Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Options

Comments

• Tiffin68
    Tiffin68 Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2020
    Options

MinusTwo-Yes, I am having a BMX. Not sure why I put DMX. I'm going to say I have chemo brain. I definitely have the pillows covered. I am a side sleeper as well so this is going to be interesting.

I have been so focused on getting through chemo I just started getting anxious about my surgery and radiation. Any pointers you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,090
    edited June 2020
    Options

Tiffin - there really are some great hints in the header of this thread & previous posts.

I didn't have loose button up shirts so I bought a couple of inexpensive men's 2nds at places like TJ Max. You definitely won't want to lift your arms above shoulder height for awhile. So move things you need on top shelves down lower. And if you buy big quantities - like a gallon of milk - you may want to split into two container so it's not too heavy.

My doc let me shower as long as I covered the incisions & the drain holes. I used Glad Press N' Seal. I wrapped it around my chest and nothing ever got wet. (tip from a friend with a broken leg). I did use a shower chair and a hand held shower for the first couple of times.

• Tiffin68
    edited June 2020
    Options

MinusTwo - I have started a shopping list of things I need to buy. I am going to see about ordering some shirts online. Great idea about putting things in smaller containers.

I received my post-op instructions yesterday. My surgeon will let me shower every other day. Thanks for the Glad Press N' Seal. I will add it to my list. I'm also going to check into the shower chair. My parents may have one.

Thank you so much for the responses!

• minustwo
    edited June 2020
    Options

Tiffin - I came home in a surgery bra and they gave me an extra one. I used light day panty liners over the incisions (they stick to the inside of the bra) so I didn't have to tape anything.

• Tiffin68
    edited June 2020
    Options

MinusTwo-I will add light day panty liners to my list. The surgeon's office did mention a surgery bra. I will make sure to ask them about that at my pre-op appointment next week.

• minustwo
    edited June 2020
    Options

bumping

• minustwo
    edited June 2020
    Options

As with the chemo thread - bumping this again to keep it visable.

• minustwo
    edited August 2020
    Options

Bumping for Living

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    edited September 2020
    Options

I would add a mesh fanny pack type thing you can buy on Amazon - it works wonderfully in the shower!

• minustwo
    edited September 2020
    Options

And along with the chemo tips - bumping this surgery "to do" tip list to keep it active.

• fightingmama
    fightingmama Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2020
    Options

Thank you MinusTwo! I so need this to prepare for my mom's surgery next month.

• minustwo
    edited September 2020
    Options

You're welcome. So much good info on the BCO boards.

• minustwo
    edited September 2020
    Options

bumpint for kdholt

• minustwo
    edited October 2020
    Options

TIme to bump again. Great information

• minustwo
    edited October 2020
    Options

Bumping for Halloween. If you have surgery coming up, check it out.

• minustwo
    edited November 2020
    Options

Bumping for newbies

• Askmissa
    Askmissa Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2020
    Options

I made a bunch of videos on how I prepared for my double mastectomy and reconstruction. I share my experience and recovery. Many women have found these videos helpful if you want to check them out - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0i-WxYB_8kNACLA52_p4SFdwEy_WA411

• mtspacekace
    mtspacekace Member Posts: 123
    edited November 2020
    Options

looking for some advice... Buying some zip front bras, and don’t know what size to get. I’m having a double mastectomy with expanders. Should I go up a cup size? I assume there will be swelling?? Or get one the size I should be, and one bigger??

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited November 2020
    Options

mtspacekace - I would ask your plastic surgeon what their wishes are, if you havent already - you will likely leave the hospital in a surgical bra or surgical camisole. I woke up after a skin and nipple sparing BMX with expanders in a camisole with drain pouches. I never wore a front zip bra, rather stayed in the camisole and then moved to no bra for a bit until my incisions, which were in the IMF where the bottom band of the bra was, were not painful. I then wore Coobie bras because they have a lightly padded modesty shield in the cup that helped with shape, and had no hooks, were stretchy and comfy. I could step into the bra and pull it up, so it was easy to put on. I know that many wear the Fruit of the Loom front zips, and I would allow space for bandaging and swelling, so at least one size bigger than normal if you go that route.

• minustwo
    edited November 2020
    Options

bumping per request

• KMouse
    KMouse Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2020
    Options

Anyone have a "packing list" suggestion for same day surgery? With COVID - they are going to try and send me home right after the mastectomy. EVERYTHING talks about a hospital stay. My surgeon says they've been doing this all year but cannot find anything (please share if you have) about going home same day and what to pack /' expect / etc. I'm trying to piece this together. . . Probably over anxious but notice I turn off anytime I see about a hospital stay, saying well that doesn't apply to me & try to read on. I will try to go bakc and re-read but would appreciate some help!

• Jt3
    Jt3 Member Posts: 103
    edited December 2020
    Options

I would pack for a stay in case there are any complications. They wanted to send me home after one night but I stayed two since I have never seen blood pressure numbers so high and felt awful. They prescribed opiods for pain meds which I am allergic to

• minustwo
    edited December 2020
    Options

I agree with Jt3. Hopefully all will be well, but you never know. Obviously if you have someone who could bring you things later, you could leave out things like pictures of your family and you probably only need one 'book'.

For ease, you could just read the 'header'. You'd miss some suggestions from later posters, but you'd get the gist and could easily eliminate long term stuff. Good luck.

Edited to say, there are things on the list that you WILL want at home so don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

• SuQu31
    SuQu31 Member Posts: 73
    edited December 2020
    Options

KMouse, I agree that being prepared for possibly staying overnight is a good idea. I had some bleeding that looked suspicious, so was taken back to surgery around midnight the night of my surgery. That's unlikely, but best to prepare your mind for the possibility. I would say leave that stuff in your vehicle, but not sure they could get it to you if needed?

Having said that, I packed as little as possible for the hospital itself. Did not want to keep up with it. You just don't need that much stuff because by the time you are feeling well enough to use it, they will send you home. Do have a pillow to use with the seatbelt going home, but it can be left in the car.

At home, the things I used the most (that I did not have before) were hand-held shower, shower stool and a mesh “Fanny pack" for my drains in the shower. You can find it on Amazon. I also used waitress aprons (amazon) to hold the drains and my glasses, phone, etc.at home. Having the drains and bulbs in the pockets kept them still (you don't want those drains to move because it hurts), and it was easier for me than buying something with pockets big enough for 4 drain bulbs. I had drains for several weeks because of my 2nd surgery (see my signature below) and the aprons really helped.

• minustwo
    edited January 2021
    Options

bumping for DH

• minustwo
    edited February 2021
    Options

February so time to bump again. Great info

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,986
    edited February 2021
    Options

Thank you for bumping! This thread is truly helpul! ThumbsUpWinking

The Mods

• joan272021
    joan272021 Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2021
    Options

I'm a planner too and had purchased two zip front sports bras in preparation for a central lumpectomy. I had a mastectomy with tissue expander placement instead and was surprised when my BS said no bras. The hospital gave me one Velcro front camisole with pockets for drains. On day two at home I started searching for soft zip or snap or Velcro front closure tank tops or camisoles so I could have multiple options and was surprised to not find great options. The style I got from the hospital costs around $60 and the fabric isn't really the softest. I finally found a snap front tank that I've ordered a couple of and am waiting for. I expect I'll wear them for a while under other button or zip up tops and jackets while I have the TE. I wish I'd known beforehand of this need and had them already. I plan to pin my remaining drain until it's removed. They're pricier than I wanted but look to be just what I was looking for. Never thought something so simple would be hard to find

• flashlight
    flashlight Member Posts: 311
    edited February 2021
    Options
  • cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    edited February 2021
    Options

Joan272021 - here’s a link to some post surgery bras. https://americanbreastcare.com/product/leisure-bra/

Amazon carries Yianna Bras.