Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Options

Comments

• joan272021
    joan272021 Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2021
    Options

Thank you for the links flashlight and Nsbrown54. I wish I’d found this community sooner :)

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,090
    edited February 2021
    Options

Joan: Welcome, although sorry you have to be here. When you get time, do to go "my profile" and enter your diagnosis & treatment plans to date. You will have to check "public" for BCO members to see, but it helps us to make relevant comments.

• minustwo
    edited March 2021
    Options

Bumping for Choco

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    edited April 2021
    Options

Bumping for Bwarden....

• meij
    meij Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2021
    Options

I am trying to get my list of things needed together. To those of you who have had DCIS and had a BMX without reconstruction, what was your experience and what things did you actually need to get you through? Some have mentioned a wedge bed pillow and I would appreciate recommendations if you used one.

• STJA16
    STJA16 Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2021
    Options

Meij,

I used this wedge. Love it. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B4Q3VS6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for what I really used, breast pads, gauze, gloves, mastectomy pillow, seatbelt pillow, all symptom pills like tylenol, pepsid, stool softner, front closure soft bras, button down blouses, lanyard to hold drains in shower, shower chair...the list goes on.

• elizabett
    elizabett Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2021
    Options

wow great list

My surgery single mastectomy if Friday. I can read medical journals without tears but somehow purchasing clothes for Friday would make me want to cry. Took 14 with me and we had fun. Arranging clothes I need quick access is very helpful. My surgeon does all her surgeries out patient it’s connected to the hospital but she said everyone goes home. My only concern is anesthesia. I think God has that covered so I’m ready except for your great closet tip. Thanks

• BatStacye
    BatStacye Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2021
    Options

This is SO helpful! & written with such enthusiasm! Really appreciate it!

• minustwo
    edited August 2021
    Options

wishing all of you just looking at surgery the best...

• minustwo
    edited September 2021
    Options

And now bumping this thread!!

• minustwo
    edited September 2021
    Options

Bumping since there is soooooo much good information

• minustwo
    edited October 2021
    Options

ANybody getting ready for surgery?

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hi MinusTwo - I'm having prophylactic mastectomy on 11/11. It'll be outpatient this time, but at least I remember what to expect.

• minustwo
    edited October 2021
    Options

NSBrown - Coming up soon! I know you are anxious to get it finished. Good luck

• loverofjesus
    loverofjesus Member Posts: 174
    edited October 2021
    Options

I will be having surgery BMX with expanders on November 2nd. Kind of nervous I suppose. But ready to get this out of me too.

• minustwo
    edited October 2021
    Options

Lover - best wishes.

I hope you are both sharing with the current surgery groups. It's been awhile for me, but there used to at least be one every couple of months - like Surgery Fall 2021. Or Surgery Nov 2021. I ended up making lasting friendship with a contemporaneous chemo group.

• dancemom
    dancemom Member Posts: 404
    edited November 2021
    Options

I keep seeing things about a recliner. Am I supposed to be buying furniture?? (Also, no space)

Thanks for this list!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited November 2021
    Options

dancemom - some are more comfortable in a recliner, but I didn't find it necessary at all. I just used a lot of pillows on my bed that kept me propped up and prevented me from turning over on my side, and I have had a ton of breast cancer related surgery. Some do the same with a sofa. You can also rent a recliner from a medical supply company for a short duration, and your insurance may possibly cover it, but it certainly is not mandatory to have one.

• minustwo
    edited November 2021
    Options

I never owned a recliner either - through 3 different surgeries. But do make sure you have lots of pillows to keep you from turning over. It was hard for me to learn to sleep on my back, but...

• GalleySlave
    GalleySlave Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2021
    Options

Questions:I've seen those mastectomy pillows that look like they have arm cut outs. Are there different pillows for BMX vs UMX recovery? I'm pretty big on the right. Once the left breast is removed, and the TE is installed, I expect to be pretty lopsided. Is that correct? I know I can't reach above my head with my left arm, but will I be able to reach above my head with my right arm?

Thanks, ladies. Your guidance is appreciated.

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    edited November 2021
    Options

My left prophylactic mastectomy was rescheduled (due to doctor illness. New date is 12/9.

• minustwo
    edited November 2021
    Options

sorry to hear that. It's hard to get geared up for surgery and then have it rescheduled.

• LMF2021
    LMF2021 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2021
    Options

I used the extensive pre-surgery list for a double mastectomy, above the muscle reconstruction all in one outpatient same day surgery on Nov. 11 and all went well. I hope yours goes well on Thursday, Nsbrown54. We were almost surgery day buddies.

I wanted to add a few items to the list that I found helpful.

1.) First a foot/step stool by your bed. Especially important if you are using a wedge and/or have a high bed.

Getting in bed with the stool, I was high enough so I could plop my bottom right where I wanted to near the lower edge of the wedge. The first few days trying to rearrange yourself in bed is very painful. You can't use your arms, so it is important to position yourself right from the beginning. If you have any memory foam on the bed, adjustments are torture.

Getting out of bed it is nice to have a step to brace your landing if your bed is high since any jerking causes pain no matter how small. Also helpful for putting your slippers on in bed. I had a large size Cosso plastic stool in the house that I used. It helped in the first week post surgery.

2) Zip up hoodies. These are helpful if you have drains because you need easy access, even buttons would be too much in the early stages. My drains were in 7 days and I rotated through 4 inexpensive regular cotton hoodies. After the drains were out I was okay with button down shirts since I didn't need to check things as often. In bed (I had an Elizabeth Pink mastectomy bra provided by the hospital with the drains attached to the bottom of my bra), the hoody contained the tubes and the bottles rested on my chest underneath and I could open the zipper and make sure everything was in order without sitting up or feeling around too much. It works well in cool or colder weather. Perhaps a lighter cotton version would work in summer.

3) Elizabeth Pink mastectomy bra - I was put in one by the hospital and I am not sure the regular $50 price tag is worth it but you could easily add the hanging drain bottle loops to any front opening sports bra, Sew in a ribbon loop on the band hanging down about 1.5 inches under the center of each breast. Using a soft plastic shower curtain snap ring or aluminum climbing ring on the ribbon loop so you can hang your drain bottles and easily remove them. I have a kitchen counter height bathroom vanity, so I could drain the bottle into the cups without removing them from the bra. It made things so much easier and no chance of dropping them and stressing the skin opening. The other advantage of hanging the bottles on the bra is that you don't risk pulling them when you remove your shirt, they are part of the bra. With a hoodie you barely notice the bottle bulge since they stick out near the bulky bottom anyway. A downside of the real Elizabeth Pink bra is the velcro closures, If you get a case of hypersensitive skin while the nerves regenerate, the velcro will drive you bonkers with itching. It gets worse after washing because the long front velcro closure gets wavy.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, you all helped me so much to prepare and cope with post surgery.

• minustwo
    edited December 2021
    Options

LMF - glad to hear everything went well. Thanks for the additional tips!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,986
    edited December 2021
    Options

These are wonderful tips, LMF2021, thank you!

The Mods

• dancemom
    edited December 2021
    Options

so, is it better to lie flat and keep pillows around so you don't roll, or should you be semi reclined on a wedge? And if on a wedge, how do you not roll off? I'm kind of obsessing with this sleeping situation!

• minustwo
    edited December 2021
    Options

I couldn't manage a wedge. I just plumped up a couple of pillows under my head & shoulders and made sure there were more pillows on each side so I couldn't turn. Since I had never in my life slept on my back - it was a challenge.

• dancemom
    edited December 2021
    Options

funny, I am now such a side sleeper after 3 kids. I had to train myself during first pregnancy to stay on my left side!, Then I would up nursing lying down most nights. (Total of 5 1/2 years, what happened to breast feeding lowering the risk of breast cancer?!) I will be prepared with pillows AND a wedge!

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,588
    edited December 2021
    Options

There are lots of different wedges! I would suggest getting one with a less steep incline - mine is really steep and I only slept like that a few times, but then the "ramp" it would make was too long (see photos on internet of some people putting a pillow at the top of a low wedge and then laying on it) and I was practically out the bottom of the bed! In the end I went with lots of pillows and then one under my knees to prevent me from rolling and take pressure off my stomach skin. Now at 4 weeks out (3 back at home) I am sleeping almost back to normal and juuussstt about to try rolling on my side. Trust me, your body will let you know if its ok to do this or not! It just doesn't feel right!

Also maybe look into a "reader" pillow - one of those heavy ones with arms. We keep one in the spare room and that + two pillows = good nights sleep.

• dancemom
    edited December 2021
    Options

my kids love those armed backrest pillows! I'll invest in one of those as well, as I know it will be easily re-gifted to one of my older kids (ie, not living here) when my husband complains we have too much stuff. Getting nervous...