as many times as needed and never cost us anything!

9.)  Stool softener ~ start taking it a few days beforehand.  Totally saved me from the worst stomach aches after all the meds.

10.)  If you feel you may not be up for visitors at the hospital, just let the nurses and staff know that you prefer no visitors except DH or immediate family.  I knew that I was having a rough time emotionally as it was beforehand.  I didn't want to put on a happy face for a friend, cousin or whomever wanted to stop by.  I know the visitors mean well, but for me I just wanted peace & quiet.

11.)  Trial size roll on deodorant too!  The smaller the better, as you will notice how hard it is to lift up your arms.

For now that's what I can think of.  Hope some of this helps.  This site and this particular thread really has helped me and my family through a lot of this process!

Gentle hugs!

• Nadine54
    Nadine54 Member Posts: 162
    edited February 2009
    Options

Okay, so much to know and learn.  I think this is going to be an OJT situation.  So with my surgery coming up on Friday I am trying to figure what I should bring.  In reading the postings I see forget anything worth reading.  I live two hours away from where my surgery is going to be done.  So sounds like having a pillow in the car is a plus.  As luck goes I get to starve all day until my surgery and guess I will deal with that one.  And with luck I will go home the next day after surgery.  I was told today to bring a bra...I asked the doc and he told me a sports bra is okay but need support.  My thoughts were why do I need support with a masectomy on one side...how is a bra going to fit?  So back to the original deal, bring a bra.  To wear home I would think anything I don't have to pull over my head is a good idea and sweat pants.  Is just the basics like a robe, slippers and toothbrush and a hair brush pretty much all I need?  Keeping in mind no hospital is the Hilton, so I always over pack when going on trips but this is way different than the "normal have fun trip".  Suggestions on this? 

• jkfran
    jkfran Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2009
    Options

Nadine, 

My hospital provided me with a surgical bra.  It had a velcro front closure.  I wore that for about a week.  You might want to double check with surgeon or office staff.  The more pillows the better.  You need one between your chest and the seat belt.  You might also like one under your arm.  You definitely need a shirt that buttons down.  You might also want a zipper sweat shirt.  I actually used a  zip up fleece jacket in bad.  I am always cold.  Socks or slipper socks also a good idea if you get cold feet.  I agree nothing to read that requires concentration but you might like a couple of "rag" magazines to flip through.  I had my cell phone which was great it acted as a phone book for me and also for my DH. 

Good Luck,  I am 5 weeks post op and feeling fine.

• Nadine54
    Nadine54 Member Posts: 162
    edited February 2009
    Options

Thank you so much for the insite.  The doctor told me to bring a bra, my first thought was damn for what I will be missing one half.  I asked about a sports bra and he told me that would work because of the drains.  I thought one pillow would be helpful but you know I think two sounds great.  Man this sure sucks.  Would much rather be planning for a trip somewhere warm and be able to walk away from this...second thought I would like to run and not look back.  But I am in it for the long haul.  So guess I need to stay focused and pack today and wait for the two hour trip of my life.  I would never thought it would be me planning.  Thank you so very much for your help.  Many many hugs to all of my fellow new found friends, without you I would be lost so much more!

• 2new1s
    edited February 2009
    Options

Good luck to you Nadine54.  My other advice for you is that when you leave the hospital for your long ride home, MAKE SURE YOU ARE FILLED TO THE BRIM WITH PAIN MEDICINE!  We only live about 15-20 minutes away from the hospital and I was crying from the pain of all the bumps, stopping at lights and such.  So get lots of drugs before you go!

Gentle hugs

• btqco
    btqco Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2009
    Options

Ladies, Thanks for all the great advice.  Having single mastectomy with TRAM flap next Thursday.  I'm scared to death!  It seems worse than the cancer right now.... Have DCIS, no pain, no lumps or bumps, but I know the surgery is going to change all of that.  Today has been my worst day since being diagnosed Jan 21st.

It's been hard to find good info about what to expect after the surgery, but these suggestions about what to prepare ahead of time are terrific. 

• mikita5
    mikita5 Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2009
    Options

btqco:

Hang in there! You'll be ok.. I'll be going in on March 30th for bilat mx.. We can compare notes in April (when we're able to type again)!