Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Comments

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited May 2013

Softball, I am so sorry for your news, it must have been jarring.  Hate it when they get it wrong.  I have tape residue too, so I will be watching for answers with you.  

I am thinking about you and sending you hugs.  I had a rare kind of tumor in 2008, they studied it at FOUR tumor boards.  I know how that feels.  {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

• Skagitphoenix
    Skagitphoenix Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2013

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts! The baby oil gel did work for getting the tape residue off. It's best to let it sit for quite awhile - its also wise to make sure it is tape residue & not part of your surgical scarring before you start scrubbing (take it from me, it hurts to scrub on any part of your surgery site!).

For those of you looking for compression bras or bindings, bras with drain tube pockets, and mastectomy bras, I found that Sears online carries quite a bit of stuff and their prices are decent, too. However, their website didn't have any details regarding the products, which I found very frustrating. I want to know if an item is machine washable before I buy it. And I want to know what exactly they mean by a mastectomy bra - does that mean it comes with padding or that it has pockets for the inserts or what? Perhaps some of their larger stores have the items in them. And some items may have better descriptions on other sites.

Anyway I was surprised that Sears had such items & decent prices.

Take care everyone!

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited May 2013

Softball - I didn't know that about Sears. Do you know that your insurance will probably cover at least a portion of bras? It might be worth it to see if they do. It will require an RX from your doc and using a fitter who files insurance. I agree that the Sears site was not very descriptive with no user ratings. BUT - those are name brand items and you should be able to find desc./ratings on other sites. Don't think I've ever seen them in stores but then again probably never looked since I wouldn't need them.

Funny thing I watched part of infomercial on Comfortisse bras just today and they are on Sears. Looked comfy much like the AHH bra.

Hope you are on your way to getting your path report answers.

• Steph01
    Steph01 Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2013

Ms. Softball: I am so sorry to hear about your pathology report. What's next? More surgery? Do they need to do a lymph node biopsy on the left, now? I, too, have (had) cancer in both breasts. Last year I was diagnosed with Invasive Lobular (ILC) in left breast, my lymph nodes were clean. This month I found out that I have Invasive Ductal (IDC) in the right breast: like you, cancer in both sides and different cancers. My surgeon said that having the ILC, which is less common, makes you at greater risk for the IDC. I guess that means its not uncommon. I think you probably need to find out if it was invasive or in situ. If invasive, I would push for a lymph node biopsy to see if it has spread. I, too, am having my case "presented" at a tumor conference. For me, it will be before the surgery and will help determine what type of surgery I will have. Your tumor conference may help your doctors decide on what follow-up treatment you need. Don't think of yourself as an interesting case study: they are still working on your case, not just using it as a learning opportunity!

• Chinneymae
    Chinneymae Member Posts: 173
    edited May 2013

Hello Ladies,

For those of you that are getting ready for surgery, I have a shirt that was made to hold your drains. It is pink and has two big pockets on the inside for the drains. I got this shirt from grammietofour on this site and it was really a life saver. I wore the shirt home from the hospital and also works great for the first checkup appointment. If anyone would like to have this shirt I would be glad to mail it to you. Grammietofour has enclosed her story and I will also enclose mine to you as well. Grammietofour will keep up with the travels of the pink shirt to see where it goes. She is calling it the "Traveling Pink Shirt Sisterhood" I thought this was a neat idea. Please send me a message if you would like to be a member of the "Traveling Pink Shirt Sisterhood" and I will be glad to mail the shirt to you.

• jakig
    jakig Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2013

I'm getting ready for mastectomy May 30th, and DIEP June 10th.  What are "pain blasters" for the abdomen post DIEP?  If I need them, need to know what they are and suggestions on how/where to get them???

• mshelton
    mshelton Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2013

I'm back from bxm and would recommend one item from my experience.  When you wake up after surgery, you have an extremely dry mouth.  In this case, it seems way more than just cotton mouth. No matter how much I drank once in my hospital room, I could not get my mouth to feel not totally dried out.   I had a sample of biotene for dry mouth management that my dentist had given me.  I was wishing I had that sample for that first 12 hours or so. It is a oral rinse and mouth moisturizing gel.  I've seen Biotene for sell with the other mouthwash and toothpastes in stores. 

• shinning_like_me
    shinning_like_me Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2013

WOW,

sounds good and so helpful to me. CAN YOU EVEN tell me where did you buy one from

• randgmom
    randgmom Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013

Hi.  So I am a little confused.  I am having bmx with TE and have no idea what to expect other than 3 weeks of recovery.  How bad is it?  Will I be able to get out of bed?  Walk around?  I read I can't shower, drive, laundry etc.  I don't understand the need for button up shirts.  Will I not be able to lift my arms above my head?  What about brushing my teeth?  What about laying flat?  I have to sleep sitting up?  I'm sorry for all the questions, but there are so many posts and of varying degrees and I still havent figured out wuite how to decipher them all :-)  Anh help, pointers, suggestions, tips would be soooo greatly appreciated.  Starting to freak out a little.  Thanks

• Chinneymae
    edited June 2013

randgmom: I'm sorry you have to be here, you have definitely come to the right place there are so many on here that can help you. I had my bmx with TEs on May 8th and went home on May 10th. I was able to shower but not bathe. I'm still not allowed to take a tub bath yet. I used a hospital bed to get up and down because you won't be able to put pressure on your arms for the first week or so. Some use a recliner. I put a shower chair in the tub and used the hand shower to wash my hair. The button up shirts are easier to get on and off. I used button up pjs and shirts for the first week but after that I was able to use pullovers. One thing I did was get some mens tank undershirts and made a big hem in the bottom with dividers to hold the drains. It made it so much easier for me to sleep with them. My DH was with me all the time and helped me with most everything. You may want someone with you the first week. My PS didn't want me to drive the first few weeks, but I did drive for short distances after about two weeks. You may want to practice getting up and down without using your arms before your surgery. The surgery wasn't that bad and the pain was very minimal with the pain meds. You may want to visit other topics on here to get as much info as you can. I wish you all the best and you will be in my prayers. If I can be of any further help please let me know. Hugs

• BoatinGirl
    BoatinGirl Member Posts: 49
    edited July 2013

Thanks for the Biotene reminder mshelton!  That was nice to have on hand.  Bought the gum and the spray for right afterwards.

I know folks have mentioned lanyards for holding drains when you take showers.  I also found them helpful when you get dressed. 

• gavinsgrandma
    gavinsgrandma Member Posts: 115
    edited July 2013

Hi Ladies, I am scheduled for BLM with reconstruction on Thursday July 18th, I feel pretty prepaired and I have looked through the post's on this thread. No one post-op has posted anything since April that might be helpful for those of us heading to surgery soon. If anyone can do so that would be great and I will remind those with upcoming and recent surgeries to check this thread. Thank's.

Shary🌻

• BoatinGirl
    edited July 2013

Hi Shary - I just had my BMX with TE's about 2 weeks ago.  The posts, while done earlier, really do capture the main things.  If I had to recap, I would say:

- Don't bring your own gown/robe/slippers.  Just use hospital gowns & footie socks.  No need to bring your stuff (hospital germs etc...).

- Your pain meds will make you constipated, so do use stool softeners just before surgery.

- Your pain meds will make your throat dry, so bring lip balm & Biotene gum

- Your pain meds will make you tired.  I did not watch tv, read a book or listen to music.  I did though have visitors that passed the time.

- The first 12 hours post surgery, the best thing you can do is stay ahead of the pain, and push your handy morphine pump.  After that though, I would recommend trying to get off of it (IF you can), and move to Tylenol/Advil/Norco.  You will feel less sluggish and more like yourself.  Also tried to get off Norco after one night at home, to feel less sluggish.  Used Advil PM at night instead.

- The hospital gave me sheets for recording drain output, so did not need a notebook.

- Zip up or button up top for trip to and from hospital.  Easy pull on sweatpants/shorts and shoes.  I actually found a top that had pockets on the inside, so stuck my drains in those.  If you can't find, a cami with pockets, or even a

- Fill prescrips before you go home.

- Have lanyards at home, to clip on your drains, and help you shower and get dressed.

- I slept on a recliner one night, but moved to my bed with LOTS of pillows.  Far more comfortable.

- A stretchy front close bra.  Did not wear from hospital, but used afterward.  Just kept bandage on for the first couple of days.

- Make your post-surgery appt ahead of time with your PS.  I saw him 6 days later and was able to get drains out right away.

- Make your post-surgery appt ahead of time with your BS.  I saw her the same day, and she provided the pathology results then.

- Folks have recommended a pillow for the car ride home, for the seat belts.  I just sat in back, and only strapped in at the waist :0)

Hope this helps. 

• gavinsgrandma
    edited July 2013

Boatingirl, thanks for your updated tips, good call on the hospital germs, I am going to wear my post op Cami's with drain pockets to the hospital and comfy pull on Capri sweats, got some biotene spray and I always have my lip balm. I am confused about the lanyards, thought we could not shower with the drains in? Got my Norco Rx filled already and I have a travel pillow for my chest (3 hour ride home) and my lymph pillow for under my arm. Also got a body pillow and I have xtra pillows at home as I do not know where I will be most comfortable. Thanks again.

Shary🌻

• BoatinGirl
    edited July 2013

Hi - my PS allows patients to shower 48 hours after surgery.  So I bought 4 lanyards at Office Max, and used them to clip my drains and was able to shower easily.

I also used my lanyards when changing tops.  Having your drains not attached to clothing, helps you change from one top to the next.

If your cami is not front close, I would seek out one that is. 

Good luck and hugs. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 126
    edited July 2013

What kind of bra will you need if you are not having reconstruction?

• Chinneymae
    edited July 2013

I wouldn't think you would need any bra if no reconstruction. I didn't wear one home and I had reconstruction. You may just want to get some really soft t-shirts. I bought the mens tank undershirts. They were long so I turned the hem up and made pockets for the drains and slept pretty comfortably. After the drains were out I just used them under my shirts. They stretch and are easy to get on and off and were really comfortable. I still use them around the house. Some of the others that didn't have reconstruction may have some better ideas.

• mstorey48043
    mstorey48043 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013

Sound familiar. Im three days out of surgery and was told to wear a bra 24/7. Well they are killing me. The pressure under the arm is awefill. I am allergic to the tape and some skin has pulled off and is irritated along with numbness in the back of the shoulder..

I did have someone take me to a cancer store and they fitted me with a mastectomy bra, what a relief, it is very soft and comfortable and they said my insurance should cover it. You might want to give it a try,.i am feeling alot more comfortable.

• BoatinGirl
    edited July 2013

Shary - was checking in to see how your surgery went?  Hugs and good thoughts!

• gavinsgrandma
    edited July 2013

Hi boatingirl, thanks for asking, I am doing good very very sore but not alot of pain, pillows and pain pills have been my best friends for the last5 day's, we traveled to Carson City today(3 hrs) for my post-op follow up tomorrow and I am hoping to get the drains out😕I also have my 1st consult with my oncologist. My PS did not put my TE'S in during surgery due to 1st nodes testing + and 2 ?? He told me post -op he wanted me to get my treatment plan in place before we put the expanders in. Hopefully I will know more tomorrow and I will keep you posted😄

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 709
    edited July 2013

Add foam earplugs to the packing list for surgery....esp. if you are staying overnight.

• rrl
    rrl Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013

Hi all!

I am 39 and have tested positive for BRCA-1. My Mom also carries the same gene. She has had breast cancer 4 times. I have decided to get a prophylatic bi lateral mx with immediate reconstruction ( implants). I will be having it done in a few weeks. I've never had surgery and I have a low pain tolerance. If you have had this surgery can you please let me know what is realistic for recovery, meaning how long until I'm running around crazy again and how the pain really is. Also any advice on how to manage things post surgery etc.Anyone from Northern VA?

Thanks guys!
  • lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited August 2013

I bought (online and not Amazon) a thick, long sheepskin cover for the seatbelt.  That has been a keeper from the first mx/diep surgery to the second stage 2 yesterday. Don't buy a fake fleece one, get a genuine sheepskin and in the longest length that velcro on/off to be moved to passenger or driver.  The thick fleece stays soft over time and displaces the weight of the belt making it more comfortable to be across your chest, buckled in. 

• cocok
    cocok Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2013

I would like to donate two camisoles. Both x-small. One camisole is Gentle Touch style 369, black, with velcro closure and pockets for drains. The other one is Amoena,#2105, white. I wore this after the drains came out. I know these things are expensive. If anyone could use them, I will gladly mail them to you free-of-charge.

• unpluggedparent
    unpluggedparent Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013

Suggestion that pre op nurse gave me: start colase (stool softener) the night before surgery. (It's very gentle so no harm done by starting it early.) If no bowl movements by day 3 post-surgery, try colase with senna.

Percocet was my b.f.f. the first two days but by day 3 made me horribly nauseated and took 2 days to get over it. I didn't know that was an issue with Percocet so found out the hard way.

Look into a home health nurse. Kaiser (my HMO) covers it but doesn't offer if you don't ask for it. Can you believe that nonsense?

Best of luck to my brave sisters.

• lili1964
    lili1964 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2013

cocok,

If nobody has requested the 2 items you've listed, I would love to take them off your hands.  The hospital didn't set me up at all for what I'd need post surgery; still have 2 drains but believe it is likely I'll be wearing camisoles even when they come out.  Happen to have lost a lot of weight over past 2 years and I am a size XS.

Please let me know and feel free to private message me.

• Katlebbie
    Katlebbie Member Posts: 722
    edited September 2013

I want to thank everyone for the wonderful suggestions. I had a mastectomy and reconstruction done 19 years ago and now need a reconstruction revision. I forgot about all of these issues! The bras are something new I don't remember wearing them after the mastectomy or the exchange.

Good luck to all and thanks for the advice.

Kat

• Starmusic
    Starmusic Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2013

This is my first time to post. Thank you, everyone, for sharing your experiences. It has been so so incredibly helpful! I have been reading here since April... just had mastectomy yesterday, doing well so far. I wanted to recommend a great book to prepare for surgery: Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster by Peggy Huddleston. Best wishes to all of you!

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836
    edited September 2013

I ordered a drain belt before my 8/23 surgery- it ended up from the TLC site, who has the catalogue with hats and wigs. It was great- got my last drain out yesterday after 2 1/2 weeks. The belt velcroes closed, and comes with 4 pouches for drains, that velcro to the belt. I wore it 24/7.  never worried about drains hanging, etc. Couldnt shower til drains out per my PS,  so it was easy to take off and on to wash up.

Have tons of different size/softness pillows on hand, so you can 'nest' yourself in bed or chair to be most comfortable. You will be back sleeping for a long time.  Nurses had apillow under my knees at hospital and I continued that for several weeks at home. Seemed better for my back, and propped me better to back sleep.

I really wanted a one bed room at the hospital so I told that to every person I saw starting from pre-op check in. Got lucky and no room mate- just made it better for those few days in hospital.

yes- colace and Miralax before surgery.

Have lots of things counter level before surgery- you wont be able to lift arms too high necessarily, andyou wont be able to lift much right away- even a regular coffee cup. Get some paper cups so you dont have to try lifting a full heavy mug. Or plastic travel mug.

• flatchested2013
    flatchested2013 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago.  All the suggestions are great and I wish I had read this before having surgery. The only thing that I would add is is a wide back brace... I used this to wrap around the drains when I would go out in public. I had 4 and they tended to bounce around under the t-shirt.  The brace held them down and even gave me a slimmer look.  It also helped to have 2 drain belts .... one for daily wear and one for the shower.  I came home in a compression bra that I wore for several days.  It feels better to have a little pressure.