Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Options

Comments

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited May 2008
    Options

bumping to the top for Nancy.

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 556
    edited May 2008
    Options

I was reading it when you did that!

• AndreaM4567
    AndreaM4567 Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2008
    Options

OK adding something else.

I have too much to say!

I found Plus Size cotton over the head sports bras. They are heavenly!

http://www.sandiegofit.com/plus_sport_bras_2.htm

I got the One Step Ahead in a 5X and I am in love.

Also, those zipper bras look like a good idea but OUCH! The bottom of the zipper rubs terrible on the skin. It is hard and plastic and in just a few short hours I had this horrible painful area that had to heal for a few days.

So if and when you can get something over your head, I highly recommend that One Step Ahead cotton sports bra. They come in up to 6x! YAHOO!

• lvtwoqlt
    edited June 2008
    Options

bumping to the top.

• lvtwoqlt
    edited June 2008
    Options

bumping to the top

• lvtwoqlt
    edited June 2008
    Options

bumping back to the first page.

• Justlin
    Justlin Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2008
    Options

This list has been so helpful....I would have been sooo unprepared! Thanks so much for the great info!

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited June 2008
    Options

bumping for naturelover

• lvtwoqlt
    edited June 2008
    Options

bumping once again

• Kymberlyn
    Kymberlyn Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2008
    Options

The list and suggestions are great.  I seen them on the front of the list several weeks ago.  Today, as I prepare for Tuesday's surgery, I was afraid that I would have to search the site to find this post.  I'm so glad to find it on the front page again.  Thanks everyone!

• lvtwoqlt
    edited June 2008
    Options

Kymberlyn, we try to keep it close to the front page to make it easier for the newbies to find. (bumping to the top) This was started after my inital surgery but I added my helpful hints to this thread. many of them I had already heard of but a few of them got me thinking, yeah that would have worked great.  and sometimes it is just the simple things that we don't think about but make such a difference in recovery.

Sheila

• lvtwoqlt
    edited June 2008
    Options

Just posted why we keep bumping to the top only to discover we've been pinned to the top!!! woo-hoo!!!

Thanks Tami and Melissa

• BarbaraS
    BarbaraS Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2008
    Options

Thought I'd add my two cents here.  I had my bl mx  5/19.  I brought clothes to come home in, but at the last minute opted to make the trip in my pajamas instead - it was so comfortable, I cant imagine putting the clothes on.

Also, if you're buying button down items specifically for the surgery - make sure they are a size or two bigger than normal so there's no struggle at all to get into them.

My lovely daughter had the recliner all set up for me when I got home - a nice memory foam pad in the chair and all my blankets and pillows ready for me to just climb in.  Our recliner is very comfortable, but the foam pad was wonderful for some added comfort. 

• BarbaraS
    BarbaraS Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2008
    Options

Sorry, forgot something else - If you'll be alone at any time, make sure there's food premade that you don't need to fuss with (sandwiches/salads in individual servings), and also keep those drinks handy.

Barbara 

• sbmolee
    sbmolee Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2008
    Options

I too am a complusive planner.  Lots of great ideas for hospital visit.  I wore a zip up hoodie, yoga pants and slip on shoes.  My best take to the hospital was chapstick.  Slept most of the time.  For home - knowing that I was not to lift after bilat mast with expanders for some time:

stocked up on heavy items (laundry soap, dry dog food, bottled water, 7up) for 2-3 months!

Day before I went in for surgery, cook some of my favorite foods and even ordered a couple takeouts from my fav restaurants to be on hand when I got hungry. 

used a service called "dinners served" - they make up dinners with all incredients included - just thaw and cook.  This was wonderful as I did not feel like cooking for a long time.

stocked up on stuff near bed - tissues, water, magazines, lots of pillows of all sizes, medicine, remote control.

Rented several movies to lay around and watch.

I am a bit ADD and the above made it easier for me to lay around. 

• chilidog25
    chilidog25 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2008
    Options

I posted this elsewhere but this seems a more appropriate site. I could not have survived my surgery with out my lip salve, my hair band (I too cut off my hair before surgery and found it to be the best thing I ever did. The hair band just kept my hair off my face,) and my custom camisole. The camisole is made from a soft cotton and has a pouch on the inside for your drains and two pockets up top which you can insert padding if you wish to have some shape. I dont have to think about my drains because they are tucked away. These are offered standard from my hospital but Im sure you can find them online. They come in small, med, large and have been a life saver to me.    

I also bought a recliner (we needed a new chair anyway) which I have spent most of my days in and find it much easier to get out of than a regular chair. I have a big cushion with arms (not sure if there is a name for this) that I put on the bed at night, lay my pillow on top of that and it keeps me up right. The arms stop me from rolling from side to side.

• Lucky
    Lucky Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2008
    Options

If I could add.....I was terrified to get an infection while in the hospital ( chemo has turned me into a germ freak)....so I packed a container of Clorox wipes.  I wiped down everything I could touch in the first room they put me prior to surgery.  My family had strict rules to wipe down my bed rails door knobs remotes and especially the bathroom in my room after surgery!!   Gave me peace of mind and the nurses thought it was a great idea!!

• GaPastor
    GaPastor Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2008
    Options

suggestion for meds:

we used a post-it pad (taped on the wall over the pain med) with the times-

Wed 2 AM, Wed 6AM, Wed 10AM, Wed 2 PM, etc- one on each page-

when the pill was taken, the page was thrown away- 

when i began to go longer, we would cross out the 6PM and write 7 PM--

after a few days, we didn't need either the pills or the reminders-

but it was great to be able to glace at the top page and see-  only 1 hour to next pill--

this was our first time with this method but i really liked it

• nourtneybhorn
    nourtneybhorn Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2008
    Options

This list is a life saver...So many things we wouldn't have thought of with all of this on our mind...My Nana is having surgery on Monday July 28th....And I think she is in a bit of denial...Having these things ready will make it easier to focus on her and not be worried about the things I should have brought and didn't....THANKS soooo much...From A newcomer

• YUMMY
    YUMMY Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2008
    Options

One item I discovered from my homecare nurse were 'skin prep wipes'.  These help prep the skin for tape and other adhesives... like from my wound vac because I had a complication with my belly from my TRAM.  The wipes help the tape adhere, but it also makes the removal much easier, less painful with less skin beakdown.  I got the generic at a medical pharmacy and they were 50 for about $5 (the brand name were about $20!).  They come in little packets like alcohol swabs.  Wipe it on the area the tape is going to go, let dry and then tape.  They were a real life-saver for me.

• sbmolee
    edited August 2008
    Options

I also kept a small notebook for the meds I took when I got home.  I wrote down the med name and each time I took one I wrote down the date/time and number of pills (1/2, 1 or 2)   It helps when I did not take them at the same time or was trying to ween myself off the pain meds to see if and how long I could go past the time I could take them. 

• Lianne
    Lianne Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2008
    Options

this is wonderful!  I will be putting this information to good use.  Thank you to all who added their two cents!

• lvtwoqlt
    edited August 2008
    Options

Lianne, I am glad you like this list, i did not have it before my surgery but have added several ideas I found to be effective. There are also a few other threads I bumped to the top of the board that also have good ideas on them.

Sheila

• DebInTN
    DebInTN Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2008
    Options

A couple of ideas come to mind:

I had a TRAM Flap Reconstruction, so had 3 drains.  I bought nightshirts to sleep in (and to wear around the house).  I bought them a size too big and they were long enough to cover my rear and concealed the drains nicely.  Also, bought a 6-pack of white cotton briefs in a size too big. They also helped to hide the tubing and were not too tight on my incision.  I bought a multi-pack of white socks and wore them at the hospital every time I got out of bed.  Before putting my feet back in the bed I would have someone remove the socks - I was so afraid of getting an infection - and we would bleach the socks and the underwear.  The other helpful item was one of the semi-circle pillows that I used to keep my head upright when I was having to sleep elevated. My other helpful suggestion is to not let yourself get constipated.  If they ask you about it at the hospital tell them the truth!  And don't wait 2-3 days thinking it'll get better. 

• hostanut
    hostanut Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2008
    Options

I went to WalMart and found the BestForm front hook closure bra.  The price was certainly right, at $6.97, but the cups didn't seem to fill real well.  I had tried a $20 Underscore zip up front athletic type bra at Penney's, and it was very comfortable.  Of course this is all before my surgery.   Has anyone bought the Penney's bra, and did it work well?  I'm just thinking if I'm in pain, I'd rather just zip up rather than having to hook 4-5 hooks.   Thanks!

Nancy

• aurabelle
    aurabelle Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2008
    Options

Hi all, just home from tramflap reconst.  Surg. was 8/8 and I came home 8/17 with 2 stomach drains.  My dr. said I could shower if I didn't get the drains wet but I 'm not sure how to do that.  Any one with any ideas?.  When I had my bi-lat my surg. let me shower with the drains.  thanks

Aurabella

• sbmolee
    edited August 2008
    Options

I put 3M Nexcare tagaderm transparent bandage over the port where it exited my skin when I showered.  I found a 4inX4in size.  It is like a big piece of clear stretchy tape (like they put over an IV during surgery)

• Wink
    Wink Member Posts: 476
    edited August 2008
    Options

I'm soooo glad that I found this topic; why doesn't someone tell you these things!?  I never even considered the issue of wearing button-front shirts...but duh, of course you're not going to want to pull anything over your head!  I'm scheduled to have a bi-lat mastectomy at 0900 tomorrow morning.  I have to be here (I work at the hospital) at 0700 to get the dye injected for the SNB; as soon as it's were it's supposed to be...I'll be on my way to being the Not-so-Young, and the Breastless.  It will be so good to get the surgery part of it over with!  I've worked a Baylor shift weekend (2-16.5 hour shifts)in addition to three 8 hour shifts Wed - Fri (has helped keep my mind occupied on something other than the big CA).  I've given my husband a list of last-minute items that I need (after re-reading this list) and feel that I am mostly prepared. I work with some Angels and one of them will be my admitting nurse and the other my surgical nurse.  I'm blessed to have these and other Angels looking after me. Innocent

• sbmolee
    edited August 2008
    Options

MissingWink - Good luck tomorrow!  Many good threads on what to expect in the weeks to come.

• dendell08
    dendell08 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2008
    Options

I used a new product called surgishorts..They were the best for drains.  Their website will be launched this week.  surgishorts.com  Check it out or ask your Dr.  if they use them.  I felt much calmer about going out in public and also sleeping.